• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max revealed, will snatch Friends from Netflix

GameChanger

Neo Member
Jun 9, 2019
I think that these companies would be better off it they tried to just offer this as an option with a Netflix bundle, especially if they offered their services at a reduced price when joining them through Netflix. It would make sense to offer it at a reduced price because people who are already paying for one streaming service are less likely to pay for another but if it was at a reduced price that would significantly increase their chances of going with multiple services.

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

Netflix Total Premium Pack With HBO Max & Disney+ & Hulu
$35

It's like how the old cable bundles used to be and really it just makes sense that this is what should happen.

Reactions: Eraroten

macfoshizzle

Jan 23, 2009
how many subscriptions are you guys willing to dish out for? for me, it's 3 tops, assuming it's priced around $5 - 13.

mckmas8808

Gold Member
May 24, 2005
I think that the battle will be ruthless, but over the next couple of years some of these streaming services will die, others will be merged or get bought out. At the end of it, there will be a few big ones standing.

Just like in the music space you got a lot, but its really all about Apple Music and Spotify. Everything else is much much less important and rarely get exclusives.
I got Google Music and it's great.

I think that these companies would be better off it they tried to just offer this as an option with a Netflix bundle, especially if they offered their services at a reduced price when joining them through Netflix. It would make sense to offer it at a reduced price because people who are already paying for one streaming service are less likely to pay for another but if it was at a reduced price that would significantly increase their chances of going with multiple services.

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

$35

It's like how the old cable bundles used to be and really it just makes sense that this is what should happen.
But why would Disney and Warner (HBO Max) want to partner with Netflix? I think they are trying to directly compete against them.

how many subscriptions are you guys willing to dish out for? for me, it's 3 tops, assuming it's priced around $5 - 13.
4 for me. I get Hulu for free with my Sprint phone package. I got Amazon Prime, with my Prime membership. And I have HBO and Netflix.

Last edited:

Whataburger

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
I was gonna say why the fuck do people want to see Friends so fucking much? Do they not get tired of the laughtrack? I'd say that if I didn't know multiple people that watch that shit at least 5 times over in a year. At that point I wonder why they don't just buy the bd, rip em and put em on their PLEX server? Or HDD.

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

$35

Would that kind of cost be enough for those companies? Would it make them more money to get part of Netflix's profits, or would it be better just to go out on their own? And again, that's just cable's way of doing things. You pay extra to have Disney and their owned channels, you pay more for Warner and their owned channels, you pay more for Viacom and their own channels, etc etc... That was what people wanted to get away from (but without noticing have walked right back into). Even then, wouldn't it be no different than just going with two of those or three of those while ignoring Netflix? For example, I have no reason to have Netflix. Nothing on there really catches me that I can't find elsewhere. I don't care for any of their original content either. It's why I'd rather have HBO Max and Disney+.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mckmas8808

mooshie78

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2008
I see it as moot as I don't need them all at once. I can just sign up for one when content hits I want to watch (or play in the case of Gamepass etc.), then when it runs out I can grab another month if I'm still consuming content there, or cancel and sign up for another service that has things I want to watch/play.

Currently in terms of TV streaming we only have Netflix, but we also have Amazon just because we keep prime for shipping and Hulu as they included the ad supported version with Spotify for no extra cost. To be fair, we have cable still (Xfinity is our only ISP option and they charge way more for internet with out cable and we both watch a ton--especially me with sports that are a hassle to stream without a cable sub).

I'll grab months of Disney+ around the Star Wars shows I want to watch. HBO we just pay for it through cable, better to pay the $15 there than for streaming and also have that toward our 1TB data cap. No interest in HBO Max or other streaming services beyond that. Maybe there will be something my wife subs too though as she watches a ton more than I do and lost access to On Demand recently and Xfinity stopped supporting that on Tivo devices.

mckmas8808

Gold Member
May 24, 2005
I see it as moot as I don't need them all at once. I can just sign up for one when content hits I want to watch (or play in the case of Gamepass etc.), then when it runs out I can grab another month if I'm still consuming content there, or cancel and sign up for another service that has things I want to watch/play.

Currently in terms of TV streaming we only have Netflix, but we also have Amazon just because we keep prime for shipping and Hulu as they included the ad supported version with Spotify for no extra cost. To be fair, we have cable still (Xfinity is our only ISP option and they charge way more for internet with out cable and we both watch a ton--especially me with sports that are a hassle to stream without a cable sub).

I'll grab months of Disney+ around the Star Wars shows I want to watch. HBO we just pay for it through cable, better to pay the $15 there than for streaming and also have that toward our 1TB data cap. No interest in HBO Max or other streaming services beyond that. Maybe there will be something my wife subs too though as she watches a ton more than I do and lost access to On Demand recently and Xfinity stopped supporting that on Tivo devices.
When you sign back up with these services do you get to use your same email address? And if so, do they keep your video wishlist and history alive?

mooshie78

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2008
When you sign back up with these services do you get to use your same email address? And if so, do they keep your video wishlist and history alive?
Probably, but may vary by service. Netflix I know saves it. We don't really wish list things though, watched history was still there (and DVD/Bluray queue for the mail service which I've cancelled and renewed many times over the years).

I'd be surprised if most didn't save them for some amount of time though. There's usually options to "reactivate" accounts in streaming services when you log back in after canceling, so it's not a matter of making a new account or signing up again.

Reactions: mckmas8808

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
Which is something most people don't seem to understand. But it's not our fault, it's the fault of Warner. They shouldn't have called it HBO MAX.
Surely all they need to do is put out a picture. Stick HBO Max logo at the top and then all of the logos for the "channels" you get under it. Put the word "includes" under the HBO Max logo. Then a price in the top right hand corner.
Simple. Done.

black_13

Apr 15, 2005
I just hope that you can cancel these subscriptions without penalty cause I really want this and I'm thinking every month I'll cancel one subscription and try another one till I get bored of that one. None of the Netflix original content interests me anymore and they are losing all the other stuff as well.

Reactions: Ironbunny

mckmas8808

Gold Member
May 24, 2005
I just hope that you can cancel these subscriptions without penalty cause I really want this and I'm thinking every month I'll cancel one subscription and try another one till I get bored of that one. None of the Netflix original content interests me anymore and they are losing all the other stuff as well.
I'm always surprised when I see people say this, when Netflix always has good content coming out on the service through out the year.