• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=1236&cs=1&p=0
HBO turns 'Fire' into fantasy series
Cabler acquires rights to Martin's 'Ice'
By MICHAEL FLEMING

George R.R. Martin series
HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire and Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff ("Troy") and Weiss ("Halo") and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes. Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

The author will co-exec produce the series along with Management 360's Guymon Casady and Created By's Vince Gerardis.

Martin's series has drawn comparisons to J.R.R. Tolkien, because both are period epics set in imagined lands. But Martin has eschewed Tolkien's good-vs.-evil theme in favor of flawed characters from seven noble families.

The book has a decidedly adult bent, with sex and violence comparable to series like "Rome" and "Deadwood."

"They tried for 50 years to make 'Lord of the Rings' as one movie before Peter Jackson found success making three," Martin said. "My books are bigger and more complicated, and would require 18 movies. Otherwise, you'd have to choose one or two characters."

Aside from writing the most recent draft of "Halo," Weiss recently adapted the William Gibson novel "Pattern Recognition" for WB and director Peter Weir.

Benioff and Weiss were repped by CAA and Management 360.
Wow. I hope this is well received and gets some real commitment. Don't pull a Carnivale on us.

Vaporak

Holy shit I can't believe they're trying this. :D If they don't screw this up this could be the best thing to happen to TV since color.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This is the greatest news ever!

CLANCY BROWN SHOULD PLAY TYWIN LANNISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got done listening to AFFC on my Ipod.

duckroll

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!

:D :D :D :D :D

Crow

I read the first two books and I'm still wondering what the big fuss over the series is. I can take books being slow paced (my favourite fantasy novels being Robert Jordans Wheel of Time), but so far all the events in the books have happened in the most boring way possible. It is a far cry to the epic I was led to believe it was. Additionally, the only likeable characters that didn't get killed off early, is Jon Snow and Arya Stark.

Tell me things get much more interesting in the third book.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
duckroll said:
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!

My thoughts exactly. I remember starting threads about how cool it would be if an HBO series of SOIAF was made, with a season per book.

Chairman Yang

Crow said:
I read the first two books and I'm still wondering what the big fuss over the series is. I can take books being slow paced (my favourite fantasy novels being Robert Jordans Wheel of Time), but so far all the events in the books have happened in the most boring way possible. It is a far cry to the epic I was led to believe it was. Additionally, the only likeable characters that didn't get killed off early, is Jon Snow and Arya Stark.

Tell me things get much more interesting in the third book.

I recommend you keep pushing through the third book. Way back in late 2000/early 2001, before the series was popular, I started reading it, and felt the same way as you. I mean, I liked the books, but I didn't see what was so special about them. I kept reading mostly because at that time I spent 1.5 hours on the subway every day and had these books on hand.

About halfway through the third book, the series just "clicked" in my head, and it's now my favourite fantasy series ever, by a big margin. I went back and re-read the books from the beginning, and I saw everything in a new light. Previously minor, throwaway characters assumed huge significance; innocuous passages became masterful instances of foreshadowing and cleverness; and events I previously didn't care much about became incredibly poignant now that I really *knew* the characters.

I completely understand how you feel, but keep reading--trust me on this one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
duckroll said:

QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Both Preacher and ASOIAF!?!?!

HBO am win and awesome.

Phthisis

Oh.

Oh my.

Oh my ****.

Oh my ****ing god.

HELL YEAH BITCHES

I just about shit my pants. This is the best news I've heard in months. Thank you GAF, thank you HBO, thank you GRRM. Best books I've ever read. This is unbe****inglievable.

Crow

Chairman Yang said:
I recommend you keep pushing through the third book. Way back in late 2000/early 2001, before the series was popular, I started reading it, and felt the same way as you. I mean, I liked the books, but I didn't see what was so special about them. I kept reading mostly because at that time I spent 1.5 hours on the subway every day and had these books on hand.

About halfway through the third book, the series just "clicked" in my head, and it's now my favourite fantasy series ever, by a big margin. I went back and re-read the books from the beginning, and I saw everything in a new light. Previously minor, throwaway characters assumed huge significance; innocuous passages became masterful instances of foreshadowing and cleverness; and events I previously didn't care much about became incredibly poignant now that I really *knew* the characters.

I completely understand how you feel, but keep reading--trust me on this one.

ok thanks. I'll get started on the third book.

Chairman Yang

So, any casting ideas? Peter Dinklage would be perfect for Tyrion:

peterdinklageasrichardiii.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
This news might the best ever. Now if he could just announce a release date for A Dance with Dragons I'd be crying with joy.

And this got the bad taste from hearing that Terry Goodkind got his shit series optioned for tv out of my mouth :D

Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO!
Seriously, it can't be said often enough.

Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO! Thank you HBO!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Chairman Yang said:
So, any casting ideas? Peter Dinklage would be perfect for Tyrion:

peterdinklageasrichardiii.jpg

He's about the only one I can think of at the moment. Might be kind old to play someone in their late 20's though.

Oh and Clancy Brown for Tywin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000317/

He's big, he's the right age, and he can be one intimidating sonofabitch. All they'd need to do is shave his head and give him some chops. Plus HBO owes him for cancelling Carnivale.

Chairman Yang

Brian Fellows said:
He's about the only one I can think of at the moment. Might be kind old to play someone in their late 20's though.

Oh and Clancy Brown for Tywin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000317/

He's big, he's the right age, and he can be one intimidating sonofabitch. All they'd need to do is shave his head and give him some chops. Plus HBO owes him for cancelling Carnivale.

Good choice. He could also work for the Hound.

Hmm...Max Pirkis (Octavian from HBO's Rome) could work as Joffrey, if he isn't too old by the time the series starts filming:

300gaiusgv1.jpg

basis

they making a tv-series when the actual novel series ain't done yet?

guess HBO knows where to put its investments.

Chairman Yang said:
There's no better fantasy series out there.

Steven Erikson's Malazan series is definitely better...probably the best fanatsy series ever in my own estimation

Anyway, Im a fan of SOFAI (well, Ihavent read Feast of crows, half a book dammit), but this is going to be some cheese me thinks, they need LOTR budget x3 to do justice to a series like this...I might check it but epic fantasy needs epic movie budget...

haha, Im still interested though

peace

edit: one book a series, a good idea I think. 7 book series finished by 2007? no. 18 movies for this series?no

Chairman Yang

nelsonroyale said:
Steven Erikson's Malazan series is definitely better...probably the best fanatsy series ever in my own estimation

I like the Malazan books a lot, but c'mon, Erikson falls short in many, many areas when compared to Martin. His characterization is comparatively weak, his writing style is overly dense and obfuscatory, he can't tie up plot threads nearly as well as Martin can, his dialogue is mediocre and sounds very samey from character to character, and his world (while certainly epic and interesting) lacks the gritty, realistic, immersive grounding that Martin brings to Westeros.

nelsonroyale said:
Anyway, Im a fan of SOFAI (well, Ihavent read Feast of crows, half a book dammit), but this is going to be some cheese me thinks, they need LOTR budget x3 to do justice to a series like this...I might check it but epic fantasy needs epic movie budget...

haha, Im still interested though

peace

edit: one book a series, a good idea I think. 7 book series finished by 2007? no. 18 movies for this series?no

Eh, I'm not to worried about the budget. Most of the books are dialogue scenes, with little in the way of flashy hordes of orcs or magical fireballs. If HBO could do Rome (which needed a huge attention to detail for sets and costumes, something ASOIAF won't have to be as picky about), they can do Martin's series. Plus, they're filming in New Zealand, which'll be a lot cheaper.

Chairman Yang said:
I like the Malazan books a lot, but c'mon, Erikson falls short in many, many areas when compared to Martin. His characterization is comparatively weak, his writing style is overly dense and obfuscatory, he can't tie up plot threads nearly as well as Martin can, his dialogue is mediocre and sounds very samey from character to character, and his world (while certainly epic and interesting) lacks the gritty, realistic, immersive grounding that Martin brings to Westeros.

Eh, I'm not to worried about the budget. Most of the books are dialogue scenes, with little in the way of flashy hordes of orcs or magical fireballs. If HBO could do Rome (which needed a huge attention to detail for sets and costumes, something ASOIAF won't have to be as picky about), they can do Martin's series. Plus, they're filming in New Zealand, which'll be a lot cheaper.

completely disagree...Martin has began to drag with the series...like gantz he just seems to kill alot of the 'good' characters to create an emotional impact...erikson is much better crafted for me when characters are just killed off, a part of a huge war...characterisation? I find that Martin's characters are definitely more bland. Steven's work is also far more epic, in fact it pretty amazing the scale of the whole series. And the creativity of the series is definitely the series forte...the magic system is very detailed and complex, and the back story of the series is absolutely massive...Its a far darker series than a sword of fire and ice

I am a big fan of Martin's books, and I am sure I could get into a very detailed discussion about why I feel Steven's books are quite superior, but eh, Im at work. I do find it strange though that you think, martins characters have more depth, the series does have some very interesting characters (Arya, Dany, hound, snow, tyrion), but I wouldn't say they have depth> Also very strange if you think the westros world is more immersive, as a whole I find Steven Erikson's book more immersive... Most of the peeps I know who have read both, seem to prefer Erikson at this stage, and feel Feast of Crows wasnt all that great

Anyway, fair enough, just a divergence in opinion. I enjoy erikson because of his creativity, really after my own heart. Im a fan of both though

peace

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Let's not turn this into a Malazaon vs Asoiaf debacle. I've seen too many of those turn into giant flamefests :mad: Do a search over Asoiaf messege board or Malazan.

