• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (200+ songs) coming west on January 10

Mandelbo

Oh my god

Please, *please* buy this if you like the Diva series or rhythm games in general - it's genuinely the best thing I've played all year and it's an absolute steal for all the content you get. I really hope you can transfer your save data across from the japanese version, since I'll totally double dip if you can.

If Project Diva X left a bad taste in your mouth, this'll put it right!

Kuusoge

That's great that it's actually getting an NA/EU release. I know a lot of people were concerned it wouldn't because of licensing.

I've been playing the JP release and it's great. I'm almost through all the songs. It's definitely a bargain given the amount of content

SHarris78

If Project Diva X left a bad taste in your mouth, this'll put it right!

This X1,000,000. Personally I loved X simply because I love nearly all the music in these games and was happy hearing some new tunes, but if you did feel burnt with X this'll put you right and then some.

Bargain of the year (or next year).

emiliano

YES (Heart skips a bit). This is too good of a news.
The wait is hard but I hope that all the songs will make the cut, for this reason alone I'm still undecided if I will pick this one or the jap version.
Thanks Sega, much obliged.

Oceanwind

Neo Member
Wow, great news! Glad I waited, I was thinking about buying the Japanese version, but I would definitely prefer a localization.

antibolo

Banned
Per Sam, there is no save importing from the import version this time. This also means a separate set of trophies and leaderboards.

Well that's too bad. I won't double-dip then. I want to give them money for this but having to start over from the beginning is just not acceptable, sorry.

Kumubou

Hey guys is Future Tone being loc---oh.

For anyone who has played any of the previous games in the series, this is by far the best one Sega's made, and the amount of content available is bonkers (the bundle has about just under eight times the songs F/F2/X (and actually includes most of the songs from F and F2) while only being a few dollars more than each of those games were at launch. They even bothered to add such niceties such as leaderboards and training mode. :x It also, for whatever reason, loads and restarts a hell of a lot faster than the PS3 games (unless you're playing a song where all the characters show up, like Senbonzakura).

For people who aren't aware, this is based off the arcade release, which is basically a remake/remaster of Project Diva 1st through F2/Mirai 2 with completely different charts for every song (which tend to be harder than the console games, it being an arcade game and all -- there's still a lot of very easy charts on Easy/Normal) and the PSP/3DS graphics being completely reworked (the songs from the PS3 games use the same assets, but it looks a hell of a lot cleaner at 1080p 60fps).

Per Sam, there is no save importing from the import version this time. This also means a separate set of trophies and leaderboards.
Not really surprising, since there's no cross-play save to derive the save import from (which was always a neat end-around some rather particular requirements regarding how save data is managed). The leaderboards being split like they are annoys me far more than it should though, as the Japanese, Asian and (now presumably) American releases all have separate scores. Who still does this???

I am not looking forward to unlocking all of the Extreme/Extra Extreme charts again, though. D:

Luigi87

Fantastic price!

I never bought Colorful Tone yet, so I'll definitely pick it up when it this comes out (and I'll probably double dip on Future Sound).

TP

Not concerned about it this time. There was no way the Japanese DLC was going to carry over so a double dip isn't an option for me

mrmickfran

Atlus US is getting worked

Persona 5
Future Tone
Yakuza 0
Etrian Odyssey V
13 Sentinels (Whenever the hell that comes out)

Right after finishing up TMS and SMTIV: A

No wonder P5 is taking so long.

StereoVsn

Hey guys is Future Tone being loc---oh.

For anyone who has played any of the previous games in the series, this is by far the best one Sega's made, and the amount of content available is bonkers (the bundle has about just under eight times the songs F/F2/X (and actually includes most of the songs from F and F2) while only being a few dollars more than each of those games were at launch. They even bothered to add such niceties such as leaderboards and training mode. :x It also, for whatever reason, loads and restarts a hell of a lot faster than the PS3 games (unless you're playing a song where all the characters show up, like Senbonzakura).

For people who aren't aware, this is based off the arcade release, which is basically a remake/remaster of Project Diva 1st through F2/Mirai 2 with completely different charts for every song (which tend to be harder than the console games, it being an arcade game and all -- there's still a lot of very easy charts on Easy/Normal) and the PSP/3DS graphics being completely reworked (the songs from the PS3 games use the same assets, but it looks a hell of a lot cleaner at 1080p 60fps).

I am not looking forward to unlocking all of the Extreme/Extra Extreme charts again, though. D:

Huh, so much better buy then Diva X from the sounds of it? I enjoyed Diva F 1 quite a bit but 2 didn't quite click and didn't bother getting X due to song counts.

No English subtitles, no buy.

I'll probably buy it anyway, but the lack of subtitles does genuinely annoy me.

Are there at least Japanese subtitles?

I'm fine with it since I never finished unlocking them in the first place :D

Not really surprising, since there's no cross-play save to derive the save import from (which was always a neat end-around some rather particular requirements regarding how save data is managed). The leaderboards being split like they are annoys me far more than it should though, as the Japanese, Asian and (now presumably) American releases all have separate scores. Who still does this???

As a side effect to that, I wonder if they can restore the normal hold bonuses? On the JP end everything got buffed retroactively because of the pause bug...

Orcastar

Huh, so much better buy then Diva X from the sounds of it? I enjoyed Diva F 1 quite a bit but 2 didn't quite click and didn't bother getting X due to song counts.

Yeah it's better than X. Pretty much the opposite. Where X has low song count and a ton of bullshit, Future Tone has a HIGH song count and zero bullshit.

Tailer

Really hope they will put this out on switch, don't really dig playing on the PS4 too much, I always use the remote play. But since this is one of the games that will likely affect it quite a bit with its delay I most likely won't be enjoying it as such I will hope it comes out for switch or vita, doubt it's coming to vita tho.

StereoVsn

Yeah it's better than X. Pretty much the opposite. Where X has low song count and a ton of bullshit, Future Tone has a HIGH song count and zero bullshit.

Well, damn, sign me up then. Of course it's in damn January and Jan/Feb is just insane packed with Japanese games.

muteki

I just realized reading the article that the game has a survival mode and after playing the import for months I forgot it was even there.

Looks like a fine deal to me. But no news on the upcoming content?
I imagine the west will get the additional DLC (12 songs + modules) eventually.

Really hope they will put this out on switch, don't really dig playing on the PS4 too much, I always use the remote play. But since this is one of the games that will likely affect it quite a bit with its delay I most likely won't be enjoying it as such I will hope it comes out for switch or vita, doubt it's coming to vita tho.

PS4 only. A mainline Project DIVA has never been released on a non-Sony platform.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god yes. X has a very low song count & changes things up by instead of earning points to buy stuff like accessories, costumes, gifts for the characters, etc., you get them RANDOMLY after beating songs & will be constantly replaying the same songs over & over to hopefully get everything you need.

Here, it's pretty just "here's the songs, here's some points to get more costumes & accessories", more among the lines of an arcade port.

At least this time around, it makes sense considering there's over 220 damn songs. That's a LOT of time & money for a game like this in comparison to the F games.

Tailer

PS4 only. A mainline Project DIVA has never been released on a non-Sony platform.
Well hope they reconsider considering the screen is big and it's powerful enough for this kind of game. Otherwise will see if there is a demo and try to see whether it's playable for me or not, too lazy to care atm.

Well hope they reconsider considering the screen is big and it's powerful enough for this kind of game. Otherwise will see if there is a demo and try to see whether it's playable for me or not, too lazy to care atm.

The game literally uses PlayStation button symbols, so I'm not sure what you're expecting.

$54? I payed over 100 for the Japanese version + DLC, this is an absolute steal.

Wondering if we are going to get DLC included on ours. Probably not.

EDIT: Also, what is the official twitter for these folks? We should be showering them with praise

Mandelbo

^

In Future Tone, you have a button press between you and the song list - you can be playing a song within about 20 seconds loading your save essentially. All songs are unlocked from the get go, and the only difficulty not available from the start is extreme. Compare that to X where you have loads of menus and fluff inbetween you and the music, and it's really such a breath of fresh air.

It really is worth emphasising that Future Tone is JUST the rhythm game. There's no diva room or edit mode like in the Diva F games - it's a very streamlined, pure experience. Basically the opposite of X.

Also if the release structure is the same as it is in Japan there'll be a demo which comes with two songs. In what respect are you concerned whether it will be playable or not?

Kumubou

Are there at least Japanese subtitles?
Yes, this game is far better than X. All of the random unlocks are gone (you can unlock whatever modules you want whenever you want, and the pacing is very fast -- you're never more than 1-2 songs away from earning another one), all of the Diva Room crap is gone, it's just you and Miku and friends pushing some goddamn buttons. You can seriously get from a cold boot to playing in about 20 seconds -- it's a very streamlined experience.

As for subtitles, it's romanji only in the songs -- probably due to the fact that they only already have ~40 songs in the game translated (the songs from F2 and its DLC) and translating songs is generally a giant pain in the ass (I remember the Blu-ray/DVD release of the AX 2012 Miku concert being delayed by nearly two years due to delays in the subtitles). Maybe if they released and translated the PSP games way back when. :x

As a side effect to that, I wonder if they can restore the normal hold bonuses? On the JP end everything got buffed retroactively because of the pause bug...
I'm not really sure how they would fix it? It seems like a design flaw that came up due to the game originally being designed with no pausing in mind. Unless they were going out of their way to not invalidate old scores (which was then mooted when they increased scoring the way they did), so who knows.

Honestly, it doesn't matter much. It would be nice to have the scores line up 1:1 with the arcade version, but records on the console and arcade version would be held separately anyway due to other differences (mainly being able to hold all four inputs with one button in the PS4 version).

I also kind of wish some of the other arcade features (such as skins, player titles and ghost scores) made it, but that's picking nits (well, maybe not the ghost scores part -- that would be really nice to have).

controller options other than DS4?
Hori has made a couple of arcade style controllers for this game, although you will need to rebind buttons in order to get the right layout. (The arcade cabinet is just four buttons in a row, going Triangle, Square, X, and Circle). Thankfully, Sega put in full button remapping in the game so you can use whatever gonzo configuration you want.

This game actually plays well on an arcade stick too -- that's actually how I play it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All I know is, I can FINALLY have the Sega songs like After Burner, Magical Sound Shower, Power Drift, etc.

.........also Po Pi Po, how is it that appeared first on an US version of a game on Just Dance compared to a Miku game.

Tenshi

Neo Member
It remains to be seen if every song makes the cut, but I sure hope so. There don't seem to be any details on the post-release DLC the Japanese release now has, either.

The trailer video also shows romanized (not transated) song subtitles, so there's that. Probably way too costly to translate lyrics this time considering the price point.

No matter if all the songs from the Japanese release don't make it into the domestic version, for those who have been wishing for this, buy it. Buy it and tell your friends about it. It would really be great to see any and all future vocaloid rhythm games make it to the west.

Although I already own this on my Japanese accounts, I will be picking this up as well as a thank you to Sega for bringing it over here so that more people can enjoy it, too.

Time to double dip!

In my case, triple dipping. Own it on two PS4s.

Top Bottom