• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has theere been a more consistent action franchise than Mission:Impossible?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
at the moment... Fallout, was legit one of the greatest action films of all time and the stunts are best in class (HALO jump, Tom flying a helicopter etc. etc.)

It's better than Bond, better than Fast hell better than even Wick, slightly, (and I love John Wick) but M:I is at a different scale. They been on a roll since Ghost Protocol

GUEST_8dd7b323-7948-4cb5-9471-023ff71b6544

Would have been nice to actually see that HALO jump through the CGI thunderstorm.

Fast and Furious 4 is slightly less bad than Mission Impossible 2, but MI:2 wins if we count the Metallica and Limp Bizkit music videos...

kunonabi

2 and 3 are awful but the rest is good(Fallout, Rogue Nation) to great(M:I and Ghost Protocol) so yeah it's certainly up there.

Other than the awful MI2, these are all winners. Fallout is one of the best action movies of the last decade and Rogue Nation was really good too. Ghost Protocol is solid.

I still enjoy the original

RED LIGHT

GREEN LIGHT

Last edited:
Yes OP, it is. Tom Cruise might be a looney but he makes good films.

I binge watched all of the films over the course of three days. Rogue nation, Fallout and, ghost protocol are just perfection.

The actors, the acting the stunts are all world class. The best bit? The timing, Cruise is a timing genius. Never too much suspense that it gets cheesy, never too little that it gets stale.

I cannot wait for MI:8 : Brian's brain, starring Clive Warren as Brian as Tom Cruise

Airola

Man, I knew it! It always happens... The second I thought about Bourne Identity I remembered the DVD menu theme and have been listening to it for half an hour already. Undoubtedly the best DVD menu theme ever!

Hey I've never watched a Bourne movie and I have never seen the menu screen and never heard this music, but it's pretty damn awesome!
I can kinda sense the feeling of excitement and mystery for the person who is a Bourne fan and is about to watch the movie for the first time and gets go step into the movie through the menu screen that plays this!

Rran

I've only seen the first but I enjoyed it. Eager to see the rest since I like Brad Bird, but are there any streaming services that actually have them?

Nester99

This franchise has continually delivered awesome movies.

I am shocked to see the hate for 2. I loved it and watched it a shit ton of times in 2000.

Fallout was the best IMO, I think they have Tom signed for 2 more.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I even like MI2; it’s like a random “so bad it’s good” flick in the middle of an otherwise solid and not bad series.

GymWolf

I don't know, i bail out from the saga during the second movie because i feel that the magic was gone.

But the first movie was fantastic.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I even like MI2; it’s like a random “so bad it’s good” flick in the middle of an otherwise solid and not bad series.
Came in to say the same thing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Rewatched MI2 after and long time last year and had loads of fun with it.

MI is indeed the most consistant franchise out there given the number of entries. Can't wait to see what Cruise will deliver in the next ones.

Patrick S.

Banned
Hey I've never watched a Bourne movie and I have never seen the menu screen and never heard this music, but it's pretty damn awesome!
I can kinda sense the feeling of excitement and mystery for the person who is a Bourne fan and is about to watch the movie for the first time and gets go step into the movie through the menu screen that plays this!

It really is just like that! Absolute hype theme for an awesome movie.

Airola

It really is just like that! Absolute hype theme for an awesome movie.

I've been listening to that loop a lot now :D It really is good!

I kinda also get a feeling of playing some PS1 game and having some mission briefing loading screen that plays this loop too and this image in my mind for that is awesome!

HE1NZ

Banned
Both Fallout and Rogue Nation are very disappointing, especially after fantastic Ghost Protocol. I was initially onboard with McQuarrie hype, but upon rewatching Rogue Nation realized it's really flat and overwritten action movie. Tom Cruise stopped being relateable, and the new girl is sorta like a Marvel character - completely asexual. Fallout is just crap though, it's has some Terminator Genesys level of stupid by the end. MI2 is actually fairly decent in comparison, excellent action scenes, top cheese.

