• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HAZE impressions & media thread

Aeon712

4 Player Co-op is the single reason I've been wanting this game. I've never played Timesplitters so dunno how good free radical is though I've heard great things. Biggest selling point is being able to complete the game with fellow PSN friends.

Aeon712 said:
I've never played Timesplitters so dunno how good free radical is though I've heard great things. Biggest selling point is being able to complete the game with fellow PSN friends.
You've never played Goldeneye? These guys know how to make a great FPS.

Aeon712 said:
4 Player Co-op is the single reason I've been wanting this game. I've never played Timesplitters so dunno how good free radical is though I've heard great things. Biggest selling point is being able to complete the game with fellow PSN friends.

Get ut3 free radical are the most over rated devs going people even credit them for games they had shit to do with.

"Biggest selling point is being able to complete the game with fellow PSN friends"

ut3,hl2 are going to fill this roll better

PnCIa

the_zombie_luke said:
You've never played Goldeneye? These guys know how to make a great FPS.
Some of them worked on Goldeneye back in the day when they were with Rare. Portraying it like "they" are the team behind Goldeneye is just wrong.

PnCIa said:
Some of them worked on Goldeneye back in the day when they were with Rare. Portraying it like "they" are the team behind Goldeneye is just wrong.
I never said such a thing, but it probably sounded that way. Considering that Future Perfect rocked and was just like a next generation Goldeneye, it's clear that they probably did have a lot of influence on Goldeneye. A lot of the Goldeneye guys aren't with Free Radical, like Martin Hollis, but they do know how make a good FPS. Even if they only did a small part of Goldeneye's development, it's not like they would forget their work on Goldeneye, and clearly they didn't with Future Perfect.

JB1981 said:
The singleplayer looks like it might be ok but the multi looks pretty terrible imo.

Well, believe it or not, but everything in FRD history suggests that the MP might be the strongest component. Of course, both components could suck or both could rock, but the MP is definitely what FRD has traditionally done the best.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Thank you
Do you not have anything better to do than troll up this thread? You seem to take pride in plucking interested people one by one.

Actually the most pathetic poster since Chibicyclist.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Visualante said:
Do you not have anything better to do than troll up this thread? You seem to take pride in plucking interested people one by one.

Thanks, was just typing up something similar :D

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
-COOLIO- said:
what percentage of the original goldeneye team do you think are working on this game?

Not sure but here's the first paragraph from the corporate section -
Free Radical said:
After leaving developer Rare in February 1999, former GoldenEye and Perfect Dark team members Dr. David Doak, Steve Ellis, Karl Hilton and Graeme Norgate began trading as independent developer 'Free Radical Design' a mere two months later

http://www.frd.co.uk/corporate.php

Kittonwy

Banned
No_Style said:

That dude is AWESOME. AWESOME. I'm totally sold on the game. He's probably been boozing up all afternoon while didn't get enough sleep, I love to get all talkative and stuff when hammered. That water bottle ain't carrying water, if you know what I mean. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
That dude is AWESOME. AWESOME. I'm totally sold on the game. He's probably been boozing up all afternoon while didn't get enough sleep, I love to get all talkative and stuff when hammered. That water bottle ain't carrying water, if you know what I mean. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH.
Indifferent2.gif

According to Derek Littlewood, Raob (the guy being interview) doesn't actually drink. Shocking, although perhaps not; most of the obnoxiously intense people I know are sober fuckers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
Exactly what I was thinking. Totally sold me. The negativity towards this game, by some, is weird. Maybe it's those who don't have a PS3 and have to wait till.........maybe never to play it. GET OVER IT HATERS, this game looks hot. Seriously gonna put money down for this.

And I'll tell you this....I'm absolutely 100% confident, that this is gonna be gansta!!
Scroll to about 10:40 to hear this hilarious portion

EDIT - The end was truly magnificent. Best interview ever!!!>!>!>!>!>!>

PoliceCop

Banned
Visualante said:

Whatever happened to that guy? He really sucked.

tribal24

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

enthusiasm ftw!? he sold me on it too

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
According to Derek Littlewood, Raob (the guy being interview) doesn't actually drink. Shocking, although perhaps not; most of the obnoxiously intense people I know are sober fuckers.

Dude if he wasn't drunk when he said
shit cock
, somebody should go to PAX and get that dude drunk to see what he can do, that kid's got POTENTIAL, gotta harness it to its fullest.

Nectar grenade? GANGSTA.
Indifferent2.gif

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kittonwy said:
Dude if he wasn't drunk when he said
shit cock
, somebody should go to PAX and get that dude drunk to see what he can do, that kid's got POTENTIAL, gotta harness it to its fullest.

Nectar grenade? GANGSTA.
Indifferent2.gif

Holy shit, he's got Vin Diesel's voice, but with a British accent!

"Smoahk heum!"

