• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR- Let's Talk!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
HDR is great*

*When implemented properly. Sadly, this seems like the exception at this point.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah I’m one of the few who doesn’t see much of a huge difference with HDR, and I work with it often. I think if we had some sort of standard, it would be so much better. This is worse than HD-DVD haha!

truth411

OLEDS get blindingly bright for any normal eyeball. Mix that with the perfect blacks and HDR is superior than any LCD. A few Google searches and you can confirm this. The idea that LCD has an HDR advantage over OLED is just fake news from the QLED camp.

It's not fake news, you at least want 1000nits for HDR, which no OLED TV at the moment can do.
But don't get me wrong OLED>LCD as a whole image quality wise.

Toe-Knee

It's not fake news, you at least want 1000nits for HDR, which no OLED TV at the moment can do.
But don't get me wrong OLED>LCD as a whole image quality wise.
But it's offset by the fact that lcds can't get anywhere near as dark as oled so the total range is actual quite similar contrast wise.

Hence why 600nit oleds can carry the uhd premium badge but a 900nit lcd can't add it doesn't have the required range from dark to light

Toe-Knee

Just ordered a xf9005 how many nitts is is it ? can't wait for it to come.
I think it's just short of 1000 but it's something you really shouldn't get hung up on. Actual overall picture quality makes a far bigger difference which the triluminos display has you covered on.

Enjoy the TV!

Whitecrow

Banned
You can make a strong argument for "it doesn't look better. it just looks different" even.

Aesthetically, I can totally understand not liking the look. Resolution and refresh rate are objective goods. HDR really isn't.
That's totally false.

By that logic, a 2 bit pong game just looks 'different' than current gen games.

Do you even understand what HDR is or means?

Dibils2k

Frankly I can't even tell when it's on or off, I probably need a side by side. RDR2 looks better with it off.

Is there a good game that you can toggle on/off in the menu, maybe GoW?

Me too. 4k is a waste of pixels - it takes too much hardware to render and too little payoff in image quality, especially for people who sit on a couch across the room.
i dont get this argument, 4K looks incredible

1440p still looks too soft on 4K TV, maybe if you compared a native 1440p TV against a 4k TV it would be closer, but on a 4K tv anything below 1800p just looks like 1080p

Inviusx

I think it's subjective, low light room + HDR can cause crazy eye strain after awhile. The brightness is a bit much

Pac3y

Does anyone obsesse with HDR settings in games so much, that you play with the toggles more than the games? Or I it just me.

Problem I find is that every game looks different due to implementation, settings. I spend forever finding what I like.

Whitecrow

Banned
Does anyone obsesse with HDR settings in games so much, that you play with the toggles more than the games? Or I it just me.

Problem I find is that every game looks different due to implementation, settings. I spend forever finding what I like.
You are not alone.
I did it even with SDR when I first got into calibration.

The sad part is that like it's been said, HDR implementation is not following standards yet, so it may vary for each game : (

Only somewhat on topic; is here anyone who switched from high tier plasma TV to a modern HDR compatible TV? If yes, how big is the impact for you?
I am asking because I read a lot about this and in general ppl say that plasma TV's color range was/is kinda close to what a HDR can produce.

deathsaber

HDR is such a mixed bag. Its really all about the implementation I guess.

I've seen mind-blowingly awesome stuff - Horizon, Spiderman, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Assassins Creed Origins

and I've seen "meh, is this even doing anything! - (Monster Hunter World, CoD: BO4, and the handful of features films I streamed, where I didn't feel like I got anything beyond standard 1080p Blu Ray performance)

A.Romero

HDR is such a mixed bag. Its really all about the implementation I guess.

I've seen mind-blowingly awesome stuff - Horizon, Spiderman, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Assassins Creed Origins

and I've seen "meh, is this even doing anything! - (Monster Hunter World, CoD: BO4, and the handful of features films I streamed, where I didn't feel like I got anything beyond standard 1080p Blu Ray performance)

It is totally up to the implementation (and the quality of the TV, of course).

If you get a chance, try God of War. IMO is one of the best showcases of HDR available today.

some of these posts in here...

hdr and 4k are positives every way you look at it

implementing it is a totally different ball game

Wwg1wga

Hey Gaffers.

As some of you know I recently got myself a One X and a Pro to go along with my brand new 4k TV.

So as you can imagine the world of High Dynamic Range is brand new to me.

I have some initial impressions, as well as some questions.

First, the good.

It looks amazing. I just bought God of War today. Good GOD it's beautiful. When Kratos is chopping that tree at the beginning it's breathtaking.
Also the framerate seems (for the most part anyway) really smooth. I've toggled HDR off and on and this is part of that.

But I have some interesting observations which dovetail with my questions.

First of all, the framerate is inconsistent. Very. It's like enabling HDR improves the framerate but there are constant skips in it. Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the framerates of scrolling will be smooth, 60 fps say, but there are objects or characters that will not. It is a jarring visual experience and it's weird. I don't know if I like it. This is particularly observable in Final Fantasy XV.

Does anyone know what I mean?

Finally, when I enable HDR, the "tone" of the colors is always warmer. This isn't a huge deal but I personally always prefer a cooler tint.

My question therefore is this:
What is the comprehensive list of things one enjoys with HDR, and is there a way to enable select benefits?
True HDR >= 1000 nits
"Fake" HDR < 1000 nits

AnotherOne

My HDR experiences have been a mixed bag after owning a sony x900e and a LG b7.

It really comes down to the games and how HDR is implemented for example monster hunter world has really bad HDR and no tv in this world can fix that.. same goes for Red dead 2.

On the other side of the spectrum you have games like assassins creed origins or gears 4 where HDR makes a noticeable difference in PQ over SDR.
At the end of the day its hit or miss and have to go by game to game basis which sort of frustrates me because I'm forced to switch between SDR to HDR in games to see if I like either version better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ok boys I don’t know how to tell you this so I’m just going to blurt it out. I have some advice the other day about upgrading to the new firmware for LG TVs and using pc mode to get around the dark hdr issue... well...

FUCK ME THEY JUST RELEASED YET ANORHER FIRMWARE UPDATE AND KT ACTUALY REMOVES THE DARK HDR IN GAME MODE AS WELL.

Yes you read that right... LG OLED TVs like the B7/C7 now render game mode WITHOUT the dull dark colours.

Update asap to firmware 5.80.10 (I had to use usb stick to do it as no over the air yet).

Do it.

Do it now.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I think based on settings, it may still not be as good as pc modes new updates that fixed all the colour profile. But yeah, I’m gonna do some more tests, but everybody is saying yeah, it’s fixed.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I don’t have a high end HDR Tv but movies look really good and games look meh, I find I have to do too much adjusting for each game

So I’ve tried the latest update and errrm it still looks the same in game mode🤦🏻‍♂️ Unless it fixes input lag in the standard and vivid hdr modes ?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Check the other thread. Turns out that game mode is only just a bit better, but there is an update for pc mode that makes the colour work correctly and doesn’t dim at all in hdr.

Top Bottom