• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

FukuDaruma

Your average person watching would question the air and not masking up 24/7 especially after COVID more than this change.

Again, limiting the spores areas (or their concentration amount needed to get infected) would still be vastly more realistic than tendrils moving in realtime like an octopus or a spider... this is an adult show for adult audiences. HBO is supposed to make shows for an audiencie with a certain level of intelligence. They didn't have to represent radiation as red smoke in 'Chernobyl' because "average Joe wouldn't understand an invisible thing that kills you".

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Again, limiting the spores areas would still be vastly more realistic than tendrils moving in realtime like an octopus or a spider... this is an adult show for adult audiences. HBO is supposed to make shows for an audiencie with a certain level of intelligence. They didn't have to represent radiation as red smoke in 'Chernobyl' because "average Joe wouldn't understand an invisible thing that kills you".
There's that word again.

I find this version creepier, personally.

Kirkio

I never replay games but I enjoyed the first episode so much I bought the first game remake and completed it. I really want to replay the 2nd game but I know a director's cut for the PS5 will get announced and I'll wanna play it that way

My biggest complaint so far is that the clickers are supposed to be terrifying, and they weren't even a little bit scary. I think the problem is that they didn't do anything to effectively sell them as being dangerous. They showed a dead guy on the floor who was cut up, but....so what? When you're playing the game, the first encounter with a clicker (and many others) leads to insta-death, with an animation showing the brutal death-in-process. You immediately feel a visceral fear from them because of the consequences. In this show, it's just a dude with a mushroom on his head walking around like Michael Jackson in the Thriller video. You have to imagine what they're capable of, which is hard to do when they're just a dude with a mushroom on their head.

What they really needed was to show a clicker attacking some redshirt who wandered in off the street, in real-time.

Last edited:

Kyo

Lmao where the hell was Druckman in this?
I'm pretty sure this is him:
A2VPSQ7.jpg

enjoyed eps 2 way more than 1.

liked the flashback showing the origins of the myco

not really sure i like the connected mycelium, but i think its necessary for the show to simulate certain scenarios. where as the game youll just get a wave due to a triggered event etc. theyll use the connected myco to trigger key moments

Last edited:

Vick

My biggest complaint so far is that the clickers are supposed to be terrifying, and they weren't even a little bit scary. I think the problem is that they didn't do anything to effectively sell them as being dangerous. They showed a dead guy on the floor who was cut up, but....so what? When you're playing the game, the first encounter with a clicker (and many others) leads to insta-death, with an animation showing the brutal death-in-process. You immediately feel a visceral fear from them because of the consequences. In this show, it's just a dude with a mushroom on his head walking around like Michael Jackson in the Thriller video. You have to imagine what they're capable of, which is hard to do when they're just a dude with a mushroom on their head.

What they really needed was to show a clicker attacking some redshirt who wandered in off the street, in real-time.
I sort of agree.

However being super familiar with them from the games, hearing them off screen for the first time got me real good.

I'm pretty sure this is him:
A2VPSQ7.jpg
That's absolutely, 100% not Druckmann.

MMaRsu

Banned
She leads the conversation with Robert's men

Man - "Bitch, I will bash your skull unless you turn around and get your dumb ass outta here."
Tess - "Fuck this."

Dialog between Joel and Tess on the way to Robert.

Joel - "Be careful."
Tess - "When am I not?"

Joel - "Ladies first."
Tess - "Lady? You must be thinking of someone else."

Tess - "Get your ass up here. Let's move
Joel - "Bossy today."

*Tess shoots the man in the head*

Joel - "Who was that?"
Tess - "An old headache. Don't ask.

Tess leads the conversation with Robert
Robert - "We ain't got fuckin' nothin' to talk about."
Tess - "Put your gun down."

Joel doesn't say anything.

Tess again leads the conversation and kills Robert.

Robert - "C'mon. Fuck those Fireflies. Let's go get 'em."
Tess - "That is a stupid idea."

*Tess kills Robert.*

Tess leads the conversation with Marlene when she finds out they're smuggling Ellie.

Tess - "Speaking of which - where are they?"
Marlene - "Back at our camp."
Tess - "We're not smuggling shit until I see them."

-------------

Tess was obviously more "in charge" in the game in comparison to the actual TV show.

You should try playing the game again.
Yup its hilarious seeing people pretend that Tess wasnt the boss of the two, even though they were clearly partners in the game, she does most of the talking/wheeling and dealing during the part before her death.

MMaRsu

Banned
To try to stop/slow the spread?
Not sure how thats gonna work when its already infecting people, and Jakarta is one of the most populated cities, not sure how youd wanna manage that. Slow the spread isnt gonna stop it, if your lucky and firebomb the city you might stop it if it hasnt passed past the city borders.

Ulysses 31

Not sure how thats gonna work when its already infecting people, and Jakarta is one of the most populated cities, not sure how youd wanna manage that. Slow the spread isnt gonna stop it, if your lucky and firebomb the city you might stop it if it hasnt passed past the city borders.
Might not be enough to stop it but not doing anything and letting the infection run rampart seems like the lesser option to take.

MMaRsu

Banned
The fact that they thought they had to dumb down an adult show made for HBO based on a Playstation game is baffling.

Those moving tendrils making the fungus behave like a realtime moving animal are totally infantile and lame. There wasn’t any problem for the audience to understand radiation in Mazin’s ‘Chernobyl’ but now they thought their audience was too dumb to understand spores infection? really? 🤦‍♂️

Not to mention they made Tess a lot less badass than her character in the original videogame at every turn.

Like a hard ass like Tess would call a 14 yo kid she’s smuggling as cargo “sister”. Yeah, right. This kind of cringe dialogue, that isn’t present in the original story at all, reeks of desperation to pander to what they think politically correct feminist ‘modern audiences’ would find ‘cool’.

tlou-tess.gif
Clown opinion

MMaRsu

Banned
Might not be enough to stop it but not doing anything and letting the infection run rampart seems like the lesser option to take.
The doctor is smart and understands that theres no escaping this, better to firebomb the city.

I suspect the writers/HBO didn't want our protagonist to been seen killing in cold blood like that so early in the show.
But Joel kills a infected grandma, tells Tommy to run people over and kills the guard at the end of ep1 with his bare fists.

Ulysses 31

But Joel kills a infected grandma, tells Tommy to run people over and kills the guard at the end of ep1 with his bare fists.
The granda ma was in self defence or defence of another, the guard one was PTSD kicking in. Robert was on the ground, unarmed with a broken arm and not an immediate threat and was executed in cold blood.

The Tommy one could be excused as they were fleeing a life threatening situation but I think it's not as bad as killing someone who's been incapacitated.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Which undermines the point of the characters evolution.
Contrary to the game, it is not established at all that Joel, and specially Tess, are cold blood killers that don't give a damn about Ellie or anybody else. Here you have a Tess that didn't kill anybody, calls Ellie "sister" and gets paralyzed by infected. They forced a cringey feminist dialogue and ended up doing a total disservice to Tess as a strong female character. And this is not Anna Torv's fault in the slightest.
Lol muh feminism

Ulysses 31

Yeah, by Tess.
And she's a protagonist too and I suspect someone at HBO was worried it might turn people off seeing a protagonist execute someone like that in the beginning of the series. Tess shoots first (and kills?) too when a couple of Robert's thugs tells them to go back in the game.

It's just speculation on my part and maybe it's just a coincidence that the changes in the show removed all Tess' killings in episode 1.

Last edited:
And she's a protagonist too and I suspect someone at HBO was worried it might turn people off seeing a protagonist execute someone like that in the beginning of the series. Tess shoots first (and kills?) too when a couple of Robert's thugs tells them to go back in the game.

It's just speculation on my part and maybe it's just a coincidence that the changes in the show removed all Tess' killings in episode 1.

You don't watch HBO

taizuke

The doctor saying that there's no cure, and the same thing with the first doctor on Episode 1 didnt land right with me

The cool thing with the original ending is the duality. You dont know if Joel made the right call or not. Maybe they would have made a vaccine?

But the tv show is making Joel's decision obvious, and it will take something away from the ending.

Been thinking about this too. At first I didn't think much of it in the first episode with the guy saying "if this happens we loose". After all, it was just one episode and it let's the audience know how serious the infection would be.

But, in the 2nd episode a professor of Mycology's first response to the infection is "bomb everything"... I have to assume she considered all possibilities, even a cure and she is still saying there's no hope. I get that they may be trying to make the situation more "scary" but two experts without a shadow of a doubt saying it's over should this happen and that there's no cure and no vaccine that instead she rather spend her last moments with her family...

I get the feeling this is in place to make Joel's decision at the end easier to swallow (to those that haven't played the game) because anyone who says he
doomed humanity by saving Ellie can now refer to these two episodes and say it was always doomed from the start.

If ends up like this then I too think it will take away from the original ending but I'm optimistic there's a good reason for it so we'll see.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I get the feeling this is in place to make Joel's decision at the end easier to swallow (to those that haven't played the game) because anyone who says he
doomed humanity by saving Ellie can now refer to these two episodes and say it was always doomed from the start.

If ends up like this then I too think it will take away from the original ending but I'm optimistic there's a good reason for it so we'll see.
To be fair, TLOU2 discredits it too with the human on human violence overall being the bigger threat there than the infected.

Last edited:

Stooky

Since when has HBO been afraid to show violence?

skneogaf

Who will they cast as older Ellie?

The current person isn't going to look 5 years older for part 2 story both the Seattle part and the santa Barbara part where Ellie looks much older.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It really seems like they're giving more weight to both sides of the argument.

Throughout episode 2, Joel was waiting for Ellie to turn.

- He had a gun pointed at her as soon as she woke up.
- He didn't want Tess to talk about Ellie like she had a life in front of her.
- He was worried about Ellie turning again after she was bitten for a second time.
- Joel stares at her bite mark all the way to the Capitol building.
- Joel was ready to shoot Tess when he found out she was infected.

Joel never showed this fear toward Ellie in the game. He's obviously going to become convinced in later episodes, which they expanded on compared to the game.

In the game, Ellie and Joel are in the subway station and Joel watches Ellie breathe in spores for the first time.

Joel - "How the hell are you breathin' in this stuff?"
Ellie - "I wasn't lying to you."

This is likely when Joel believed Ellie was immune and the cure was possible because he talked about this exact moment to Tommy.

Joel - "She's immune."
Tommy - "Immune to what? Oh, c'mon."
Joel - "See, I know. I've seen her breathe enough spores to take down a dozen men and nothing. I wouldn't have believed it neither, but I can show you."

This is to show us that Joel becomes convinced that this IS the cure.

The important part here is what Tess told Joel before she died.

Tess was convinced that this is the cure and she wanted him to do right for "all the shit we did."
Tess - "This is your chance. You get her there, you keep her alive, and you set everything right. All the shit we did."

However, this leans towards Joel's decision to take Ellie.

Tess - "Save who you can save."

If Joel believed humanity was already doomed, then he wouldn't risk his life to bring Ellie to the Fireflies. That would be a plothole. Joel's decision always came down to protecting Ellie, and he knew she would go back if he told her the truth.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Who will they cast as older Ellie?

The current person isn't going to look 5 years older for part 2 story both the Seattle part and the santa Barbara part where Ellie looks much older.
Bella Ramsey. who even knows if the story will be the same as the game. it might go a different route.

Make up, effects, CG can do wonders. it will be fine

Raonak

Banned
Great episode 2. Clickers were well done, and I loved how they stuck to the same key locations as in the games.

I'm still shocked how good the series is at sticking to the game. Probably one of the more "accurate" adaptions i've seen so far.
The costumes and sets are perfect, the dialog and characters are so inline with the games in terms of acting.
They do add and remove parts, but overall it feels like TLOU.

The connected infected is new, but I kinda like the change, makes them more interesting than standard zombies.

Last edited:
As someone who enjoyed both games, I am thoroughly enjoying the HBO series. I went in like I do with any book-to-movie or game-to-movie adaptation... enjoying it for what it is. I've done this with Doom, Uncharted, Ender's Game, Ready Player One, Dune etc. Are they note for note like the book/game? Of course not, how can you expect it to be? It's a different format with different ppl creating it. Ppl who make TV/Movies now their medium the same way ppl who make video games know their medium.

Enjoy the series for what it is, it's own spin on a damn good video game. Leave your expectations and your prejudice at the door and I guarantee you'll enjoy it! The show does such a great job of building suspense, love all the back story they've built so far. It's been a great complement to the video games, so far.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Strawman, I speculated about seeing a protagonist killing someone who wasn't a threat anymore in cold blood early in the series might be off putting to viewers, not that the TV show is afraid to show violence.
Does Tess even kill anyone in the show?

She was killing people left and right in the game. Even Ellie was like i thought we were just going to handcuff the people who found them crossing the QZ.

Both Joel and Tess are portrayed as essentially ruthless murderers in the game. Its a bizarre choice to not show that.

Stooky

Strawman, I speculated about seeing a protagonist killing someone who wasn't a threat anymore in cold blood early in the series might be off putting to viewers, not that the TV show is afraid to show violence.
They should a chick with her ear blown off, a guy mauled to death, and guy with a back of his head blown off. We’re only 2 episodes in. What the fuck are you talking about? You mad because they didn’t spend more time with a character that basically a tutorial mission in the game?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Does Tess even kill anyone in the show?
Haven't watched ep 2 yet, just read about it but I think the only killing she does so far is at the end of ep2. Maybe we'll also see some in flashbacks.
She was killing people left and right in the game. Even Ellie was like i thought we were just going to handcuff the people who found them crossing the QZ.

Both Joel and Tess are portrayed as essentially ruthless murderers in the game. Its a bizarre choice to not show that.
Maybe some HBO suits think viewers not as hardened as gamers and thought it was too early to see Tess/Joel do something that "cold". That's what I suspect anyway. 👀
They should a chick with her ear blown off, a guy mauled to death, and guy with a back of his head blown off. We’re only 2 episodes in. What the fuck are you talking about?
You don't seem to grasp my point that TV shows generally depend on interesting protagonists (and good writing)to keep viewers engaged, so if some HBO suit thinks that having protagonists doing cold blooded killings during the first ep of the show when viewers are less likely to be invested enough in the characters, might turn viewers off that they'll drop the show and with such an expensive show they didn't want to risk that.

I believe streaming services can see where a viewer quits an episode or which segments are being rewatched.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
In the first episode we saw an infected turned into a harmless wall fungus. So it is safe to assume not all hosts are equal with their fungal process.

Yeah.

I haven't done much supplemental research, but it does seem to go on a time table. In so far as, if you tolerate the symbiosis and don't expire up to a point, then you'll "evolve," to the next stage. I *think* it's stated in one of the two games that when an infected feels it's host body is nearing the end of it's ability to move and function, it will hunker down in a dark spot and grow into the wall/floor of that area.

So I guess it's most likely by that information that most of the Clickers who survive to Joel and Ellie's journey time frame would probably be younger and more physically fit, whilst an older person or someone who had an impairment probably wouldn't tolerate the cordyceps as well and would be relegated to becoming a stationary fixture in a building or something, versus one of the active spreaders.

Top Bottom