• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Head of Xbox Live leaves Microsoft

Shin

Banned
Underrated person and probably did just as much as some people that get more spotlight today as they did back then.
Despite Dreamcast and PS2 having network capabilities I'm under the impression that things and only took off after Live launched.
In short console online gaming is where it is today because of this guy and his team, 15 years is a long time and all things must come to an end.

ksdixon

Underrated person and probably did just as much as some people that get more spotlight today as they did back then.
Despite Dreamcast and PS2 having network capabilities I'm under the impression that things and only took off after Live launched.
In short console online gaming is where it is today because of this guy and his team, 15 years is a long time and all things must come to an end.

oh please. SEGA was pushing online play with the DreamCast in the dialup modem era (well, even pushing into it before that with things like NetLink and SEGA Channel, but those weren't really the exact same thing). If they'd have survived a couple of more years with a DreamCast 2, said DC2 would have had broadband online play (Xbox Live), a DVD player (PS2), and a wider range of accessories like the fishing rod, and their beta of a DC motion control controls (Wii).

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
oh please. SEGA was pushing online play with the DreamCast in the dialup modem era (well, even pushing into it before that with things like NetLink and SEGA Channel, but those weren't really the exact same thing). If they'd have survived a couple of more years with a DreamCast 2, said DC2 would have had broadband online play (Xbox Live), a DVD player (PS2), and a wider range of accessories like the fishing rod, and their beta of a DC motion control controls (Wii).
But it actually took off with Xbox. The first widely popular console online game is Halo 2. And yes, I know PSO is a thing.

And it would've been fucking glorious.

ksdixon

But it actually took off with Xbox. The first widely popular console online game is Halo 2. And yes, I know PSO is a thing.

That doesn't mean Xbox or this guy deserves credit for online play becoming widespread. It's incredibly easy to come along and pick-up someone else's work.

Especially considering the wider situation that MS basically knifed SEGA in the back and stepped-over their corpse to get into the gaming industry.

ksdixon

Ah the first one has arrived.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

ksdixon

Report and move on. Thats all he's here for, baiting.

Nothing to report. Just a thing that keeps coming-up lately that xbox fans cling to about online play being 'their thing', whilst ignoring the groundwork laid by Sega. There's no need to be willfully ignorant of gaming history to try to make misguided points.

Now... If you want something that's actually an xbox talking point that's worthy of rallying behind, then GamePass paired with Backwards Compatability; those two services/features working together hand in hand, propping each other's value up? Go right ahead, I'll be right there with you.

Flintty

But they didn’t, and we will never know. Big Dreamcast fan here but you can’t deny the success of this guy and XBL based on a ‘what if’. Sorry.

Kokoloko85

I prefer the free to play model.
He might not of created online play but xbox did a great job of live and its one of the things that made the 360 so successful. Everyone played catch up after

Some weird history going on here.

Xbox was made as a successor to the Dream cast because J allard and Co loved the DC so much, they even helped build the OS for the DC. It used to say "powered by windows" right on the front of it.

Sega pioneered online console gaming with PSO and when the Xbox rolled around they built upon that.

Remember, 15 years ago the 360 launched with the demand that every game HAD to have online multiplayer capabilities.

This caused Epic to rush and slap together a multiplayer mode for Gears of War, which only took 1 month to build.

Just as Ozzy founded heavy metal and Jimmy hendrix shredded guitars, they have both been surpassed by those 'better' than them. Though the bar would have never been raised without either. So too Sega started the ball rolling and Microsoft perfected it.

Last edited:

Aion002

Wow.... Xbox Live is great. For being there for 15 years this guy must be extremely competent, whatever the place he end ups going he will definetly be a great asset!

Some weird history going on here.

Xbox was made as a successor to the Dream cast because J allard and Co loved the DC so much, they even helped build the OS for the DC. It used to say "powered by windows" right on the front of it.

Sega pioneered online console gaming with PSO and when the Xbox rolled around they built upon that.

Remember, 15 years ago the 360 launched with the demand that every game HAD to have online multiplayer capabilities.

This caused Epic to rush and slap together a multiplayer mode for Gears of War, which only took 1 month

Just merely at a whopping $599!

cormack12

Gold Member
Very interested to see where he ends up

Stadia have been acquiring staff with track records over the last year - could be there.

LIVE isn't going anywhere and while I give all the credit in the world to what SEGA did with the DC and online ., LIVE was a masterclass in console online gaming and was taken the next level with the 360 and full of neat touches like being able to see what games your friends are playing, notifications when they log in Ect. What people take for granted now, but on the launch of the 360 there was nothing else like it

Everyone who is not a microsoft shareholder will think the same.

Paying for multyplayer on console was one of the many reason who pushed me back to play most titles on pc.
I used to agree, but if we compare Live, paid for vs psn, free, the differences are night and day.

I know PC is free to play online but in hindsight and retrospect, Microsoft made Live worth the money. I don't know any gamer today that didn't have a blast playing either gears, halo, cod, fifa, battlefield etc etc and that is thanks to how well Xbox live was implemented

I can safely say I don't feel like Microsoft took my money just to make a few quid. They invested in the structure

Top Bottom