• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain Revealed on Next Week's GTTV

mcdonnell

See here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/show/gametrailers-tv

20090514.jpg

I don't know why but I thought they were making a game based off the movie script "Chubby Rain" in that movie with Eddie Murphy.

tribal24

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Good news, I thought that Sony was going to hold this back until E3 based on previous statements made about it.

im started to think there getting the little stuff out the way:lol . there gonna reveal something massive i think

So could this possibly be good news for a winter release? Please and thank you... Definitely my most wanted of the year - HR will revive the adventure game.

Gametrailers is ******* useless, it used to be quick and clean. Now it's bloated with crappy flash adds, super compressed videos and Xbox boxarts for every game. Gah, I was watching their Rise of the Argonaughts review and the guy says: "An Xbox game..." lol what? So I asked Rich about it and he says: "What's wrong with it?"

These guys have gone downhill in everything. Gamersyde please!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I watched bits of the last one but this next one is much more interesting. Anything Heavy Rain and I'm always in for info.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Start your engines...

Heavy Rain director David Cage has said that his upcoming PS3-exclusive would not be able to run on Microsoft's console

When asked if Heavy Rain would be possible on the Xbox 360 Cage told us he "didn't think so," as the game takes specific advantage of the PS3's hardware capabilities.

"I think this game can only be done on Playstation 3," he said. "We used all the SPUs.

"I think to do the visuals, and all the stuff we’re doing would be too difficult [on the 360]. There are amazing physics there, and stuff with crowds that you just couldn’t really get."

StuBurns

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
It's an interesting claim. The Alan Wake people said virtually the opposite a few years ago.

I think unless a developer has produced something substantial on both, their opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt. Sony are the publisher for HR. But, Cage did want a first party publisher so they could develop a game for a single platform.

DMeisterJ

Banned
tribal24 said:
im started to think there getting the little stuff out the way:lol . there gonna reveal something massive i think

Probably clearing out time so that they can focus on the PS3 Slim, and the PSP Go!

GQman2121

Banned
Definitely want to hear more (or anything) about the games actual mechanics. It looks amazing no doubt. But how does it play?

thaOwner

CrushDance said:
Gametrailers is ******* useless, it used to be quick and clean. Now it's bloated with crappy flash adds, super compressed videos and Xbox boxarts for every game. Gah, I was watching their Rise of the Argonaughts review and the guy says: "An Xbox game..." lol what? So I asked Rich about it and he says: "What's wrong with it?"

These guys have gone downhill in everything. Gamersyde please!
High-five. On that note, I hope this supposedly new trailer gets leaked like the Uncharted one and make their "world exclusive" shit that normally appear before each video seem pointless again.

That interview posted above has some pretty interesting things in it

Do you think the technology you bought from Vicon has paid off? Is it delivering to your expectation?

Having an in-house full MoCap system is a rare luxury for a developer. We made this choice seven years ago and we never regretted it. We developed unique techniques, we learnt how to shoot, how to direct actors, we experimented everything we could (from ice skating to walking in a crowd), we learnt how to produce insane amount of high quality animations in an acceptable time frame (and an affordable cost…), which I believe will be one of the strong points of HR. We also invested in our proprietary facial animation technology which will give unprecedented results in a game.

Most of all, we understood that MoCap was the easiest part of the process. The real challenges are about organization and pipelines, directing actors, and how you make your animations and characters fit.

MoCap becomes more and more a strategic technology for developers and for the type of games we create in particular. Depending on someone else for such an important part was just not possible. Also, I guess the cost of the 12 hours of MoCap we had in Fahrenheit would have paid the system, so it was definitely the right choice to buy it instead ;-)

HR will put the bar high regarding animation. It is probably the game using the most animations ever made: we shot for seven months every day, with a total of 50 actors and stuntmen. The final game will feature more than 15 000 unique animations. In the game, almost every single action is unique as everything is contextual.

Fahrenheit delved into some quite fantastical territory– will Heavy Rain do the same, or is the story more grounded?

Heavy Rain is about real people in a real world confronted to real problems. No sci-fi, no magic, no supernatural powers. I think our media is now ready for more subtle stories. We don’t need to save the world or destroy the evil monster to tell something exciting anymore. I thought I had to in Fahrenheit to make the game spectacular, but I realized that the best part of the game was when it was grounded. It made me realize that reality could be just as exciting as fantasy, and that most people would probably relate more easily to characters and situations that are closer to what they know and who they are.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
thaOwner said:
Kinda sad to see comments like this being made so far in the generation but whatever. Next week is d-day.
I just think either a question was posed or these devs obviously know what they're saying. It shouldn't be a big secret of what the PS3 is capable of but the flaunting of it is not really necessary. I think we can all see it for ourselves.

That interview is very enticing. This is the thriller I've been waiting for.

Never forget Alan Wake though. This is 1 and Alan Wake is probably my second most anticipated game at retail.

GQman2121 said:
Definitely want to hear more (or anything) about the games actual mechanics. It looks amazing no doubt. But how does it play?

From what we've seen it looks quite similar to Fahrenheit. Think adventure game but with QTE's for action sequences. It looks like object manipulation is on the right stick and I'm sure there was some mention of sixaxis being used for dialogue trees.

I think there is enough information out there to gain some clue. Personally I want to know how the movement of your character feels. No amount of descriptions will be enough, I have to get my hands on it. So for me it's not about hearing about this stuff, it's about getting my hands on the game.

StuBurns

Banned
They aren't QTE in the traditional sense. They're context sensitive on-screen button commands.

A [] doesn't just come up so you can kick him in the balls. You have to use your right stick to make her look at his balls for the option to come up.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
I can't believe this PS3 vs 360 shit still goes on. When a low-end PC assfucks the both of them, who cares?
I guess it's because console games are generally of a much higher quality.

Not that many developers are willing to spend the same amount of cash on PC development. So even though spec wise PCs easily outclass consoles, which console is more powerful still means something.

Though I think they're close enough that we're never really going to know. If it were a significant difference we'd know by now.

iceatcs

Finally, realistic game. I thought Alan Wake will be but it looks like zombie game. But glad Heavy Rain will be nothing supernatural.

Top Bottom