• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: Sony employees drunk on job, pressed send button accidentally

Edit:

Had to post this thread just in case considering the response it got on the official forums.

If real, it's another case of Sony misinformation and confusion and I'm sorry for the "oh fuck" moment I may have caused some in the frenzy to warm against another account hijacking.

Avoid at all costs. This is not a real email.

Not my pic. Got it from the Playstation forums.

psn.jpg

Not my pic. Got it from the Playstation forums.

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (PERSON)          12/15/2011 11:51 PM
Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the email you received regarding unused funds in your PlayStation®Wallet. The message you received was not sent by a representative of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). I apologize for the inconvenience and concern that this has caused you.

We suggest deleting any messages that are not from pscustomer_service@playstation.sony.com then reporting the person who sent it to you using our online tool.

Sending chain messages or unsolicited messages is against the Community Code of Conduct and may cause your PlayStation Network account to be suspended or banned.

To report the person sending this message, please click on the link below:

Article Title: Reporting inappropriate or abusive users
Article Link: http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/218

If you have clicked on any links included in the email or have replied to the email, we also recommend that you immediately change your PlayStation Network account password by following the steps outlined below:

In order to change your password on your PlayStation 3 system, please follow the steps outlined below:

- On the XMB™, go to the PlayStation Network icon.
- Choose, "Sign In".
- Enter your Sign-In ID (email address).
- Select, "Forgot Password" and press the X button.
- Enter your Sign-In ID and Date of Birth, select the on screen "Continue" button and press the X button.
- Select the "Confirm" button and press the X button.
- You will receive an email with a link that will allow you to change your password within 24 hours.

If you are unable to locate the Forgot Password Link, please follow the steps outlined below:

- On the XMB™ go to the PlayStation Network icon.
- If you see "Account Management" press the triangle button and turn off the "Auto Sign In" feature.
- Next, select "Sign Out".
- Go back to the PlayStation Network icon and follow the steps above.

I know that by deleting this message without clicking on any links contained in the message and reporting the person who sent the message will keep your PlayStation Network account secure. Resetting your password is just a precaution. I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. If you have any further questions and/or concerns regarding this or any other issue you may have with any PlayStation® product, please email us again.

Regards,

<<<<

Yep, I got this e-mail too an hour ago. Didn't click on any links, of course. Reported it as spam.

Since it's this e-mail account's first phishing letter, and considering the subject, I'm guessing that this is related to the PSN hack. Wouldn't be surprised if the database is starting to make its rounds.

I got that email too. I think I have two cents in my wallet (first time I've ever had money in my wallet for more than a couple of minutes), so I didn't really think anything about the email. I didn't click the link though

dwebo

Anybody still have the sign-in link that was in the email?

playstation-email.com is owned by sony, at least, despite sounding fishy
Registrant:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E HILLSDALE BLVD
FOSTER CITY, CA 94404-4247
US

Domain name: PLAYSTATION-EMAIL.COM

Yep, I got this e-mail too an hour ago. Didn't click on any links, of course. Reported it as spam.

Since it's this e-mail account's first phishing letter, and considering the subject, I'm guessing that this is related to the PSN hack. Wouldn't be surprised if the database is starting to make its rounds.
Was thinking the same thing. Looks like the database may be out in the wild. Of course this just speculative.

JJD

Holy shit...I've received this a couple hours ago.

I found it funny since I always check the funds on my accounts, as I'm always buying stuff, so why would I have unused credit for more than 6 months?

I wonder if they've got my e-mail on the PSN hack fiasco... :-S

Gotta warn a couple friends about this.

Well this gets even odder. I just turned on my PS3, and when I signed-in to PSN, it told me that I have a new message. So I checked the message box and sure enough, the subject is the same as this phishing e-mail ("Unused Balance"). It had a "Special Offers" attachment.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got an XMB message saying I have wallet funds and that I should check videos unlimited with a link to it. I thought these were both real since Sony has sent emails in the past that seemed fake but were real. Lol.

What happens when you click the link? I think I accidentally clicked it on my phone but closed the tab right away

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Same, got it a few hours ago and paid no attention. Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing this is some fall out from the PSN hack? Name/e-mail lists?

I got an XMB message saying I have wallet funds and that I should check videos unlimited with a link to it. I thought these were both real since Sony has sent emails in the past that seemed fake but were real. Lol.

What happens when you click the link? I think I accidentally clicked it on my phone but closed the tab right away

Confusing as the specific email was denied on the playstation boards.

Soi-Fong

I actually got this email and almost thought it was legit since I do have funds in my wallet (9 bucks to be exact) and I haven't used them in a while. Haven't clicked anything though so I should be good.

Odd thing is that I also got a pretty legit looking message in PSN as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've already deleted mine, but does merely clicking the link ruin your life or does it take you to a page where you put in your login and pass and then it ruins your life?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

If you google the email address, you can see various topics asking if that address is legit (stupid enough it is a legit email that they use to send newsletters)
Maybe the Sony rep in the OP doesn't know it's a legit email, it would be consistent with the Vita miscommunication :)

Aru

Got this email and almost clicked on the link. But then I remembered I only have 0.01$ in my wallet, so I shouldn't bother. Glad I did it.
Thanks GAF and OP !

Korigama

Well this gets even odder. I just turned on my PS3, and when I signed-in to PSN, it told me that I have a new message. So I checked the message box and sure enough, the subject is the same as this phishing e-mail ("Unused Balance"). It had a "Special Offers" attachment.
I believe I've received something like this as well (it, too, had a Special Offers attachment). In my case, it mentioned a sale on a PSN game I had played a demo of previously (one which was never listed as being on sale in any of the updates). Nothing was missing from my wallet, but I deleted the message just to be sure. Sender was identified as [PSN].

mAcOdIn

I got this email and opened and read it. Didn't click any links so does that make me safe?
Well, the most they could have would be an acknowledgement that your email is correct, which they probably already knew as this seems rather targeted, and your immediate IP which they will probably do nothing with, so I'd say you're fine.

Chris_C

If you google the email address, you can see various topics asking if that address is legit (stupid enough it is a legit email that they use to send newsletters)
Maybe the Sony rep in the OP doesn't know it's a legit email, it would be consistent with the Vita miscommunication :)

I don't believe the OP is a Sony rep.

The jury would seem to be as to this email's legitimacy, playstation-email.com would seem to be a legit email address.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't believe the OP is a Sony rep.

The jury would seem to be as to this email's legitimacy, playstation-email.com would seem to be a legit email address.

It was the same address used to send out the identity theft emails months ago

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Links to Sony entertainment Network and it has a valid certificate. But when I got this I also thought it was a strange message.

Reikon

It's legit. Click the links in the email and they'll lead to sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and playstation.com, both Sony domains.

The email domain and server used was used before in legit Sony emails.

Hanmik

So it's fake, but coming from a real Sony owned domain ? What ?

How about free Infamous 2 ?

just send it to me...

I´m not sure it is fake.. my mail server here at work is down at the moment, as soon as it comes up I will check for the mail, and click the links.. just to check.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's legit. Click the links in the email and they'll lead to sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and playstation.com, both Sony domains.

The email domain and server used was used before in legit Sony emails.

The Playstation-email.com URL link used are used in previous legit emails too.

If a real Sony rep really did say its an unauthorized email...Sony doesn't know anything that they are doing :lol

That or whoever faked it made a damn good fake

The Playstation-email.com URL link used are used in previous legit emails too.

If a real Sony rep really did say its an unauthorized email...Sony doesn't know anything that they are doing :lol

That or whoever faked it made a damn good fake

Yeah, looking at other threads, it's looking more and more like this e-mail may be legit, or at least coming from a legit source.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-games-playstation-3/189462-wallet-balance-update.html

Ah, found the thread on the PS forums:
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36491705#36491705

Had to post this thread just in case considering the response it got on the official forums.

If real, it's another case of Sony misinformation and confusion and I'm sorry for the "oh fuck" moment I may have caused some in the frenzy to warm against another account hijacking.

I did think it was a pretty obnoxious e-mail. I wanted to send an email back saying, "I don't care that I haven't purchased anything on PSN in ages. Don't contact me."

Bout to spam that piece of shit.

SlickVic

Links to Sony entertainment Network and it has a valid certificate. But when I got this I also thought it was a strange message.

Yep, just verified this as well. False alarm it seems in this case, but always good to be suspicious with these sort of emails.

lucius

So I clicked on it and it took the to the Official Sony site and I was able to log in and see activated devices and all my account info. And it was definitely the Sony site where I deactivated my other PS3 system last month. I have like a dollar in funds and don't have a credit card info on file, but are you sure this is fake. Since the site even had all my correct download list with each exact date when I download it which only Sony has access to I would think.

But will change password again to be safe, what a pain these things are turning out to be.

Top Bottom