• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Fools idol

Banned
I need to go on an adventure when I read shit like this. So much to see in the world.
heh. that game Firewatch captured it PERFECTLY. The paranoia you feel is real and I was even in one of those tall towers. Basically had to wait around all day monitoring the weather on the computer. Nothing to do but analyse every weird noise I heard outside etc. One day I even saw what I was convinced was a person, turns out it was my own fucking coat that had blown off the jeep into the trees and just hanging there.

Ulysses 31

If you think they'll be better off with someone else because you're not confident in your ability to watch over them, then you care about them. Sure Joel can blame himself. He's doing it on the show.

Just wait until he meets Tommy on the show because they're clearly headed in the same direction in both shows. At this point, you're really going to see how you misinterpret a lot of things on the show.
I never claimed Joel doesn't care for Ellie at all when they reach Tommy, he does, but the fact that he tried to cut Ellie from his life several times at that point indicated he had not reached a level of care that he wants to take on a protective guardian/father role for her.

We'll see where the show goes but with the big change of ep3 I'm more inclined to disregard the game events and see it more as a loose(r) adaptation.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I 'm not a writer, but I know some basics.

Everything you write in a story, should have some purpose. It should contribute to something. World building, character development...

The full development of this love story have 0 purpose. The same message to Joel could have been done in 15 or 20 minutes, and it would make no difference to the rest of the story.

But obviously, Druckmann and HBO couldnt miss the opportunity to make something big out of this gay relationship. I would bet my neck that if the couple were straight, there would be no filler, because
then noone would be talking about it. Straigh couples dont sell. LGTBQI+ does. That's the only reason this episode is like it is.

I mean, for sure, it was a pretty gay episode. Whether you view that through the lens of trying to tell a contemporary story and factoring in that, yes, that are homosexuals in the world, or you view it through the lens of pushing identity politics in a Trojan horse plowing straight into the center of BelovedIPville, the fact of the matter still stands: this is an adaptation, and it's most compelling thus far (subjectively speaking, of course) when it adds context through new scenes or twists established narrative points to weave a more enthralling piece of passive media.

At the end of the day, let's take a step back and realize that no one single opinion or viewpoint in interpreting art can be taken as empirically correct, and simultaneously, more than one thing can be true at a time. Was *this* story necessary to further the main storyline of Joel and Ellie? No. Did it add anything to the main characters' lore? Other than explaining how Bill knew Tess and Joel, not really, no. Was it an episode spent on a side character who is (more than likely) not going to be seen again? Yes. Was it pointless? Again, subjective, but I'd argue that a franchise like The Last of Us should follow similar broadstrokes to some of it's other siblings in Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Not for anything superficial or aesthetic, no. But what these two franchises do is treat their setting as their own main character. Spencer Mansion, Silent Hill, these are fascinating locations dripping with lore and history. The Last of Us's world is a worthy successor to that legacy, I think, in the wealth of potential stories there are to tell in the world, irrespective of the presence or absence of Joel and/or Ellie.

Someone earlier mentioned Bill being a classic foil to Joel, mirroring consequences and benefits that Joel may come to face if he keeps on a similar route, for better or worse. It's roundabout, and kind of makes me think of storytelling that wouldn't be absurd in Japanese media, but I think it's absolutely skillful and a pleasure to see when an artist is good enough at their craft that they can stealthily develop the main characters in a story that doesn't even include them, barring five minutes or so.

Swift_Star

Banned
I never claimed Joel doesn't care for Ellie at all when they reach Tommy, he does, but the fact that he tried to cut Ellie from his life several times at that point indicated he had not reached a level of care that he wants to take on a protective guardian/father role for her.

We'll see where the show goes but with the big change of ep3 I'm more inclined to disregard the game events and see it more as a loose(r) adaptation.
Doubt it.
A loose adaptation wouldn't have episodes as faithful as the first two.
The show will be faithful, that is pretty much a given. But some stuff will be adapted for the sake of variation and better translation to TV.