Suffice to say I love both authors and hold them at the top of my fantasy-list. Along with Scott Bakker, and perhaps Scott Lynch (only one stellar book so far, so time will tell).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Crazily enough I was just making a cast list at work one day a couple of weeks ago.....yeah I get really bored at work. Anyway I just found the list. I was just making it off the top of my head at work so it kinda sucks but here it is anyway.

Eddard - Sean Bean
You'd only need him for about 7 or 8 episodes
Catelyn - Kate Walsh (Addison on Grey's Anatomy)
Cersei - Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet on Lost)
Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
Littlefinger - Robert Knepper (Teabag on Prison Break)
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
The Mountain - The Big Show
Renly - Chris Evans
Margery - Michelle Trachtenberg
Theon - Jason Dohring (Logan on Veronica Mars)
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

syllogism

This reminded me to check Martin's Blog and found... this:

I do my writing on a completely different computer than the one I use for email and the internet, in part to guard against viruses, worms, and nightmares like this. My work machine does not even use Windows (which I loathe). I write with WordStar 4.0 on a pure DOS-based machine. Mock if you must... but WordStar and DOS are both stable as rocks, and never give me the sort of headaches I get from Windows. (I won't even talk about Microsoft Word, about which I have nothing printable to say).

Couldn't find a verified version 4.0 screenshot but it looks something like this:

wordstarks6.gif

JayDubya

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I've never read any of the books, but it will be fun to see HBO do fantasy.

Expect very low fantasy, especially early on. A Game of Thrones especially is a dark and gritty story that may as well be set in medieval Europe for the most part. Lots of swordplay, but a lot more wordplay and treachery. The world at one time was a high fantasy one with dragons and sorcerers and whatnot, and more of that is creeping back in as the story moves along.

In terms of casting, I'd bet they could get some fairly good people for the cast given how almost all the principles of the first book aren't around by the end of the third. :lol I do hope they get someone very solid for my absolute favorite character, the one that gets
Braveheart'd

Casting this should be interesting, as high mortality should ensure they get someone big (that they don't have to pay very long) for several key roles to hype up the series.

I'm really curious to see who they'll get for the Lannisters: Tywin, Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion. Hell, especially Tyrion. The Stark kids should be mostly unknowns, I'd imagine, though I obviously hope they'd get someone suitable for Eddard, Catelyn, and Jon. They're going to have to skew the kids older than they should if only for the obvious, that they'd get into a heap of trouble for having that much sex and violence involving underage actors. :lol

Keen said:
Let's not turn this into a Malazaon vs Asoiaf debacle. I've seen too many of those turn into giant flamefests :mad: Do a search over Asoiaf messege board or Malazan.

Suffice to say I love both authors and hold them at the top of my fantasy-list. Along with Scott Bakker, and perhaps Scott Lynch (only one stellar book so far, so time will tell).

yeah, your right

peace

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And here I was about to cancel HBO. Well I still might, just re-subscribe later. Awesome news. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Zalasta

Truthfully, I loved the first three, but for some reason I just could not get into Feast of Crows. Maybe because it's been so long since I read the series, but even from just the prologue, I didn't recognize any of the characters, and I was completely bored by it.

Solo

What happens when the show gets all the way up to the 4th book, and Martin still hasn't written/released the next one? Because you know that's gonna happen :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Zalasta said:
Truthfully, I loved the first three, but for some reason I just could not get into Feast of Crows. Maybe because it's been so long since I read the series, but even from just the prologue, I didn't recognize any of the characters, and I was completely bored by it.
correct me if I'm wrong, but the prologues for all of the books introduce (and often kill off) new characters.

ElyrionX

Solo said:
What happens when the show gets all the way up to the 4th book, and Martin still hasn't written/released the next one? Because you know that's gonna happen :lol

:lol

That's exactly what I thought.

I like Martin's works a lot but I prefer Erikson on the whole.

Limedust

I love the books, but I fear for this HBO series.

BTW, George R. R. Martin was a writer for the Beauty and the Beast TV series. The one with "Sarah Conner" in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom