• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why are the Meiko tracks all garbage, Afterburner aside.

Should've just swapped them all for Gumi stuff.

Just saw this came to the west and immediately bought it. I feel perpetually late to the party with these games since I never buy the jp versions. :(

Anyway seems like this game is somewhat more difficult than the Diva games? I haven't played it yet since it's downloading but considering this game can require pressing arrows and face buttons in different directions (and several at once) at the same time I would guess so.

Big Brett

Just saw this came to the west and immediately bought it. I feel perpetually late to the party with these games since I never buy the jp versions. :(

Anyway seems like this game is somewhat more difficult than the Diva games? I haven't played it yet since it's downloading but considering this game can require pressing arrows and face buttons in different directions (and several at once) at the same time I would guess so.

Check out this comment

From what I understand, the arrows are just visual, not like the old games. I could be off the mark on that but since I've changed the option, I haven't seen any arrows. The new "challenge" note is multiple notes at once, i.e. all four face buttons.

And also, don't worry, I'm also late to the party!

Check out this comment

From what I understand, the arrows are just visual, not like the old games. I could be off the mark on that but since I've changed the option, I haven't seen any arrows. The new "challenge" note is multiple notes at once, i.e. all four face buttons.

And also, don't worry, I'm also late to the party!

Haha thanks! So I guess the arrows in this game are essentially the same as the face buttons, like I can hit a down arrow with the x button? Seems not too bad. Kinda pointless to display the arrows then. I'll definitely switch that.

kagamin

Haha thanks! So I guess the arrows in this game are essentially the same as the face buttons, like I can hit a down arrow with the x button? Seems not too bad. Kinda pointless to display the arrows then. I'll definitely switch that.

I have difficulty parsing all the notes at once so I just switched them all to arrows to help me know what directions to press for multi-chords lol

macklelol

Rosary Pale is my favorite Kaito song.

I play with the face buttons cause I'm just too used to playing with it.

I played like 12 songs so far and I'm already tired of playing on Hard. Why can't I just buy an unlock key thing for this.

Pachimari

I heard this game is way better than Project Diva X, so I assume it's a good starting point to jump in? I tried out the free version but sucked really bad, that I would fail at 9% into a song. It didn't feel like I got any feedback on my button presses.

Big Brett

I heard this game is way better than Project Diva X, so I assume it's a good starting point to jump in? I tried out the free version but sucked really bad, that I would fail at 9% into a song. It didn't feel like I got any feedback on my button presses.

You might need to calibrate. It seems like a great point to start, gigantic library and the gameplay is A+.

There's a learning curve, but I would definitely recommend starting with this and working your way up from a difficulty you feel comfortable with. This one blows the others out of the water in terms of content so I say just start here.

You do have the ability to change the Button sound effects and stuff too if you don't care for the default noises for feedback. Maybe try playing around with that? Press triangle on the song select screen.

edit: and yes, calibrate like stated above!

emiliano

I'm trying to put together a solution to improve the playability with the controller.

This is what I will try:

Triangle on Left Direction
Square on Down Direction
X on X Button
O on O Button

To continue to be able alternate left and right presses, I will map the remaining buttons as follows

O un Up Direction
X on Right Direction
Square on Square Button
Triangle on Triangle Button

This way the buttons on the right will continue to work as usual, while the overall layout will reflect also the Arcade configuration.

For the chords I will use, keeping in mind the Arcade layout:

Triangle on L2 Button
Square on L1 Button
X on R1 Button
O on R2 Button

Probably it will require a lot of practice, but I'm already finding a bit too much difficult on Hard being able to keep up on the chords. This hopefully will also help me to visualize better the chords on the screen.
I hope this will not be just a waste of time, at this point I have a really strong habit to use alternate inputs in miku games, like a second nature. It will require a really big effort to change that, even marginally.

Chorazin

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I don't know if this is better for new players. It has an incredible amount of songs, yes, but the difficulty is going to be offputting.

EDIT: This is the Dark Souls of DIVA games.

muteki

I think a good chunk of the initial difficulty comes from being used to the way the other games work and having to re-write existing muscle memory. If you are coming in fresh, IMO, it is as best place as any to start.

SimonM7

I heard this game is way better than Project Diva X

I think it's the exact opposite. I would put this on the lower spectrum of Diva games in pure gameplay and beatmap/chart terms, but it's hard to argue with the overwhelming volume of content. If you wanna buy ONE game that lasts you a llllllllong time, this is the one. It's almost a little ridiculous.

And even though I think this is disappointing - and urge people that don't qqqqquite click with this to still give F or F 2nd a chance, if they have the means - it's still unarguably a great rhythm game.

My old nemesis, we meet again.

C2D3nTwXEAAPDe7.jpg

I could easily perfect this in Extend and F 2nd after spending some time with each game, so hopefully my fingers will eventually get used to the onslaught. This chart is hella fun, though.

I think it's the exact opposite. I would put this on the lower spectrum of Diva games in pure gameplay and beatmap/chart terms, but it's hard to argue with the overwhelming volume of content. If you wanna buy ONE game that lasts you a llllllllong time, this is the one. It's almost a little ridiculous.

And even though I think this is disappointing - and urge people that don't qqqqquite click with this to still give F or F 2nd a chance, if they have the means - it's still unarguably a great rhythm game.

This is definitely not as accessible as F or F 2nd, but I'd still rank it way above X. That game's concept might have worked if it was executed well, but it wasn't executed well in the slightest.

macklelol

I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of Two-Sided Lovers on Extreme. The Extra Extreme chart is a lot better to me but that's not available until the 1st DLC pack, sadly.

SimonM7

This is definitely not as accessible as F or F 2nd, but I'd still rank it way above X. That game's concept might have worked if it was executed well, but it wasn't executed well in the slightest.

I'm torn, because I think Diva X is easily the most refined and best playing Miku game to date. I lllllove the songs/charts that are in there - love love love love - but there's no question that there is simply too little content on offer. I enjoy its new framework, but it, too, suffers greatly from a really meagre song list.

But F and F 2nd also play better than FT to me, and have the content to boot, which is why I suggested those. I agree with what some are saying, that FT definitely gets more challenging eventually than the console series does, but I find that the difficulty arc in FT ranges from basic, kinda predictable input strings, to just as basic but more aggressive input strings on higher settings. It just often lacks finesse and attention to rhythm for me. I like that I can play Yellow on Extreme in FT and it gives me more to do, but I don't think it captures the character of that song the same way. It doesn't give me goosebumps or prevent me from sitting still. There are some *great* charts in the console games, that really twist your fingers in fun, clever ways, and it never stops being about feeling great rhythmically - unless you go to the clusterfuckier songs like Sadistic Music Factory, which are more of a test of endurance.

But I guess that's what I feel like FT becomes, too, slightly. It's obviously inherent to the simpler input method of the arcade game, and even though it ostensibly looks and plays like the console divas, it feels more like a Dance Dance Revolution or Beatmania style game to me.

And all of this is before you even get into the way it's mapped onto a Dual Shock, more or less demanding macro bindings for individual songs eventually. If people get really into this, then that is super great - and I do like the game - but I also feel compelled to mention this stuff and suggest looking into the console divas if this doesn't *qqquite* get you there. Rhythm games either *get to you*, or they don't, after all, and I don't think this game would've made me, personally, a Miku fan, quite honestly.

macklelol

How do Future Tone charts lack finesse or attention to rhythm, wtf. The main games are just as predictable, for most songs it follows the vocals then adds different button patterns and more doubles the further in you get.

Loksar

Neo Member
Only a couple weeks into the year and I've already found a game I enjoy more than anything from 2016. Once you get past the initial strangeness this game is so compelling and addictive, and the overall style is very admirable. Some of the best music I've ever heard in a game too, or anywhere for that matter.

10/10!

It really is so fucking difficult though. Which is great!

SephLuis

Should've just swapped them all for Gumi stuff.

Gumi deserves a game of her own. An actual good one.

I could easily perfect this in Extend and F 2nd after spending some time with each game, so hopefully my fingers will eventually get used to the onslaught. This chart is hella fun, though.

Chart is hella fun and hella painful the first times. I managed to pass this one a few days ago and it's possibly the easier 10 star song in the game.

A bit confused by the insistence of "new models"; the models in this game are from the 2013 refresh of Arcade. It's only slightly newer than the models from f/F, and only look different because Arcade has a completely different team at the helm.

It's also a given that the lack of translated lyrics are a rights issue and not merely one of effort. Getting translated lyrics for every song in this game down the pipeline would have delayed this game by years.

Roubjon

It's actually crazy to me how much more difficult this game is compared to all the other ones. I love it.

cj_iwakura

A bit confused by the insistence of "new models"; the models in this game are from the 2013 refresh of Arcade. It's only slightly newer than the models from f/F, and only look different because Arcade has a completely different team at the helm.

It's also a given that the lack of translated lyrics are a rights issue and not merely one of effort. Getting translated lyrics for every song in this game down the pipeline would have delayed this game by years.
Wasn't aware of that to be honest. And I agree on the second point, but it's a fair point of critique.

Kumubou

I'm torn, because I think Diva X is easily the most refined and best playing Miku game to date. I lllllove the songs/charts that are in there - love love love love - but there's no question that there is simply too little content on offer. I enjoy its new framework, but it, too, suffers greatly from a really meagre song list.

But F and F 2nd also play better than FT to me, and have the content to boot, which is why I suggested those. I agree with what some are saying, that FT definitely gets more challenging eventually than the console series does, but I find that the difficulty arc in FT ranges from basic, kinda predictable input strings, to just as basic but more aggressive input strings on higher settings. It just often lacks finesse and attention to rhythm for me. I like that I can play Yellow on Extreme in FT and it gives me more to do, but I don't think it captures the character of that song the same way. It doesn't give me goosebumps or prevent me from sitting still. There are some *great* charts in the console games, that really twist your fingers in fun, clever ways, and it never stops being about feeling great rhythmically - unless you go to the clusterfuckier songs like Sadistic Music Factory, which are more of a test of endurance.

But I guess that's what I feel like FT becomes, too, slightly. It's obviously inherent to the simpler input method of the arcade game, and even though it ostensibly looks and plays like the console divas, it feels more like a Dance Dance Revolution or Beatmania style game to me.
I can't say I agree with you regarding the charting in Diva F/F2/X compared to Future Tone. It's not a strength of the series, honestly -- and the way the games are structured (both for the PS3 games and FT) it means that the charts are never going to get too involved, and having to hit multiple sequences at once (as you would in something like Beatmania IIDX) is never going to happen.

That and F and F2 don't have that much more content than X... all three games combined would still be at less than half of the content of Future Tone. I actually think most of the structural changes made in X made the game worse (not unsalvageably so, but if Sega makes another game like that I hope they either rework or ditch a lot of those changes).

You do have a point regarding the button layout being awkward on a controller, but I think they figured that people would adapt and gave people full button configuration options so people could come up with whatever they were comfortable with. And seeing people this game on pad... it's probably the right call.

I suspect it's both -- there's a lot of other untranslated elements in the game (such as all of the title cards -- and they didn't even have subtitled translations in the PVs like they do in F and F2), but the licensing/approval issues would render any consideration of this moot anyway. Maybe if they were localizing the games (with translated lyrics) since the first PSP game, but oh well.

Demoskinos

So anyone know whats up with the trophy for setting "39 recommended modules" trophy?

I've been buying the recommended modules for each song I play and setting them as I go and I just got the trophy for clearing 39 Future Sound songs but not the module trophy?

Hmmmmm

miku

So anyone know whats up with the trophy for setting "39 recommended modules" trophy?

I've been buying the recommended modules for each song I play and setting them as I go and I just got the trophy for clearing 39 Future Sound songs but not the module trophy?

Hmmmmm

The default outfit probably doesn't count as "recommended", or you need to set it again

I'll put X as a lower tier Miku game too. Half the game is terrible grinding.

Only if you choose to go for all modules/accessories or trophies. You can also play Cloud Requests until you unlock the final medley and after that just play in Free Play mode like any other Project Diva game. It sucks that you can't unlock modules that way, but it doesn't have to be a grind fest if you don't want it to be.

Kumubou

I would say the timing in this game is fairly solid, but the way scoring works is kind of dumb:

...and the sad thing is, that wasn't even my best score. :| It turns out that each good is only -231 from the max possible score (220 for the difference for cools and goods and 11 for the life bonus), which can be lost if you are behind more than 21 or more hold frames (holds are worth 11 points per frame, per button held).

It's not even the #1 score on the American leaderboard (about 550 points off), and that was only after finding a max hold bonus in the song that you have about a five frame window to hit. In short: optimizing songs for max score in this game is silly. D:

Intel_89

Is this worth dropping £40 for or should I wait for a sale?

The chances of this ever getting a retail release is really slim right?

Intel_89

Yes it's worth it, and it'll probably never be physical.

Thanks, I'm still unsure about it though. I've never dropped so much money on a single digital purchase and having access to every single song from the start means the only things you have to look forward to unlock are more modules. I need to make up my mind before the 16th as that's when my 20% off code expires.

Chorazin

Thanks, I'm still unsure about it though. I've never dropped so much money on a single digital purchase and having access to every single song from the start means the only things you have to look forward to unlock are more modules. I need to make up my mind before the 16th as that's when my 20% off code expires.

If you averages 3 minutes per song, that's 11 hours just to play through each one once assuming you finish each song the first time you play it. What do you need to unlock? How many games have you spend retail price for that you've played much less than that?

ramyeon

The real progression in these games is your actual skill level. Getting better rankings on songs as you get better is really satisfying.

Locking songs just gives the illusion of progression.

Roubjon

I would say the timing in this game is fairly solid, but the way scoring works is kind of dumb:

...and the sad thing is, that wasn't even my best score. :| It turns out that each good is only -231 from the max possible score (220 for the difference for cools and goods and 11 for the life bonus), which can be lost if you are behind more than 21 or more hold frames (holds are worth 11 points per frame, per button held).

It's not even the #1 score on the American leaderboard (about 550 points off), and that was only after finding a max hold bonus in the song that you have about a five frame window to hit. In short: optimizing songs for max score in this game is silly. D:

How the hell did you 100% Cool a song in this game. I always end up having a 60/40 split between Cools and Greats. I can't tell if it's because my game is calibrated incorrectly or if I'm just bad at it. The timing just never feels right to me.

I got over 300 hours on F 2nd and not a whole lot of those were spent unlocking songs. This isn't really a series for the solely progression-minded imo, though X dabbled in that with limited success.

Incidentally, I gotta call out the unlock key on being kinda pointless. I've just been playing normally and I've already unlocked just about every module I wanted. The game is generous with its VP and modules don't cost a whole lot so I don't really see why you'd pay to unlock everything when it takes such a short amount of time. Now, X I can see because that game is grinding and RNG hell.

Top Bottom