I don't like the direction they're going with it. It feels more and more like Fast and Furious.

Where's the praise coming from I've no idea.

Great Hair

Banned
I found them utter boring, they only serve to promote Tom Cruise´s ego. All the characters barely have anything to tell, they have few phrases and that´s it. ALL ABOUT showing off TC and him doing things.

1 is still the best, remains "faithful" to the agent vs agent narrative, Ghost Protocol is very close though (of the newer ones). 5 and 6 are overrated. 3 is eh and 2 let´s not waste any second on it.

- Jackie Chan flicks, right before shitty Police Story 4
- Die Hard 1 to 4
- James Bond
- Lethal Weapon 1 to 4
- Mad Max 1 to 4
- Transformers 1 to 11

kunonabi

Both Fallout and Rogue Nation are very disappointing, especially after fantastic Ghost Protocol. I was initially onboard with McQuarrie hype, but upon rewatching Rogue Nation realized it's really flat and overwritten action movie. Tom Cruise stopped being relateable, and the new girl is sorta like a Marvel character - completely asexual. Fallout is just crap though, it's has some Terminator Genesys level of stupid by the end. MI2 is actually fairly decent in comparison, excellent action scenes, top cheese.

I don't like the direction they're going with it. It feels more and more like Fast and Furious.

Where's the praise coming from I've no idea.

Fallout makes for a better trailer than it does an actual film. I'm still kind of pissed Kirby had such a small role as much as I liked the callback.

bender

What time is it?
In defense of MI:2: Tom's glorious hair, Thandie Newton, John Woo doves and...yeah, it's complete trash.

Not really a fan of the series. I don't remember if I've seen MI:3 and I skipped MI4-5. Fallout was entertaining but I thought it was way overhyped.

Last edited:

lukilladog

I find the scripted chain of near to death events to be absurd and abused in most of them, not my type of movies.

Last edited:

Rotten Tomatoes posted this, it's probably the first time I actually agree with a list from them. I just think the first movie is rated too low. It's a very good flick.

I love the first one. Some great scenes and lines, especially for the time.

Saturnman

Banned
at the moment... Fallout, was legit one of the greatest action films of all time and the stunts are best in class (HALO jump, Tom flying a helicopter etc. etc.)

It's better than Bond, better than Fast hell better than even Wick, slightly, (and I love John Wick) but M:I is at a different scale. They been on a roll since Ghost Protocol

GUEST_8dd7b323-7948-4cb5-9471-023ff71b6544

No other series comes close. Every single movie in that series sucks. Has little to do with the original tv series. Features Tom Cruise, one of the most undeserving Hollywood stars. He does some of his own stunts? Who cares?

bender

What time is it?
These thread inspired me to fill in the Mission Impossible gaps. I hadn't seen MI:3 until yesterday. While it fills in some gaps in my understanding of the series (wife from Fallout) and it's better than MI:2 (not saying a whole lot), it's a forgettable action flick. On to Ghost Protocol.

2 is absolute trash.
Yeah as an Aussie i appreciate the big Hollywood movie being made here but that movie was a steaming pile of shit
there are perfume commercials that were shot better and made more sense

The Cruise missile is starting to look a little leathery these days however

bender

What time is it?
Ghost Protocol:

+Prison escape
-Hallway screen/camera gag
+Hospital zip line escape.
+Jeremy Renner
-Bullets aren't a danger that far under water.
-Train entry gag.
-Dubai building climb. The glove gag is silly and MI:2 Ethan was a free solo monster.
+Dubai build repel. A bit more fun going down than up.
-Something tells me people would pull over and not drive in a sandstorm.
-Uranus joke!
-That wacky briefcase.
-US needs to upgrade their missile defense system.
+Ving Rhames...finally.

Weird balance of humor in the movie that doesn't work more often than it does. Fun movie but a little too slapstick for my tastes.

This post sponsored by BMW.

Top Bottom