• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade’s permadeath is a bluff - PCGamesN

He played it long enough to bitch about popin (that I have not seen yet on my less-than-stellar PC) and call it a rushjob:

icIZcrE.png

This game seemed like one he was ready to shit on.

I think somebody might be in a bad mood...

Wanderer5

I am kind of confused about this, but if this is something that has quite a bit of leeway anyway which sounds like the case, then I could get through this probably, cause I usually want to avoid permadeath stuff nowadays.

I presume everyone up in arms about a game manipulating the player is still upset about HIDEO, right?

Please follow my Steam Curator account, The Unreliable Narrator Constabulary.

gunstarhero

That sort of sucks the wind out of buying this game for me. Would have been really awesome for the devs to really delete your file after too many deaths... the game is short enough where it wouldn't really bother me, and it adds a bit of charm to the game.

I take some of this back - while it DOES suck that this was spoiled on release day, the game looks really amazing. Between IGN and GIant Bomb's looks at the game, I'm completely sold - regardless that one of the game's intriguing features is a bit misconstrued.

Garlador

Did you know if you don't beat Shenmue II fast enough, you get a game over?

... You just have to waste a LOT off time.

This shouldn't be a problem, bluff or not.

a lot of people prob feel real dumb right now

It was a cool story thing and but now clueless internet hot takes and rage ruined the thing for many

Yeah, this has made that a lot less interesting.

Hey guys, guess what? You aren't actually losing your mind when you play Eternal Darkness either. Can't we just play the game sometimes?

Feels like a shitty thing to make a thread about for those of us who wouldn't want it ruined.

Dr.Acula

Banned
deletes the boot record of your hard drive, you have to reinstall your whole system.

There's a version of Doom for Linux systems where every enemy is a random file and when you kill them it deletes that file. Sometimes you delete a .gif in your temp dir, sometimes you delete a system file.

KHlover

Banned
As permadeath turned to "kinda permadeath" the likelihood of me buying this game went from "never" to "kinda never". Still doesn't sound like a very enjoyable mechanic.

There's a version of Doom for Linux systems where every enemy is a random file and when you kill them it deletes that file. Sometimes you delete a .gif in your temp dir, sometimes you delete a system file.
Why would someone play that and lose important files?

Why would someone play that and lose important files?

If losing your install is no great loss, like if you were going to uninstall anyways, then why not? It's like a game of russian roulette for your installation, but the gun is always loaded and could be pointed anywhere. It's an experiment. Let's see what happens!

doemaaan

That kind of sucks. Would've been nice as a feature on anything above normal though. (I haven't played a game yet, I'm assuming there are difficulty levels)

GeNoMe

I'm going through the game right now, and I consider this threads title a spoiler.
Thanks for ruining part of the game for me and the people who did not want to know this.

tsundoku

this thread title literally lost them about four sales from me and people i was going to convince to buy it

so maybe make less of an asshole topic title next time? for fucks sake

ISee

So you were only planning to buy the game based on permadeath?

WHAT?! People were thinking about buying a game because a game mechanic sounded interesting to them and now after being spoiled about that mechanic they no longer want to buy it? Those people are mad and irrational.

/s

Xiofire

Gotta say, contrary to most in here, I love this.
Before knowing it was a bluff, I played through the first two bosses and was absolutely on the edge of my seat. Beat
Surtr
just fine, but when I fell to
Valravn
I was genuinely panicked and a little pissed that I'd used one of my "failures" so early in the game.

Then to find out it's a bluff, well...of course it is? The entire game is about
the concurrent theme of Senua's psyche telling her endlessly that's she's going to die, she's going to fail, she's going to hurt the people she loves; so the game telling you failure will result in removing your progress is just another nagging voice putting you on edge, but this time it reaches the player and their mental approach to the game, rather then falling on Senua's ears alone.

Gotta give Ninja Theory props for all this. In my eyes, this was all very well played, considering the material.

Hanmik

damn.. so many people angry about the thread title.. it was a direct copy of the title from the news article. I just copied the article headline.

Maybe I should have called it...

"About the Permadeath in Hellblade......"
or
"PCGamesN has some news about the Permadeath in Hellblade"
or
"You will never believe what PCGamesN discovered about Permadeath in Hellblade"
or...

ahh forget it... spoiler culture is so fucking strange..

fireflame

I think i am not ready to invest money or a lot of money in a game that features permadeath.I have experienced it in roguleike games and most of times it felt frustrating. I understand it is a developer choice, but for me it is a straight skip verdict in general. In the cas eof hellblade it seems to bea mitigated fetaure that only triggers if you are really bad at the game, but reading so many news about permadeath is kind of inciting me to hold back for a while.

I don't like to invest many hours in a game and see them ruined suddenly, i understand some player slike that but i am not made for that. I feeli do not want to send developers the wrong message, in my opinion permadeath should alway sbe optional; this way people looking for a challenge would have it, and people wanting a more relaxed expereince would have fun too.

Edit: i feel people are a bit overreacting about the spoiler thing, i understands the definition of spoiling can be very large but obviously the OP had not evil intention and it was not super ovious to guess this would be seen as a spoiler(imo).

damn.. so many people angry about the thread title.. it was a direct copy of the title from the news article. I just copied the article headline.

or
or
or...

I wouldn't worry about. No matter what the title was people would have clicked and been "spoiled".

sonto340

or
or
or...

This is literally one of the biggest surprises in a game that just came out. This isn’t spoiler culture being out of control, it’s the main gimmick of a game being ousted before it’s even had a chance to hit the ground running.

Edit: to clarify, I’m not pointing this comment at you, but rather the conversation that’s been happening across games media in the last day. I wish people would let things be a fucking surprise once in a while.

Arcteryx

WHAT?! People were thinking about buying a game because a game mechanic sounded interesting to them and now after being spoiled about that mechanic they no longer want to buy it? Those people are mad and irrational.

/s

The mechanic wasn't even mentioned prior to release AFAIK.

Soooo...

IF this was their narrative mechanism, most gamers––who wouldn't know any better and really why should they?––would not be thinking wow, that made me paranoid and more sympathetic to the character. No, they'd be like 'fuck this, I'm not playing through all over again' for a game that really doesn't have much replay value either.

IF this was their narrative mechanism, most gamers––who wouldn't know any better and really why should they?––would not be thinking wow, that made me paranoid and more sympathetic to the character. No, they'd be like 'fuck this, I'm not playing through all over again' for a game that really doesn't have much replay value either.
It works in-game, according to people who have played it.

Mman235

This whole "controversy" should be automatically sent to anyone who questions why the majority of games are so scared to try anything different.

First of all, like many, I was in panic every time I died for fear it was THAT time I had to restart everything.

It's a good bluff, and a good damn play from the devs. I don't understand how this is news worthy.

Game messing with our heads? I say 10/10 to that.

People who say they not gonna buy the game because of the perma death stuff are so silly.

If it bothers you that much just back up your save.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just assumed the game was being dramatic lmao, like it was just basically saying "if you die too many times you go back to your last check point"

Top Bottom