Hatred of journalists whipped up by populist and authoritarian leaders has degenerated into violence across the world

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I think this fits perfectly^^

Good grief.

Lyz Lenz has been published in the New York Times, Buzzfeed, Washington Post, The Guardian, ESPN, Marie Claire, Mashable, Salon, and more. Her book Belabored: Tales of Myth, Medicine, and Motherhood is forthcoming. She also has an essay in the anthology Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture edited by Roxane Gay. Lenz holds an MFA in creative writing from Lesley University and is a contributing writer to the Columbia Journalism Review"

This is why people hate, loathe, distrust, and shed nary a tear for "journalists".

Did it to themselves.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Good grief.

Lyz Lenz has been published in the New York Times, Buzzfeed, Washington Post, The Guardian, ESPN, Marie Claire, Mashable, Salon, and more. Her book Belabored: Tales of Myth, Medicine, and Motherhood is forthcoming. She also has an essay in the anthology Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture edited by Roxane Gay. Lenz holds an MFA in creative writing from Lesley University and is a contributing writer to the Columbia Journalism Review"

This is why people hate, loathe, distrust, and shed nary a tear for "journalists".

Did it to themselves.
What I wanna know is why a creative writer is working as a journalist

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Good grief.

Did it to themselves.
A lot of them operate from a huge ego and power trip. They threaten the well-being of others with abuse of their platform when shit doesn’t go their way.

Then they cry foul when it comes back at them with zero self reflection or accountability.

Be better, journalists, and things will improve.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Good grief.

Did it to themselves.
Her Twitter is quite a show. How get someone insane verified?

https://twitter.com/lyzl

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
What I wanna know is why a creative writer is working as a journalist
Bingo. Much like a pack of cigarettes, every single time a "reporter" starts to inject editorialized content into a news story, it should BY LAW be known to the viewing public running under the reporter;

"This is not news it is speculation and conjecture".

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
A lot of them operate from a huge ego and power trip. They threaten the well-being of others with abuse of their platform when shit doesn’t go their way.

Then they cry foul when it comes back at them with zero self reflection or accountability.

Be better, journalists, and things will improve.
When an actual tyrant is in power, we need those types. Problem is when there’s no tyranny for them to report on, they have to invent it. I guess that’s where the creative writing skills come in.

Reactions: DeepEnigma
Oct 26, 2018
I have no problem with any journalist or company getting hammered for drumming up clicks for false stories, BS editorials, and cherry picking material to fit an agenda.

Report the news. Don't BS or mislead the news.

Reactions: matt404au

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
There are very dangerous places for journalists in the world. There are people unjustly imprisoned out there.

But the shameless media is trying to conflate that with accountability and repercussions for their terrible reporting. Reporting on an event and being put in prison for it is very bad. Lying about an event and having the public call you fake news is not bad.

wordslaughter

Apr 17, 2019
I wouldn't say I "hate" journalists. I have respect for many. But most mainstream journalists.... I find them impossible to trust at this point. Many of them aren't even news journalists so much as partisan propaganda pushers.

And it has nothing to do with Trump or any other "authoritarian leaders" but rather the simple fact that the mainstream media lie constantly. Forgive me for noticing but how could I not?

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I wouldn't say I "hate" journalists. I have respect for many. But most mainstream journalists.... I find them impossible to trust at this point. Many of them aren't even news journalists so much as partisan propaganda pushers.

And it has nothing to do with Trump or any other "authoritarian leaders" but rather the simple fact that the mainstream media lie constantly. Forgive me for noticing but how could I not?
I don't hate journalists as people, but I hate what they have done to public discourse during and after the Obama era, but especially after. They are supposed to be one of the protections against tyranny, not one of the driving forces of it.

Ixiah

Feb 16, 2018
Sure....hatred whiped up by authoritarian leaders and not Peoples unwillingness to put up with Liars and bad liars on top of that who think no one sees through their BS.

Texas Pride

Feb 27, 2018
Texas
Words have consequences. People are tired of those who peddle bullshit in an attempt to push agendas. The biggest threat to these people are those who think for themselves instead of being led along.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I find it very strange that when people are banned from YouTube, Facebook, or Twitter for breaking the Terms and Conditions this place rises up and champions their "Freedom of Speech". Same goes for the Second amendment. People go nuts on here if there is even a hint of something that could jeopardize it. And when asked why either should be defended it always comes back to the Constitution. "Its our right!"