Alf-Life

Aww man, I was so hyped for this game... then I played it at GC. :(

Now, Free Radical have never imho released a bad game, so I don't think this will suck... but it probably has to get delayed or some serious polish - the vegetation was really popping in badly, the environment was a jungle 'corridor'... the encounters were kinda poor.
Looks like they had animation problems too - I chased down a Promise Hand rebel trying to melee him, and he was crouching, taking cover, turning, with a lot of glitching. :(

When I did melee him... strange, it almost had nice death-anim-to-ragdoll, but everything seemed a bit slower - reminded me more of PDZ or Riddick than the excellent Timesplitters, but I'm sure they'll iron that out.

There was a 1-second black fade when the drop ships napalmed the horizon which seemed like they beamed me to another section of the map. Then, they sort of half took player control (you couldn't move, but could look, but then you couldn't fully look, and then look control was also taken over :s)

The anti-aliasing and sharpening made everything look ten times worse. :(

On the positive side, the controls were really nice - only beaten in smoothness by Halo 3, and considering it's on the flimsy sticks of the PS3 that's really great that they have at least matched - probably bettered - Future Perfect's Dualshock smooth controls.

Also, it looks like the same demo from Ubidays, so I just hope they've polished the hell out of it since then, or they just tell Ubi to let them delay and polish it up a bit.

llTll

Banned
Aeon712 said:
no :(, my fps is limited to Resistance, Halo 2, Unreal Championship and Red Faction.

haha. i am like you - unreal chamionship + Halo 1 + Time splitters 123

these guys are the best when it comes to fun FPS games. i am buying this day one. the 4 online coop is worth it.

Yixian

Banned
Sunday, Monday, Ubidays
Tuesday, Wednesday, Ubidays
Thursday, Friday, Ubidays
Saturday, what a day
Grooving all week with you.

These days are ours, share them with me, oh Ubidays
These days are ours, happy and free, oh Ubidays
These Ubidays are yours and mine
These Ubidays are yours and mine

Ubidays!

Steroyd

:D

Haze: Online Co-op Driving AU Hands-on
We get behind the wheel of a 2-tonne death machine and shake some dust.
by Patrick Kolan, IGN AU

Australia, August 29, 2007 - We're pretty jazzed about Haze, ever since our UK counterparts wrote a feature outlining their hands-on experiences with a few snippets of the single-player game. We got the same chance recently, but instead of re-treading the UK's experiences, we decided to investigate the driving mechanics of Haze in the Quarry level. For in-depth analysis of team tactics, Nectar and various parts of the gunplay portion of the demo, check out IGN UK's feature.

Part of Haze's appeal lies in the game's drop-in, drop-out 4-player campaign play. On the Quarry level (squished in between the Mantel and Rebel sections of the demo), this was best demonstrated with the two Trooper Carriers situated in the opening bay area of the level. Free Radical, the game's developer (and masterful team behind the Timesplitters series) have taken the right approach to what is essentially cooperative multiplayer mayhem in a story-driven mission.

The Trooper Carrier. Look at the majesty. Loads of the stuff.

We blitzed through this section of the timed demo in all of five minutes, but that afforded us time to go through and experiment a little bit. The Mantel-side level is quite linear; located in an old stone quarry and spanning across to a ravine and gully section that is reminiscent of Motorstorm in its natural dustbowl aesthetic. From an architectural standpoint, there's plenty to ogle at all times. Massive cranes tower over the path, earth-moving machinery create obstacles in your path. The buildings themselves are mostly empty, save for your typical explosive barrels, neatly stacked tyres and large steel shipping containers. Cement tubes and wooden barriers provide plenty of cover for on-foot travel if you decide to forego vehicular travel on this level.

You probably won't have a lot of time to soak up the sights, however. After joining with up to three human players, you can choose to bundle together into one Trooper Carrier, or divide into teams of two and double the vehicular mayhem. Since there were only three of us actual living, breathing humans at the controls, one of the in-game characters was AI-controlled. This led to some interesting moments.

The AI team mate has manners - insofar as he'll actually wait until all the human-controlled players have taken their seats or turrets in the vehicle before deciding on his best position. In one instance, where we all strapped ourselves into combat-positions in the wheeled behemoth, the AI character instinctively went for the steering position and took off like a shot. He seemed to be a pretty aggressive driver too, choosing to make his way past pursuing enemy vehicles and straight into the ravine instead - where the demo promptly fades out towards the end of the series of bends in the ravine.

The Turret attached to the back of the Troop Carrier. Note the nifty Nectar effect.

Upon replaying the level, we took control of the vehicle for ourselves, leaving the AI in a winger position on the left side. The Trooper Carrier's controls were still a little rough in the build we played - which was apparently the Leipzig version. There was a definite lag to the steering, which made doing precision cornering a bit of a chore. The R1 and L1 accelerate and brake controls mostly worked well; however, it would've made much more sense for these to be mapped to the triggers for analogue control.

