• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki retires from film-making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_

Damn, didn't think this news would make me as sad as I feel now.

His movies did have a lasting impression on me though. It really is the end of an era.

watkinzez

It's nice that he'll continue on with museum shorts, even though it's an effort for foreigners to see even a few of them. Seeing Kaze Tachinu next year will really be something special, then.

Close second are his episodes of Sherlock Hound which many people don't seem to be aware of. So in case you need a Miyazaki fix...

These are great. His two episodes from the second Lupin series, too. So full of ideas and so much fun to watch.

I guess it was going to happen eventually. I'm hoping Ghibli are looking for new directors in case Takahata retires as well.

Goro did From Up On Poppy Hill and that was pretty good, though I'm hoping he can do something much like Earthsea but better for his next film. Yonebayashi (Arriety) is doing Porco Rosso 2, which is fuck yeah.

qindarka

Banned
I guess it was going to happen eventually. I'm hoping Ghibli are looking for new directors in case Takahata retires as well.

Goro did From Up On Poppy Hill and that was pretty good, though I'm hoping he can do something much like Earthsea but better for his next film. Yonebayashi (Arriety) is doing Porco Rosso 2, which is fuck yeah.

Is he? I thought news of a sequel to Porco Rosso was false, the result of a mix-up with The Wind Rises.

Raxus

I saw this coming but still sad to see him go. Any up and coming anime directors I should watch out for? The only one that hasn't died or retired that pops into my head is Gendo Mamoru Hosoda.

zeroshiki

I probably worded that poorly. Of course Miyazaki has had a strong impact on the industry (and Japan as a whole, really); what I was trying to say is that he's not leaving behind him a stable of younger directors who can directly carry on his legacy at Ghibli.

This I agree with. At the same time, Miyazaki's mark on Ghibli is so strong anyway that there might not be a point to carry on.

Jintor

It seems that they didn't really bother trying to bring in new talent anymore either. Why hasn't the guy who made Arietty signed on for another movie? That one was brilliant. And I guess Goro isn't doing so bad now. But I don't think he can ever reach the heights of his dad.

Such a pity about the director for Whisper of the Heart. Among my favourite Ghibli films.

Desmond

Great directors. Unlike many, I didn't like Nausicaa for some reason. As someone else said, thankfully Ponyo wasn't his last. The Wind Rises is very good.

I hope Takahata doesn't retire :(.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Obviously his Real Son™ Hideaki Anno will take his place along with Yonebayashi.

I don't get why you'd need to announce it. Just stop making them.

Unless of course being a public figure means he gets offered stuff all the time and this is just to shut them up.

He was in retirement before he made spirited away. His inspiration came from meeting one of his friends daughters and then deciding to create spirited away.

Sad to see him go, wish he was at the ghibli museum when I was there this summer. :(

I just realized that the day Miyazaki dies, I'm going to collapse. I feel awful right now, not having to wait for a new Miyazaki film feels like the beginning of death.

FACE

Banned
nooov0bp4.gif

I don't get why you'd need to announce it. Just stop making them.

Unless of course being a public figure means he gets offered stuff all the time and this is just to shut them up.

Normal non-public figures announce their retirement too, they just don't stop going to work one day. And I'm not sure what's wrong for a public figure to publicly announce the end of their career, a ton of people across the world certainly care to hear the news.

zeroshiki

Miyazaki is also basically holding up Studio Ghibli by himself (the Takahata movie notwithstanding) its probably a good idea to give a heads up to your business partners and fans as well.

What a ridiculous complaint.

zeroshiki

This is the first time there's been an actual announcement from Ghibli itself. The other times have been just him saying offhandedly that he's taking a break or a reduced role. Considering his age, its got to come true one of these days.

Guys, From Up on Poppy Hill is fine. Most of you talk like Earthsea was just released and like that was the only thing Goro did. The disappointing-son meme is tired.

k7X8Yhh.jpg

Go watch it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This just got reported by several news agencies and was also flashing on the prompters on Japanese TV. Studio Ghibli announced that Hayao Miyazaki will no longer make any "long", or feature-length movies. I suppose that allows him to keep making short films if he wants to, but the last feature length movie we'll see from him is Kaze Tachinu. :(

Source: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20130901/j60950410000.html

Edit: if a mod could fix the thread title, thanks. :)

Anime-gifs-5.gif

D:

GCX

Hopefully he uses his retirement days drawing manga and stuff. A workaholic like Miyazaki doesn't know how to stop alltogether.

abadguy

Banned
Bye dude.

I still can't decide if I like Kiki's, Mononoke, Nausicaa or Totoro more. But surplus of choice for favourite is hardly a flaw.

Mononoke and Spirited Away are probably my favorite films by him. I enjoyed Totoro and Lupita a lot too, still haven't seen Porco Rosso yet though.( also hope to see Future Boy Conan at some point) Would have enjoyed Nausicaa a lot more had i not read the manga first. Any one who has not read the manga version( which is drawn by Miyazaki himself) should definitely do so! It's only about 4 volumes long, Princess Kushana is far more fleshed out than she was in the movie and an all around excellent character, plus the manga has one of my favorite villains of all time: The Dorok Emperor.

As for him retiring, yeah it sucks but i guess he's had enough of the workload to get these films out i guess. Just glad he's still living, at least there is a chance of him coming out of retirement again for another film. Same can't be said of Satoshi Kon and Ryutaro Nakamura.( RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom