• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

randomwab

Where did all the Free Rad hate come from? Every game they've put out has been solid, even back to there Rare days. If there's something these guys know, it's gameplay.

And I don't get the ammo thing either. It's been the same in a lot of FPS games I play and I've never thought about it. Halo, Gears, Half-Life, CoD4, TimeSplitters and such have always given you enough ammo. Why does it become a big deal with Haze?

Plus, is the magazine that gave it a bad score not the same one who gave Age of Conan a 9, which is already being disputed.

randomwab said:
Where did all the Free Rad hate come from? Every game they've put out has been solid, even back to there Rare days. If there's something these guys know, it's gameplay.

And I don't get the ammo thing either. It's been the same in a lot of FPS games I play and I've never thought about it. Halo, Gears, Half-Life, CoD4, TimeSplitters and such have always given you enough ammo. Why does it become a big deal with Haze?
most people have been throwing the word "generic" and "bland" around lately, apparently due to the story and looks

i don't get the hate either. the demo played really well i thought and the splitscreen co-op is something i've missed for a while these days. i say bring it on FR

Doc Evils

randomwab said:

xogsjr.jpg

and it seems like I might get the game early:

2rwuxxz.jpg

FabCam

I think the problem is that the media have been touting it as the Halo of PlayStation. It's a totally different type of FPS. Whilst it is sci-fi, all the weapons and vehicles are set very much in the modern world. Plus the story seems to be a lot grittier and pretty complex.

randomwab

Mr. Spinnington said:
most people have been throwing the word "generic" and "bland" around lately, apparently due to the story and looks

i don't get the hate either. the demo played really well i thought and the splitscreen co-op is something i've missed for a while these days. i say bring it on FR

Now I could be wrong, but "generic" is something I wouldn't call the story. From what I can see from the demo, they're making a point by having the Mantel soldiers act like the typical macho sociopaths that most games star. They act like they're untouchable through the demo, yelling and laughing when they kill someone.

As far as I can tell, this is all working toward the big "revelation" in the game when the player changes sides. I could be completely wrong, but if not, I like the angle they're going for and the way they're building toward it. People are already saying from the demo how much they hate there partners and how they act. Now, how would these people act when they are put against these guys?

As for the gameplay, it's very solid as I would have expected from FR. As I said, they know gameplay, they know multiplayer and the demo, for me, squashed all doubts that this will be, at very least, a very solid shooter.

sajj316

FabCam said:
PSM Italy gave the game a 9/10.

FabCam, I think the reviews will be a mixed bag (unfortunately). The gun play is pretty solid (typical FRD controls) and with the game running at 30 fps (rock solid) it is a pretty good smooth. For those saying its a 'run of the mill' shooter, I don't get that. Having played the demo and obscene number of times, it plays simliar yet different to COD4, Halo, and Resistance. Its a smarter game. You can't just run n'gun and expect to clean house on higher difficulty settings.

I guess the more the reviews, the more we'll know what the world thinks of Haze (critically).

sajj316

VibratingDonkey said:
Gamereactors review has been pulled?

yup, taking a hit of nectar so they can up the score ... or maybe replaying the game side-by-side with their God of games, Halo 3.

sajj316

Speevy said:
You really need to chug that nectar at 16p.

or play dead quite a bit ... who isn't stoked about playing dead, then coming from behind and doing a mele attack to induce a nectar overload :D

Talamius

Deepblue said:
Wait wat? 9-bargo? That has to be the most retarded thing I've heard today. Ubisoft do this a lot?

Every major publisher is guilty of this. 9+ our game or no early review for you!

Brashnir

Deepblue said:
Wait wat? 9-bargo? That has to be the most retarded thing I've heard today. Ubisoft do this a lot?

I don't think there's any hard evidence that says they definitely do it, but there were strong indications with the scores for Assassin's Creed. All the reviews that went up early were 9+, and all the ones that went up after a certain point were lower.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just out of curiousity, would people here prefer 576p with a rock solid framerate or a full 720p with additional slowdown?

FabCam

Brashnir said:
I don't think there's any hard evidence that says they definitely do it, but there were strong indications with the scores for Assassin's Creed. All the reviews that went up early were 9+, and all the ones that went up after a certain point were lower.

GTAIV was like this too. All the ones that got exclusive versions of a review (eg. first mag review, first video review and first online review) gave it a 10. The average was at 100 until last week.

pswii60

dark10x said:
Just out of curiousity, would people here prefer 576p with a rock solid framerate or a full 720p with additional slowdown?
Can't we just have 720p with a rock solid framerate? Remove a few stems of grass, trees or clouds or something.

sajj316

dark10x said:

576p with rock solid framerate. My only gripes are with upscaling and use of soft edges. Its like the opposite extreme of jaggy. It's soo smooth though

Xater

sajj316 said:
576p with rock solid framerate. My only gripes are with upscaling and use of soft edges. Its like the opposite extreme of jaggy.

Yeah it looms like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen. :lol

FabCam

I think the colours change when you switch sides. When you're Mantel everything is shiny and colourful but when you become a rebel, everything becomes darker and grainier.

GodofWine

Give me 576p with solid play and physics and FUN (these ARE games not art) over 720/1080 with a lack of other attributes any day.

The demo wasn't in any way poor, it was just a demo, and it was pretty decent as demo's go.

I think this one will turn out to be about as good as it was first thought. There is potential for a really good story in this one too, and only a portion takes place in the jungle that has been so highly critiqued.

Haunted

dark10x said:
How bad would the framerate be at 720p? I couldn't stomach it falling into the lower 20's like GTAIV or something. If it's just slight dips/slowdown, it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe.

This once again touches on the beauty of PC gaming, though. No compromises necessary. :D

RBH

Haze shoud turn out pretty decent. The demo wasn't mindblowing or anything, but it was pretty solid imo, and the co-op options are certainly a bonus.

mabuza said:
i cant wait for the oficial too human thread so i can get my revenge trolling on.
You're pathetic.

besada

Banned
Haunted One said:
This once again touches on the beauty of PC gaming, though. No compromises necessary. :D

Other than having to wait to play, and sometimes (Force Unleashed) not getting a PC version.

proof

Neo Member
So this strange resolution it has, is it near HD, like CoD4, or is it more like SD. Pretty confused here...all i know are 1080p and 720p and 480p :D

proof said:
So this strange resolution it has, is it near HD, like CoD4, or is it more like SD. Pretty confused here...all i know are 1080p and 720p and 480p :D

Oh man. :p
Its HD. Its good. Its upscaled. It works great. It's just said some people are anal about upscaling and want "TRUE/FULL HD ZOMG". Not all games are 720p from the get-go. Halo 3 uses upscaling to keep the game smooth and it looks great. Same goes with Haze.

That said, Welcome to NeoGAF :)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
dark10x said:

I'll take smoothness every time baby !, you know I really think this game is gonna be a sleeper hit with the main demographic.

sinnergy

shagg_187 said:
Oh man. :p
Its HD. Its good. Its upscaled. It works great. It's just said some people are anal about upscaling and want "TRUE/FULL HD ZOMG". Not all games are 720p from the get-go. Halo 3 uses upscaling to keep the game smooth and it looks great. Same goes with Haze.

That said, Welcome to NeoGAF :)

The difference is COD4 looks sharp, Haze the demo does not. Haze FTL. It's really blurry.

FrankT

Free Radical on 576p:

Free Radical: Haze is only 576p. So what?
By Frank Caron | Published: May 19, 2008 - 10:44AM CT

Though excitement was high when we finally got the chance to play the long-awaited demo of Haze last week, many noticed that the game's resolution seemed strikingly low. It's just a demo, we concluded. Alas, it seems that a lower resolution will be present in the final product: Free Radical has confirmed that its debut PS3 title runs at 576p, short of the 720p benchmark for high definition.

Haze creative lead Derek Littlewood spoke to Ripten about the resolution issues in light of a post made on the official PlayStation blog which stated the game ran at 720p. While the PS3 does upscale the title, Littlewood notes that the native resolution is lower:

We prioritise a nice smooth framerate over a different res. Personally, I don't really buy the whole thing. People did the same with Call of Duty, they did the same with Halo, and they say with those games, "It's not running at true HD!" And it's like, I don't care. If the game looks good and it runs smoothly, those are the important things to me… as you develop an engine you're aiming for a certain thing, but as all the pieces slot into place, you end up realising what sort of resolution you can run it at and that’s where we ended up with for Haze.
Both Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 were games that natively supported a lower resolution and were then upscaled. Both games looked great on the Xbox 360 and COD4 looked great on the PlayStation 3. Chances are that, for most, the visual differences with the retail copy of Haze won't be all that noticeable. Expect an OT review of the title later this week.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/05/19/free-radical-haze-is-only-576p-so-what

Regardless of how you feel either way about this I do find it interesting the Ubisoft tried to deny the initial claim.

I am getting this game today or tomorrow. If it stinks I will sell it on ebay. If you guys want to play some online, hit me with a friends request.

My PSN Name is: "Filth_Flannigan" and I plan to play the whole campaign with 3 coop buddies. Why would you want to play this alone when the whole game is 4 player coop?

FabCam

lowrider007 said:
I really think this game is gonna be a sleeper hit with the main demographic.

Same here. There hasn't really been a big online FPS since CoD4 on PS3 and people are ready to move onto something new me thinks.

Doc Evils

FabCam said:
Same here. There hasn't really been a big online FPS since CoD4 on PS3 and people are ready to move onto something new me thinks.

I think people will like the 4 player co op aspect.

Top Bottom