• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
They're gonna get review bombed if they keep JonTron, and they're gonna get review bombed if they remove JonTron. They're fucked either way.
Generally the sort of people who have a problem with white supremacists (aka the people with basic maturity and decency) aren't the sort of people who review bomb.

Those of you who have watched any Roman Polanski movie since 1977, or The Naked Gun any time since 1994, please raise your hands. Now would you kindly make your way outside and stop being hypocrites.

Rubbish argument. There are things folks can be doing right this second to combat the legitimization of a white supremacist and you want to kill all discussion about it because people often make decisions based on imperfect information.

Zutrax

Knowing his presence is in the game sucks, but I don't particularly think we should be scolding Gears for Breakfast or the game itself for the cursory actions of a person they worked with (Which I believe may have been prior to him becoming publicly known to be racist). A comment would be nice, but we don't know the all the logistics behind this situation. Gears for Breakfast themselves don't seem like shitty people and I'd assume they don't condone his racist remarks and behavior, maybe it's naive of me to make that assumption, but from their online presence they seem like decent folk.

It's true, the avoidance of controversy is sometimes just as bad as those spouting the controversy, as it doesn't lead to confrontation to allow for further education on the topic for those surrounding and involved. But unlike Yooka Laylee this is also an smaller studio of less experienced developers, it could be much more effort and money that they don't have at the moment on their part to replace the voices. It could be any number of reasons that the general public is unaware of contractually or otherwise, and I don't think shaming them for the actions of another that they were involved with is a fair way to go about it. Jontron was also probably already paid, so I don't believe, and hope, the money doesn't go to him.

I feel like for Gears for Breakfast it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Even if I want them to make a statement, I can understand why they might not either.

L Thammy

Those of you who have watched any Roman Polanski movie since 1977, or The Naked Gun any time since 1994, please raise your hands. Now would you kindly make your way outside and stop being hypocrites.

I have done neither of those things. Do I win a prize or something?

He had viruses in zip files for some fan games he put out. This was on MFGG about a decade ago.

I also caught wind of what happened with him and MaxofS2D.

It's old news but still rubbed me the wrong way.

"it escalated into him making a hate/doxx website about me. I had IP proof and everything it was him but he never admitted it"

Wow. Maybe he's grown up a lot since them, but that's, uh. That's something.

Playtonic took a lot of heat over removing Jontron yet Gears for Breakfast just gets away with it.

Regardless, I wasn't interested in Hat in Time due to personal reasons. Long story short I knew MechatheSlag on an old gaming forum and he had quite the bad reputation.

Can you expand on this? It wouldn't surprise me if one shit heel supports another.

Oh no. A racist in my vidyagaemz? Gosh diggity darn it.

Time to start background checking everyone that's involved in the creation of an entertainment product you consume. I bet there's a lot worse shit out there than JonTron.

Muh vidyagaems!!!

jluedtke

Wait...before we go boycott crazy, can we get some definitive facts?

Like, how did he come to have a voice in the game? Did he pay for it as a backer reward? Did they hire him as a "celebrity" voice?

What's his role? How prominent is he in the game? Is his voice being removed?

Maybe someone should reach out to the developer before everybody busts out the torches and pitchforks.

I backed the game years ago, so they've already got my money. And, of course, fuck nazis and white supremacists. But I'm not going to start shitting myself until I know what's really going on outside of a few vague details on a message board.

Interfectum

Time to start background checking everyone that's involved in the creation of an entertainment product you consume. I bet there's a lot worse shit out there than JonTron.

The cool thing is, you don't have to research this one or do background checks. He gladly came out as a racist all by himself. You want to set your morality aside to play some vidyagaemz that's on you.

Well this post is all sorts of terrible.

You do understand the definitions of involuntary and voluntary actions, right?

mothball

They're gonna get review bombed if they keep JonTron

I think you're overestimating how many people give a shit about this outside of NeoGAF. Even here I have my doubts about how many of the people making a big deal of this were truly prospective buyers rather than just people wanting to show everyone how noble they are.

I don't think there's anything worse than the toxic shit Jon spewed. You'd have to be a literal Nazi to beat that.

Nheco

If the game is good, it will sell well. So, if you like it just buy it...

Most of folks don't even know who is JonTron.

LordKasual

Banned
This seems like an immensely petty thing to personally hold against a developer

they had no control over him revealing himself to be a moron, and if his role is extensive, removing him will be even harder and more expensive to deal with

Removing him would be great, but I feel like most of us here should know how time, money, and resources work enough to not shit on the developer for leaving it alone.

.....but it's always easy to know the right choice when you personally have nothing on the line

He's a white supremacist. He went full on "minorities ruin the gene pool".

He's a minority you are aware of that right? Lol
I don't really mind if he's in it or not.
Regardless of his position in politics, I could care less if he's in this game or not. But I couldn't believe how out of control this thread has gotten with hate over a game thats been reviewed well so far.

Since its a steam release I'm sure there will be an anti jontron patch for everyone upset about it. So don't worry antiJT gafers you'll get your game eventually.

Carl

That must be big of you.

You do realise such people don't work for free and the money they earn can end up going towards some pretty nasty bigoted organisations, right?

I can understand more someone not taking a stand against what is a small part, but if this is your general stance I don't know what to say.

He's already got the money, buying or not buying this game has no effect on that

Jontron may be a racist chucklebutt of a person who doesn't deserve the audience he has on YT but I think it's wrong to punish the developer just because they used him in a small voiceover role years before he outed himself.

If he is in the final release build of the game though and you are absolutely, positively determined to not give him the time of day, why not turn on the game's mumble mode?

I looked at youtube trending and was grossed out to see that he's making videos again like nothing happened and people are lapping it up

HeatBoost

If being a piece of shit racist won't stop you from being a president, it doesn't surprise me when it doesn't stop people from voice acting in a video game

Hell I'm more surprised the latter didn't happen first, given where people's priorities are when it comes to games.

"David Duke might have some controversial political views but I've waited my entire life for a Pokemon MMO and I'm not going to let him voicing Professor Oak stop me"

Santiako

Regardless of his position in politics, I could care less if he's in this game or not. But I couldn't believe how out of control this thread has gotten with hate over a game thats been reviewed well so far.

Since its a steam release I'm sure there will be an anti jontron patch for everyone upset about it. So don't worry antiJT gafers you'll get your game eventually.

Oh he got really offended when the guy that was interviewing him told him that he's not white.

Cepheus

Ho-lee shit. Holy both sides-ing, Batman! 'Regardless of his position in politics'? So you'd buy a game with Richard Spencer doing a voice in it? Milo too?

He's already got the money, buying or not buying this game has no effect on that

It's true that it's therefore a matter of principle at this stage. Which doesn't lessen the importance of choosing not to support if that's your stance in the slightest.

PSqueak

Banned

You think this makes it okay and not even worse that he's a piece of shit "i got mine, fuck you" kind?

He was born in the USA despite being born to immigrants and he suddenly feels white "American" enough to be a piece of shit xenophobic, white supremacist idiot.

Mael

At this point it's not about having to hear Jontron.
You're completely missing the point by a mile.
It basically tells us that the dev team is perfectly ok with nazis.
Why would anyone support these people?

I've no desire to punish a company retroactively for associating with that dipshit before revealing his full levels of awfulness. I would reconsider any game or person working with him going forward from that incident, but considering this was all done way ahead of time I've no real issue here.

It also helps I don't even know what he sounds like so I wouldn't be able to identify him anyway. I'll still be buying the game on launch.

Toxi

Banned
I don't think Jontron is aware of that, considering how he reacted to people pointing this out.

Whether or not he's "white", he's still a hateful cunt who spouts white supremacist rhetoric like a shit fountain.

I'm really not surprised. MechaTheSlag has a really fishy track record, primarily through mistreatment of partners during his modding days, and unnecessarily slandering them long after. Granted, he hasn't publicly defended Jon, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't care. I've kept tabs on the game for a while, because it genuinely looks like a solid game, but this is good enough incentive to avoid it. Best for me to save my money right now, anyways.

Reposting for new page, because input on the GAF issue that comes out of this is needed.

I was very excited for this game and yet was not aware of JonTron's involvement. To then hear that he has not been removed from the finished product is dismaying. I was signed up to make the OT for this game. Cross-posting what I just posted in the OT thread:

Due to issues surrounding A Hat in Time brought to my attention by Cerium, I concur that a dialogue needs to take place regarding whether or not it's appropriate to platform this game on GAF due to the JonTron controversy. Mod input would be appreciated.

mas8705

So how significant is his role in A Hat in Time? If it is as big as Yooka-Laylee, then I really don't see what the problem here is if you barely hear him speak.

Probably should also go out and say that, "No, I do not agree with the JonTron's thoughts," or anything as such in terms of anything related to white supremacy. However, it would be dumb to throw an entire game under the bus over giving him a one small insignificant role like a "Talking Outhouse" (again, out of Yooka-Laylee. Don't know what his role is in A Hat In Time).

Now... If there was a kickstarted game that had JonTron has the main lead, then you can argue some issues there for sure, but if his role in A Hat in Time is like 30 seconds to a minute long, then that's just a few moments of listening to him in comparison to however long the game itself is.

Anung

Un Rama
He is! Huh... I know he has been accused of being racist but didn’t know he for sure was a nazi. Proof?

C3dC0SwWYAYrIWO.jpg

KLoWn

This seems like an immensely petty thing to personally hold against a developer

they had no control over him revealing himself to be a moron, and if his role is extensive, removing him will be even harder and more expensive to deal with

Removing him would be great, but I feel like most of us here should know how time, money, and resources work enough to not shit on the developer for leaving it alone.

.....but it's always easy to know the right choice when you personally have nothing on the line
This.

I'm not even interested in the game but I'm considering buying a copy just to support the people making this, considering the shit that's probably about to hit them (review bombing and whatnot).

Reposting for new page, because input on the GAF issue that comes out of this is needed.
Are you saying the game shouldn't get an OT because of one VO cameo? Seems incredibly disrespectful to the people who have been working on this, no?

Jontron may be a racist chucklebutt of a person who doesn't deserve the audience he has on YT but I think it's wrong to punish the developer just because they used him in a small voiceover role years before he outed himself.

If he is in the final release build of the game though and you are absolutely, positively determined to not give him the time of day, why not turn on the game's mumble mode?

Except this didn't just happen last week. Jon Tron made these statements back in March 2017, over seven months ago. There is no excuse for the developer not having taken care of this prior to release or at least making a statement condemning his comments.

A Google employee outed himself as a racist. I really hope Google deleted and rewrote all of his code, or I'm never using Google products again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom