• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it

JUST because of that? No, I don't think so. But it sure played a part sometimes. If the tone is self-aware dumb or empowering-sexy and not "shy manga girl with wobbly big boobs saying awkward things" that helps a lot.

eliochip

FXIII

Lightning is queen

(In all seriousness, no but I do buy games because of great character designs. Deus Ex Human Revolution for example.)

KooPaL

Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. I tried so hard to sell that game as "good" to my friends just so I don't feel like I bought the game for pretty CG ladies. Nope I definitely bought it for the CG bikini clad ladies...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Not for sexual attraction, but I admit a game with a visually interesting main character/cast in the game will raise my interest in the game.

Not exactly what the topic is asking, but good character design of certain types (male, female, human or not) will attract me more towards a title certainly.

Spades

dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-fortune-collectors-edition-435065.20.jpg

Totally imported this just for the deep lore and gameplay.

autoduelist

The intention of using sex is often to draw initial attention. You may not have bought a game because it's using sexual imagery, but that may be why it peaked your interest in the first place.

It's more complex than you're assuming.

This.

It's like how so many people says 'advertisements don't affect me. I've never bought anything because of an ad.' Riggghhhttt. That just signifies the person has no clue how advertising works. It is a multi billion dollar indystry, with massive research branches that have been studying human behavior for decades, for a reason.

Xilium

Romance options in games became a thing for a reason and are in increasingly more games. I think a lot of people in this thread are lying to themselves because they're morally opposed to the idea that "sex sells", despite being human and falling victim to it like anyone else. Even if it isn't THE reason you buy the game, attractive characters likely got you interested enough in the game to at least want to look into more.

It's well known that the phrase "Sex sells" is real in a kind of way, but it doesn't work as literally as people may think.
People will get interested, or at least you will have a moment of their attention, by having an attractive person in the advertisement for it.
Most people won't buy it just because it features a hot guy/girl, but if you catch their attention, you'll have the chance to be able to convey a message or at the very least the idea of your product and maybe people will remember your product when they remember the person (or vice versa).

I've never bought a game because it features a hot girl (in my case), but I've gotten interested into learning more from games that feature a character that I like aesthetically, and some I have bought after learning about them.
I "discovered" Monster Hunter because I liked the design of the Kirin Huntress back in the PS2 days, but fell in love with it because the character made me research into the game.

Gbraga

Not necessarily "hot", but character design is certainly a big draw for me. At least to get informed about games I would otherwise never bother to look up, and then the rest of the elements convince me to give it a shot.

Like, I love "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" anime, so the character design and overall relaxed atmosphere that Atelier games seemed to have got me interested. Bought Totori Plus on Vita and Sophie on PC.

I really enjoy attractive characters, and I have a lot of fun joking around with things like Gladio's abs or 2B's booty, but it's more of a "I like it when the characters are attractive" rather than something that I demand to be interested in a game. The concept of a final fantasy road trip and being a sequel to Nier were the biggest draws, and I wouldn't be less interested if the characters all looked like Papa Nier, but for more niche games that I'm not familiar with the franchise, it surely can play a role in fighting for my attention in such busy times.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Street Fighter (IV and V)

For multiple girls but Juri above all. I'm not particularly good at fighting games either which is why I hardly ever buy them.

I did not buy SFV until Juri was available as DLC.

Until Dawn is probably the only one. That one brunette who would always get mentioned in threads for hated characters was one of the main reasons I got it. The faces in that game are still pretty damn life-like.

Zee-Row

Banned
Until Dawn is probably the only one. That one brunette who would always get mentioned in threads for hated characters was one of the main reasons I got it. The faces in that game are still pretty damn life-like.

Emily? Yeah she was really attractive despite her personality in the game.

tkscz

Maybe a hot woman?

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended. So the world might be mended.

Take a look at my avy to understand

gelf

I just have to say I genuinely only buy DOA for the fighting. I like it because of all the 3D fighters it's system is the closest to my favorite series Virtua Fighter. I dislike the boobie fighter aspect as it stops the series gameplay being taken seriously.

Also the name was... well thought. -Still haven't played it though ^^

I remember thinking the voice acting was super cool and the style to be actually kinda good. Just the graphics and gameplay were more on the shit and semi-broken side.

Now I don't want a sequel, but a game very similar to this with some gameplay hints taken from Max Payne 2 (didn't like the weight of the movement in 3 and would fit a female character even less) and all the Platinum games.

royox

I almost bought Beyond Two Souls because I had a thing with Ellen Page
he's almost a clone of my ex.gf :____

No. It's nice if you find an attractive video game character you can Rule 34 if you are into that kind of thing. I'm not against it in the least but it doesn't apply to me when buying a game.

Nope.

But games like Onechanbara, BMX XXX, and Guy's Game have appeal to me for the fact they exist with how crass they are. They're something you want to show to people.

Ya know, it's funny that you bring all 3 of those together, yet BMX XXX and The Guy Game are on a different level, IMO, than Oneechanbara.

In retrospect, I'm not sure I'd have ever gotten into Fire Emblem if not for the waifu element of Awakening.

But I'm hard pressed to think of any time I have been conscious of making a decision like this.

RM8

Romance options in games became a thing for a reason and are in increasingly more games. I think a lot of people in this thread are lying to themselves because they're morally opposed to the idea that "sex sells", despite being human and falling victim to it like anyone else. Even if it isn't THE reason you buy the game, attractive characters likely got you interested enough in the game to at least want to look into more.
Ah, we're lying. You just know it! Got it, lol.

No, sorry. But I have skipped games that I've deemed too fanservicey!

Kindekuma

Banned
I got Catherine on PS3, I knew next to nothing about it other than my friend telling me it was a fantastic game.

No regrets.

No. I can tell you that sexual ridiculousness has turned me away from buying titles, but sometimes I've ignored it cause of a good developer (bayonetta, blazblue ) .

dh4niel

Lara Croft definitely had my attention in my pre-teen years but I've never understood people having boners for fictional characters.

Top Bottom