• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 being teased on twitter. Possibly at Sony event tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cragarmi

wAYTEkb.png

DeepSpace5D

It would make sense. It has been over 6 years since Arrowhead released Helldivers, and we know they’ve been working on a next-gen coop shooter.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
*smiles freedomly*

I miss typing out stupid shit like that while frantically trying to survive with three strangers. Rolling around in someone's tank, marching about in one of the mech suits, dishing out rocket launchers for everyone. Good times.

The first is so much fun (too bad it's impossible to find anyone match making these days, in my experience anyways).

CamHostage

Is a really fun co-op twin stick shooter. Bit old now tho.

Oh, I forgot that there was even a Vita version of this game. Man, I regret not getting that now, it seems like something I really would have enjoyed on a portable (and I had been in love with the idea of everywhere-crossplay since seeing the sadly cancelled Rune/Warrior's Lair.) Too late to hope Vita could get in on the sequel...

Will check out Helldivers 2, hopefully tomorrow. Arrowhead do good stuff.

Shubh_C63

The game was perfect coop experience but way too difficult. The controls were tough for me, thanks for steam returns.

yurinka

The State of Play was supposed to be about 3rd party games and this one is published by Sony, so 1st party ( or 2nd).

Last edited:

Holammer

The State of Play was supposed to be about 3rd party games and this one is published by Sony, so 1st party ( or 2nd).
A guess, but it's possible they just handled publishing and did not provide major funding for development.
Putting the game in a quantum state of first, second and third party status.

reksveks

Possible that Sony decided to not publish this one, it wouldn't be the first time for the industry. But we will see soon.

yurinka

Possible that Sony decided to not publish this one, it wouldn't be the first time for the industry. But we will see soon.
A guess, but it's possible they just handled publishing and did not provide major funding for development.
Putting the game in a quantum state of first, second and third party status.
Helldivers is a Sony IP, if there is a sequel coming Sony will fund and publish it.

Sony doesn't own Arrowhead, so it would count as a 1st party game developed by a 3rd party studio (a 2nd party game). So even if 1st party it could count as 3d party too.

Last edited:

Holammer

OP forgot to mention that Helldivers's twitter account is posting a thread with a bunch of binary code.
Nobody seems to have figured it out yet, knowing the devs? It's probably some obscure Swedish variant.

We had so much fun playing this game with my friends in the early life of PS4!

The game got really hard in the later levels.

Shame that we don't have the time to play together as we had back then.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
OP forgot to mention that Helldivers's twitter account is posting a thread with a bunch of binary code.
Nobody seems to have figured it out yet, knowing the devs? It's probably some obscure Swedish variant.

This looks like ASCII. I don't have time to decipher it but it's just a matter of time until someone does.

yurinka

I know but within the premise was that Sony let go or sold the IP (not sure how valuable it is for them) however I suspect that you might be right.
I assume sales weren't huge, but it had an opencritic of 82% (so pretty good reviews). Back then they published it on Steam and it's still there as one of the few PC games published by Sony.

Sony allowed Quantic Dream, That Game Company and other small devs who worked for them to publish their games on PC or mobile with other publishers, but Sony still keeps these IPs. In addition to this, all the Sony 2022 games we saw are delayed 2021 titles so they must start announcing games originally planned for 2022 and Hermen sai they would continue releasing smaller games as Astro, Sackboy, Dreams or Concrete Genie. So I think Sony won't have sold Helldivers and Helldivers 2 could be one of their 2022 games.

I think they only sold What Remains of Edith Finch and Rime and was during their development, to allow them to release these games with other publishers. So it's possible they could sell it. But they are the publisher of the game on Steam and PSN, which I think means they didn't sold it.

This looks like ASCII. I don't have time to decipher it but it's just a matter of time until someone does.

Last edited:

NT80

How does it compare to Dead Nation and Alien Nation? I liked Dead Nation but not played much of it's sequel Alien Nation. This is always seemed very similar to those games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How does it compare to Dead Nation and Alien Nation? I liked Dead Nation but not played much of it's sequel Alien Nation. This is always seemed very similar to those games.

I liked it way more than those. Friendly fire + big guns + hard as fuck swarms of enemies. It’s absolute chaos.

Damn I had heard abt this game but didnt know anything abt it till now. Love me some co op so would definitely check out a second Helldivers

Still have the original installed on the Vita & PC, Crossplay has kept the numbers up for a good bug hunt every now and again (Between PS3/PS4/Vita, not sure with PC)

NT80

I liked it way more than those. Friendly fire + big guns + hard as fuck swarms of enemies. It’s absolute chaos.
Sounds great. I had a blast playing Dead Nation in co-op. I think these games are always better when there really tough and force you to work well together.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Hoping this hints at a Helldivers 2 reveal and it marks a big departure from standard co-op gameplay affair. Co-op games need to move on from "shoot waves of enemies while minimally cooperating with 3 other teammates in close proximity."

Arrowhead has been working on this for more than 6 years now.

CamHostage

Looks fun. And this is a Sony game? I've never heard of it and I thought i was clued in!

It's crazy how Helldivers fell under the radar.

Even when it came out and I noticed it on the store and thought about getting it, I don't think I ever saw it promoted that this was by Arrowheard, makers of Magika and the 2014 Gauntlet (btw, there was a Gauntlet in 2014?! It's 4p, top-down, on PC+PS4, it's another one I heard was coming but never heard anybody say anything about it when it released.) And Sony picked it up as a publishing partner (I assume Arrowhead still owns the IP,) they talked a lot about the DLCs for it after launch but otherwise I don't see a lot of awareness campaign for Helldivers. Just feels like one of those games where it just slides off the brain like butter, somehow. Hopefully the sequel makes a stronger impression.

Last edited:
First game was brilliant. Hyped for the 2nd one. I just hope Sony doesn't turn this into another one of their 3rd person, overtheshoulder, cinematic story games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom