• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

PrinceKee

I'm interested in this game so I'll check in on this OT for impressions and reviews. One thing that I'm worried about is the combat. Enemies don't seem to react to hits..

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested in this game so I'll check in on this OT for impressions and reviews. One thing that I'm worried about is the combat. Enemies don't seem to react to hits..

The big enemies absorb a lot of hits but the smaller ones all react to each individual strike.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game. I think I'll enjoy it but I reckon it'll land in the 60s on Metacritic.

Keym

I watched a couple of minutes of a stream, and yeah, the combat looks pretty simple and it's more of a walking simulator. Granted, it doesn't look like a bad walking simulator, but you know.

Zukkoyaki

I watched a couple of minutes of a stream, and yeah, the combat looks pretty simple and it's more of a walking simulator. Granted, it doesn't look like a bad walking simulator, but you know.
So reviewers are going to dock it hard because it isn't what they expected it would be. Got it!

Gbraga

Can it be a speed-between-walking-and-sprinting simulator, at least?

OtisInf

Sounds great to me. The game has amazing atmosphere (from the videos/shots I've seen) and will be a blast to take screenshots of (yes, some of us are that weird!). Hopefully the photomode is OK enough (creating one is fun too, but if a decent one is already there, it's good too). 1 day to go! :)

prudislav

I guess we saw different streams ,combat is fine and its much less walkins sim than nuTomb Raider is

mollipen

So the original estimates are correct?

It's hard for me to know for sure given the game has no built-in timer, but my guess is that it took me slightly longer than those estimates as someone who did enjoy some amount of poking around and taking screenshots.

Keym

I guess we saw different streams ,combat is fine and its much less walkins sim than nuTomb Raider is

It was somewhere around the 30 minutes mark, maybe it opens up a bit after the beginning. The combat, ehhh, I went back to watch and it still looked rather simple. Attack, attack, attack, block if you see an enemy attacking, attack. It's not exactly DmC.

In any case, from what I've seen, it's worth it for the atmosphere alone!

Sylas

I'm immensely nervous about this game. I can't read the whole thread right now, but are there any impressions about how it uses the concept of psychosis? As someone that deals with mental illness I'm wary of the game and if they'll use it... respectfully I guess? Not as a storytelling caveat, basically. Is it used well or is it more like, "Ooooh she sees demons because of her psychosis!!!!"?

Been looking forward to this since it was announced. Gotta remember to preorder later. No way the game won't at least be interesting.

bbd23

It's hard for me to know for sure given the game has no built-in timer, but my guess is that it took me slightly longer than those estimates as someone who did enjoy some amount of poking around and taking screenshots.

awesome! thanks.

pakkit

Banned
Someone posted the first 30 minutes of the game on YouTube. Not sure how long this will last before taken down. However, it does confirm that there is a permadeath system.

https://youtu.be/n7qFzlzvLqs

Confirms the perma-death mechanic. If you die too many times, all narrative progression is lost. Seems like an interesting idea. Really love the world building/performance in those first 30.

corin7

Neo Member
Amazing OT! Already bought'd. I have genuinely enjoyed all of Ninja Theory's games can't wait to get my hands on this.

scriptgiant

Neo Member
I'm really excited to play this game. I just put together a new PC so I will definitely take advantage of the uncapped FPS. I will also follow of the advice of everyone and play this with headphones on. Interested to see how the bin-aural audio comes into play or just a gimmick.

GavinUK86

CTmbsyc.png

Maybe the permadeath thing is optional? Or only turned on on higher difficulties.

Someone posted the first 30 minutes of the game on YouTube. Not sure how long this will last before taken down. However, it does confirm that there is a permadeath system.

https://youtu.be/n7qFzlzvLqs

What point is the permadeath bit? I don't wanna see too many spoilers. Does it kick them back to the menu or something?

I saw someone compare this to Ryse and I think it's apt; though I hope the gameplay and enemies don't become as repetitive. Really looking forward to this.

GavinUK86

Around the 24:50 mark. The game confirms it
via text

Oh yeah I see, thanks. So it seems you have an undisclosed amount of "lives" before you permanently die. I guess that number is dependent on the difficulty. Interesting.

Very interested in this. Gonna wait on the reviews and first impressions to decide whether to pick this up or spend an extra £5 for Horizon in the current sale.

Astral Dog

The big enemies absorb a lot of hits but the smaller ones all react to each individual strike.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game. I think I'll enjoy it but I reckon it'll land in the 60s on Metacritic.
All Ninja Thepry games have been critically well recieved its just that if you are an action game fan besides DmC there isn't much to look forward to.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Man some of the imagery in that first half hour is pretty tough to watch when you know people who go through these things.....
8VXuM19.gif

Keep in mind at first they said on twitter 6 to 8 hours, which actually means 6 hours, but in actual fact you'll probably finish in 4 if you dont stretch it artificially and look at evey wall and texture

on the other hand, I'm the type that takes a lot longer to play through games,searching everywhere, or simply taking my time taking in the atmosphere.

So for me, it's closer to 12-14 hours. ;p

Top Bottom