But when "Freedom of the Press" seems to face any kind of criticism or attack there is none of that same gusto or stubborn belief. I mean its a right guaranteed by the constitution just like speech and "the right to bear arms" and yet nobody on here seems to care unless its a right wing news outlet that is the one under attack. Very strange indeed :unsure:

Last edited:

Burnttips

Mar 27, 2019
We live in an age where most of the media is propaganda. It’s pretty obvious you are going to have push back. We live in a society that tries to pull others to our will. Most of the media have been left wing hacks for decades now. The problem now is they can’t hide it anymore. As newer forms of media take over, the once cornered market will get more treacherous. Freedom isn’t Free.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I find it very strange that when people are banned from YouTube, Facebook, or Twitter for breaking the Terms and Conditions this place rises up and champions their "Freedom of Speech". Same goes for the Second amendment. People go nuts on here if there is even a hint of something that could jeopardize it. And when asked why either should be defended it always comes back to the Constitution. "Its our right!"

But when "Freedom of the Press" seems to face any kind of criticism or attack there is none of that same gusto or stubborn belief. I mean its a right guaranteed by the constitution just like speech and "the right to bear arms" and yet nobody on here seems to care unless its a right wing news outlet that is the one under attack. Very strange indeed:unsure:
Banning and criticism are two different things. I'm sorry I had to be the one to point this grade-school observation out to you.

Your observations are incorrect unless you have a link to threads where "a right wing news outlet was under attack" and everyone rushed to their defense.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Within a generation, Journalists went from an ideal of impartial reportage to one of social activism. The major journalism schools all reflect this, and it mirrors the general ideological swing of all the elites of western society. If they were really even trying to be somewhat close to neutral on policy and social issues, why would anybody waste effort hating them?
It's a mix of lots of things. SJWs aren't the ones on the ground in dangerous places in the world, trying to actually report things. There are still real reporters left, and you probably never hear about them.

Bloggers in NY and California do not reflect the entirety of journalism. CNN barely even has reporters on the ground outside the US.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
It's a mix of lots of things. SJWs aren't the ones on the ground in dangerous places in the world, trying to actually report things. There are still real reporters left, and you probably never hear about them.

Bloggers in NY and California do not reflect the entirety of journalism. CNN barely even has reporters on the ground outside the US.
That isn't true actually. If you look at their personnel they have a large number of international personnel and foreign correspondents. We just don;t see them as much as we see the stateside ones these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CNN_personnel

Last edited:
Reactions: Miku Miku

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
That isn't true actually. If you look at their personnel they have a large number of international personnel and foreign correspondents. We just don;t see them as much as we see the stateside ones these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CNN_personnel
They have entire international stations, so they of course have international personnel. But I don't think they do a whole lot of the actual investigative journalism on the ground in dangerous places anymore. Maybe I'm wrong about that too? I don't have any numbers.

https://reason.com/2017/02/22/where-did-all-the-investigativ

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
They have entire international stations, so they of course have international personnel. But I don't think they do a whole lot of the actual investigative journalism on the ground in dangerous places anymore. Maybe I'm wrong about that too? I don't have any numbers.

https://reason.com/2017/02/22/where-did-all-the-investigativ
When something major happens I see them all the time. The problem is that stateside problems are pushing foreign issues to the fringe.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

But when "Freedom of the Press" seems to face any kind of criticism or attack there is none of that same gusto or stubborn belief. I mean its a right guaranteed by the constitution just like speech and "the right to bear arms" and yet nobody on here seems to care unless its a right wing news outlet that is the one under attack. Very strange indeed :unsure:
Because you don't understand freedom of the press. Don't talk about things you don't understand

Last edited:

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Fox News pushed the "Uranium One" scandal and the Seth Rich story for months as well.

Where is the demand for their apology? Why aren't people demanding they pay the price? :unsure:
Ah, glad you're active. Would you care to answer my questions rather than continually avoid them and strut around like you're a credible human being?
I've already asked you to do this before but you simply chose to ignore it. Curious.

Also, I provided example, evidence, context and commentary. You provided whataboutism and deflection but did not address the issue or provide a counter that had the same degree of substance.
Even after the fact, your knee-jerk response shows just how little integrity you have.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Ah, glad you're active. Would you care to answer my questions rather than continually avoid them and strut around like you're a credible human being?
I've already asked you to do this before but you simply chose to ignore it. Curious.

Also, I provided example and evidence. You provided whataboutism and deflection but no evidence.
Even after the fact, your knee-jerk response shows just how little integrity you have.
Nope sorry I am not going to derail this thread with drama from other threads just because you can't seem to help yourself.

So staying on the topic at hand would you care to comment on why its okay to demand consequences from Buzzfeed, but not Fox News? Please don't try to deflect anymore. I countered your tweet with a simple counterpoint. I would just like an answer. You consistently claim to be above me and everyone else and claim to take the high ground. Prove it by simply answering the question.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah I didn't think so. I just wanted to give you the chance to back up your crap lol
Okay I tried to be diplomatic.

Nobody Important, you're a fucking idiot. What media source in America has been censored or curtailed? What reporter has been restricted or been prevented from reporting a story? The most you can claim is what, criticism from the public....mean tweets from the president... From the citizens you claim to cover. Unlike say, the 2nd amendment their aren't bills in Congress trying to amend the Constitution to remove rights or add new regulations on to what one can or can't say. You're first amendment right to report on whatever has not been besmirched, and likewise other people's first amendment to call you out on your shit is not a problem.

You have no leg to stand on. So kindly fuck off with your "freedom of the press" crap.
You don't understand it. All you understand is "Trump = bad". Makes talking to you a waste of time

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Nope sorry I am not going to derail this thread with drama from other threads just because you can;t seem to help yourself.
So painting cowardice and lying about people as virtue.

As usual, your squirming refusal to own up to your unethical and factually deficient rhetoric is something you wear as a badge of honour.
You can return to the thread I linked to and provide answers there.

Here's the link again, just so your blinkered vision doesn't lie about not seeing it in the first place:
Note that your unsolicited attack was a derail in that thread.
So you are both a liar and a hypocrite when you try to disguise your cowardice as 'not wanting to derail'.
Not to mention that your unsolicited attack involved 'drama from other threads'.
So your mountain of lies and hypocrisy appears to be getting larger with every squirming excuse you make.

So staying on the topic at hand would you care to comment on why its okay to demand consequences from Buzzfeed, but not Fox News? Please don't try to deflect anymore. I countered your tweet with a simple counterpoint. I would just like an answer.
Doubling down on your substance-free whataboutism and deflection but still unprepared to provide substance.
No.

Your reputation as a liar and a coward are now sealed. You have no credibility.
By default, due to your legacy of dishonesty and hypocrisy it would be folly for me - or others - to take anything you say as credible.
Before you can expect to be taken seriously you must first provide substance.

Doubling down on vacuuous rhetoric demonstrates a wilful refusal to demonstrate credibility and a desire to simply divert and control conversation based on things other than substance.

Do better.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: AfricanKing

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
So painting cowardice and lying about people as virtue.

As usual, your squirming refusal to own up to your unethical and factually deficient rhetoric is something you wear as a badge of honour.
You can return to the thread I linked to and provide answers there.
Assuming you're not a dishonest cretin that attacks people with lies and then proves to be a coward when called out on it.

Here's the link again, just so your blinkered vision doesn't lie about not seeing it in the first place:

Doubling down on your substance-free whataboutism and deflection but still unprepared to provide substance.
No.

Your reputation as a liar and a coward are now sealed. You have no credibility.
By default, due to your legacy of dishonesty and hypocrisy it would be folly for me - or others - to take anything you say as credible.
Before you can expect to be taken seriously you must first provide substance.

Doubling down on vacuuous rhetoric demonstrates a wilful refusal to demonstrate credibility and a desire to simply divert and control conversation based on things other than substance.

Do better.
Yeah I didn't think so and this is how I know you're full of shit SC.

You do this everytime. You come in into thread showing other people their old posts from unrelated threads and hold them up like some kind of holy grail and yet you cannot even bring yourself to back up your own posts in the same threads that you do this in. You claim to be better and tell me to "do better" but it seems to me like you need to take your own advice at this point. You won't even defend your own post while whining at others and claiming they won't do the same.

You are a hypocrite. Say what you want about me I don't care, but time and time again you have refused to back up your own posts while criticizing others. My own actions do not excuse your own no matter how hard you try. You tell me to "do better"? Set the example and answer my question then. Otherwise you are no better than me by your own words.

Now will you tell me why Buzzfeed needs to answer for its stories and why Fox News doesn't or will you continue to deflect with your attempts at petty drama?

Last edited:
Reactions: AfricanKing

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Yeah I didn't think so and this is how I know you're full of shit SC.
Substance free rhetoric.
You've cornered yourself because your cowardice and lies haven't quite worked for you.
Because the person you're lying about and are too cowardly to confront has provided substance for their claims.

You don't have substance, so you just attack with your usual nothingness.

Zero credibility.
Zero integrity.
Every reply you give is digging your hole deeper.

More lies.
Zero substance.

Provide proof of your claims. Specifically the "everytime" part.
Take note of my comment #78 on this very page and how it is entirely at odds with the narrative you're fabricating.

You come in into thread showing other people their old posts from unrelated threads and hold them up like some kind of holy grail and yet you cannot even bring yourself to back up your own posts in the same threads that you do this in.
This is exactly what you've done in the items I linked to (note: I provided substance for my claim, you have not).
You are only pointing the finger at yourself.

Provide evidence of this claim.
I'm bored of your relentlessly hollow and dishonest accusations and your cowardly running away, victim-play and hypocrisy every time your bullshit is exposed.

and tell me to "do better" but it seems to me like you need to take your own advice at this point.
I don't lie. I provide substance for my claims.
I don't allow liars to with no substance to their claims try to flip the conversation around.
They want to have their points accepted but never examined. Which is why it's always so easy to expose them, because all you have to do is examine their points and watch them squirm and try to deflect. As you are doing here.

You have provided exactly zero substance for anything you've said.
Whereas everything I've said has been substantiated by me at the time I said it.

You have no credibility or integrity. You've just demonstrated yourself to be a hypocrite, liar and coward.

Do better.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It's amusing to watch @Nobody_Important accuse others of deflecting and derailing and hypocrisy when they still haven't answered my question above:

Banning and criticism are two different things. I'm sorry I had to be the one to point this grade-school observation out to you.

Your observations are incorrect unless you have a link to threads where "a right wing news outlet was under attack" and everyone rushed to their defense.
In fact, instead of answering it, you took my question and tried to turn it around on Schrodinger's Cat:

So staying on the topic at hand would you care to comment on why its okay to demand consequences from Buzzfeed, but not Fox News?
As usual, completely incapable of defending your own standpoints, Instead, you have to feign victim and derail even more.

Whataboutism and "Both Sides" has become your default mode.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I wish I could say I was surprised. I can tell you are smart enough to do better than this SC. There is no reason for you to stoop to petty drama in order to try and make a point. If I was wrong in what I said then you would have simply said so, but the fact you refuse to respond when given multiple chances to do so tells me that I struck a nerve or I brought up something that you know you can't explain away. But instead of just admitting you are wrong or overlooked something you need to double down on the drama in other threads order to try and avoid it. You are not fooling me man. You are the one that needs to do better. Not me.

If you change your mind and decide to discuss what I said like an adult feel free to @ me.

EDIT: Actually if anyone can explain to me why its okay to demand consequences for Buzzfeed and not Fox News then I am all ears no matter who it comes from. I will even respond to those who I have blocked if I need to. I would just like to see some kind of reasoning for what I see as hypocrisy and bias. because I see no reason why one outlet should be vilified and the other should get off without comment.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Discard phase:

I wish I could say I was surprised. I can tell you are smart enough to do better than this SC.
You are trying way too hard. Its embarrassing. I expect better from you SC at this point. Come on now.
Then again at this point I have learned to not expect much from you.
But go ahead and keep lobbing childish insults at me. I am sure that will help me take you seriously and want to engage you in a discussion.
Its not rocket science. But you knew that already when you posted the thread.
Its not rocket science. But you knew that already when you posted the thread.
And on that incredibly tone deaf and hypocritical note I think I am done here lol
You claim its ME that is the troll. You are a hypocritical joke at this point doing literally everything that you try and accuse me of.

You are a child throwing a tantrum. You don't care what anyone has to say and you don't care about trying to be reasoned with. You just wanna stamp your feet and make a scene for the hell of it so you can get attention. Forums rules and reason be damned.

Bonus on-topic laughs about propaganda, mockery, and criticism, though above you couldn't seem to tell the difference between criticism and censorship. :pie_thinking:

There is a difference between criticism and propaganda. This is propaganda. Dangerous propaganda at that. If you still disagree after everything I have already said and still don't see where I am coming from and don't see why putting a Muslim woman alongside footage of 9/11 is offensive then I don't think there is much point in discussing it further.
There is a difference between criticism and mockery. And there is a place for both. But don't try and pass off mockery as simple criticism. Because they are not the same thing and they come from very different states of mind and points of view.

Thats all I was trying to say and to be honest I regret saying anything at all. I should know better by now. It gets me nowhere.
Our resident mind-reader and derailer on display. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sorry that you don't like your past behavior used against you. I know it makes your trolling significantly more difficult.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
The media: A nest of neon green jungle native pit vipers that sit in trees all day long and feed on the smaller animals-like frogs-that make their homes in them.

The journalist: The wiggling tail of the neon green aforementioned vipers.

To rid the jungle of the slithering neon green menace does one merely track down each said creature and cut their tails off? No, that would be almost impossible due to their natural camouflage and propensity of their population.

The answer is so simple a child could answer it with ease: You go after the trees. You see, said vipers only reside in certain types of trees. So, one just chop these down, burn them with fire, or chemically spray them so they can no longer base said neon green menace.

This has already begun in a few ways. Kill the specific trees and the vipers cannot survive.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
EDIT: Actually if anyone can explain to me why its okay to demand consequences for Buzzfeed and not Fox News then I am all ears no matter who it comes from. I will even respond to those who I have blocked if I need to. I would just like to see some kind of reasoning for what I see as hypocrisy and bias. because I see no reason why one outlet should be vilified and the other should get off without comment.
Fox News has not gotten off without comment. Tons of people have criticized them as little more than a propaganda arm of the republican party. What's actually more shocking is that sometimes they actually get a story right sometimes, as that's the unusual thing. Buzzfeed also deserves criticism for the same kinds of mistakes. The New York Times also for Iraq War reporting and whatever else they do that's wrong.

This conversation is going nowhere. It kind of is "whataboutism," and I hate that stupid word. It's fine to bring up other examples and make the point that media across the board have failed in many situations, and that they all could do better. But then after that obvious point is made, you have to usually pick one example at a time to discuss if you want to get in more detail.

Lots of media sucks and makes mistakes, and they're stubborn and shitty about correcting it. Point made. Please move on everyone.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Fox News pushed the "Uranium One" scandal and the Seth Rich story for months as well.

Where is the demand for their apology? Why aren't people demanding they pay the price? :unsure:
“bUt WhAt AbOuT fOx NeWs?!?!”

No one is stopping you from criticizing fox news, mate. Just because other people are focusing on other stations doesn’t they automatically endorse everything said by every news station they didn’t mention.

That’s retarded.

• Fire
Reactions: DeepEnigma

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
The media: A nest of neon green jungle native pit vipers that sit in trees all day long and feed on the smaller animals-like frogs-that make their homes in them.

The journalist: The wiggling tail of the neon green aforementioned vipers.

To rid the jungle of the slithering neon green menace does one merely track down each said creature and cut their tails off? No, that would be almost impossible due to their natural camouflage and propensity of their population.

The answer is so simple a child could answer it with ease: You go after the trees. You see, said vipers only reside in certain types of trees. So, one just chop these down, burn them with fire, or chemically spray them so they can no longer base said neon green menace.

This has already begun in a few ways. Kill the specific trees and the vipers cannot survive.
What are "the trees" in this metaphor?

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018

Who is trying to take their rights away?

Really, who?

People are saying the industry of mainstream journalism is coverd in shit right now, and they should clean themselves up. What rights are being infringed?

You’re arguing against statements no one made. Get a grip on reality.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Fox News has not gotten off without comment. Tons of people have criticized them as little more than a propaganda arm of the republican party. What's actually more shocking is that sometimes they actually get a story right sometimes, as that's the unusual thing. Buzzfeed also deserves criticism for the same kinds of mistakes. The New York Times also for Iraq War reporting and whatever else they do that's wrong.

This conversation is going nowhere. It kind of is "whataboutism," and I hate that stupid word. It's fine to bring up other examples and make the point that media across the board have failed in many situations, and that they all could do better. But then after that obvious point is made, you have to usually pick one example at a time to discuss if you want to get in more detail.

Lots of media sucks and makes mistakes, and they're stubborn and shitty about correcting it. Point made. Please move on everyone.
You are right. That's something I should have considered.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
No one said you can’t criticize Fox News or demand consequences from them.

Did you forget to take your meds this morning?

• LOL