• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

The fact this bet out House of the Dragon goe average viewers per episode is absolutely crazy.

Well deserved.

And this is only across the first six episodes for TLOU so chances are it will beat HOTD by more

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He’s in the right for him. Nobody else. Literally nobody.
The ones involved in facilitating Ellie's murder are not free of blame here. Joel is in the right to stop them too if they're in his way.
And doing it has consequences. Part 2 may have paced his punishment poorly, and not done enough to create empathy for those he fucked over… but he absolutely did fuck everybody else over for his own selfish desires.

I find this endless defence of Joel’s actions very weird. And it only started after game two came out.
How come there's no critique of how the Fireflies handled things here? Had they been more reasonable, there may not have been a bloodbath.

How is putting your own life at risk to stop a murder of a loved one purely selfish?

And it was wrong to separate Joel and Ellie the way they did and their plans to murder her, they have no grounds to act surprised/offended when someone pushes back to the way they do things.

Ellie never got told what the Fireflies pulled on Joel at the hospital(maybe the show will change that) and she built up years of bitterness and resentment based on incomplete information. Her reflection is questionable at best.
The biggest mistake they made was telling Joel the truth. Should have lied to him, its what I would have done -- but either way Joel is a piece of shit for what he did even if what they did was shitty as well.

Synless

I remember when people on this board used to say that video game writing is C-tier trash that wouldn’t cut it as a tv show let alone a movie… It was said multiple times specific to this game.

Tops HBO’s viewership by mostly non-gamers. Multiple episodes were almost 1:1 to the game.

Last edited:

RaduN

In a purely selfish respect, sure -- might makes right in the world of TLOU after all.

But to anyone not named Joel Miller it was the wrong thing to do. Even Ellie with years to reflect on it would have wanted him to just walk away.
Nah, there was absolutely no attempt to make the Firelflies appear as anything other than your basic dehumanised bad guys, and pretty retarded red neck types on top of that.

The point is that all those years of reflecting do not matter here. You can't make up some convenient rules and add them retroactively.
There is nothing, zip, zero in the story up to the hospital, that suggests Ellie has the slightest intention to sacrifice herself, and even more so, that Joel know about something like that.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The ones involved in facilitating Ellie's murder are not free of blame here. Joel is in the right to stop them too if they're in his way.

How come there's no critique of how the Fireflies handled things here? Had they been more reasonable, there may not have been a bloodbath.

She's literally the probably successful cure for a disease that's wiped out most of humanity. The choice is between her, and the rest of the world.

The Fireflies - mostly Marlene - fucked up by not realising how close Joel had become to Ellie... but that's it. Nobody else on Earth would have stopped the Fireflies from killing Ellie for the cure.

How could the Fireflies have been more reasonable? The cordyceps is in her brain. She had to die to allow them to access it.

Last edited:
She's literally the probably successful cure for a disease that's wiped out most of humanity. The choice is between her, and the rest of the world.

The Fireflies - mostly Marlene - fucked up by not realising how close Joel had become to Ellie... but that's it. Nobody else on Earth would have stopped the Fireflies from killing Ellie for the cure.

How could the Fireflies have been more reasonable? The cordyceps is in her brain. She had to die to allow them to access it.
Yeah but those guys pushed Joel, twice.

Eiknarf

Banned
Nah, there was absolutely no attempt to make the Firelflies appear as anything other than your basic dehumanised bad guys, and pretty retarded red neck types on top of that.

The point is that all those years of reflecting do not matter here. You can't make up some convenient rules and add them retroactively.
There is nothing, zip, zero in the story up to the hospital, that suggests Ellie has the slightest intention to sacrifice herself, and even more so, that Joel know about something like that.
Exactly. Ellie had no idea she was going to have to die for the vaccine. She was literally looking forward to taking guitar lessons and settling down in Tommy’s town after they “took some blood” or whatever she innocently thought.

A 14 year old isn’t an adult and can’t be making life altering decisions without the consent of an adult or guardian. Guess who her guardian was?

Joel

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Exactly. Ellie had no idea she was going to have to die for the vaccine. She was literally looking forward to taking guitar lessons and settling down in Tommy’s town after they “took some blood” or whatever she innocently thought.

A 14 year old isn’t an adult and can’t be making life altering decisions without the consent of an adult or guardian. Guess who her guardian was?

Joel

Everything that happens across the course of the story is designed to tell you that Ellie would have sacrificed herself. Stop trying to make Joel's actions seem reasonable. That's not what the game or the show is showing.

Bragr

Banned
If someone is bleeding from their neck, it's going to be easy for a small frail woman to push him against the wall or even take his weapon. lol

The same goes for a woman if she has a gun pointed at a guy's head.
There are several times when she muscles guys around. Let's just agree to disagree before we get banned for spamming.

Its a make believe videogame.
You say that, but if one of your favorite protagonists was switched out with something dumb, you would react too.

Eiknarf

Banned

Yeah. If Marlene wants to be the decision maker regarding Ellie’s life, then SHE should have trekked her across the country. But she asked Joel. And by doing so, Marlene took a risk. Maybe Joel and Ellie would live, maybe Joel and Ellie would die on their journey, maybe Joel would have no problem seeing Ellie die for the vaccine, maybe Joel will become attached to Ellie and not allow her to go through with it . That’s the risk. Marlene screwed up

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

After watching the latest Ant-Man movie, I think there's a chance that Abby could be the person who played Jentorra in Quantumania. She has the height, the build, and can act well enough.

Quantumania-Behind-the-Scenes-David-Dastmalchian.jpg

katy-obrian-as-jentorra-v0-laxyj4b7e2ja1.jpg
katy-obrian-as-jentorra-v0-ft5jsjc7e2ja1.jpg
She has the right build for sure, the problem is she's in her mid-30s while Abby is in her early-20s, even younger during the flashbacks and I don't think this chick can't pass for a 17-year old under any circumstances unless they give her the RDJ treatment with CGI to make her look a lot younger. Would probably be way too expensive though.
Shes already 19. Older than Ellie was in TLOU2.

She aint growing anymore. It's yet another dumb casting decision.
Depends on which moment in the game. During the Future Days part she was like 15. Right before Joel died she was 19 AFAIK, same age as Bella currently even though they're defiinitely not filming anymore while she's still 19. Then she was around 20 or 21 in Santa Barbara.

The final episode was perfect. I had to watch it again today because its so good. I was worried about the short runtime but I don't think they left anything important out.

What Joel did felt more wrong in the show than in the game in my opinion.
Because we were seeing his facial expression, or lack thereof. In the game, we play as him, we only see the back of his head. It's psychological.

Ulysses 31

The biggest mistake they made was telling Joel the truth. Should have lied to him, its what I would have done -- but either way Joel is a piece of shit for what he did even if what they did was shitty as well.
They shouldn't' have but I suspect that the writers didn't want to paint the Fireflies too much as the villains here(though IMO they failed that either way) .

The Fireflies don't have any evidence of anything they're achieved in finding a cure other than failures, why would it be different with Ellie without at least some tests and monitoring first before proceeding to kill their first and only special "specimen" so quickly? There's no ticking time bomb in the story that required the operation to happen so soon.
They could've laid out the situation to both Joel and Ellie and let her make the decision, maybe she could even talk Joel into accepting it and give them some time to tie up any loose ends first.

How is that not more reasonable than knocking someone out and forcefully separate them from a loved one? Threatening Joel with death when he wants to see Ellie again when the last time he saw her was unconscious and nearly drowned?

Of course it would've been problematic if Ellie refuses, if the Fireflies try to force the operation then it would totally make them look like the baddies here.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Yeah but those guys pushed Joel, twice.
Yup. That’s all they did. Excellent way of watering down the truth

It’s already been established that the fireflies did a lot more than “push Joel twice”. They manipulated, and threatened, and used physical violence, and took no time to even talk etc after a man traveled a thousand miles for em.

But that’s the thing with this story.

You’re not wrong for believing that Joel was in the wrong, and others aren’t wrong for believing Joel was in the right.

But Joel is not God, who has to sacrifice his only son for mankind. If Joel was God, then yeah, he’d sacrifice Ellie for all those clowns who don’t deserve it. He’s a smuggler who found one thing to care for.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
There is no debate, either you're a parent and get it or you're not a parent and don't get it.

Real world or not.

Im not a parent and I still agree with Joels actions. Humans interfear with nature to much and the way I see it is let it run irs corse and stop playing god. Im sure in a real world situation like that the chances are they still wouldnt be able to find a cure and she would be dead for nothing.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I remember when people on this board used to say that video game writing is C-tier trash that wouldn’t cut it as a tv show let alone a movie… It was said multiple times specific to this game.

Tops HBO’s viewership by mostly non-gamers. Multiple episodes were almost 1:1 to the game.

Took me AGES to get past Bill's Town in the game. I couldn't find Frank's asshole ANYWHERE.

Nah, I totally agree. Part I was masterclass, and all of the main beats witg Joel and Ellie may as well have been the original cutscenes with redubbed lines. It may not have lived up to some people's expectations, but it's easily a top tier adaptation

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Does anyone think the big ratings will alter their plans for season 2-3?

Pedro Pascal is the hottest TV actor in the world right now with Mando and TLOU. Can't imagine HBO higher ups would be thrilled about killing off Joel and potential ratings crash.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Pedro Pascal is the hottest TV actor in the world right now with Mando and TLOU. Can't imagine HBO higher ups would be thrilled about killing off Joel and potential ratings crash.
Here's the thing, that specific plot point is too big to change. I think they'll definitely try to delay the inevitable & maybe cover what Joel & Ellie were doing during the 5-year time gap between Part I & II.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Here's the thing, that specific plot point is too big to change. I think they'll definitely try to delay the inevitable & maybe cover what Joel & Ellie were doing during the 5-year time gap between Part I & II.
I think they're in a very difficult spot. This is one of the challenges in adapting incomplete work. If the game series was 100% completed, they could have an endpoint in mind that they're reaching. Without having that knowledge, any major plot change is much more tenuous.

They could delay doing that, but that would either have them make an entire season with just Joel and Ellie killing time with no overlying endgame to the season in mind. Season 1 was getting Ellie to her destination. What would season 2's be if they delay that? It would feel like an entire season of filler. Especially to game fans.

And if they decide to change the way in which it happens instead of delaying it, to make it more palatable, then that would change everything surrounding the plot as well. So either way, big changes are coming if they change that major plot point.

It would be a minor miracle for season 2 to be as good as season 1 all things considered.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I think it will be littered with Joel flashbacks to get a connection all the way through. Say Joel dies in Episode 1, he will be gone in episode 2 (to maximise his loss) and by the end of episode 3 I could see a Joel flashback and have flashbacks litter the rest of the series.

Also if the Fireflies were successful, who would take it? FEDRA? Raiders? It doesn't make sense that other groups would be willing to give up their way of life.

One of the main things with the game was we didn't know if Ellie had prior knowledge but refused to let Joel know. The series clarified she didn't so it makes the lack of obtaining consent to operate on Ellie worse. The Fireflies are fucking trash

BTW, Shannon Berry seems like a top choice for the role as Abby in season 2. She has personaly referenced Abby and Neil Druckmann follows her on social media.

iVVBhXd.png

Also if the Fireflies were successful, who would take it? FEDRA? Raiders? It doesn't make sense that other groups would be willing to give up their way of life.
Hopefully doesnt require a cold chain either and I'm sure everyone would easily run up to their local clinic to get it. The fireflies are indeed trash and so is this idea of finding a cure after all of this while killing a teenager for it.

The only mistake Joel did was to only kill them once.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Hopefully doesnt require a cold chain either and I'm sure everyone would easily run up to their local clinic to get it. The fireflies are indeed trash and so is this idea of finding a cure after all of this while killing a teenager for it.

The only mistake Joel did was to only kill them once.
The start of the show had an expert on the talk show who said we're fucked. We had a scientist say bomb the city once she heard a case existed.

No, no, Jerry the fucking vet will find a way. 😂

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Ellie was wholly unlikable in TLOU2. They ruined her character. They took the greatest thing about part 1 and absolutely destroyed it.

Essentially you could argue they killed off both Ellie and Joel because Ellie is no longer the Ellie we grew to adore in that game. Totally different character

Dorohedoro

Well that's that. Season 1 did a lot of things right and some things not so much. I think of it as a really good cheese pizza, satisfying but could use more flavor, which for the show would mean a few more infected/human fights, and not feel like they're speedrunning the last couple of episodes. It's a crime how we never got the hotel basement, that could've easily been one of the highlights of the season if done properly. As for episode 9 itself, it was great for the most part. The added dialogue about Joel's suicide attempt and his grief being healed by Ellie was moving and of course you can't have an adaptation of TLoU1 without the giraffes. I found the hospital rampage slightly disappointing because it looked a bit too, I don't know, PG-13 for my taste? I guess the games spoiled me with all the gore and whatnot but the show made it look like something out of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies which had notoriously shitty action scenes. Well at least it was there I suppose and it's better than just killing a couple of dudes + Marlene and the doctor and calling it a day like I kind of feared they would do.

Speaking of, I really appreciate how Merle Dandridge brought her A game with her acting skills unlike episode 1 where I was unimpressed by her and thought maybe they should have cast someone else. Ashley Johnson, like Troy Baker in the last episode, was decent with the little screentime she had. I'm not sure if this is really the guy they're going for with Jerry, it's possible that they still haven't found the right actor at the time of shooting and this was more of a placeholder if you will plus his face was pretty obscured anyway. They really needed another take for "You'll just come after her", the way Pedro delivered it sounded like he was reading the script for the first time, like what the hell was that? It was weak af compared to Troy Baker's stone-cold delivery.

Thankfully they didn't botch the acting in the last scene, and The Path playing as the credits started to roll was perfect. When it's all said and done the show doesn't touch the game in terms of overall quality. It was still a valiant attempt however and it has a good foundation, but there is plenty to improve upon for their TLoU2 adaptation which is gonna be a mammoth task. It seems that complaints were heard about the lack of action so that sounds promising. They don't have to overcompensate for it either but just give us more compared to what we got this season. They should have a bigger budget so that ought to help. Better direction for the action scenes would go a long way too because the few action scenes they gave us were rather mediocre apart from episode 5 where all hell broke loose and a bloater showed up.

Jimmy_liv

Joel
I like this take on it.

I always had empathy with both sides but there's no way I could let me kid die - not a fucking chance.

BaneIsPain

Overall TLOU is well-made series, but I still think it is missing a lot because of the runtime. oh well, I wonder why Part 2 can be made multiple seasons but not this? The game is far better imo. May a lot game adaptation as good as this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They shouldn't' have but I suspect that the writers didn't want to paint the Fireflies too much as the villains here(though IMO they failed that either way) .

The Fireflies don't have any evidence of anything they're achieved in finding a cure other than failures, why would it be different with Ellie without at least some tests and monitoring first before proceeding to kill their first and only special "specimen" so quickly? There's no ticking time bomb in the story that required the operation to happen so soon.

They could've laid out the situation to both Joel and Ellie and let her make the decision, maybe she could even talk Joel into accepting it and give them some time to tie up any loose ends first.

How is that not more reasonable than knocking someone out and forcefully separate them from a loved one? Threatening Joel with death when he wants to see Ellie again when the last time he saw her was unconscious and nearly drowned?

Of course it would've been problematic if Ellie refuses, if the Fireflies try to force the operation then it would totally make them look like the baddies here.

Both the game and the show establish that Ellie is the only and best hope for a cure. No ticking timebomb, but the sooner they have a cure to disseminate, the more people they can save, right?

And don't forget that Marlene has no idea that Joel and Ellie have bonded. As far as she was aware, Joel was a cold mercenary, who saw Ellie as cargo. No reason for her to suspect he'd see her as a de facto daughter. If she had known, she'd have told Joel a lie, or just killed him. Her mistake was not appreciating the change in their relationship... but that's pretty understandable. Frankly, once she realised he had an emotional connection to Ellie, she should have killed him there and then in the hospital room. That was her mistake.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Their big problem with what happens to Joel is that people are just going to think it's really cliched and derivative of both Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead. We've already had Pedro Pascal suffer a similar fate in an equally high profile HBO TV series, and what happens to Glenn is also very similar.

I'd imagine they'll certainly beef up the flashbacks, and stuff around Jackson at least.

Ellie was wholly unlikable in TLOU2. They ruined her character. They took the greatest thing about part 1 and absolutely destroyed it.

Essentially you could argue they killed off both Ellie and Joel because Ellie is no longer the Ellie we grew to adore in that game. Totally different character
Why would Ellie be exactly the same after all of the stuff she is going through?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Why would Ellie be exactly the same after all of the stuff she is going through?
You can have a character evolve while still being likable. Being different and unlikable don't have to be mutually exclusive. They turned a complex nuanced character into a one-track revenge-driven robot. For creators who were brilliant in Part 1, Ellie was your cookie cutter revenge-filled protag in Part 2. Bland and boring.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I saw a Youtube comment about TLOU2 one time that made me LOL. It was something like.

Joel: "Hi, I'm Steve and this is Bob."

/end credits.

It's sad because it's true.

Yeah. There's no real way of excusing that particular plot contrivance. There were clever ways they could have got Joel into the situation he finds himself in with Abbie. That was not it.

You can have a character evolve while still being likable. Being different and unlikable don't have to be mutually exclusive. They turned a complex nuanced character into a one-track revenge-driven robot. For creators who were brilliant in Part 1, Ellie was your cookie cutter revenge-filled protag in Part 2. Bland and boring.
Lol! This doesn’t make sense.

Ulysses 31

Both the game and the show establish that Ellie is the only and best hope for a cure. No ticking timebomb, but the sooner they have a cure to disseminate, the more people they can save, right?

And don't forget that Marlene has no idea that Joel and Ellie have bonded. As far as she was aware, Joel was a cold mercenary, who saw Ellie as cargo. No reason for her to suspect he'd see her as a de facto daughter. If she had known, she'd have told Joel a lie, or just killed him. Her mistake was not appreciating the change in their relationship... but that's pretty understandable. Frankly, once she realised he had an emotional connection to Ellie, she should have killed him there and then in the hospital room. That was her mistake.
TLOU2 seems to hint at that Marlene did suspect Joel cares about Ellie "He travelled across the country with her. He has a right to know(about the surgery).". So with that in mind it's weird she still informs Joel but then threatens him when he doesn't approve of killing Ellie. Then there's still the moral issue of not bothering to ask what Ellie wants. What I described earlier might've taken care of all that and make the Fireflies look less like thugs.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Every person in right mind can see there is no fucking way in apocalypse you can create vaccine, do tested trials and then distribute to all people to “save humanity”. This is big fucking task even for full functioning government, let alone small group of rebels.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
TLOU2 seems to hint at that Marlene did suspect Joel cares about Ellie "He travelled across the country with her. He has a right to know(about the surgery).". So with that in mind it's weird she still informs Joel but then threatens him when he doesn't approve of killing Ellie. Then there's still the moral issue of not bothering to ask what Ellie wants. What I described earlier might've taken care of all that and make the Fireflies look less like thugs.

I certainly think they are desperate, poorly trained and equipped, and not particularly well organised. But what they intend to do with Ellie is the right thing for them, and everybody else. Marlene also knows Ellie far better than Joel does, so I'm willing to accept the fact she knows Ellie would agree to be sacrificed - which is of course how Ellie is depicted in the game. And her moment of weakness is definitely in not killing Joel. That doomed all of them.

But then, the ending of The Last Of Us is deliberately written as a tragedy. A very good one. One where the central protagonist is motivated by his selfish love of his de facto daughter. He dooms everyone, but for understandable reasons to him. That's why I love the game and show so much. It's a perfect ending.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Every person in right mind can see there is no fucking way in apocalypse you can create vaccine, do tested trials and then distribute to all people to “save humanity”. This is big fucking task even for full functioning government, let alone small group of rebels.
Yes, all that requires suspension of disbelief. Not to mention the Fireflies being at war with Fedra would complicate that as well. They don't have the manpower to mass create and distribute a vaccine.

Top Bottom