Ulysses 31

Doubt it.
A loose adaptation wouldn't have episodes as faithful as the first two.
The show will be faithful, that is pretty much a given. But some stuff will be adapted for the sake of variation and better translation to TV.
It doesn't need to have 95% of the game events for it to be a good adaptation, what's important (I presume) is that it's faithful in spirit of the game with whatever it changes in translation to TV show and to determine that I need to see a lot more of the show.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I swear illiteracy is not a good look. He’s not oblivious to the fact that there are gay people. If you want me to just say it he doesn’t understand why a man would want dick instead of pussy.

I taught him that penis goes inside a vagina. You know heterosexual stuff. Same things they still teach kids in sexual education. Schools don’t teach about gay lifestyles either. Matter of fact shits gotten so twisted most schools don’t even bother with sex education because there’s so much pussyfooting around and so many sensitive …… groups that want to feel special that regular, normal things that bring life into the world are frowned upon.

Do you think straight people teach their kids about gay life? We don’t know about gay life or even understand it.

If people pick it up and choose it that’s cool. It’s not something straight people teach their kids.

Imagine the nerve, what would you teach your son? “Hey Johnny did you know you can suck a dick? Here let me show you how.” Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit

On topic: This entire thread after episode 3 is one reason why most straight people don’t want this shit pushed down their throats. The other side cannot have a conversation without insulting, projecting or playing the blame or victim game it’s fucking tiring.

The show was good, I actually liked it for what it was. Interestingly enough people in this very thread and other places have said if the show was the exact same but with a heterosexual couple it wouldn’t have been the same type of masterpiece or as compelling. I wonder why. Must be heterophobes right?

A85VpqB.jpg

levyjl1988

Banned
In episode 3 I had to fast forward the gay scene it felt extremely uncomfortable to watch, me being Not gay that is. I'm here for the parasite zombies, brutal killings and harsh survival not the gay sex scene.
But the kiss with the parasite wasn't, probably because the fungus is an invasive species with penetrative acts fit its nature and its terrifying nature.

The Fartist

Gold Member
In episode 3 I had to fast forward the gay scene it felt extremely uncomfortable to watch, me being Not gay that is. I'm here for the parasite zombies, brutal killings and harsh survival not the gay sex scene.
But the kiss with the parasite wasn't, probably because the fungus is an invasive species with penetrative acts fit its nature and its terrifying nature.
Dude, they didn't even show it go in, relax. Also, when some one says "I'm not gay". It's sort of, kinda like when racist people say they have a black friend/s.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You poor thing...
Now imagine how much I, as a gay man, had to endure uncomfortably watching straight people and lesbians kiss on TV in 40+ years....

Is it me, or the environments are more "open" than in the game?
Like when they are inside buildings, you see unbarricated windows, there is less fear/tension that an infected or bad guy might right around the corner. The game seemed to be more "scary".
Tbf we've only really seen Boston and Bills place and they where well fortified so therefore no real need for barricaded windows, as for the game environments, well they're a product of the game and no doubt a gameplay factor, having said that the 2nd game had really big open environments and still felt unsettling

Chiggs

Nick Offerman was incredible. He brought a lot of depth and complexity to Bill. I loved seeing him find someone that got him. It was also a much nicer end to his story than in the game where Frank ends up hating him and hanging himself. When he said he'd put enough poison in the wine to kill a horse...

Wasn’t a complete fan of the episode, but Offerman was indeed very good in that role. No denying it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is probably a function of me not watching many shows with homosexual relationships as the subject matter, but IIRC, this is the first time a story of two men's love for each other has brought me to tears. No joke, in my mind palace, this was the story of Ron Swanson after Parks and Recreation.
Watch Brokeback Mountain. I remember watching this as a joke in college with some friends. Laughing at the sex scene. And then by the time the credits rolled, we all stood up and quietly went back to whatever we were doing before. No tears, but it definitely had a huge impact and no one was making jokes by the end.

