• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

I honestly couldn't care any less about the whle 576p thing as I wasn't able to notice it all during my time with the demo.

...I just don't like the game, really. Thought it looked okay, though.

It's the blurriest current-gen game I've playedo on my Aquos, but it was a solid demo and I'll probably be buying it unless some horrid reviews hit. It seems like the kind of game that'll have some neat environments and setpieces that that short demo didn't touch on, a la Resistance.

sajj316

gamerecks said:
It is, 2 player local, 4 player online.

to clarify ...

2 player local
4 player online co-op (single player and with 2 players per PS3)

in a nutshell, everything put 4 player splitscreen ... maybe in Haze 2 or the next Timesplitter game :D

rumor is that its 16 player multi-player. Is that confirmed?

We're talking nectar? And scores (well, scores and embargoes)?

There's a nectar points joke buzzing to be made, I know it.

nectarcard.jpg

Found this over on PS3 attitude. I put in bold one part I found interesting about the Multiplayer. Sounds like each map when playing the multiplayer Assault Mode has a different game mode or objective, so there is more like 8 online modes instead of 3.

Haze Week; 5 things you may not know about Haze

Haze Week begins at PS3 Attitude - check back every day for new Haze content, information and exclusives... plus details of our biggest competition yet!

Let's start the ball rolling with a few details you may have missed during the recent information storm surrounding Haze.

1. Multiplayer has 8 modes, not 3

Whilst you may be excused for thinking that Haze only has three multiplayer game types - Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Team Assault - the reality is that Team Assault has a lot more to offer than it seems.

Each of the six maps has a different Team Assault mode, changing the multiplayer gameplay depending on which landscape you choose to fight in.

2. The script brings people out of retirement

Carlos Riera, a Spanish star who plays Gabriel "Skin Coat" Merino (the leader of the rebels), apparently came out of retirement to do the voice acting after having read the script. Of course, we gleaned this fact from scriptwriter, Rob Yescombe...

The voice talent also includes Rupert Evans, who has been seen in films such as Hellboy and on the sci-fi TV series Lexx.

3. Spanish people love Haze

The acting for the various rebel soldiers was performed by a group of Mexican actors who happened to be in the UK performing Shakespeare at the time when Free Radical were recording the voices.

Consequently, the accents and inflections are spot on, and that's one of the reasons the Spanish press seem to have really latched on to Haze.

4. The single-player campaign will take you about 8-10 hours to complete

Like that other great FPS title, CoD4,the single-player campaign could be seen as a relatively short experience.

However, just like that other FPS, it is an emotional ride with a great story and a real sense of involvement. The main difference between the two titles is the switch from one distinct style of fighting (when playing as the dosed-up Troopers) to another (the nimble and resourceful rebels).
Of course, this is only in Normal difficulty. Hard is particularly challenging and completing the game in that mode unlocks Extra Hard, in which you die... a lot!

5. Separated at birth

"Skin Coat" looks remarkably like one of the Directors of Free Radical, David Doak. Take a look at the pictures and decide for yourself.

Speevy

Banned
Both Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 were games that natively supported a lower resolution and were then upscaled. Both games looked great on the Xbox 360 and COD4 looked great on the PlayStation 3.

Yeah, but Haze doesn't look great.

SappYoda

3rdamention said:
3. Spanish people love Haze

The acting for the various rebel soldiers was performed by a group of Mexican actors who happened to be in the UK performing Shakespeare at the time when Free Radical were recording the voices.

Consequently, the accents and inflections are spot on, and that's one of the reasons the Spanish press seem to have really latched on to Haze.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Spanish people hated halo2 because voice acting was performed by mexicans.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
3rdamention said:
However, just like that other FPS, it is an emotional ride with a great story and a real sense of involvement. The main difference between the two titles is the switch from one distinct style of fighting (when playing as the dosed-up Troopers) to another (the nimble and resourceful rebels).

Of course, this is only in Normal difficulty. Hard is particularly challenging and completing the game in that mode unlocks Extra Hard, in which you die... a lot!

You don't have to beat it on Hard to unlock Extra Hard. "Great story and a real sense of involvement" is also factually incorrect.

SappYoda said:
That doesn't make any sense at all. Spanish people hated halo2 because voice acting was performed by mexicans.

*That* doesn't make any sense, as Spanish people *are* Mexicans and vice versa...

aren't they?

N30RYU

SappYoda said:

True, I'm spanish (from spain) and most of the people here buyed (or wanted to buy) the UK game to pay it in english instead of the "neutral spanish".

Isn't that we hate the mexican voice acting... we where grown with mexican dub animes like Transformers, Danger Mouse and many many more... we hated the game for lying to us telling us that the game was in full "neutral spanish"... sounding a little weird (like in our childhood) for a videogame... when all is now dubbed in spanish from spain.

Geek said:
You don't have to beat it on Hard to unlock Extra Hard. "Great story and a real sense of involvement" is also factually incorrect.

*That* doesn't make any sense, as Spanish people *are* Mexicans and vice versa...

aren't they?

No, technically "Spanish people" is supposed to refer to European Spaniards, not Mexicans, or anyone one else South American. It is incorrectly used to refer many to Spanish speaking people as a catch all term.

sajj316

madmook said:
I hope the retail version doesn't have that "blur filter" or whatever is on the demo. Anybody know?

You're getting whatever was in the demo ... 2xAA plus blur ... at least there are only a few jaggies :D

FabCam

madmook said:
I hope the retail version doesn't have that "blur filter" or whatever is on the demo. Anybody know?

The demo was a build from November so it might have changed or it might not have.

Also, to clarify. It's 2 player local co-op. 4 player onlone co-op. But you can have 2 people on one console play online with another 2 people on one machine. So you can play 4 player co-op on two machines.

And finally. Multiplayer stuff is still under wraps. All we know is that each map has a different "objective" mode as well as the usual. So there will be many different modes.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
hmm thinking about preordering on amazon. They say it comes out tomorrow.

BTW anyone know if you can change your controls? I didnt particularly like the demo's control scheme. Another thing that rub me the wrong way was that I got a bit dizzy from the environments since a lot of the areas in the demo looked identical.

Nightz

PistolGrip said:
BTW anyone know if you can change your controls? I didnt particularly like the demo's control scheme.
You can customize the controls any way you want. You can even do it in the demo. I used a COD4 like scheme and had no problems whatsoever.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Nightz said:
You can customize the controls any way you want. You can even do it in the demo. I used a COD4 like scheme and had no problems whatsoever.
Thanks, just preordered because of your post :)

I didnt notice that in the demo.

FabCam

PistolGrip said:
hmm thinking about preordering on amazon. They say it comes out tomorrow.

BTW anyone know if you can change your controls? I didnt particularly like the demo's control scheme. Another thing that rub me the wrong way was that I got a bit dizzy from the environments since a lot of the areas in the demo looked identical.

Firstly, I ordered from play.com who also said that they have it in stock. It should arrive sometime this week.

Secondly, all controls are customizable. You can even do it in the demo. Whilst I changed to the CoD4 controls to start, I think the default controls have been specifically desgined with the games gameplay in mind.

EDIT: already beaten :D

Geek

Ninny Prancer
HomerSimpson-Man said:
No, technically "Spanish people" is supposed to refer to European Spaniards, not Mexicans, or anyone one else South American. It is incorrectly used to refer many to Spanish speaking people as a catch all term.

Here's something else I didn't know until now--sarcasm is easily lost on the internet.

Doc Evils said:
What I would exactly expect from kotaku.

Lulz.

I enjoyed the 4 player co-op aspect of it, even though no one talks. Does this game have runble support? I couldn't find the on/off option, also I didn't see any sliders to adjust the sensitivity. I may get it but I still haven't even completed the first mission of GTA4. Damn you school damn you to hell! :lol

Geek said:
Here's something else I didn't know until now--sarcasm is easily lost on the internet.

Lulz.

We had a thread in this forum asking if European Spaniards were white people or not. If Europeans were white....*shakes head*

It's hard to judge sometimes with things like that.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Big Tunaaa said:
I enjoyed the 4 player co-op aspect of it, even though no one talks. Does this game have runble support? I couldn't find the on/off option, also I didn't see any sliders to adjust the sensitivity. I may get it but I still haven't even completed the first mission of GTA4. Damn you school damn you to hell! :lol

Yes, it has rumble support.

No, it does not allow you to adjust the sensitivity.

I played through the demo the other night, first by myself and then with 3 others.

It's okay. The game looks fine but not mindblowing. I could care less what resolution it's at, and I think if the game looked better MOST people would harp on that less. But it's just really average. It plays well enough but not great. I'm not excited about it, but I'll probably pick it up for $20 or something down the line to play around with when I'm bored.

Big LOL at folks with victimization complexes who attribute the overall lukewarm or negative reaction to fanboyism. Oh, I'm sure there are a few, but really, the game's just not exciting enough to get hyped about. IMO, of course.

EDIT - I also noticed that this game has an incredibly powerful pistol. Most powerful pistol since Halo1. It was basically one-shot-kill with that thing (probably on easy, but still).

A.V. Club review
Final judgment: More narratively cohesive than the Halo trilogy, but less inventive and compelling than Resistance: Fall Of Man, Haze does finally give us a self-aware portrait of videogame soldiers, and a foil for all the head-butting, "boo-yah" behavior that's been the norm for far too long in the medium. Too bad it's paired with one of the more pedestrian FPS games to come along in recent years.

A.V. Club Rating: C+

User 36486

Neo Member
"Carlos Riera, a Spanish star who plays Gabriel "Skin Coat" Merino (the leader of the rebels), apparently came out of retirement to do the voice acting after having read the script."

A true sign of senility.

mood

Yeah so Free Radical proved they could make a shitty generic FPS. Please get back to Timesplitters now.

BlockBastard said:
Woah, that's pretty surprising. I thought the demo was dull as all hell, but I never thought it would get scores lower than 7's. What the hell happened?

Well... the review does sound a bit mean:

The worse example of this has to be the visuals for the flamethrower, the Dragon de la Gente, which vomits a horrid cone of supposed flame that looks visually on par with what you'd find from the 386 PC days 15 years ago. The same could be said of the reboot text for Mantel troops, which looks blocky, heavily aliased and nondescript.

:/

Bigmac573

Banned
Very disappointing to say the least. Even if people weren't touting this game as something special, it's always sad to see a game in which so much effort was put in score that badly from a big-named site like IGN. Could you imagine the pain of the dev team seeing this after doing nothing but work on this for the past 3(?) years? Must make stomachs turn...

Top Bottom