The reason, we presume, is that Nectar can still be activated when either steering or riding shotgun - and this is mapped to the L2 trigger. That's kind of a bit pointless for steering, as far as we can see. However, for riding on the truck's sides or as gunner, a dose of Nectar adds the usual sight-enhancement features, such as less side-to-side motion blur, auto-targeting and a glowing filter-layer over enemies.

The beefy chain-gun, strapped to the top and set back on the Trooper Carrier acts much as you would expect - if you've ever used a Warthog in Halo, you'll see what we mean. However, unlike Halo, can also gun in first-person in this position, and you can activate Nectar to aid you. It's effectively a heavy munitions cannon that, in the build we played, still didn't have all its visual effects in place. It seemed pretty punchy, but didn't quite have the metal-shearing, mind-blowing stopping power to rip through enemy vehicles as much as we'd like it to. It worked well for mowing down groups of rebels hiding in buildings and up in the large, steel-frame construction yard midway through the level. It also coats surfaces in bullet holes to nice effect.

Rolling the Carrier causes anyone on-board to automatically pop out. Meleeing with your gun is enough to roll it upright. Thankfully, the ride seems to take a lot of punishment, too. The game was automatically set to easy, which might account for the lack of destructible elements on the car, but we unloaded clip after clip into the side, front and tyres, and there was very little damage done, apart from bullet holes. No deformation or tyre deflation, unfortunately. It wasn't until we started throwing down grenades into the centre of two enemy trucks and two Trooper Carriers that things got really interesting - characters flew in all directions and the vehicles flew upwards and away in spectacular and entertaining fashion. Blowing stuff up is fun!

Inside one of the warehouses near the start of the level.

In the early build we played, the enemy AI still needs tweaking. Again, the difficulty was easy and this was unfinished code, but we were able to hop out of our car, run into a building and sidle up next to an enemy and stand there, gun pointed in his ear, while he fired out the window. It wasn't until we cracked off a round at him that he turned to take evasive action - but it was too late. We ventilated him like a screen door and moved on.

Hopping back into the car one more time, we took it off some wooden jumps just for the hell of it (that's called 'convenient level design'), before plunging off the entrance to the ravine section. In a chance for the side or rear gunners to get proactive, the sides of this gully are lined with large, black explosive limpet mines that explode horizontally in a burst of dirt and flame when you approach them. The gunners should optimally be aiming at the walls and taking them out while the wheelman keeps things on course. It's trickier than it sounds, since the route is littered with broken machinery, and each explosion rocks your chassis and dislodges boulders the size of a pregnant antelope that you can collide with, sending you tumbling.

Selecting your position in the Carrier is easy. Just head to the front to steer, back to gun, or either side to go shotgun.

Also worth mentioning was the way in which we set up the co-op. We had three PS3 demo units set up, so we each had our own screen - always optimal. However, instead of linking all three systems together via LAN, the game was actually being hosted somewhere in the US. The game took a good 30 seconds or so to find the server, but once we were in, there was no discernable lag. For three Aussie players on a US server, that's a mighty big accomplishment. The only real issue, which hopefully will be rectified in time for release, was that some players actually started a good minute ahead of others, meaning one player was forced to defend himself while the other players were properly deposited into the level.

The engine still has a little ways to go, but small details, such as the gorgeous plumes of dust generated by tyres churning up the earth, and great character and vehicle models, show that the talent is there. We're hoping these final months in development are spent polishing Haze into a gem of a title in all respects.

As a distraction from the very cool firefights and squad action sequences that dominated the other sections of the demo, the vehicular combat works well. There are still a lot of improvements we'd love to see implemented between now and its November release, but we're confident David Doak and company will see this ship through to clear skies and calm waters.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/816/816897p1.html

Sounds great.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Remember that video showing that magically moving and blurred controller? Makes sense, I suppose.

I wonder what that was though since Ryan said they only got the stuff to add rumble a week before TGS.

SolidSnakex said:
I wonder what that was though since Ryan said they only got the stuff to add rumble a week before TGS.

Maybe that's the official line or something, don't know. I do know that Yescombe mentioned rumble in an interview long before TGS, so it'd seem as if they at least knew about it.

Kariido

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Lol, is that an official promo trailer or fan made?

It's so stupid oO If it's an official one then they really shouldn't be promoting rumble like that lol.

Also :lol @ "Only on Playstation 3... ... ... this Christmas!" lol

Someone told me that its a real commerical.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Raistlin

Aeon712 said:

My only concern is for how well Free Radical has come to grips with the gameplay of a more 'methodical' FPS title.

Their previous games were absolutely manic ... approaching twitch, PC fps speeds.

Metalmurphy said:
Lol, is that an official promo trailer or fan made?

It's so stupid oO If it's an official one then they really shouldn't be promoting rumble like that lol.

Also :lol @ "Only on Playstation 3... ... ... this Christmas!" lol

I think it's just another "satirical" deal. Not totally successful, and it makes me even more confused about the general tone of Haze. Maybe it's just FRD having some fun with the announcement of rumble though.

Top Bottom