Last edited:
I was not expecting episode 3, what a good episode. I think it did a great job of world building. I thought it laid out nicely the relationship that Joel and Ellie will have, right? Even in this messed up world you can still care about someone, you still need other ppl.

The online rage about this episode is baffling to me. So many ppl are crying "woke." I don't think I know what woke is right now lol... is "woke" ANYTHING gay? specifically only male on male gay? It was a love story between two men... neither of them were trans, drag queens, they weren't even a biracial couple. So, I don't get it. Remove the "gay" part of it... it's just a really good love story. Sappy? you bet it is... and that's why it works.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't understand why people are losing their shit at episode 3.

Personal disclosure I grew up in a homophobic environment (my country was behind the times on account of coming out from 40 years of fascist-catholic dictatorship) and my parents were conservative. I learned early in life only to use slurs for gay people and to understand that those slurs were to be meant as insulting in nature. As a result displays of affection between gay people make me uncomfortable. Brokeback Mountain made me uncomfortable and episode 3 sure made me uncomfortable as well. But you can't let that discomfort take over you, gay people are people.

Personal disclosure I grew up in a homophobic environment (my country was behind the times on account of coming out from 40 years of fascist-catholic dictatorship) and my parents were conservative. I learned early in life only to use slurs for gay people and to understand that those slurs were to be meant as insulting in nature. As a result displays of affection between gay people make me uncomfortable. Brokeback Mountain made me uncomfortable and episode 3 sure made me uncomfortable as well. But you can't let that discomfort take over you, gay people are people.
I don't necessarily think it's bad that something makes you uncomfortable, it's kinda what you do after that matters. Yea, it made you uncomfortable but you set that aside and focused on their love story and them just being ppl.

Filldo

Wasn’t a complete fan of the episode, but Offerman was indeed very good in that role. No denying it.
I was looking forward to Joel stepping into the trap and hanging upside down so I was bummed that wasn't in there, but otherwise no real complaints. Wondering how they'll handle Sam and Henry now...

Vick

I really enjoyed episode 3. Most of it was "UP opening meets Brokeback Mountain", but it was well made/acted and pretty funny, and structure-wise for certain more engaging than the first two episodes.
I still don't think this is close to top Walking Dead (or top LOST for that matter), but this episode cemented it as at least good.

What I liked the most is how different it is from the game, makes it easier to completely set the two things apart and I'll just say I feel extremely lucky having experienced all this via The Last of Us game in 2013.

I found hilarious how my fiancée was even more repulsed by all the "hairy sequences" than I was. But in the end she cried and I haven't felt a thing (someone who tear up/cries during a TLOU playthrough). I think I'm waaay too familiar with live-action media to fall for something I've seen a thousand times already. Cancer/suicide?

Please, Nip/Tuck did it infinitely better as a TV show twenty years ago (DESTROYING me for life in the process). Just as destroyed as I was when the best Clint Eastwood directed movie did the same thing that very year.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Well said. I’m sorry you had to grow up in such a harsh environment socially.

vpance

I found hilarious how my fiancée was even more repulsed by all the "hairy sequences" than I was. But in the end she cried and I didn't felt a thing (someone who tear up/cries during a TLOU playthrough). I think I'm waaay too familiar with live-action media to fell for something I've seen a thousands of times already. Cancer/suicide?

Please, Nip/Tuck did it infinitely better as a TV show twenty years ago (DESTROYING me for life in the process). Just as destroyed as I was when the best Clint Eastwood directed movie did the same thing that very year.

It's normal to be hardened to some degree, to the feels movies/shows/games are trying to get out of you, especially after you've seen the formula again and again. Just makes you a more discerning and critical viewer I think.

Bragr

Banned
I'm sorry to break this up to you but The Last of Us is not about this.
It's about human relationships and their actions on a post-apocalyptic world.
It's about human nature first and foremost.
You're watching the wrong show and playing the wrong game.
Well, it's also a lot about violence. Almost all its themes are reflected or caused through the scope of violence.

Swift_Star

Banned
Well, it's also a lot about violence. Almost all its themes are reflected or caused through the scope of violence.
Violence is part of human nature, yes, the second game is about revenge, which involves violence. But it’s not about “killing zombies”. That’s the point.

saintjules

This is why music/scores are so powerful in games and overlooked, let alone movies. Powerful sequences in the chord progressions and strings that makes things super emotional. Not talked about enough.

Hans Zimmer in Intersteller does this greatly. As well as these scenes from The Walking Dead. Those mid season finale scores are awesome.

Last edited:

Nubulax

Watch Brokeback Mountain. I remember watching this as a joke in college with some friends. Laughing at the sex scene. And then by the time the credits rolled, we all stood up and quietly went back to whatever we were doing before. No tears, but it definitely had a huge impact and no one was making jokes by the end.
I unironically thought it was a great movie. Watched it back when I used to work at a movie rental place and would usually watch all kinds of movies I normally wouldnt since I got them for free before we release date.

Man it was hard for me to enjoy this episode cus I was so worried they were gonna end up like the game. I thought bill wouldnt poison Frank and that would lead to him hating him. Glad that was not the case, best episode yet by far

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's kind of crazy how Pascal just blew up into a huge star. He had a small, albeit popular, role on Game of Thrones and then a part in Narcos - a show I don't recall ever being super popular. Now it's like everyone wants him to play their star.

I figure he must poll really, really well with a female audience of a certain demo / age range.

Spaceman292

Banned
I really enjoyed episode 3. Most of it was "UP opening meets Brokeback Mountain", but it was well made/acted and pretty funny, and structure-wise for certain more engaging than the first two episodes.
I still don't think this is close to top Walking Dead (or top LOST for that matter), but this episode cemented it as at least good.

What I liked the most is how different it is from the game, makes it easier to completely set the two things apart and I'll just say I feel extremely lucky having experienced all this via The Last of Us game in 2013.

I found hilarious how my fiancée was even more repulsed by all the "hairy sequences" than I was. But in the end she cried and I haven't felt a thing (someone who tear up/cries during a TLOU playthrough). I think I'm waaay too familiar with live-action media to fall for something I've seen a thousand times already. Cancer/suicide?

Gay UP is a hilarious way to put it

Philfrag

Banned
I never played any of the games. I've absorbed enough to know that what I've seen so far (just finished ep2) seems to be accurate enough to be respectful to the source material. At first I wasn't sure about it, the whole segment before the outbreak with the daughter I wasn't crazy about. You could definitely tell that it was adapted from a videogame that was already quite derivative of other stuff in the genre. I also found the scene where the daughter was killed to be incredibly empty, the acting and the tension leading up to it felt flat, maybe because I knew what was going to happen, I'm not sure. But everything since then I've loved. Mostly due to the actors. I think they're all great and I really like some of the subtle and understated delivery, especially from Pedro Pascal. I also think the actress that plays Ellie is fantastic, one of the best young actors I've seen in years. I think a lot of this has to be down to the directing. I'm so tired of over acting in shows and to see that type of restraint in a big video game adaption must be a testament to the producers and directors involved. I'm loving just how miserable everyone is, it doesn't let up. Even though Ellie has her quirks, its done in a grounded 'I was born into this shitty world' type of way which I think really works. So far I'm actually quite happy I've never played the games, if the show continues on a winning streak I probably never will, unless of course it comes to PC. I haven't owned a PlayStation since the PS2.

Whitecrow

Banned
Oh dear. There's so much crow to eat here.

We have now confirmation that the director literally, wanted to 'trick' the audience into watching a gay love story.
He is obviously gay, and worked in another LGTBQ+ series, and 'wanted the audience to see that it's the same love as straight people'.

It's from a Daily Wire article, and I saw it in a Geeks and Gamers video.

So yeah, this episode is not made for TLOU show, is pure propaganda. Nicely done. But pure propaganda.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Isn't Bill still alive in the game? Or supposed to be alive since he didn't show in part 2? (maybe I missed some collectible about him).

Top Bottom