• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Lasha

A lot shorter in comparison to the events in game, but overall I thought Episode 2 was better then the first Episode.
Good Job

I think there's only an hour or so of cutscenes in the first game with a bit more in "interactive" set pieces. The rest is mostly walking around or shooting which won't translate into a tv show. The series is probably going to explore more than the game ever could

This show is bullshit. How come Joel already has an assault rifle? That's an end game weapon!
Thats how you know there's gonnah be time travel bullshit cause joel is already on ng+

Just finished episode 2 and FUCK that ending they did tess so dirty. A lot of it is really good but I feel like they're dropping the ball on the big moments

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think there's only an hour or so of cutscenes in the first game with a bit more in "interactive" set pieces. The rest is mostly walking around or shooting which won't translate into a tv show. The series is probably going to explore more than the game ever could

I echo this sentiment. I was actually impressed that they shot an entire scene with no dialogue to convey the same tension you'd get in gameplay, but yeah, they obviously won't be doing that for 80% of the shows run time.

Hugare

There was no cure in the game either. Ellie's immunity is the catalyst for belief in a possible vaccine. Her existence creates the conditions for Joel's choice.
If i'm not mistaken, the doctor on the 1st episode stated that a vaccine couldnt be made. At least to me, it means that even if theres someone who is immune, the vaccine would still be impossible.

To believe that the fireflies would be able to make a vaccine during the apocalypse just because they have someone who is immune is farfetched, imo.

Relax, only 2 episodes have aired. Why the need to overanalyse things you can't possibly know?
I'm relaxed. Not overanalysing, just analysing obvious information provided by the episodes aired so far.

Hammering that a vaccine cant be made 2 times in 2 episodes is not exactly subtle

Lasha

If i'm not mistaken, the doctor on the 1st episode stated that a vaccine couldnt be made. At least to me, it means that even if theres someone who is immune, the vaccine would still be impossible.

To believe that the fireflies would be able to make a vaccine during the apocalypse just because they have someone who is immune is farfetched, imo.
Re-watch that entire exchange. The context was a discussion based on the analogy using mankind's prior experience with microorganisms as a series wars in which humanity always prevailed. The dissent from the researcher was to establish a theory that fungi represented an unbeatable foe in the analogy. Ellie's existence disproves that theory by counter-example; A human who is immune to infection exist therefore some mechanism for the human body to resist infection exists. The possibility of a vaccine has been established by the events of the story. The context is identical to the game since it takes place in the real world where there is no known vaccine against fungal infection.

Evaluating the logistical capacity of the Fireflies is similarly irrelevant. The story establishes that Joel could save innumerable lives at the cost of one that he has grown to love. There isn't any duality in the scientific sense because the final logs establish that the parasite represents a massive scientific breakthrough. Joel decision was unambiguously the right thing to do within the context of his and Ellie's story.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I kinda disagree, sure they've added stuff like the beginning with the origin of the fungus but the rest was literally scene by scene condensed down.
Yeah they can't the walking around and combat although they briefly did, but it's understandable as this has to fit into 9 episodes.

ShadowNate

Well a vaccine couldn't be made in 20 years, humanity pretty much lost, billions died or became fungi monsters which cannot be reversed ever.

I don't think the show is hammering anything. This is the reality Joel survived through and has been expeiencing for literally two decades on top of losing his own daughter because outside of his control someone gave the order to outright shoot them while they were shouting that they were not infected.

The fireflies and their doctors are still going to make their case, there is still going to be hope that somehow the fungi can be stopped, especially if there is someone immune to it.

And of course there's the... other thing considering they are desperate and going in blind to get to a possible vaccine.

ShadowNate

Re: the creepy kiss scene. I thought it was sort of tribute to the famous (or infamous?) Alien 3 kiss scene between alien and Ripley and the context was quite similar as well. Though the scenes do not play out the same in the end, since Ripley has more time, is clearly repulsed/scared but very much paralysed, determined to survive long enough to kill the alien, whereas I think Tess here knows she's pretty much completely out of time -- the show seems to imply that she has barely minutes left as a non funged up human.

(I am ignoring here the rumor (?) that Alien 3 also had a alien-Ripley) sex scene idea for the plot but thankfully they spared us, lol).

About the fungi network... it's not a bad idea, but it may create problems for the show's writing down the line, since I think it will be really hard to be consistent about and not conveniently ignore when the plot needs it gone. Sort of how Stranger Things makes it a big thing about the weird and expansive root-like network in the upside-down world that people have to tip toe around, and then moments later everyone is just casually strolling around barely caring.

Yoboman

Kinda nuts how much this show is blowing up the franchise

s80WZLn.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm baffled by people preffering Tess death on the show

The whole bombastic, "hero" death with a huge explosion was cringe. Her having a pathetic death with some FEDRA guys was so much better.

Also, why she didnt use one of the many grenades on the floor? Maybe using one at the "kiss" scene.

Trying to light up the lighter when infected were already there was goofy

And the whole "infected are all conected" is a little eh ... to much, even for a franchise with zombies, imo

To think that touching some vine on the ground would alert all infected in the area ...

Still a good episode, but the first one was so much better

Agree with everything except last bit. I still think episode 2 was better mainly because of the plot explored beyond the game. The beginning was superb and the actress playing the scientist stole the show.

the only change they've made in the show, that might not be better than the games, is the change from spores to tendrils. Everything else has been better. Unlike George Lucas who sat around for a decade deciding how to ruin his movies. Druckman at least took the time to say, wait that was stupid why did i do that a decade ago, lets change that
Maybe he just wanted to move away from comparisons to covid?

Last edited:

Corian33

Picked up HBO Max to watch this and it’s well worth it so far. I was amazed at how well the scene with the clickers captured the feeling of the game and looked incredible. Really looking forward to more episodes.

Video game adaptations really can work if the people making them don’t want to sUbvErt expectations. And if you start with a game like TLOU…

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I liked this episode more than the first one. But sill I don't really feel the tension but I can't see why. I think it's because in the game, since you're the one running past infected so you're more immersed.
Also they kind of skip the tower segment teased at the end of Episode 1 no ? I don't remember perfectly the game but I remember that segment really well. It's basically where the game really "clicked" (no pun intended) for me, gameplay wise. Or was it when Tess went to open the door ? Environment felt familiar.

Mixed on the opening scene. Not sure the origins of the infection needed to be done with so much exposition. But it's maybe better for a TV show (but I always prefer vagueness and unexplained stuff). Also something bothers me a bit with the actor's play in general (in the whole cast). But I can't say what.

Tess' kiss scene was weird and unnecessary for me.

I am sure plenty of hater of Part II loved the cameo of Druckmann xD.

I probably comparing too much to the game. It makes me think that videogames are really difficult to adapt since you lose the gameplay/immersion part. So far the show is far to be bad, it's good but something hold it back.

My non gaming wife is still not convince. But to be fair this is the kind of universe she rarely likes.

Stooky

this is just further solidfying my stance that Last of Us is one of the most overrated games of all time. Because the show is way better than the game. And the shows not amazing or anything. The first episode was pretty good. The 2nd is alright. In scale of HBO shows its average. Its no game of thrones or Sopranos. And still its light years above the game.

Im on my 3rd or 4th attempt to play the game. I've quit every time because i hate the gameplay. And boy are the first couple hours annoying af. Maybe one reason the show is good is because Pedro Pascal isn't fist fighting or putting a rear naked choke on a zombie every 3 minutes
2 different mediums each respectfully does some things better than the other. Get over it.

Vick

2 different mediums each respectfully does some things better than the other. Get over it.
Guy said he only played 3 hours of the game.. meaning intro + tutorial, by far the worst portion of it.
I wouldn't really look much into anything he's saying.

And the Clickers may have looked fake because of multiple reasons, like actors movement, cinematography or general direction, or also the make-up team failing at recreating the natural translucency inherent in fungi (perfectly captured in the games), certainly not because of the "SyFy nature of the game".
The original bust for the studio made by Van Dyke looked amazing for instance, because it was and is an instantly iconic and badass design for an instantly iconic and badass enemy.

HX66IsJ.jpg

lLj1WZ0.jpg

Me1H0BT.jpg

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Watched episode 2. Better than the 1st one. Pretty decent.

So far I think the acting is still not that good, or the story. But its fine. I was kind of let down with the fight scenes for the clickers, the actual choreography of it looked strange. Joel wrestling them and running away, none of it really felt brutal or impactful. When they're sneaking around none of them looked that scared or stressed. Just kind of bland acting.

The star of the show for me is the set designers and the backgrounds in all the shots. Thats where this show shined. All the large city shots looked great. The fungus growing on the door in the museum looked great. Much more effort put into the scenery than TWD and I think so far this is really the only thing carrying the show.

The rest is fine but not doing a lot for me. I agree with the above that the kiss scene and the vines are a little odd. Still overall by far the best gaming related TV show. I think the best acting of the episode was the prequel section in India.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
was the biology of clickers and how they came to be ever explained in the game via the notes and diary entries that I never read?

like what makes a clicker evolve from a standard infected? is it just time? looking at the design of them it appears their brains / brain fungus have 'expanded' to the point that the skull has split in half, and that has of course grown over their eyes making them blind.

pretty horrifying.

Ulysses 31

was the biology of clickers and how they came to be ever explained in the game via the notes and diary entries that I never read?

like what makes a clicker evolve from a standard infected? is it just time? looking at the design of them it appears their brains / brain fungus have 'expanded' to the point that the skull has split in half, and that has of course grown over their eyes making them blind.

pretty horrifying.
The wiki gives a description of the stages of infection but the TV show might change a few things.

The host will then go through four different stages of infection: runner, stalker, clicker, and bloater or shambler; each stage is more dangerous than the last.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This show is bullshit. How come Joel already has an assault rifle? That's an end game weapon!
HA!

Glad i'm not alone in having that thought around the rifle :messenger_tears_of_joy:

One thing that pisses me off about certain set pieces in shows such as this is in such scenes where they they come upon the dead contacts. Whats wrong here?

Well, you're all fucked up, Joels probably got ten rounds in the mag left, at best, and he's carrying the groups main weapon and you all saw that it's basically death outside the main doors. You're surrounded by dead humans that had guns/Grenades..

What do you do? Thats right, you argue with each other, tell your main man to protect 'the humanity saving package' and blow it all up..

Joels still got ten rounds.

Fuuuuuccckkkkk OFFFFF. You be grabbing that shotgun, stuffing nades in your pack and seeing what other goods they had

You can tell they writers dont really follow their own logic of being in danger, it's just a plot device for the next set piece.

Any same person would have fucking Rambo exiting that building and Ellie as a pack mule for rounds. There might have even been a few sarnies there..

Vick

Episode 2 really was better than the first.
Better directed, better lit, better locations and there was actual breathing this time, felt almost like the game in this regard and those shots of devatested buildings were actually breathtaking.
Still think every scene straight from the game is significantly downgraded in a way or another, but for the rest this is really solid.

My favorite thing by far are those intros however, this opening sequence was perfect!
From now on the talk show in EPI and Indonesia opening here are game canon to me, 100%.

Fools idol

Banned
I wonder what the odds are of this leaking, like Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon did.

I hate waiting a week between episodes, just let me binge this shit Netflix style. Druck pls

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
HA!

Glad i'm not alone in having that thought around the rifle :messenger_tears_of_joy:

One thing that pisses me off about certain set pieces in shows such as this is in such scenes where they they come upon the dead contacts. Whats wrong here?

Well, you're all fucked up, Joels probably got ten rounds in the mag left, at best, and he's carrying the groups main weapon and you all saw that it's basically death outside the main doors. You're surrounded by dead humans that had guns/Grenades..

What do you do? Thats right, you argue with each other, tell your main man to protect 'the humanity saving package' and blow it all up..

Fuuuuuccckkkkk OFFFFF. You be grabbing that shotgun, stuffing nades in your pack and seeing what other goods they had

You can tell they writers dont really follow their own logic of being in danger, it's just a plot device for the next set piece.

Any same person would have fucking Rambo exiting that building and Ellie as a pack mule for rounds. There might have even been a few sarnies there..
Yeah, but thats where the human element comes in. Joel was simply stunned by seeing his gf get bit and essentially die in front of him. He doesnt care about restocking ammo and opening drawers like you would in the game. he acts like a normal human being would and goes through his stages of grief.

he says they have maybe a minute and at that point he couldve grabbed ammo but he still didnt want to leave. A lot of times logic is thrown out of the window by the most famous directors and writers because the prioritize the emotional impact of the moment over logic. If the characters acted logically at all points in the story it would be a very boring game/show/movie. The audience at that point is more involved in Tess' faith and Joel's reaction to losing Tess. Focusing on collecting more ammo at that point wouldve cheapened the moment. Now I concede that not all audiences think alike and some think more coldly and logically like you and other psychopaths who care more about restocking ammo and leveling up skill points than their dying wife.

Last edited:
I wonder what the odds are of this leaking, like Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon did.

I hate waiting a week between episodes, just let me binge this shit Netflix style. Druck pls

If anything needs a leak free run it's The Last of US.

Naughty Dogs luck with leaks is dire.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
HA!

Yeah thats a very good point. The whole thing just had no tension for me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, but thats where the human element comes in. Joel was simply stunned by seeing his gf get bit and essentially die in front of him. He doesnt care about restocking ammo and opening drawers like you would in the game. he acts like a normal human being would and goes through his stages of grief.

he says they have maybe a minute and at that point he couldve grabbed ammo but he still didnt want to leave. A lot of times logic is thrown out of the window by the most famous directors and writers because the prioritize the emotional impact of the moment over logic. If the characters acted logically at all points in the story it would be a very boring game/show/movie. The audience at that point is more involved in Tess' faith and Joel's reaction to losing Tess. Focusing on collecting more ammo at that point wouldve cheapened the moment. Now I concede that not all audiences think alike and some think more coldly and logically like you and other psychopaths who care more about restocking ammo and leveling up skill points than their dying wife.
Joel has been stunned the whole show. I think doing this Texas accent has robbed him of the ability to act. He barely has anything going on emotionally in either episode. The acting and dialogue is not that good.

You do realize they're supposedly doing all this for a car battery right? Of course they would care about a giant stockpile of ammo guns and grenades.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Now I concede that not all audiences think alike and some think more coldly and logically like you and other psychopaths who care more about restocking ammo and leveling up skill points than their dying wife.
And thats where you fucked up and have zero logic about saving anyone. Nice shade you're throwing too, for whatever reason you have, but that says more about you than you seem to realise..

But, to put it bluntly. It's just taken you however many shots to put down a clicker, you escaped, first thing you'd seen in that room with the dead bodies was a shotgun. If i've got my wife, i'm grabbing more..

That was well before we knew Tess was dying.

Nice to know though that you'd let feelings overwhelm you before taking action and actually thinking of solutions to save others

It says a lot about your character in general (y)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And thats where you fucked up and have zero logic about saving anyone. Nice shade you're throwing too, for whatever reason you have, but that says more about you than you seem to realise..

But, to put it bluntly. It's just taken you however many shots to put down a clicker, you escaped, first thing you'd seen in that room with the dead bodies was a shotgun. If i've got my wife, i'm grabbing more..

That was well before we knew Tess was dying.

Nice to know though that you'd let feelings overwhelm you before taking action and actually thinking of solutions to save others

It says a lot about your character in general (y)
Dude. It was a joke. I dont actually think you are a psychopath lmao.

I liked this episode more than the first one. But sill I don't really feel the tension but I can't see why. I think it's because in the game, since you're the one running past infected so you're more immersed.
Also they kind of skip the tower segment teased at the end of Episode 1 no ? I don't remember perfectly the game but I remember that segment really well. It's basically where the game really "clicked" (no pun intended) for me, gameplay wise. Or was it when Tess went to open the door ? Environment felt familiar.

Mixed on the opening scene. Not sure the origins of the infection needed to be done with so much exposition. But it's maybe better for a TV show (but I always prefer vagueness and unexplained stuff). Also something bothers me a bit with the actor's play in general (in the whole cast). But I can't say what.

Tess' kiss scene was weird and unnecessary for me.

I am sure plenty of hater of Part II loved the cameo of Druckmann xD.

I probably comparing too much to the game. It makes me think that videogames are really difficult to adapt since you lose the gameplay/immersion part. So far the show is far to be bad, it's good but something hold it back.

My non gaming wife is still not convince. But to be fair this is the kind of universe she rarely likes.
Lmao where the hell was Druckman in this?

I'm really not a fan of the connected fungus bullshit.

pretty horrifying.
Yes, in both games there are pamphlets that you can find that show each stage of the infected.

Runners are still half human and a lot of times you can hear them mumbling gibberish words to themselves. Stage 2 are the stalkers, stage 3 are the clickers and stage 4 are the bloaters.

Usually most infected die after the clicker stage and grow into the walls of buildings like you see a lot in the game.

But like Joel mentions in the show, some survive for 20 years or so, foreshadowing the bloaters.

engstra

Thought this was a massive improvement on episode 1. The Jakarta scene, when the doctor pulls the tendrils out of the mouth was horrifying. Feels like Joel and Ellie are growing into the roles. The museum scene was fantastic.

While still bummed out about them choosing to not do the spores, the way they have built on the fungi concept with the tendrils and networks is really cool. It also does feel like the show is rushing through some really memorable locations (the toppled skyscraper was one of my favorite parts of the game) but I do understand it from the point that there isn't actually much there that adds to the plot. Some of the choices are making this feel like more of a zombie story than the game. Tess' death is a prime example of that and was way more impactful in the game for me. The tendril kiss was really unsettling though.

Also think I've only seen one post mentioning the Druckmann cameo!

Ar¢tos

I personally think it makes far more sense and more grounded in actual science. What they described as fungal networks in forests and the like is accurate.
Aren't those in constant physical contact while infected humans aren't always in physical contact?
Such kind of networks only exist because of the constant physical contact that enables them, otherwise it's just another star wars force that has no explanation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Aren't those in constant physical contact while infected humans aren't always in physical contact?
Such kind of networks only exist because of the constant physical contact that enables them, otherwise it's just another star wars force that has no explanation.
They were in connection. They lay on the ground where the network is alive and well, and chemically feel where the other area is disturbed. Almost like a spider and it's web. Hence why Joel broke the piece and felt it was safe due to it being dry early on. Then when they were in the place the Fireflies wiped each other out in, that they noticed at the last minute it was an alive and well network which sent them running to that area.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

They were in connection. They lay on the ground where the network is alive and well, and chemically feel where the other area is disturbed. Almost like a spider and it's web. Hence why Joel broke the piece and felt it was safe due to it being dry early on. Then when they were in the place the Fireflies wiped each other out in, that they noticed at the last minute it was an alive and well network which sent them running to that area.
That makes things totally different from the game, and requires infected to touch the ground very often to get "updates" (or walk barefoot...).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That makes things totally different from the game, and requires infected to touch the ground very often to get "updates" (or walk barefoot...).
They did alter it from the game. Watch the post credit discussion where they mention changes, etc..

They're not walking around aimlessly like zombies/walkers. They are more of in a hive like state similar to ants, etc., which is why you saw them all bunched up and twitching at the same time when they receive a signal.

Clickers on the other hand. They have evolved to walk around "clicking" looking for prey. We also have yet to see the Stalkers, etc..

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

They did alter it from the game. Watch the post credit discussion where they mention changes, etc..

They're not walking around aimlessly like zombies/walkers. They are more of in a hive like state similar to ants, etc., which is why you saw them all bunched up and twitching at the same time when they receive a signal.

Clickers on the other hand. They have evolved to walk around "clicking" looking for prey. We also have yet to see the Stalkers, etc..
It makes even less sense after thinking about it, having a soil network and a human network means the fungus evolved to live and thrive both in cold soil with certain characteristics and compositions and also in warm humans (animals) with completely composition and characteristics, its basically impossible, especially for cordyceps where each strain is specific to a certain species and doesn't infect others.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It makes even less sense after thinking about it, having a soil network and a human network means the fungus evolved to live and thrive both in cold soil with certain characteristics and compositions and also in warm humans (animals) with completely composition and characteristics, its basically impossible, especially for cordyceps where each strain is specific to a certain species and doesn't infect others.
It's... it's SciFi horror. You can't enjoy anything if you read too much into fantasy.

Top Bottom