• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

Didn't find a thread about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrX7G-1xPLs

Seems to be an isometric shooter in the vein of Postal built with UE4.
No idea how to feel about this much violence. When is violence in videogames too much for you ?

Info from their site:
Hatred is an isometric shooter with disturbing atmosphere of mass killing, where player takes the role of a cold blood antagonist, who is full of hatred for humanity. It's a horror, but here YOU are the villain. Wander the outskirts of New York State, seek for victims on seven free-roam levels. Fight against law enforcement and take a journey into the antagonist's hateful mind. Gather equipment of the dead ‘human shields’ to spread Armageddon upon society. Destroy everything on your way of hunt and fight back when it's disturbed...

...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure. Herecomes our game, which takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people’ and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred. Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder. We provoke this question using new Unreal Engine 4, pushing its physics (or rather PhysX) systems to the limits and trying to make the visuals as good as possible. It's not a simple task, because of the game's non-linear structure and a lot of characters on the screen. But here at Destructive Creations, we are an experienced team and we know how to handle the challenge!
More info, thank you nero2082 for the translation:
Hatred consists of 7 free-roam levels connected with cohesive story in background. Let's not kid ourselves - story won't be the most important part, I think that tons of cutscenes or dialogues would disrupt the flow of the game and that 'lone psycho' feel.
We're small, independent studio from Gliwice. It's 10 people and we're all paratroopers from a bigger company (The Farm 51) We got some experience, we've been working together for quite some time, we're all good pals and we're working on a game. We got a budget, skills and goodwill. And crazy idea too, so we're going for it.
We're not afraid of controversy. We know there will be one, but they're part of video game history and one game won't change anything. You have the same thing in lots, lots of games, the difference is we're not justifying anything - we want the player to think about the story behind it and to let him figure out himself what drives this fucked up dude who panned out idea in his head that he wants to shoot people.

People will split into two groups - we can already see that - those who 'dig' it and those who think it crossed the line. And that's good, some things should be black or white. We're not going to force anyone to play it, we won't feed you with bullshit talk, that it's something revolutionary.

We're pointing out that Hatred is a game for mature audience and not for the faint-hearted. A guy coming from stressful day at work, looking for some kind of relief, or a type that just likes that genre and mayhem style action - he is our target. Rest will be appalled by it, whatever. Till noone comes to our offices guns blazing rampaging in the name of 'saving the world from violent games influence' , we're cool.
Screens:
s1h6dan.jpg

s2e8exf.jpg

s3a7cp5.jpg

s4k3cqf.jpg

s5xkckd.jpg

s6hlu3x.jpg

This is like No Russian on steroids.

I don't think it will make much noise, since is a small profile game, but yeah, maybe is pushing the line too much.

Frologic

Holy shit that was dark. Respect the developer for stating what they want to accomplish but this is definitely going to catch some flak

I think this may be a secret FBI game to catch serial killers before they act (or to keep them off the streets).

Seriously though, it is kind of too much, no?

A little too brutal for my liking, i seriously doubt they will delve into the mind of a mass killer, other then heres a gun, go and shoot people.

I suppose its no different from shooting cops e.t.c in GTA, just a little bit more obvious and brutal about it.

I am sure it will make waves for all the wrong reasons and put games into a bad light again.

I... wow.
I want to know more.

Like, I support this type of original concepts and what not, but...
Shit, that was rough. I want to see where it goes.

Will there be an actual story/narrative as to why you do what you do?
It doesn't seem "important", but it could work well with the game's overall concept.
Maybe give us a look into the character's life as we progress? Some reasons as to why shit happens?
Hmm...

RowdyReverb

I usually can stomach this sort of stuff, but I couldn't finish that trailer. What's fun about a civilian killing simulator? Maybe it's a fed trap for the next shooting spree perpetrator

You know I hate the term "edgy" but I feel that applies to this. When he first opened the door of what I assumed to be his house, I thought it was a zombie game. Then I saw the people begging for their lives and well yeah :/

Entry cutscene has some pretty shoddy animations.
Yeah, I thought it was the frame rate at first but, nope just the animation.

Alrus

Entry cutscene has some pretty shoddy animations.

Also this seems really gratuitous in its violence, some media outlets are going to have a field day with it.

TheTurboFD

I really don't see the fun in a game where you just kill innocent people. Postal had humor going for it but this is just killing with the only enemies being the police. I see no real reason to even touch this.

Nives

Neo Member
Maybe there's some kind of twist by the time it's released? Like all of these people are aliens/zombie/maniacs themselves? Protagonist's family was murdered by some fanatic citizens of this town? "I will kill the innocent" premise just seems viral for the sake of it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a question: If you have a problem with this game do you have a problem GTA V too? How about Hotline miami? In GTA V you straight up torture a dude and in Hotline miami you kill a bunch of cops in the most brutal manner.

dieter

Neo Member
And the countdown begins until Fox news airs this trailer as proof that video games cause real world violence.

UrbanRats

Lol, seems like the parody of a death metal album in videogame form, so dumb, ahahah.

I really don't mind tougher subjects even tackled with a provocative approach (Man bites Dog and the like) this though looks so dumb, like it was made from a 13 years old kid listening to metal, rebelling to his parents with satanic posters in his room.

I don't think they're playing this straight, i think it has to be some sort of meta parody of gritty controversial, but ultimately laughable titles, or something like that.
There has to be a twist in there somewhere, basically.

Raide

Here's a question: If you have a problem with this game do you have a problem GTA V too? How about Hotline miami? In GTA V you straight up torture a dude and in Hotline miami you kill a bunch of cops in the most brutal manner.

I dislike the pointless killing in GTA but driving around and messing up the world is still fun. This game seems like pointless killing for the sake of killing.

Let's not act like those games are anywhere near the level of this. GTA is too goofy to be taken that seriously and Hotline Miami's story justifies everything that happens in the game.

This is just straight up mass murder of civilians, no strings attached.

Experien

Maybe there's some kind of twist by the time it's released? Like all of these people are aliens/zombie/maniacs themselves? Protagonist's family was murdered by some fanatic citizens of this town? "I will kill the innocent" premise just seems viral for the sake of it.

I want to say the same but everything the developer says says it is you just playing a crazy guy who wants to kill everyone.

Loving the art style, personally I don't mind the setting at all.

Having my doubts whether this won't get repetitive very quickly though. Sounds like seven levels where you just have to survive as long as you can or something? Bit boring.

popyea

Seems really interesting. I mean it freaked me the fuck out, which I haven't felt about a game for a long time. The announcement's suggestion of political-incorrectness makes me think it won't have much commentary on the subject though.

JimPanzer

ye, let's put every serial killer / school massacre stereotype in our game. ugh.

also, did they completely rip off the Doom logo?

I dislike the pointless killing in GTA but driving around and messing up the world is still fun. This game seems like pointless killing for the sake of killing.

I think its more the type of killing , that is the difference. Hotline miami is essentially 80s pixel art , and gta, whilst realistic is still not that gory e.t.c

Here you are slowly blowing heads off, putting guns in their mouths e.t.c

Its way too over the top and its obvious they are doing it purely for shock value and publicity. In the end all its going to do is feed the media about how bad games are , definetely not something the game industry needs.

I do, actually. I haven't played through a GTA game since Vice City. I tried GTAIV but since it stopped being cartoonish and became too violent for my taste I just couldn't keep playing. I haven't even played Hotline miami since the whole idea of the game puts me off (and I got it for free on PS+). It just doesn't appeal to me.

KKRT00

Definitely brutal, especially in cutscenes.
Gameplay looked quite fun though, i liked especially destruction.
The isometric view gave me some vibes of Crusader No Remorse.

TheTurboFD

Yea but that's nothing that we haven't seen in movies. Also in GTA V you have the option of killing people but that's not the main focus of the game. It actually has a story unlike this game where your only objective I can see in the trailer is just killing innocent people.

UrbanRats

This is just straight up mass murder of civilians, no strings attached.
Well we don't know that yet, again, maybe there's a parodistic twist.
The VA in the trailer seems to be hamming it up pretty badly after all.

To be honest given the title i was expecting something a little more sophisticated (because i was thinking about La Haine, as a comparison).
Even as a parody this doesn't look particularly clever though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom