• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

robotrock

Banned
Need help on a puzzle before I start getting angry. It's the second one.

you have to line up the raven to the mark of v-something? The symbol on the door. I think the ravens are the blue things but idk

Not only that, but because of the nature of the game, short, single playthrough, I guess second hand copies would impact sales very hard. Now I prefer physical, but in this instance, considering the reduced price, I think it is fair to be a digital only title.

Great point that hadn't even really crossed my mind!
Really hope this does well for them and encourages other publishers or devs that this model is viable.

b0bbyJ03

i just picked this up on Steam. Very excited about the binaural audio. that alone sold me. I'll be playing with headphones. Is there a setting to activate the binaural sound?

EekTheKat

In a way, Hellblade feels oddly very refreshing. Assuming I've seen the core gameplay loop after about 3 hours, it's like a complete 180 from a lot of modern games that require you to
grind, loot box, or do endless daily quests.
. So far each bit has been very engaging.

I felt compelled to push forward to see where this is all going based on how the story has been going so far.

It's a very lean and streamlined experience in a good way, assuming quality remains the same throughout the rest of the game.

I can appreciate Ninja Theory for building a game that respects my time, and because of that I'm way more inclined to look forward to their next project - assuming they stick to their guns and not fall prey to a lot of modern gaming traps.

Strangely enough, the game reminds me of
the old classic Ghouls and Ghosts
for some reason.

Bonus points for
there's seemingly no HUD or UI in this game during gameplay, all of the information you need is conveyed to you through other means in game, which feels oddly awesome once it all clicks together

I feel like i'm missing something with the 2nd Soot fire door. I flat out can't get there in time, i've died a bunch of times on this to the point that the black stuff is almost to my shoulder. I'm getting very frustrated. Anyone have some hints?

NeoRaider

Game looks amazing! And runs well on my PC. I also like Photo Mode a lot, there is enough options and effects, few fast screenshots from the beginning of the game:

Demption

I feel like i'm missing something with the 2nd Soot fire door. I flat out can't get there in time, i've died a bunch of times on this to the point that the black stuff is almost to my shoulder. I'm getting very frustrated. Anyone have some hints?
Is that the one where you need to go through the house?

Where it tells you to keep track of where to go? If so, go right side, drop down, and keep to your right. Literally just sprint the whole way. Not that hard.

That's what i've been trying to do, but I seem to always collapse like 5 seconds from the door.

Edit: Alright I give up, I don't think this game is for me.

Aklamarth

Ultrawide support

ukCfLQN.png

drotahorror

Imo this is one of those games that look great in motion but not too hot in screenshots due to all the post-effects (chromatic aberration being a big one). CA should always be an option but I can appreciate a developers vision if it's not an option.

jayvo

Sorry if it's been mentioned but what resolution is the game running at on PS4 Pro when in higher resolution mode?

NewDust

So if it's 1440p at higher resolution mode, then is it safe to assume that its 1080p 60 fps in high framerate mode? I just didn't see any of this information listed anywhere.

It uses dynamic resolution in both options. Resolution option tries to stick at 1440p at 30fps. Framerate mode aims for 60fps at 1080p minimum.

It is in this article from the psblog.

Ultrawide support

ukCfLQN.png

This game('s camera) seems to be made for 21:9. Really hope someone upload a 21:9 playthrough.

alt27

The premise of the story really interets me but im confused about the difficulty. I dont like dark souls type games, so is it that kinda difficulty level? Will this be a wasted purchase on me?

NewDust

The premise of the story really interets me but im confused about the difficulty. I dont like dark souls type games, so is it that kinda difficulty level? Will this be a wasted purchase on me?

There are difficulty settings. Default is a difficulty scaling to your capabilities. What I played so far, it's not difficult and definitely not to souls level. There is a mechanic that slows time, which charges with attacks, and this ability also heals you. Battles are intense, but not difficult I would say.

alt27

There are difficulty settings. Default is a difficulty scaling to your capabilities. What I played so far, it's not difficult and definitely not to souls level. There is a mechanic that slows time, which charges with attacks, and this ability also heals you. Battles are intense, but not difficult I would say.

Thanks! I just read now there is an easy setting as well, so might pick this up during the week.

Ravelle

Most of my deaths come from falling off wooden beams and tree branches, hate those balance game mechanics in games haha.

I finished For Honor on its hardest difficulty and I'd say the combat in this is a lot more forgiving, loose and accessible. It's mainly parrying and dodging, it's a bit like Metal Gear Rising in that regard, it's a shame it hasn't any finishing moves or dismemberment though.

Slicing up enemies and they just vanish into thin air when they die is a bummer.

Arcteryx

That's what i've been trying to do, but I seem to always collapse like 5 seconds from the door.

Edit: Alright I give up, I don't think this game is for me.

Are you not able to find the path? or? not sure what the issue is. You legit just drop down, and make a S beeline towards the door (start at the bottom of the S, if that makes sense). Don't stop for anything. Just hold run

Most of my deaths come from falling off wooden beams and tree branches, hate those balance game mechanics in games haha.

Exactly. The only death I've had on hard was from a balance beam...and that's because I didn't realize the game even had a balance mechanic. It's that easy of a game. People are just complaining to complain.

Copying from the review thread,

Yo! Can a mod please put this at the top of the thread (or the title lol)?

Permadeath:
* it's not one life
* the game has an easy mode
* it requires a LOT of deaths to trigger (beyond the scope of normal play, you'd honestly have to go out of your way)
* the game "resets" the mechanic based upon checkpoints (it will only allow you to have X amount of the mechanic at certain points, so if you have X+N after entering a new chapter, it will reset to X)
* if all else fails...just cheese your saves

I'm playing on Hard and have died once to a balance beam after 4 hours. And I've also NEVER gotten out of the first 30 minutes of Bloodborne. This game is EASY.

Demption

Also check Brad Shoemakers tweets regarding permadeath. People seem to be really scared when they hear the word permadeath. It really isn't an issue here. Shame if people are pushed away because of that, the game is awesome.

alt27

Are you not able to find the path? or? not sure what the issue is. You legit just drop down, and make a S beeline towards the door (start at the bottom of the S, if that makes sense). Don't stop for anything. Just hold run

Exactly. The only death I've had on hard was from a balance beam...and that's because I didn't realize the game even had a balance mechanic. It's that easy of a game. People are just complaining to complain.

Copying from the review thread,

Thanks, this was the info I was looking for, picking this up now.

That's what I did, the path you're supposed to take is super clear, but she always collapsed a few seconds before the door. I made sure to move as soon as the animation of the fire starting ends and it was never enough. I'm out of deaths so i'll just watch someone play through it sometime, no desire to replay the stuff i've done.

Arcteryx

That's what I did, the path you're supposed to take is super clear, but she always collapsed a few seconds before the door. I made sure to move as soon as the animation of the fire starting ends and it was never enough. I'm out of deaths so i'll just watch someone play through it sometime, no desire to replay the stuff i've done.

I saw someone else post about that section on Reddit. I wonder if it's possibly bugged? or just very slim margin for error?

Whats the GAF consensus on this so far? This game had totally fallen off my radar but now Im interested again. I loved Heavenly Sword and think its one of the underrated gems on the PS3, if that's comparable at all.

Wozman23

I'm not a fan of permadeath or roguelike features, but after an hour with the game, I don't see it being a major concern. Everything here is fairly straight forward and the combat is fair.

Comparing it to the Soulsbourne games is a bit silly. I've tried a few times to get into those games - originally with Demon's Souls and then with Bloodbourne - but gave up after a few hours of making no progress and feeling directionless.

With Hellblade so far, there's a linear progression pushing you and the combat encounters align more with the typical action hack-and-slash type of game.

It'd be a disservice to hamstring it by placing too much emphasis on the terms "permadeath" and "Soulsbourne."

drotahorror

Kind of ridiculous that I kill
Surt
and then have to backtrack through the entire area now?

I watched a video and a door was open after the player killed the boss. In my game the door is not open, I'm now backtracking the entire level hoping I can leave.

This is the door that's supposed to be open, but not for me

http://i.imgur.com/3OET9Ir.jpg

*Backtracking did work though and I'm making my way in the second area now.

Arcteryx

Kind of ridiculous that I kill
Surt
and then have to backtrack through the entire area now?

I watched a video and a door was open after the player killed the boss. In my game the door is not open, I'm now backtracking the entire level hoping I can leave.

This is the door that's supposed to be open, but not for me

http://i.imgur.com/3OET9Ir.jpg

AFAIR, I went across that bridge, dropped down, and opened it from the other side pre-fight.

I thought it was a "requirement" to open the boss door...but maybe not?

edit: cool, glad backtracking worked!

Vlightray

Wow stunning game and loved the first fire boss! Really happy a Ninja Theory exists keep it up will continue when more time. Plays great on my Gtx1060 1080p.

Audio is a highlight and graphics the part at the beach in the beginning is lifelike in spots!

Arcteryx

@SunhiLegend: get some gifs of
the flower field part
please! I felt some serious Red Dead Redemption level of feels at that moment.

drotahorror

AFAIR, I went across that bridge, dropped down, and opened it from the other side pre-fight.

I thought it was a "requirement" to open the boss door...but maybe not?

edit: cool, glad backtracking worked!

Oh yeah, I was on the other side of that at one point I believe. Weird that I didn't open it.

I'm sort of glad I did the right side area first, because this second area is bonkers, very interesting and almost creepy.

A patch has rolled out on Steam, not sure what it is.

And to the person asking about xb1 controller right stick not working, I'm having no issues. Have used xb1 and ds4 and no problems yet. Game does not support dinput natively though which is a bummer since it's a PS4/PC title.

Also, I'm using a 5.1 setup for audio, haven't tried headphones. Does the game favor the left ear? Cuz I get lots of left speaker audio. I just ask because it said something about using headphones for the binaural audio or something and i'm not sure what that is, I'm assuming some sort of virtual surround.

Arcteryx

Oh yeah, I was on the other side of that at one point I believe. Weird that I didn't open it.

I'm sort of glad I did that area first, because this second area is bonkers, very interesting and almost creepy.

A patch has rolled out on Steam, not sure what it is.

And to the person asking about xb1 controller right stick not working, I'm having no issues. Have used xb1 and ds4 and no problems yet. Game does not support dinput natively though which is a bummer since it's a PS4/PC title.

Also, I'm using a 5.1 setup for audio, haven't tried headphones. Does the game favor the left ear? Cuz I get lots of left speaker audio.

It seems to, slightly. Some of the effects (like walking through water), definitely tend to favor left/left-rear.

Filben

Oh boy, discussions in the Steam forums are all over the place. Why do some people get access to the internet?

Besides, did anyone manage to get Nvidia's DSR to work? I can *select* 4k resolution but it won't apply. None above 1080p/native res works. Setting my desktop resolution higher, which worked for Enslaved, doesn't help either. I have plenty of performance left and want to play in 4k. Any advice?

drotahorror

To clarify, I'm using headphones.

It's definitely noticeable along the shoreline/puddles. The voices seem pretty well balanced to me.

They weren't kidding when they said to use headphones. It's mixed much better for stereo than a 5.1 home theatre setup. Unfortunate really.

Besides, did anyone manage to get Nvidia's DSR to work? I can *select* 4k resolution but it won't apply. None above 1080p/native res works. Setting my desktop resolution higher, which worked for Enslaved, doesn't help either. I have plenty of performance left and want to play in 4k. Any advice?

Doesn't work for me either. I can apply 4k but the game's not actually rendering in 4k. Using fullscreen of course.

rtcn63

Is the writing subtle or is it overly on-the-nose? Like YA-levels. I actually want to try this game even if I know the combat and difficulty will disappoint me.

Top Bottom