• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headphone companies: no headphone jack, no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
I have Sennheiser HD-25s. I wonder if they will start selling a replacement cable that has a lightning connector instead of the 3.5m.

Amory

well of course the headphone companies don't care, they're going to sell a bunch of new bluetooth headsets

commedieu

Banned
And yet again, Apple moves the industry forward. And yet again, the same tired, predictable outrage from the same intellectually lazy and short-sighted people. Yes, headphone companies will ALL support the lightning jack, and be more motivated to make quality wireless headphones. They show more foresight and maturity than anyone in the OMG APPLE IS SO TERRIBLE headphone jack thread. Within a year every single reputable brand will have lightning versions, and every single old headphone you own will STILL work with the iPhone 7 with the adapter.

I dunno bruv, I think this will go over the bog standard troglodytes head as well.

Preach though!

The adapter or the use of the more universal bluetooth headphone is fine, if dumb. I still want the jack.

But the Lightning Headphones gross me out so much.
Apple Exclusive headphones that you won't be able to use outside of an Apple product. So disgusting.

Genuinely wonder if they'll get away with it. If anyone can it's apple of course, but I'm not even sure they can get away with replacing headphones entirely without an standard adapter.

Fliesen

But how long will Apple make 3.5mm adapters? If their goal is a wireless future like they said, wouldn't they try and kill off lightning itself as soon as they got the chance?

seriously? it's not like there won't be 5$ amazon essentials adapters in no time.

Not to mention wireless headphones will only last so long as to when their internal batteries die. Planned obsolescence just found its way to fucking headphones.

for those everyday earbuds, i'm quite sure that the battery within wireless earbuds is going to live longer than the cable of cheap wired headphones.

Not to mention wireless headphones will only last so long as to when their internal batteries die. Planned obsolescence just found its way to fucking headphones.
This too. Make it cheap or make it last - modern tech trends seems to want to make it expensive and short lived.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The adapter or the use of the more universal bluetooth headphone is fine, if dumb. I still want the jack.

Apple Exclusive headphones that you won't be able to use outside of an Apple product. So disgusting.

Genuinely wonder if they'll get away with it. If anyone can it's apple of course, but I'm not even sure they can get away with replacing headphones entirely without an standard adapter.

the lightning headphones are a "convenience" for people who don't want to fuck with an adapter (at likely some sort of cost)

people keep saying "headphones headphones headphones headphones" but everything you look at points to this being about the jack, not headphones. the fact that

a) apple is literally giving away the adapter, and selling it new (if you lose it) for hardly a goldmine..
b) 1/8" phono headphones will CLEARLY outsell lightning headphones... forever... we know this. apple knows this. apple doesn't care.

it's clear they just wanted to remove the jack. that the headphone companies are potentially making money on this likely doesn't fit into any sort of plan for apple one way or another. I'm guessing it barely even makes a budge in their licensing income.

it was about getting rid of a legacy single use jack whose single use was duplicated mostly or in full in multiple different areas on the phone.

commedieu

Banned
I liked the idea of plugging my headphones into my computer... then my phone.. and use that for my ps4 headset. Or when a workmate wants u to check out a video on their phone. If just plug it in...

But I guess I'm what's standing in the way of progress.

I'm sorry gaf :/

Water

a) music on the phone is still compressed (unless you are storing your own music)
Doesn't matter at all unless you have fantastic equipment, good ears and really quiet conditions. And if you are in that 0.0001% of users you still can store your own music.
b) the DAC issue in this thread if being way overblown. The DAC being used is the same DAC that has been used (internal to the phone). And removing the 1/8" port does nothing because......... it was still already using that same DAC.

The REAL DAC issue, is that there is currently no way (yet?) to output a digital audio signal from the phone to a pre-amp, but the removal of the port does nothing to hurt that, and may even do something to help it (maybe)
Do you mean lossless digital audio or something? Both Android and Apple's devices have supported audio over USB for a good while now.
See eg. http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

digdug2k

Yeah. I'm mostly ambivalent to this, except that I already live in a house where I have to have USB-C, Lightning, and micro-USB cables sticking out of my PC to charge a bunch of random devices I have around. I'm sick of juggling twelve different cable types. I now know that at some point in the future I'll have my wife asking me to find that one pair of Apple headphones in that drawer of cords that will only work on her device. Either that or I'll be trying desperately to find her a pair of bluetooth headphones that are charged.

It'll be annoying. Its shitty. There's lots of good, well engineered, "it just works" futures here, but this probably isn't one of them.

I liked the idea of plugging my headphones into my computer... then my phone.. and use that for my ps4 headset. Or when a workmate wants u to check out a video on their phone. If just plug it in...

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be people in the middle. I can say that I really wanted to buy an iPhone this time around for the plus's camera and battery life, and that I recently bought the iPad pro, but if I mentioned that I will not buy the new iPhone because the removal of the headphone jack is a deal breaker, I am suddenly a luddite non-forwarding thinking Apple hater. Fanboyism at it's worst.

M3d10n

I could see another problem being the continued abuse on the lightning connector. Some people here probably know that the lightning connector can be iffy at times like other connectors and it can get worse the more it's used. Same thing with the headphone jack really (always hated how easy it was for the 2 connectors to break in the device). Now there will be continued plugging and unplugging in one port taking all the abuse instead of two separate ones.

More revenue opportunities by selling AppleCare plans and charging for repairs/replacements.

Jarate

Banned
Of course headphone companies aren't pissed, tons of people are going to have to buy new headphones because of this

We shouldn't be asking other corporations about anti-consumer practices.

M3d10n

The entire "environmentally responsible" speech falls flat when they are willing to push people to replacing their headphones by wireless ones, which contain batteries and even more rare-earth materials in them.

Tommy DJ

For people claiming that headphone companies are happy because you have to buy new headphones, do you know that Apple is packing in a $9 adapter that lets you use your old headphones?

If you're a hardcore audiophile, you either have a separate music player or have external hardware that hooks to your phone through the lightning port anyway. If you're using wireless, you don't really care. If you want to use your old headphones, Apple packs in a $9 adapter that lets you do so.

The inconvenience factor is there but there's nothing stopping you from using your existing wired headphones if you want to. I mean, the manufacturers in the OP aren't really disputing this. Complaining about the manufacturer answers in the OP is like complaining that Hillary Clinton's recent interview with HONY was cold, calculated and dishonest. Outside of Jaybird, each of these manufacturers gave the answer I completely expected from them*. Because the removal of the headphone jack, but the inclusion of the 3.5mm adapter, doesn't obsolete everyone's existing headphones like everyone in this thread is going on about. As borghe noted, its all about the jack and not the headphone.

*Grado doesn't give a shit because they don't spend a single cent on R&D. Audio Technica straight up says you can use your choice of wired headphone. Sennheiser is clearly interested in integrating DSP into their headphones for sound quality reasons. AudioQuest is interested in a future where their Dragonfly portable DAC/amp is integrated inside the digital cable itself which is already where lower cost external amp/DAC solutions are going. The iPhone 7 is more or less the continuation of the status quo except for companies who seriously believe in the merits of DSP.

Sky Chief

Yeah, as someone who uses Bluetooth speakers to connect to my personal phone, work phone, PC, tablet, etc... for different uses connecting to new devices is a pain in the ass. Most of the time I just bypass this by connecting the Bluetooth speaker by 3.5mm jack. Wireless tech has a long way to go until it becomes intuitive and works with a variety of different devices easily and seamlessly.

Yeah, as someone who uses Bluetooth speakers to connect to my personal phone, work phone, PC, tablet, etc... for different uses connecting to new devices is a pain in the ass. Most of the time I just bypass this by connecting the Bluetooth speaker by 3.5mm jack. Wireless tech has a long way to go until it becomes intuitive and works with a variety of different devices easily and seamlessly.

The good news is there's extra motivation now to get wireless audio tech to become easier to connect with higher quality audio. May be rough to start but now we're on the path to get there. Probably not until Bluetooth 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom