• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Great finale. It worked the best when it was 1:1 to the game. Bella and pedro did a decent job, but ashley's and troy's performance is much better in the games imo.
I actually thought their performances were at least equal if not better. Being able to see Pedro’s cold, detached expression as he did what he needed to do instead of having that sequence as gameplay where you’re just seeing the back of his head made a huge difference. Pedro’s Joel came off more broken, instinctually going about murder to avoid reopening that wound, and I think I preferred it.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I agree that Part II adaptation will be a tough one. I think Part II's narrative was more designed around it being a game than Part 1 was. For example there's absoutley zero chance that Ellie boss fight in the theatre has the same weight in the show because half of it is the mindfuckery of you fighting against yourself, that part is objectively better as a game regardless of how they execute it.
Ocarina of Time did it first lol

I agree, though

Madflavor

I think I'm the only one bothered by this, but the show has established that this version of Joel is a weaker and more vulnerable version of the one from the game. He has bad knees, bad hearing, can easily get overpowered by a teenage boy, and struggles to kill 1-2 raiders at once.

Then in the finale we finally see him act like the game version of Joel. He's effortlessly walking around the hospital stone faced like The Terminator, and mowing down trained soldiers in kevlar and assault weapons. It just felt inconsistent with the Joel they've established in the show.

ByWatterson

I feel like they should have emphasised the fact that it was Ellie's choice more, as they did in the game. That would have given a lot more weight to their final conversation, which didn't hit as hard as it did in the game.
It seems as if Ellie was completely unaware she was going into surgery.

Have you played the game? Ellie is unconscious, and then she's prepped for surgery.

That's why she didn't know why she was was wearing scrubs. It's only in Part II that she wishes it would have happened so that her life could have mattered.

And this is where the lack of infected really hurts. What is she saving mankind from? Infected on the show seem like a minor inconvenience most of the time. They set up this awesome hive mind concept and then do nothing with it, Joel himself almost never deals with them.

The creators were so seduced by fleshing out the world that the relationship between these two characters, and the dangers that forge it, gets short-shrifted in favor of side characters and heavy exposition.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

There's two ways to interpret that. "Past cases" could mean studies on other immune people, but it could also mean studies on anyone that has been infected.
That's true.

Also the surgeon mentions "[Ellie's] infection is like nothing I've ever seen." so it is safe to assume there was something different with Ellie in comparison to the "past cases".

MirageMew2

Pretty safe adaptation all in all I think. Infected encounters as a whole took a backseat in the end which I think is unfortunate but that finale is such a banger it’s almost excusable. We absolutely needed 1-2 more episodes of some more recovery/bonding, as Joel getting plot armor right after a near-fatal injury just an episode before looks crazy and rushed.

It’s obvious where season 2 is going with the long pan on the dead unnamed surgeon, but I definitely don’t see it playing out the same narratively. In fact, the only way I see Part 2 translating to TV is if they switch the halves around, almost like a Season 1-B starring Abby, providing more background into her and her father’s work with the Fireflies (which Part 2 definitely covers), etc and then at a midway point drop that bomb with Ellie retaking the focus. Structurally I could see season 2 beginning in 2023 from Abby’s POV covering the following 5 years.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really thought they recast Ellie for season 2......

...I cant see how this can work.....

How do they make her this tall and slim...you know, like she aged a few years.

That's really easy to solve.
Lifted shoes. Tom Cruise wear lifted shoes in every movies lol.
And workout. I think Bella need to workout really hard to play Ellie in season 2.
And make-up, they literally make up a clicker. It's not that hard to make someone looks older.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Eh, I disagree :messenger_beaming:.
I think that the edge that Abby and Joel have (being physically much tougher than Ellie) only has any weight if they are fighting all the opponents in the game in a boxing arena 1v1.
But as soon as you put them in a scenario where they have to clear an area with 10 enemies, and they do it usually via stealth or guns, I have 0 problem thinking that Ellie can do it just as well as these two can.

Having the 14 year old Ellie would be definitely more jarring, but she's 19 (?) in the part 2, so I think it works fine.
19 and tiny. If she was 19 and strong, maybe, but she has the frame of a stick.

And with the sort of skirmishes in the game, a lot of melee and close combat, she would be better off in a boxing match.

Either way, this is what it comes down to, how you perceive what you do in the game. Every time she gets in close and there is any sort of pushing or fighting, to me, it comes off as a kid with enhanced super strength.

I think some of this is experienced based, girls will never understand this, and non-competitive boys won't get it, but any guy who ever did sports or martial arts knows that small teenage girls like Ellie are on the level of a 10-year-old boy.

Well, they wait a few years to get the show together and hope Bella grows/matures at least a little more? Maybe?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Bella is already 19. They won’t need to age her up to look 19 in the next season, if anything they tried to make her look younger in Season 1.

In any case, hand wringing over it is kinda silly. These guys have shown they know how to do the source material justice and think about these things. Either it ends up being a total non-issue that only dweebs care about (oh no Sarah is mixed race!), or they’re smart in how it gets addressed.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There's a difference. It's not just trauma of seeing terrible shit; it's a different trauma for a kid to see a grown man attempting to rape you. That makes you lose your innocence. That's what happened to Ellie after Winter, not to mention the brutal way she killed David. That stays with you. Before that, she didn't have to murder a living, breathing, non-infected person like that.

But it was still just her loss of "innocence" and child-look hope.

After Joel, she did completely lose it and got consumed by vengeance. Before Joel, she was still a functioning person with friends, a girlfriend, and a future with plans. After Joel, she had none of that.
I’m not trying to make light of the horrific David scenario, but I still think having to kill the person you love is equally as brutal. She adored Riley. Seeing her turn and having to kill her knowing that’s her in there is super traumatic. We saw how broken it made Henry when he had to do it with Sam. Enough to kill himself. And Henry was an adult. Imagine a kid going through the same thing.

But my point is the writers wrote Ellie to be that personality type that constantly overcomes all adversity. Not that a real life person wouldn’t have lingering mental health issues, but I think Ellie bouncing back from David would’ve been more in line with the Ellie we’ve come to know as they wrote her. She was special in compartmentalizating trauma.

Bella is already 19. They won’t need to age her up to look 19 in the next season, if anything they tried to make her look younger in Season 1.

In any case, hand wringing over it is kinda silly. These guys have shown they know how to do the source material justice and think about these things. Either it ends up being a total non-issue that only dweebs care about (oh no Sarah is mixed race!), or they’re smart in how it gets addressed.
If anything, I wish they'd take more liberties to expand the story, sorta like episode 3 did. They should take every opportunity to world-build.

mitchman

Gold Member
I think I'm the only one bothered by this, but the show has established that this version of Joel is a weaker and more vulnerable version of the one from the game. He has bad knees, bad hearing, can easily get overpowered by a teenage boy, and struggles to kill 1-2 raiders at once.

Then in the finale we finally see him act like the game version of Joel. He's effortlessly walking around the hospital stone faced like The Terminator, and mowing down trained soldiers in kevlar and assault weapons. It just felt inconsistent with the Joel they've established in the show.
I doubt many of the Fireflies were really trained soldiers like Joel was (former Marine, remember). He's (mostly) using a M14 rifle at close range, no body armor they have access to can stop a 7.62mm bullet that close. Possible, but maybe not plausible. As with many other TV dramas and movies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Last of Us was always designed to be more grounded. When Joel enters combat, a part of you is supposed to think "it may be possible under the right circumstances, a man could possibly kill a bunch of guys".

This sort of belief anchor is common in games that feature realistic settings, even if Joel is doing unrealistic things, he could perform his actions.

Abby can perform her actions. Ellie could not. She is doing impossible actions.
You just completely ignored everything and turned to Joel. lol

Joel was traveling with a 14-year-old girl. I fit was realistic, then Ellie would have been dead.

Bragr

Banned
You just completely ignored everything and turned to Joel. lol

Joel was traveling with a 14-year-old girl. I fit was realistic, then Ellie would have been dead.
what-are-you-talking-about-huh.gif

I think the only way to make this work is she stays on for Season 2 but to play as young ellie in flashbacks, but isn't the primary lead.

Would be a big mistake to keep her, but HBO and Naughty Dog have made a ton of mistakes here, including the use of voice actors from the game where they probably could have cast more appropriate and experienced actors.

They cut a lot of big action set pieces out that would have made the season more memorable AND they rushed a ton of scenes, almost certainly due to cost.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Joel is traveling across the country fighting grown men and infected with Ellie.

Everything in the gameplay shows both games have over-the-top action that's far from being realistic.

Ellie took out men and infected by herself to find medicine for Joel.
Ellie took out David's men and a horde of infected.

The gameplay is designed to be over the top and unrealistic and that's separate from the main story.

Ulysses 31

Joel is traveling across the country fighting grown men and infected with Ellie.

Everything in the gameplay shows both games have over-the-top action that's far from being realistic.

The gameplay is designed to be over the top and unrealistic and that's separate from the main story.
It's a bit disingenuous to describe it like that. I dunno on what difficulty you played but on hard and above, Ellie can't charge head on into every fight and you have to use stealth and wait for the right time to attack to get through those encounters. In that sense it's not so over the top as you make it seem to be.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's a bit disingenuous to describe it like that. I dunno on what difficulty you played but on hard and above, Ellie can't charge head on into every fight and you have to use stealth and wait for the right time to attack to get through those encounters. In that sense it's not so over the top as you make it seem to be.
She can barely charge at anyone on the difficulty setting.

The fact still remains, she's still taking out groups of men, and we're not talking about physical strength, we're talking about the ability to take them out period. Real humans would easily pot her and kill her, especially when she's with Joel.

Portugeezer

The finale was a good way of showing his passion for his pseudo daughter. He activated his dad strength, which is equal to the terminator, as we know.

Ulysses 31

She can barely charge at anyone on the difficulty setting.

The fact still remains, she's still taking out groups of men, and we're not talking about physical strength, we're talking about the ability to take them out period. Real humans would easily pot her and kill her, especially when she's with Joel.
Yes, one by one and with good use of stealth and her surroundings. If she gets in a fatal neck stab as her first attack then it doesn't matter much that she's smaller and weaker. So with that in mind it's not so over the top that Ellie killed multiple grown men.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So how does everyone think they will work things with TLOU2 being more than one season? Radical changes? No time jump? Focus on flashbacks? Will be interesting.

I watched the episode again. I love the music that plays when Joel goes John Wick in the hospital. It's so haunting.

Joel at the beginning says "You're especially quiet today" implying she hadn't been extra distant since the David incident. At least not everyday. There was something about that day. Thinking about it more, I think Ellie, having dealt with survivor's guilt for years is really feeling it knowing she's very close to the hospital and her blood(or she thinks at the time) will be used to make a vaccine. I think that really affects her. Plus, for all she knows, the process will take a long time and she'll have to be separated from Joel again, which sucks.

Ashley Johnson might've had the best acting job in the episode. I'm happy for her she got to show off her acting chops.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, one by one and with good use of stealth and her surroundings. If she gets in a fatal neck stab as her first attack then it doesn't matter much that she's smaller and weaker. So with that in mind it's not so over the top that Ellie killed multiple grown men.
You don't need to use stealth. You can use objects, a knife, and a gun to take out most or even all of his men during the encounter.

You're focusing on physical strength when this has to do with taking out a group of men by herself.

This is unrealistic and totally unbelievable in the real world. What you guys are doing is moving the goalpost whenever we bring up action. "Ellie can stealth" so can Ellie in Part II. You can have a shoot-out with David's entire squad and win.

Bragr

Banned

I'm not sure what you want to convey. The part in the first game with Ellie was stupid too, but it was more like a shooting gallery.

In the second game, they use a lot more hand-to-hand fighting, and it focuses more on extreme violence and realistic brutality. That makes it all the weirder to play as a skinny teenage girl.

Joel could tussle with a guy, knock him around and kill him.

Ellie in theory can't do that. Abby and Joel could, but Ellie probably benches 20 pounds. Yet that sort of combat is a big focus in TLOU2. That's the point here, Joel is a character that could survive in that world, but Ellie isn't.

I find it so strange that Naughty Dog didn't make Ellie a few years older and stronger and more experienced. It's so bizarre to me considering they wanted her to do so much combat and be so violent, yet it never crossed their mind how strange that is when she is so young and just a few years removed from being completely untrained.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm not sure what you want to convey. The part in the first game with Ellie was stupid too, but it was more like a shooting gallery.

In the second game, they use a lot more hand-to-hand fighting, and it focuses more on extreme violence and realistic brutality. That makes it all the weirder to play as a skinny teenage girl.

Joel could tussle with a guy, knock him around and kill him.

Ellie in theory can't do that. Abby and Joel could, but Ellie probably benches 20 pounds. Yet that sort of combat is a big focus in TLOU2. That's the point here, Joel is a character that could survive in that world, but Ellie isn't.

I find it so strange that Naughty Dog didn't make Ellie a few years older and stronger and more experienced. It's so bizarre to me considering they wanted her to do so much combat and be so violent, yet it never crossed their mind how strange that is when she is so young and just a few years removed from being completely untrained.

It's like you're missing the entire point of your own argument. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Action movies, IP man, all of these are supposed to be campy and over-the-top. TLOU2 is not. Ellie doesn't work against the setting of the game.

First you tell me that TLOU2 is NOT over the top and then you proceed to tell me how it's unrealistic for a small girl to take out a group of grown men by herself.

Do you see how that contradicts your own argument?

Ellie is taking out a group of men by herself because It's over-the-top and unrealistic. Ellie cannot do this in TLOU1 or 2 in a realistic setting. This means the gameplay was designed for entertainment purposes and not to be taken as totally realistic.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So how does everyone think they will work things with TLOU2 being more than one season? Radical changes? No time jump? Focus on flashbacks? Will be interesting.
It could just mean that they wont be killing Joel in the first episode. It would result in a huge drop in viewership especially since hes the main box office draw. It will probably be towards the end or mid way through season 2.

They will likely start the second season with Abby's story showing Joel's rampage from the fireflies point of view. Cut to her joining isaac while Ellie and Joel slowly rebuild their lives in Jackson. They will probably set up the seraphites and Wolf stuff while letting the Joel and Ellie flashbacks play out in realtime chronologically.

I hope they get rid of the whole Joel dying storyline altogether and diverge from the game. Let Abby kill Tommy and Dina, and playout the revenge fantasy that way. Switching to Ellie and Abby barely worked for the game because at the end of the day, you are still playing the game with the same moveset, but in the show, you're attached to the characters and just killing off the main character in the first episode is just not going to work. Especially when Bella is the weak link and Abby is bound to be extremely unlikeable unless they somehow manage to get Jennifer Lawrence or some other big name actress to play her.

In game of thrones, after Ned Stark's death, Tyrion, Jon Snow and Danerys all stepped up and became the defacto leads with Jaime, Arya, and Rob Stark all stepping us as very likeable side characters. TLOU simply hasnt done a great job fleshing out anyone beyond Bella and Joel. Everyone they spent time on was killed off in the same episode. They just cant afford to get rid of Joel.

Ulysses 31

You don't need to use stealth. You can use objects, a knife, and a gun to take out most or even all of his men during the encounter.
Depends on the difficulty you're playing. I don't recall there being enough ammo to get through those encounters with only a gun on hard and above(maybe with headshots only?) and like you said, she uses a knife and not her bare fists.
You're focusing on physical strength when this has to do with taking out a group of men by herself.
Actually, I'm not. The stealthing around and sneak attacks mitigate Ellie's need for physical strength and tip the scales in her favor.
This is unrealistic and totally unbelievable in the real world. What you guys are doing is moving the goalpost whenever we bring up action. "Ellie can stealth" so can Ellie in Part II. You can have a shoot-out with David's entire squad and win.
It's very unlikely any young teen would survive those odds but we get to play out those sections and see how someone like Ellie does survive those situations. On hard and above it does happen in more believable way without it becoming reminiscent of 80's action movies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Depends on the difficulty you're playing. I don't recall there being enough ammo to get through those encounters with only a gun on hard and above(maybe with headshots only?) and like you said, she uses a knife and not her bare fists.
You can play aggressively even on the highest difficulty setting if you know how the AI works. So this difficulty setting excuse will not work.
Actually, I'm not. The stealthing around and sneak attacks mitigate Ellie's need for physical strength and tip the scales in her favor.
You use the term weaker. Weaker means her physical capabilities. That's not nearly as relevant because Ellie barely uses any strength to take down her enemies.
It's very unlikely any young teen would survive those odds but we get to play out those sections and see how someone like Ellie does survive those situations. On hard and above it does happen in more believable way without it becoming reminiscent of 80's action movies.

If it's very unlikely then that means it's over the top and that's my point. lol.

Both games have over-the-top unrealistic action sequences, especially part II. It's unrealistic. This in my entire point.

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
But yes, TLOU2 is going to be a rough story to adapt. The entire basis of the story is to have the PLAYER choose to forgive Abby, and playing with our emotions.
Just change out PLAYER to VIEWER. I hated Abby at the beginning and then started to wonder who I really sided with by the end of the game. If they can create the same emotional rollercoaster for TV then season 2 could work really well.

Ulysses 31

You can play aggressively even on the highest difficulty setting if you know how the AI works. So this difficulty setting excuse will not work.
The typical player doesn't strike me as knowing the ins and outs of the encounters and levels so the difficulty does have great influence on the playstyle.
You use the term weaker. Weaker means her physical capabilities. That's not nearly as relevant because Ellie barely uses any strength to take down her enemies.
Because of her fighting tactics. With those tactics in mind Ellie taking out multiple grown men sounds more believable than your initial description I replied to.
If it's very unlikely then that means it's over the top and that's my point. lol.
Guess you have an other understanding of over the top, sounds to me like you use it as if it's outrageous or something when to me when seeing how she gets through the encounters on hard and above it's not.
Both games have over-the-top unrealistic action sequences, especially part II. It's unrealistic. This in my entire point.
The unrealistic part is the quick recovering from wounds but if a player can get through those set pieces largely unscathed by playing smart and patiently it's not so "over the top".

dcx4610

I didn’t watch the show other than the first and 2nd episode. I love the game and from what I saw, the game just did everything so much better. Even though I like Pedro, Troy Baker nailed Joel as Ashley did with Ellie.

The TV show felt like a remake because the game was so cinematic. For people that haven’t played the game though, I bet it was a great rollercoaster ride.

I might watch it when the 4K hits.

I’m definitely curious to see how they handle Abbey. Casting is going to be super important. I can’t wait to see the rage and fallout online. I like Abbey in the game and I think it was a super interesting to see how Joel affected her life and perspectives. I’m curious to see if people tune out of the show when it becomes about Abbey or if they hook enough people with flashbacks and Ellie scenes.

I just wish they would have gotten a more likable Ellie and I might have watched.

Bella is actually 19 right now though. She’s already the same age as video game Ellie in Part 2
The issue isn’t her age, it’s how she looks. Sorry, but it’s true, she looks too young regardless of how they dress her up. She is a baby face actress.

Edit: Nevermind it doesn’t matter. Every time the audience thinks things will go one logical way, Druckmann continues to do the opposite and gets applauded for it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's like you're missing the entire point of your own argument. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

First you tell me that TLOU2 is NOT over the top and then you proceed to tell me how it's unrealistic for a small girl to take out a group of grown men by herself.

Do you see how that contradicts your own argument?

Ellie is taking out a group of men by herself because It's over-the-top and unrealistic. Ellie cannot do this in TLOU1 or 2 in a realistic setting. This means the gameplay was designed for entertainment purposes and not to be taken as totally realistic.
Every game is designed for entertainment purposes. Both games try to be realistic and grounded, but they are writing stuff for Ellie that is reaching in the second game because of the physicality (and psychology). It's a flaw. It's not because they are wilfully writing over-the-top situations.

Portugeezer

The issue isn’t her age, it’s how she looks. Sorry, but it’s true, she looks too young regardless of how they dress her up. She is a baby face actress.

Edit: Nevermind it doesn’t matter. Every time the audience thinks things will go one logical way, Druckmann continues to do the opposite and gets applauded for it.
How she dresses definitely plays a role, as will whatever makeup they do on her (in the Hollywood sense, not that they will glam her up in an apocalypse).

Bella is 19 in real life so obviously 19 year olds can look like her. Maybe she was so good as 14 year old Ellie that it convinced you otherwise (I didn't think she was that good, but others may differ).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Every game is designed for entertainment purposes. Both games try to be realistic and grounded, but they are writing stuff for Ellie that is reaching in the second game because of the physicality (and psychology). It's a flaw. It's not because they are wilfully writing over-the-top situations.
As I said before, Ellie doesn't use her physical strength to take down enemies. She uses her knife. Abby is the one who uses her bare hands and brute strength. It's more believable for a small frail woman to take down a man with a deadly weapon. The over-the-top element in the game is how one person can take down a group of people.

The player is meant to suspend their moment of belief and be entertained by the gameplay element.

How she dresses definitely plays a role, as will whatever makeup they do on her (in the Hollywood sense, not that they will glam her up in an apocalypse).

Bella is 19 in real life so obviously 19 year olds can look like her. Maybe she was so good as 14 year old Ellie that it convinced you otherwise (I didn't think she was that good, but others may differ).
You’re missing my point. When someone has a baby face they will be always seen as ‘younger’ than they are regardless of how you dress them up. Height and body build also plays a factor in this. Good example: The actress that played Arya Stark in GoT at 18.

It’s the same as how some kids look older than they are at like 18-19 years old, depending on how their face looks and how tall they are. Good example: Rookie Lebron James at 19.

Ellie in the game had a more mature face and look at 19 in the game, and honestly another reason why it makes sense is that they live in a crappy post apocalypse world. That on a daily basis would cause massive stress that wouldn’t quite make sense for a baby faced person. Good example: Look at before and after pics of people returning from wars like Vietnam or WWII after joining at 18. That high amount of stress aged them.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The typical player doesn't strike me as knowing the ins and outs of the encounters and levels so the difficulty does have great influence on the playstyle.

Because of her fighting tactics. With those tactics in mind Ellie taking out multiple grown men sounds more believable than your initial description I replied to.

Guess you have an other understanding of over the top, sounds to me like you use it as if it's outrageous or something when to me when seeing how she gets through the encounters on hard and above it's not.

The unrealistic part is the quick recovering from wounds but if a player can get through those set pieces largely unscathed by playing smart and patiently it's not so "over the top".
It doesn't matter if the player knows the ins and outs, what matters is what you're able to do in the game. The typical player will likely play on an easy difficulty setting and blast his way through the game.

The only realism is the elements OUTSIDE of the gameplay. The over-the-top element is what you're able to do and how one player can take down a group of enemies alone.

The typical gamer likes that type of action and that's how the gameplay is designed.

The average player can understand the difference. Somehow the player can take down groups of enemies but they struggle to take down a main character during a boss fight.

A.Romero

I haven't played the game for a long time (pretty much since the launch of the original), I kind of remember it wasn't a sure thing that they could get the cure from Ellie. Wasn't there evidence or some conversation that showed that they had done the proceadure to other people and they just died without getting the cure?

I kind of felt the show handled it as if it was a sure thing they could get the cure if Ellie was dissected.

It's a big difference because if it was like I remember in the game, Joel is more justified to resist to cooperate. On the other hand, the show really shows the affection he has for her as a character flaw, dooming humanity. It's kind of harder to justify his behavior.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I haven't played the game for a long time (pretty much since the launch of the original), I kind of remember it wasn't a sure thing that they could get the cure from Ellie. Wasn't there evidence or some conversation that showed that they had done the proceadure to other people and they just died without getting the cure?

I kind of felt the show handled it as if it was a sure thing they could get the cure if Ellie was dissected.

It's a big difference because if it was like I remember in the game, Joel is more justified to resist to cooperate. On the other hand, the show really shows the affection he has for her as a character flaw, dooming humanity. It's kind of harder to justify his behavior.
Yeah it was a tape recording in the university in Colorado.

But in tlou2, they make it clear that the vaccine will work so it was already retconned in the game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Probably the best episode of the season and still mediocre; yet another infected encounter cut out.
Joel's rampage in the hospital saves the episode, but even that was super weird, the way they shot it made the fireflies look incredibly incompetent while Joel is just calmly walking around killing everyone like a terminator, not struggling for a second. Also cutting away from nearly every kill shot.

The other thing that sucked was how in the game "the cure" was not certain, here they talked about it like it was a certainty; maybe the writers are trying to paint Joel as an even bigger asshole.

Top Bottom