• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki retires from film-making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
This just got reported by several news agencies and was also flashing on the prompters on Japanese TV. Studio Ghibli announced that Hayao Miyazaki will no longer make any "long", or feature-length movies. I suppose that allows him to keep making short films if he wants to, but the last feature length movie we'll see from him is Kaze Tachinu. :(

Source: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20130901/j60950410000.html

Edit: if a mod could fix the thread title, thanks. :)

duckroll

http://mainichi.jp/mantan/news/20130901dyo00m200036000c.html

Studio Ghibli just announced that Hayao Miyazaki has officially retired from directing feature films. His latest movie Kaze Tachinu will be his final film. It seems like he's still going to continue on at Ghibli, so he'll probably be directing more shorts, supervising stuff, and maybe doing scripts, but he will not be doing another full length feature film again. End of an era.

N1zXvnu.jpg

zeroshiki

According to NHK he tried his best not to ruin his health and finish Kaze Tachinu and he's retiring from feature films. What that actually means we're not sure. Ghibli is fucked though.

duckroll

This is what I get for spending another minute polishing up a post. Beaten by a quick snipe with a typo in the title that I have to fix too! Bah!!!!!!!!

J/k, I <3 you Oichi.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
fucking horrible start of a day. First David Frost, now Miyazaki retiring from feature long movies. Bloody hell

Cedille

I actually don't miss him that much. He used to make amazing films, but from this century most of his works have just disappointed me or been just "okay" at best. Spirited Away and Howl were very huge hits, but were two of his worst works.

I think he retires, mostly because he's no longer able to amaze us anymore.

Empty

:(

hope he enjoys his retired life; directing full films must be grueling at his age. hopefully kaze tachinu is a lovely swan-song too.

i'd like it he can help out younger ghibli directors with his screenwriting as i thought that worked nicely on arrietty.

zeroshiki

Hasn't he retired before?

He did it before Howl's and Spirited Away (I think?) but those were sorta kinda retirements. This one came with an official announcement from Ghibli and press releases.

Kaze Tachinu definitely feels like a retirement movie and I'm not surprised he has announced his retirement after it. Its probably true. The man is old and has been doing this all his life.

Ronok

Goro won't be able to step up, so if he's really retiring I don't expect to see Studio Ghibli keep up their high standards. What a sad day. :(

Peru

I actually don't miss him that much. He used to make amazing films, but from this century most of his works have just disappointed me or been just "okay" at best. Spirited Away and Howl were very huge hits, but were two of his worst works.

I think he retires, mostly because he's no longer able to amaze us anymore.

Don't mistake your twisted view of the world for the real thing.

TasTokyo

A great shame. His movies are just fantastic.

The only Goro one I saw was Tales From Earthsea and it was pretty terrible.

I have to say though it is a very very odd movie to do this after the movie is out. I would have thought they would have wanted him to announce it sooner so they could have used it as a MASSIVE marketing push.

zeroshiki

A great shame. His movies are just fantastic.

The only Goro one I saw was Tales From Earthsea and it was pretty terrible.

I have to say though it is a very very odd movie to do this after the movie is out. I would have thought they would have wanted him to announce it sooner so they could have used it as a MASSIVE marketing push.

Well, its not likely they could promote Kaze Tachinu MORE. This way, the movie probably gets a second wind on its 2nd month in theaters.

Jintor

Bye dude.

I still can't decide if I like Kiki's, Mononoke, Nausicaa or Totoro more. But surplus of choice for favourite is hardly a flaw.

I'm not surprised. Kaze Tachinu seems like a film that would serve as Miyazaki's last statement. I'm not sad either; Miyazaki hasn't been on his game for over a decade, so it's best for him to retire here after what is apparently a pretty good film than leave further stains on his legacy. I'm sure he'll still be around at Ghibli assisting on other people's films, but thanks to his failure to develop a younger generation of talent he's not really going to be leaving a strong legacy that way either.

Amazing director. Can't wait to see THE WIND RISES.

I think Mononoke will always be his best film, while his Nausicaa manga is his artistic magnum opus.

zeroshiki

I'm not surprised. Kaze Tachinu seems like a film that would serve as Miyazaki's last statement. I'm not sad either; Miyazaki hasn't been on his game for over a decade, so it's best for him to retire here after what is apparently a pretty good film than leave further stains on his legacy. I'm sure he'll still be around at Ghibli assisting on other people's films, but thanks to his failure to develop a younger generation of talent he's not really going to be leaving a strong legacy that way either.

Miyazaki might not have influenced current animators directly through working with them (except the people who left like Anno) but his influence on the industry is so strong that everyone has been influenced by Miyazaki in a way.

Miyazaki might not have influenced current animators directly through working with them (except the people who left like Anno) but his influence on the industry is so strong that everyone has been influenced by Miyazaki in a way.

I probably worded that poorly. Of course Miyazaki has had a strong impact on the industry (and Japan as a whole, really); what I was trying to say is that he's not leaving behind him a stable of younger directors who can directly carry on his legacy at Ghibli.

duckroll

If Takahata retires as well after Kaguyahime is completed in 1-2 months, then now is the time for Ghibli is act. They should actively seek out directors interested in making different types of films at Ghibli and support them as much as possible to see if they can find success with different formulas.

Aranath

I actually said "noooo" out loud. Damn it.

Oh well, he's made a great number of fantastic films in his time, which I am incredibly thankful for. He's certainly earned a damn-good retirement.

Munin

It seems that they didn't really bother trying to bring in new talent anymore either. Why hasn't the guy who made Arietty signed on for another movie? That one was brilliant. And I guess Goro isn't doing so bad now. But I don't think he can ever reach the heights of his dad.

If Takahata retires as well after Kaguyahime is completed in 1-2 months, then now is the time for Ghibli is act. They should actively seek out directors interested in making different types of films at Ghibli and support them as much as possible to see if they can find success with different formulas.

I honestly think it's too late now, I think Ghibli want to focus on a very specific type of film and they seemingly weren't happy with the "experiments" Ocean Waves and The Cat Returns that were made by younger people. I also can't help but feel that Ghibli's management might suffer from the kind of tunnel vision and archaic conservatism that's typical for Japanese companies.

I think after Miyazaki and Takahata are done they'll just do what they threatened years ago, just become a shell company to manage the franchises.

hym

Banned
Enjoyed all his work but Porco Rosso remains my favorite.

Close second are his episodes of Sherlock Hound which many people don't seem to be aware of. So in case you need a Miyazaki fix...

Jb

Heartbreaking to see one of the most creative directors of our time leave us, but that time had to come eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom