• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you actually beaten The End in Minecraft's survival mode?

Have you beaten The End in Minecraft survival mode (any version of the game)

• Yes, I beat the End and got that sweet dragon egg

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, I did other stuff instead

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I read an old anecdote about how fewer than 30% of players finished Grand Theft Auto 4's storyline. Minecraft is kind of this generations mega-influential title, which hardly needs to be said. A lot of folks have played Minecraft, but have you "beaten" Minecraft? I don't think it's really necessary to beat Minecraft in order to enjoy your time spent in the game. Heck, lots of people probably don't play vanilla Survival but instead play creative mode and various mods. But I'm still curious.

Gifmaker

Not without cheats to get there in the first place. The hoops you are expected to jump through to achieve some things in the game are pretty ridiculous. Imagine playing Minecraft without a wiki or guide of some kind.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lol fuck no
Bought the game on
Pc
Android
Ios
Ps3
Ps4
Vita
One
3ds
Wii u
Switch 2x
Pc
Windows 10
Oculus VR
Gear VR
Oh and pi?

XD

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not without cheats to get there in the first place. The hoops you are expected to jump through to achieve some things in the game are pretty ridiculous. Imagine playing Minecraft without a wiki or guide of some kind.
There was a time when crafting was remembering the correct pattern of ingredients on a 3x3 grid.

I do think getting to The End is a genuine challenge, let alone being well-equipped enough to beat the boss there. For a game as popular and arguably casual as Minecraft, it's cool that the ending is still an achievement. That's why I was curious if other people had beaten it.

Gifmaker

There was a time when crafting was remembering the correct pattern of ingredients on a 3x3 grid.
Precisely, that is actually most of my experience with the game. I just started playing again like six weeks ago after a long break, and it is the first time I have seen crafting recipes and stuff inside the game. I am not surprised they had to eventually include it though, because some things are just too abstract.

Man, I can remember a time when running was a brand new thing...

Shotpun

I answered no but the last time I played Minecraft The End didn't even exist in the game yet.

I can't see myself picking the game up ever again unless the Windows 10 version gets full mod support. OG minecraft has mods but I can't stand the jittery pile of crap the OG Minecraft engine is, I don't know does it have awful frame pacing or what. Windows 10 version on other hand is perfectly smooth but doesn't have mods, therefore it's more like a tiny demo of a full game than an actual full game.

So looks like Minecraft stays on my list of games I own but haven't finished forever.

Last edited:

ljubomir

I do think getting to The End is a genuine challenge, let alone being well-equipped enough to beat the boss there. For a game as popular and arguably casual as Minecraft, it's cool that the ending is still an achievement. That's why I was curious if other people had beaten it.
Well this is genuine news to me. Playing Minecraft since early betas, and watching Notch scramble to tie enough loose ends for a 1.0 release, the ending always struck me as unimaginative, shallow and incredibly easy. You simply need a 2-3 stacks of arrows and some food and the boss is a goner. The only semi-challenge is getting there, but since you can craft what essentially is a stronghold compass, there's no discovery involved.

So it's intriguing for me that people find it challenging.

Last edited:

ljubomir

Precisely, that is actually most of my experience with the game. I just started playing again like six weeks ago after a long break, and it is the first time I have seen crafting recipes and stuff inside the game. I am not surprised they had to eventually include it though, because some things are just too abstract.

Man, I can remember a time when running was a brand new thing...

There are crafting recipes now? :(

-Arcadia-

Banned
Let me put it this way. While you’re beating The End, and taking on Cthulhu-esque horrors, I’m just farming, planting flowers, and feeling accomplished at all my stables of animals. If our games were connected, I would be an NPC in yours. : P

Maybe one day, though... I’ve been playing on and off for years, though, and I’ve just never been that hardcore. The furthest I got in that direction was lighting a portal to the Nether, and that was crazy to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom