• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO submits GoT finale, "The Iron Throne", for Best Writing at Emmys 2019

https://www.tvguide.com/news/hbo-game-of-thrones-emmys-submissions/

The season's most critically acclaimed episodes of the season, "Winterfell" and "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms," have been completely overlooked in the writing and directing categories in favor of the ones that led fans to petition en masse for a complete rewrite and sparked widespread belief that the show's finale may rank among the worst-ever TV conclusions.

Submitted for Best Directing for the season are Miguel Sapochnik for "The Long Night," David Nutter for "The Last of the Starks," and D.B. Weiss and David Benioff themselves for "The Iron Throne." And instead of suggesting Dave Hill and/or Bryan Cogman get a look for Best Writing for those well-received initial episodes of the season, Weiss and Benioff's script for "The Iron Throne" is the one they're apparently banking on for that category.

In less controversial news, in the Cinematography category, HBO has submitted Fabian Wagner for "The Long Night," David Franco for "The Last of the Starks," and Jonathan Freeman for the "Iron Throne." The penultimate episode, "The Bells," has meanwhile been put into contention for Art Direction, Visual Effects, and Costuming, and the Hair and Makeup category will take a look at "The Long Night." The show will also compete for Best Drama Series as well as the Main Title Design, Casting, Editing, Stunt Coordination, Music, and Sound Mixing categories. (There are also some extraneous Game of Thrones submissions, including Game of Thrones: The Last Watch for Documentary, that GoT-themed Bud Light Super Bowl ad for Commercial, and Game Of Thrones: Fight For The Living for Interactive Media.)

Dumb & Dumber, ladies and gentleman.

Last edited:

kbear

risitasv7jts.gif

Last edited:
As someone who has never seen a single episode, now I never want to, so that just cost them money. Now multiply me by everyone who feels that way, all because they apparently dragged their feet forever, and then tried to cram everything into whatever little time was left. I don't understand how TV shows can drop the ball so hard on something so important.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
You guys are being kinda harsh. These guys are professional writers, and I'm sure they know a lot more about the craft of writing than you do. They spent years of their lives making this show and the final episode is the culmination of all of this time honing their skills lololololol trolld you

kbear

As someone who has never seen a single episode, now I never want to, so that just cost them money. Now multiply me by everyone who feels that way, all because they apparently dragged their feet forever, and then tried to cram everything into whatever little time was left. I don't understand how TV shows can drop the ball so hard on something so important.

You should really consider watching the show. I envy you in a way... if I was in your shoes I’d take a week off work and binge all 8 seasons. Don’t deprive yourself of this due to some elitist nonsense.

Like ten years ago I spent a weekend watching the LotR trilogy for the first time, it was 2-3 days I’ll never forget — it felt like l was living in middle-earth, just absolutely immersed into the world. LegendofKage, that could be you for like a week or two straight if you binge GoT.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Hating GoT is quickly becoming the most tedious hobby adopted by a section of the Internet. Boring memes, unfunny forced lols etc.

Meanwhile back in the real world we get a series finale over ten years late, i.e. Deadwood, which was total & utter shit, with cringe misplaced Shakespearian dialogue with none of the self-awareness which made it work in the initial 3 seasons & a story which crapped all over the main characters (& even any semblance of historical authenticity). It was bad. Other stuff is bad as well. I wish GoT season 8 was the worst-thing-ever (that would mean the rest of TV's writing quality is all super-duper right?), but it really isn't.

Oh & special mention goes to the guys who use Emilia Clarke's press interview eyebrow reactions to season 8 as "evidence" of bad writing in the show. Yeah, coming from the girl who signed-up for Terminator Genesis, her opinion is disqualified.

Last edited:
It was bad. Other stuff is bad as well. I wish GoT season 8 was the worst-thing-ever (that would mean the rest of TV's writing quality is all super-duper right?), but it really isn't.

I don’t understand the logic here. If someone believes that GoT was “worst-thing-ever” (which I don’t think anyone in this thread actually said) how would that mean they think everything else on TV is good? People are only allowed to believe one thing can be terrible?

It’s cool if you didn’t hate the finale, and/or S8 in general. It’s also cool if people did hate it, or were disappointed by it. Being happy with the ending doesn’t make someone more of a fan, or a “better fan.” Being unhappy with it doesn’t make someone more of a fan, or a “better fan.”

Tolerance for differing opinions is a good thing.

My personal opinion is that while GoT is probably my favorite TV ever, and could have gone down as best show in history, the final season was a letdown and the finale was particularly underwhelming. The story, in general, ended feeling very unfulfilled with many dead ends.

But that’s just me.

I maintain that Seasons 1-4 are the best block of television I have ever seen.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I don’t understand the logic here. If someone believes that GoT was “worst-thing-ever” (which I don’t think anyone in this thread actually said) how would that mean they think everything else on TV is good? People are only allowed to believe one thing can be terrible?

It’s cool if you didn’t hate the finale, and/or S8 in general. It’s also cool if people did hate it, or were disappointed by it. Being happy with the ending doesn’t make someone more of a fan, or a “better fan.” Being unhappy with it doesn’t make someone more of a fan, or a “better fan.”

Tolerance for differing opinions is a good thing.

Let's be real here: replace the current ending with a one in which Daenerys "heroically" saves Kings Landing from a wildfire destruction created by Cersei, after which she "wins" the iron throne & smugly looks down on Westeros as she basks in her own magnificence. What would the result be? The absolute vast majority of freefolk reddit-esque GoT haters who seem to have made it their life purpose to eat, sleep & live "I hate GoT season 8" would in fact love the show. It would be their bestest best thing ever. They'd be the ones fighting against any critiques of the writing.

I simply don't buy most of the criticism of the writing from most people (not you specifically or anyone in this thread) because most of the complaints online come from biased Daenerys partisans who wanted their "queen" to win. That's all. GoT was the most partisan fanboy driven show in history where the outcome & end is judged by people based upon whether their favorite character got a happy end.

In terms of all the GoT seasons, I say objectively speaking season 5 is by far the shittest & most plot-holed pile of garbage (except Hardhome). It's really freaking bad & far worse than anything in season 8. But I didn't see the memes & lols flooding every thread back then.

Hating GoT is quickly becoming the most tedious hobby adopted by a section of the Internet. Boring memes, unfunny forced lols etc.

Meanwhile back in the real world we get a series finale over ten years late, i.e. Deadwood, which was total & utter shit, with cringe misplaced Shakespearian dialogue with none of the self-awareness which made it work in the initial 3 seasons & a story which crapped all over the main characters (& even any semblance of historical authenticity). It was bad. Other stuff is bad as well. I wish GoT season 8 was the worst-thing-ever (that would mean the rest of TV's writing quality is all super-duper right?), but it really isn't.

Oh & special mention goes to the guys who use Emilia Clarke's press interview eyebrow reactions to season 8 as "evidence" of bad writing in the show. Yeah, coming from the girl who signed-up for Terminator Genesis, her opinion is disqualified.
739124.jpg

Tesseract

Banned
babylon 5 seasons 2 and 3 still the best tv ever

the king of the hill remains king

HILL CONTROLLED

Last edited:

MoFuzz

Let's be real here: replace the current ending with a one in which Daenerys "heroically" saves Kings Landing from a wildfire destruction created by Cersei, after which she "wins" the iron throne & smugly looks down on Westeros as she basks in her own magnificence. What would the result be? The absolute vast majority of freefolk reddit-esque GoT haters who seem to have made it their life purpose to eat, sleep & live "I hate GoT season 8" would in fact love the show. It would be their bestest best thing ever. They'd be the ones fighting against any critiques of the writing.

I simply don't buy most of the criticism of the writing from most people (not you specifically or anyone in this thread) because most of the complaints online come from biased Daenerys partisans who wanted their "queen" to win. That's all. GoT was the most partisan fanboy driven show in history where the outcome & end is judged by people based upon whether their favorite character got a happy end.

In terms of all the GoT seasons, I say objectively speaking season 5 is by far the shittest & most plot-holed pile of garbage (except Hardhome). It's really freaking bad & far worse than anything in season 8. But I didn't see the memes & lols flooding every thread back then.
I see what you're saying, and I don't doubt that some of the backlash is political, since the strong female lead turns out to be power-hungry and corrupt by the end. The activist types are no doubt fuming over it. That said, I feel like it's rather difficult to make the generalization that most of the detractors out there dislike it because of the disservice to Daenerys. 1.6 million people signed a petition to remake the entire season, and a million of anything is a lot. If you read the comments on the petition page, most of them realize the writing is to blame, since it's noted on the heading of the document itself.

I agree with you that Season 5 was where the problems started becoming more glaring, but gave it a pass at the time, assuming that that many of the character arcs and plots were going to be further developed and ultimately resolved. At the very least, I thought it was somewhat redeemed by Season 6. The fact that we got a gigantic nothing-burger from D&D at the very end has undoubtedly fueled some of the rage, regardless of political affiliation. There's nothing worse than an audience having their time wasted by content creators. Chekov's Gun is a literary principle for a reason, and the sooner that we get back around to realizing the importance of setup and payoff as opposed to cheap shock value and unexpected twists, the better. I'll take somewhat predictable, but well executed stories over cheap parlour tricks any day of the week.

The other glaring problem with Season 8 as opposed to Season 5 is that at least characters by and large behaved like themselves. When you have Mad Dany murdering civilians, Jamie abandoning Brienne to run back to Cersei, Jon "I dun want et" Snow, Varys forgetting how to espionage and Tyrion making one piss-poor decision after another, then people are going to be rightfully pissed.

I haven't seen any of Deadwood, so I don't have a point of reference there, I'm afraid. GoT was undoubtedly one of, if not the most popular show in history though. It's cultural impact was huge for a TV show, Given the audience sample size, I realize that some of those views will be from a casual audience, but the show became the massive force that it was precisely because it appealed to both the Sci-Fi / Fantasy nerds, as well as the common folk. If nothing else, I'm hopeful that more people become more aware of, and start calling out bad writing, and that they will hopefully acknowledge the same garbage when employed in other properties, be it Marvel, Star Wars, or otherwise.

Kadayi

Banned
I'd say overall they'd be better to go with the 2nd episode. Still, it is what it is. Like ruvikx ruvikx I'm a little jaded with the endless bashing of the show, and unfortunately, JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered a lot of it is really OTT. Certainly, not a perfect conclusion to the series and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks they should have gone for either more episodes or extended events over 3 seasons after Season 6 rather than 2 to conclude matters and to keep things in line with the pace of previous seasons. However this idea that the season finale was one of the worst conclusions ever is just a reach. The final season of BSG makes Season 8 of GOT look like a masterpiece in comparison.

DKehoe

As Kadayi Kadayi said episode 2 should have been the one nominated. But episode 6 was written by Benioff and Weiss whereas 2 wasn't. So I wonder if that factored in.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I honestly feel that this is HBOs way of making sure D&D don’t win any awards for the shit show that was season 8. They nominated literally the worst episode of the show. They’re not blind. It’s a decision to appease the egos of the two biggest laughing stocks in the industry right now, while ensuring that they also cannot win. I look at this as a big “fuck you” to D&D.

Top Bottom