• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads Up: Pokemon X & Y Game Freezing Glitch

Wiz

Didn't see a thread or any posts about it here, so lock if old.

I was over on the Gamefaqs X&Y board and posters are reporting that there is a game breaking glitch that occurs if you save in certain spots outside in Lumiose city.

Here's the thread:

I saved near a cab in Lumiose City and now whenever I try to restart my game it immediately freeezes. It loads my trainer and all of my clothes as well as the buildings and their lighting effects, but none of the objects in the streets or the textures on the buildings show up.

Pokémon-Amie is also frozen on my bottom-screen without loading anything and the game won't return to the Home menu when I push my button. I can hard-shutoff, but the 3DS internal software is completely frozen.

The only evidence I can find that anyone's had similar trouble is a single YouTube video uploaded by someone who speaks some Asian language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzxQhXyLJQ0

Anyways, I'm posting this both in hopes of informing everyone else playing the game, and in hopes of finding a fix that doesn't involve deleting my save.

It's probably a shot in the dark, but if anyone knows how to fix this, could you please tell me? I really don't want to start a new save file since I'm just past Clemont and only just managed to get my entire team to their final evolutions!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67488169

Other users have confirmed the same problem. This can happen with both Physical and Digital copies.

Salsa

thanks for the heads up, will keep in mind

as an aside: is it normal for the game to lose the internet connection if you hit the home button? always comes back with an error and I have to connect again

Sendou

as an aside: is it normal for the game to lose the internet connection if you hit the home button? always comes back with an error and I have to connect again

Happens to me too but it's not the case with every 3DS game. Mario Kart 7 is an example where accessing home menu doesn't shut down internet.

emb

Scary stuff. I mean maybe not now... but in a few months, when/if I move all my stuff over? I could so easily lose dozens of Pokemon raised over 10 years.

Nintendo, this is the one situation where you really need to patch. D:

Simzyy

I got stuck next to some guy in Lumiose City. Took about 2 minutes of switching between skates and running to get unstuck.

I was worried. Never going anywhere near that guy again (was a guy near a narrow path leading to an alley if I remember correctly)

Pudge

Yes, it has disconnected every time for me as well.

Salsa

Happens to me too but it's not the case with every 3DS game. Mario Kart 7 is an example where accessing home menu doesn't shut down internet.

oh, yeah. Doesnt happen with any other game for me neither. Just somewhat annoying in Pokemon when I wanna check the battery.

tchaten

Neo Member

Yes that is a normal behavior of X and Y

SuperSah

Banned

Happens to me too.

It's annoying, because no other games disconnect when I press home either.

KHlover

Banned
A friend of mine who had this problem said to remove your SD card, then boot the 3DS and X/Y normally.

Top comment of the vid. Does it help?

Tadale

This happened to me constantly during the first day, but I don't think I saw it at all yesterday. Very frustrating even to lose just 15 minutes of so of progress.

ksimm

Sounds like a similar issue I had with Animal Crossing where it seemed the save was corrupt and things just glitched like crazy. The fix was to remove the wireless connection and then create it again.

Worth a try...

DCing when I put my game in sleep mode has already become aggravating, especially since I play in spurts. Time for a patch, methinks

Elija2

Animal Crossing has been out for 4 months and Nintendo has yet to release a patch for that game, although that game doesn't have any bugs as serious as Pokemon. Hopefully Nintendo fixes it soon.

ALM5252

Animal Crossing has been out for 4 months and Nintendo has yet to release a patch for that game, although that game doesn't have any bugs as serious as Pokemon. Hopefully Nintendo fixes it soon.

But Pokemon is a high profile game. So I expect that they will release a patch soon.

More infuriating for me is closing the system = losing internet connection

Makes playing online and posting on gaf very annoying because I instinctively close my system to save battery.

Oersted

Great job at pointing it out.

Scary stuff. I mean maybe not now... but in a few months, when/if I move all my stuff over? I could so easily lose dozens of Pokemon raised over 10 years.

Nintendo, this is the one situation where you really need to patch. D:

They already patched a couple of 3DS games. The idea is not new.

Sanic

Thanks for pointing this out.

Lumiose is already an awful place so now I have good reason to avoid it. I hope Nintendo patches this, but they don't really have a consistent record of doing that with their games.

ALM5252

That's true, but it's still odd that they put a patching feature in AC but have yet to use it this far after release.

I'm not sure how bad the glitch is for Animal Crossing, but if not a lot of people are experiencing a game breaking glitch, they might not feel the need to patch it yet. Or they might be working on one, and making sure that patch won't mess up anything else that wasn't wrong in the first place.

EDIT: Plus this is really a GameFreak thing. Chances are they will do it even if Nintendo wouldn't really patch their own stuff. I mean, didn't GameFreak make some sort of patch for Ruby and Sapphire's berry glitch thing by using Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Colosseum, etc?

Wiz

Thanks for pointing this out.

Lumiose is already an awful place so now I have good reason to avoid it. I hope Nintendo patches this, but they don't really have a consistent record of doing that with their games.

If it's a widespread of a problem as we're seeing now, they'll definitely patch it, but it will be a while before they do, going off the time it took to patch Mario kart 7 or Skyward Sword.

Game director Junichi Masuda explained that although imbalances "could happen", as with previous entries in the series, he believes the team has "got it right" this time.

"We don't really plan to release any kind of updates to change the balance," he told Digital Spy.

"Of course, we think we have it perfect this time, but thought that before and depending on certain move combinations.
But but but game freak said the game was perfect and would never need patches

blamite

I would guess there would be a problem with the engine if there's a freezing issue, and they're not going to do any post game patches.

Come on. It's just a case of the thread you linked having a dumb title. Nothing in the actual article mentions engine patches. All Masuda said was that they wouldn't change the balance of battles.

moozoom

I had another type of Freezing bug yesterday. I had played about 9 hours so far and I was using pokémon-amie when suddenly, the game displayed an error message and rebooted.

Luckily, it took me to the start screen and I lost only about 20 minutes of play, my save was okay.

Info about the bug with possible spoilers :
I was in Parfum Castle, on the balcony and I hadn't yet retrieved the lost dog pokémon in the garden. After playing a mini game in pokémon amie with my starter, the game crashed.

Since then I played a little more, and it looks ok... but I'm afraid to play mini-games now.
Let's hope they patch the bugs.

Edit : I play a PAL pokémon Y game, in French. But my system language is English cause I want to play my other games in english ( Animal crossing, Starfox for the voices etc... )

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PKMN games have always been notoriously glitchy but the worst of the worst are usually fixed up in time for the international relase. But since these games were a worldwide release... hang tough trainers!

Hedja

"thats what you get for only sending Bunnelby's on wonder trade fuckers"

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I've been victim to Japanese-branded Level 3 Fletchlings myself. Wonder Trade is pointless. I thought they'd at least balanced the levels.

Toxi

Banned
That Nintendo quality control.

Didn't they say they were going to not patch Pokemon X and Y? Hope they change their minds.

Top Bottom