• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Video Game Graphics surpassed Toy Story 1?

Well GAF have they?

If yes what about Toy Story 2?

Toy Story
BDDefinition2011ToyStory3D-1.WM_.jpg

Toy Story 2
ToyStory204.jpg~original

Make your case for or against.

Where would you place games against CGI movies?

Mariolee

I think video game faces are certainly more expressive and nicer looking than the human ones in Toy Story. On mobile so difficult to post pics.

sn00zer

Yes in regards to every except image quality, lighting, and pure geometry density.

Regardless I think aesthetically games have far surpassed Toy Story

Only way they haven't is IQ, but that's because prerendered footage has the luxury of taking as much time as it needs to supersample to several times the output resolution

Cartman86

Banned
Overall I'm going to say yes. Obviously hand animated pre-rendered stuff can focus on things that a real time game engine can't, but comparing in-engine cutscenes of the best games to Toy Story I think it's arguable which is better.

eerik9000

The original release of Toy Story was rendered at 1536x922 resolution in 1995, the Blu-rays and screenshots you posted are from a new render that was done for the 3D re-release in 2009.

Gurish

I see the new GOW demo and yea, I can definitely keep watching an entire film with those visuals and it will be far more pleasing to my eyes than Toy Story 1 that feels pretty dated and ugly by comparison, so I'd say a big YES, even if technically some will disagree, in my subjective opinion it looks much more pleasing aesthetically.

Xun

The original release of Toy Story was rendered at 1536x922 resolution in 1995, the Blu-rays and screenshots you posted are from a new render that was done for the 3D re-release in 2009.
IIRC nothing was changed apart from the resolution.

Thorgi

Yes

God of war 4 as of now has almost the same fidelity as Beowulf to me.

Almost...

I'm not sure that those pre-release materials really count as a game. Not that I care about final image quality (the final product is beautiful regardless, with a few exceptions like Colonial Marines), but it will likely not look this good in motion on an actual console.

No real time graphics have, or ever will, surpass the masterpiece of real life detail captured by pixar in toy story. No video game will ever make you question the mortality of throwing away your toys and leaving them behind like TS did. No video game will ever touch on LGBT issues as well as toy story did either, Ms Nesbit was ahead of its time.

But seriously, no not really. I mean you might say graphically a game like Uncharted looks more life like than your early 1990s CGI film but theres a certain amount of detail you're not going to get on a video game vs a linear 2 hour set piece.

SalvaPot

I'll argue Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 is on par. But even then its really hard to beat an actual movie because of the details that go into making it.

Movies are rendered offline. There's no point comparing real-time graphics to that.

Modern games' assets and quality rendered at absurd resolutions just for playback would trump Toy Story in every possible way.

During gameplay we're not there yet. Actually we're a long way out.

Gurish

Yea that's a nice art, but during gameplay most of the time the game looks rough, not impressed at all by Zelda visually, it's great for last gen, nothing more.

GOW looks better and more pleasing to the eye than Toy Story during just regular gameplay, no need for fancy concept art or bullshots (like someone here put), just play the regular E3 demo and continue to play till the end of the game and I'm enjoying the visuals more than Toy Story 1.

Well this thread hasn't started off very fairly, then. Are there any hi-res captures of the original, full quality Toy Story recording? I'd love for someone to post that; would probably make the whole thread a lot more fair.

Mulgrok

I wish I could remember where I read the quote, but they downsampled Toy Story from a rediculous resolution, and it took almost a day to render each frame. Imagine the image quality of a game if it had 1 frame every 20 hours.

Guess Who

Banned
I mean, people will nitpick about IQ, and yes, it will probably be a billion years before we have the level of perfect IQ you can get in a pre-rendered video today running in realtime, but games still look better than Toy Story now, and that's what counts. Unless you are incredibly anal about perfect IQ and prioritize that over basically every other aspect of the visuals, games look better than Toy Story.

Top Bottom