• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit dude, that's a HUGE scoop. And you did the right thing by not posting it online.

Sounds great, and I like the additions; introducing Tyrion in a brothel is perfect

snaildog

Thanks for the scoop gutshot, and good on you for not leaking it. Sounds like these writers have nailed it: faithful to the story, but with small changes which make sense for an adaption and keep it interesting. They have described it as a 'labour of love', and it's awesome that we have such dedicated people behind it.

Ryck said:
Im loving the book so this news is exciting to me.

Damn I'll make sure to limit any spoilers of future books in this thread then if I haven't already. Nice to hear your enjoying it though, its fucking excellent.

Everything sounds good, although I do wonder about the change in ages of the characters. Mostly just Robb and Jon. At first you think of what they go through and wonder if the change was made to make it more appropriate for tv, but then you think of the ages of characters like Dany, Sansa and Arya and what they go through in pilot alone and the change makes less sense from that perspective.

funk0ar

Great work gutshot! I've been watching your blog closely.

Just out of interest what kind of traffic are you getting?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Script sounds awesome. I like that there is gonna be a little bit of new material here and there. It'll keep us on our toes. :D

gutshot

funk0ar said:
Great work gutshot! I've been watching your blog closely.

Just out of interest what kind of traffic are you getting?

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the blog. It has been a lot of fun watching it grow. I'm averaging close to 2,000 hits a day now. Around 1,500 unique visitors.

Ryck

Dark FaZe said:
Damn I'll make sure to limit any spoilers of future books in this thread then if I haven't already. Nice to hear your enjoying it though, its fucking excellent.
No problems so far, yes the book is very very good.

Stopsign said:
How far in the series are you?
Im barely about a quarter maybe a bit more through Game of Thrones and Im loving it. ( Eddard is investigating the previous Hand's death and has realized he is being watched)

methodman

Banned
Great work on that blog Gutshot, I've been reading it since the first day you put the link up here. Thanks for the episode Review.

Did they go into how the characters look, and what they're wearing in the script?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Scribble said:
Are they?

I always pictured Jon as a pretty boy. Rob not as much. Though I suppose the fact that Rob looks more like a Tully than a horsefaced Stark means he's pretty good looking kid too. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Brian Fellows said:
I always pictured Jon as a pretty boy. Rob not as much. Though I suppose the fact that Rob looks more like a Tully than a horsefaced Stark means he's pretty good looking kid too. :D

I always thought it the other way. Well maybe Jon was handsome, in a cold way

Flynn

HK-47 said:
I always thought it the other way. Well maybe Jon was handsome, in a cold way

Isn't there some bit about Jon supposedly looking like the mistress -- maybe in one of the Caitlan chapters?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Flynn said:
Isn't there some bit about Jon supposedly looking like the mistress -- maybe in one of the Caitlan chapters?

Possibly. I know I remember him being described as look very much like his father. Dark hair, face cut like a statue, cold and stern.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Flynn said:

Catelyn is right in a way. He does look like his mom and she was someones mistress. Lucky thing too. Had he ended up looking like his daddy he'd probably be dead. :D

Clipjoint

Well seeing as Jon Snow is most probably the
son of Rhaegar and Lyanna
it would make sense for him to be a good looking kid.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
They made it very clear in the books that Jon took on the qualities of a stark and all of the children between Cat and Ned turned out looking like Tully's. This is a fact that ate away at Cat.

oxrock said:
They made it very clear in the books that Jon took on the qualities of a stark and all of the children between Cat and Ned turned out looking like Tully's. This is a fact that ate away at Cat.

Yep. Of all the Stark children, it is Jon who most looked like his father, which really ate at Cat.

Nore

Banned
Outdoor Miner said:
Yep. Of all the Stark children, it is Jon who most looked like his father, which really ate at Cat.

Yes...but Jon looks like a Stark, which could include Ned's brother, Brandon.

oxrock said:

Well all except Arya. Ned says that Arya looks just like his sister.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
oxrock said:
Actually, Arya also looks like a Stark instead of a Tully. Which seems to be part of the reason why John got along very well with her. Which is kinda funny because It really never seemed like Cat showed much favor towards Arya also.

The post above pretty much mentions about all you need to say:lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ok, I'm almost done with the first book (well, I guess that's relative I have about 100 pages to go).. and I'm pissed.

They just slaughtered everyone in the Kings Hand keep, Eddard is either dead or in jail, Sansa is a fucking bitch and turning on her family...

I have to say, they "bad guys" are so completely unlikable in this book, while steal being "real". that is to say, they aren't even for the sake of being evil.. they seem human. I just want to watch them all die is all.

Except for the imp. I haven't heard from him in a while, but he seems somewhat affable. ANyway, off to continue reading.

StoOgE said:
Ok, I'm almost done with the first book (well, I guess that's relative I have about 100 pages to go).. and I'm pissed.

They just slaughtered everyone in the Kings Hand keep, Eddard is either dead or in jail, Sansa is a fucking bitch and turning on her family...

I have to say, they "bad guys" are so completely unlikable in this book, while steal being "real". that is to say, they aren't even for the sake of being evil.. they seem human. I just want to watch them all die is all.

Except for the imp. I haven't heard from him in a while, but he seems somewhat affable. ANyway, off to continue reading.

The one thing I really like about the series is that it never really lets up
well except for A Feast for Crows which seems like a breather after the awesomeness of a Storm of Swords

Keep going the books only get better and there are so many more "holy shit!" moments ahead.

Link Man

Banned
Well, I finished A Game of Thrones, and a couple things:

-The final chapter of this book was incredible, but I get the feeling that I'm really only interested in Daenerys' story. I hope that I can get into the books more, but I'd like to see more stuff like that chapter, and would like to know if there is any incentive to keep me reading.

-I was a little annoyed by the heavy-handedness of mentioning the "game of thrones" so much. Also, I never want to hear the word "mummer" again.

I started A Clash of Kings, but am having trouble getting into it. I'm stuck in the Prologue right now.

StoOgE

Link Man said:

-The final chapter of this book was incredible, but I get the feeling that I'm really only interested in Daenerys' story. I hope that I can get into the books more, but I'd like to see more stuff like that chapter, and would like to know if there is any incentive to keep me reading.

-I was a little annoyed by the heavy-handedness of mentioning the "game of thrones" so much. Also, I never want to hear the word "mummer" again.

I started A Clash of Kings, but am having trouble getting into it. I'm stuck in the Prologue right now.

I'm a little behind you, but I honestly like most of the stories so far.

Danny's is a nice change of pace, and I know it will become important at some point, but right now it's a side story.

I don't like Sansa's chapters because I can't stand her. I also don't like Bran's chapters much. I like his character, but both he and Sansa's stories are written from a childs perspective so you lose alot of detail. They hint at stuff that you have to try and decipher.

I'm also a bit annoyed that the series was written as an epic. It is becoming increasingly clear that there isn't a true story arch that will end in this book.

deadbeef

Link Man said:

Oh man, just keep going. Keep reading! Danny's stuff gets even better and the whole story just picks up.

Shirokun

Link Man said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm only 200 pages into Clash of Kings, and loving it, though I feel like things are warming up for something much bigger. My favorite characters continue to be Tyrion and Dany with Arya as a close third, but I'm lukewarm on some of the others. Hopefully the quality keeps up as some say.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Link Man said:

Keep at it! Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords are both great. Martin really does some wild stuff with the various story lines as the books go on. A Storm of Swords, in particular, has some real "holy shit!" moments. Martin really keeps the story cooking along.

If you liked A Game of Thrones enough to finish it, I think you'll like the later books in the series. Books 2 and 3 are stronger than #1, in my opinion. A Feast for Crows is a little weak, but it's missing half the characters.

I'm getting ready to re-read the entire series for the third time - maybe the next book will actually be out by then. :(

StoOgE said:

:lol!!! One of the great things about A Song of Ice and Fire is that good people are good and you root for them, cursing x person, then all of a sudden your cursing the people that were good before in your eyes because of one reason or another. Simply put no one is completely innocent other than a few characters, and even the innocent people make decisions that likely hurt another character in some way.

Link Man said:

Wow, I'm somewhat the opposite. Daenerys' chapters were some of the only "down" chapters for me in the series because she was so disconnected from some of the drama and setting that pretty much everyone is involved with. Also keep going with a Clash of Kings. It starts off slow, but it really starts to catch a rhythm in the middle and keeps that level of quality all the way through a Storm of Swords.

I became so into these books that there were times in a Clash of Kings and even in a Storm of Swords that I'd literally peek ahead to see if a certain persons chapter was coming up because those chapters were basically sex.

StoOgE

Dark FaZe said:
I became so into these books that there were times in a Clash of Kings and even in a Storm of Swords that I'd literally peek ahead to see if a certain persons chapter was coming up because those chapters were basically sex.

I do that too. I will be reading an Eddard chapter, and then something big will happen. Then I'll have a Jon chapter, and I'll be like "Fuck, I dont want a John chapter". Then I will read that and it will blow my mind and then I'll have a Cat chapter, and I'll be all "fuck, I want more of Jon!

The only chapters that I never want more of are Bran, Danny and Sansa. Both have been pretty boring. Bran is a good character, Sansa I can't stand (somewhat on purpose). I like Danny and her story, but it's so disconnected from everything else its almost like the story gets paused for a chapter than resumes.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Dark FaZe said:
Wow, I'm somewhat the opposite. Daenerys' chapters were some of the only "down" chapters for me in the series because she was so disconnected from some of the drama and setting that pretty much everyone is involved with. Also keep going with a Clash of Kings. It starts off slow, but it really starts to catch a rhythm in the middle and keeps that level of quality all the way through a Storm of Swords.

Yeah she's easily my least favorite POV through the first two books.

StoOgE

So excitied for this, I am caught up on the books now so I'm in the same waiting pattern as the rest of you.

It's going to be hard for me since I just read roughly 4000 pages of the series in 2 months to go cold turkey like this.

Also, now that I have finished....

Cersei is a dumb bitch, I hope she is dead :lol

Either Tyrion (and Varys) or Littlefinger controls the Sept of baelor right now. The constant outwitting of cersei to build an army and then imprison her reaks of one of those two

Also, the Lannisters setting up Robb with his wife in order to break up the Frey's alliance was COLD BLOODED. Really nicely done how they just hint around what really happened but leave you enough clues to figure it out.

Robbs wife mentioning that her mom is giving her potions to make her fertile. Then later when Jamie is talking to her she says she "made sure" Robb didn't have an heir.

What sucks is even when the new book comes out, I'm still not going to know what happens to Cersei, etc. until the book after that.

Phthisis

I was at a function tonight and got a chance to talk to the President of HBO Programming for a bit. I expressed my delight at them ordering a pilot, and we chatted for a bit.

He confirmed the Ireland filming location for later this year, and he said that the script Benioff wrote is absolutely amazing. He also said that it's important for them to really focus on the characters and make sure their performance comes out because he said he doesn't look at A Game of Thrones as a special effects event but rather as a really intense character story. He mentioned that after the script was passed around, everyone at the office went and picked up the books and they're all hooked, so that bodes well. He said it's a super expensive pilot, and it's risky in the sense that if it doesn't get made in the right way, it won't be as good as potential allows it to be.

Anyway, just an update for you.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Phthisis said:
I was at a function tonight and got a chance to talk to the President of HBO Programming for a bit. I expressed my delight at them ordering a pilot, and we chatted for a bit.

He confirmed the Ireland filming location for later this year, and he said that the script Benioff wrote is absolutely amazing. He also said that it's important for them to really focus on the characters and make sure their performance comes out because he said he doesn't look at A Game of Thrones as a special effects event but rather as a really intense character story. He mentioned that after the script was passed around, everyone at the office went and picked up the books and they're all hooked, so that bodes well. He said it's a super expensive pilot, and it's risky in the sense that if it doesn't get made in the right way, it won't be as good as potential allows it to be.

Anyway, just an update for you.

<333333333333333333333333333333

Hopefully its a true labor of love. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

snaildog

I really like Sansa's chapters, because they're mostly in King's Landing around other awesome characters (The Hound, Joffrey, Cersei, Littlefinger). Don't know why everyone has such a problem with her, she grew up a lot after the first book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom