• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been addicted to microtransactions?

RedRum

Banned
Anyone? I have. There was a period when I was just starting to get into mobile gaming. I had a slow phone so I could not play what I really wanted, which were RPGs. So one day I downloaded:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameforge.xmobile.war&hl=en

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com2us.HB3DLITE&hl=en

Together I had spent well over $400 in a matter of a few weeks. Especially the war stat-based game and all you is upgrade and buy units to attack and defend yourself from other players. A battle happens with a click and you gain experience points. You can also farm single people and they can also farm you which adds to your loses. The addiction is wanting to win and farm others and I winded up using real money for in-game currency to upgrade my units.

The homerun game is where you have to hit more homeruns the your opponent in order to raise your ranking. You can buy balls in the game to help you do this.

This happened for a few months before I told myself that enough was enough. However, it was very difficult to not be addicted to want to win in these free to play games.

UberTag

Free-to-play = pay-to-win

Say goodbye to your wallet.

I've had a problem with purchasing content in The Simpsons: Tapped Out myself. So long as you set a budget for yourself it's not an issue.

georly

Almost, for about 2 minutes... in nintendo's badge arcade. Whew.

I got out before it got bad. 3 bucks, no more.

No, not addicted. I've probably spent $50 on mobile microtransactions over the years, but I don't really regret it. Once I've put a considerable number of hours into a game and enjoyed it I don't feel bad for throwing a bit of money to the people who worked on it when I get something back in the game.

I was guilty of buying a few of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer packs. Those first few weeks of multiplayer were a good time. But never really had a compulsion to do it like you OP. That's a lot.

I did get addicted to buying all the old consoles I owned as a kid off of eBay and spent close to $500 tacking down N64,Dreamcast, PlayStation and a bunch of games in the span of two weeks. Not the same thing though. Wife was still pissed. Worth it.

Fucking REQ packs in Halo 5. At least $30 worth. Though after BTB came out I stopped playing Warzone. Wish I could give away my tanks and 40 Ghosts away to someone who really wants them.

nah, but tbh I do like to support f2p games that I like and usually spend anywhere from $20-50 bucks in the ones that I've enjoyed for anywhere from 5-20 hours.

for example: dota 2 is a game that I've played hundreds of hours in and I made it a point to spend $60 over time, almost as if I bought it like a full price AAA game

but addiction? no way, I'm above it

Haunted

Thankfully not. I'm too tight for that.
tumblr_nsgxwqLV0t1snmvb8o1_400.gif

nubbe

no way
I spend maybe €5-10 on a game if I kinda enjoy it

But the time stops in F2P games make me lose interest in them right away

eFKac

I'm too poor to be addicted to microtransactions :-/

Instead I pour hours into mictrotransaction filled games until I'm bored with them.

Fat4all

Banned
There was a 5-week period where I spent $50 on that shitty Gameloft My Little Pony iOS game.

More of a small stint.

Red UFO

I bought a set for every Dota character, although I've put in 3.5k hours so it's kinda my way of saying thanks(????)

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Fifa ultimate team player packs. In my school fifa was king and ultimate team was how we all spent our time. Spent more money then id like to admit but that was like 3 years ago and never bought micro tranactions since

Fewr

Singstar stuff. Other things here and there, nothing relevant.
I saw the potential money sink of the nintendo 3ds home screen badges and decided to quit before I even pent a cent there.

Waiting for better stuff on pokémon shuffle to justify my 300+hrs of playtime so far.

Top Bottom