• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help!! 2 Xboxes in same house want to use same games

bill0527

Ok, maybe someone can explain so even my highly educated self can understand.... I've done google searches, read reddit forums but for some reason I'm just not understanding what to do. I think I'm confusing a lot of the terminology.

I have 2 Xboxes.

I use an Xbox One X on my main TV.

I have an Xbox One S that I was going to trade-in, but decided to keep and put on another TV for my 8 year old son to use.

I have 3 gamertags on my One X - my main one with the Live Gold subscription and my son and daughter have gamertags. I have my son and daughter's gamertags set up to use my Live Gold subscription on the One X. My game library is about 70% digital and 30% physical.

I have wiped clean the One S preparing it to trade-in so I'll be starting it as a brand new Xbox. If anyone can help, I'll give GAF gold to you. Someday.

Last edited:

munroe

You need to sign in on the S and set that as your home Xbox. Now anyone who uses the S will get the same games that you own on the X.

You can only share the digital games, not the physical ones.

Last edited:

Bazookaxp

Make your sons Xbox one s your home Xbox so that he is able to play your games without you being logged in. This means he will share Xbox live with you as well. You must be signed in to Xbox live while on the Xbox One X to play games. Other than that you will be all set.

Last edited:

bill0527

Thanks for the replies. If I set the One S as the home Xbox, will I still be able to make digital purchases from my One X or do I have to buy them on his Xbox since its set as the home one? Also, when I set up the One S, all I have to do is sign in with my Live account and my gamertag and purchases should all show up on the One S correct?

munroe

Thanks for the replies. If I set the One S as the home Xbox, will I still be able to make digital purchases from my One X or do I have to buy them on his Xbox since its set as the home one? Also, when I set up the One S, all I have to do is sign in with my Live account and my gamertag and purchases should all show up on the One S correct?

You can still make purchases on the X.

Yep, when you set up the S, just sign in online, set that Xbox as your home Xbox .

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

1) Your account can do what it wants, where it wants, when it wants. It's the "main" account with Gold on it. No limits.

2) For your kids to be able to access all the benefits of your account (Games, Gold etc) then the box they play on needs to be the box that is set as the "Home" console for your Gamertag, which in this case, should be the One S

3) The discs can be played by anyone on any box. But if they want to play online, then they need to play on the box that is your Gamertag's "Home" console

4) All purchases made by your Gamertag will appear automatically either installed or "ready to install" on the box you set as your "Home" box for your gamertag. Which as earlier, should be the One Si f you want your kids to be able to access them.

5) Your kids can also play your games and use Gold on the One X if your gamertag is signed in at the same time as theirs on the One X (or non-Home console). So if you want to split-screen and play online with them on the One X, you can.

Hope all that helps.

Last edited:

hiphopcr

Set up a Gold family account so everyone in the family gets Gold benefits. No more having to buy multiple memberships!

easyheimer

Neo Member
Hmmmm. Interesting. I was always under the impression you wanted to set your main Xbox as your “Home” Xbox. I also have an Xbox One X and S and the X is currently set to my home Xbox. So you’re saying I should set my One S to my home Xbox instead? Would that let my wife be logged into my account and use our services while I’m also logged in downstairs on the X playing games? I had to make a secondary Xbox live account so she can sign on upstairs because it would sign her off of my main account when I logged in and played.

What’s the significance of the “Home” Xbox anyways? Why do they call it that and what exactly is it’s purpose? Would love an explanation as I am unaware.

Thanks in advance!

hiphopcr

Home Xbox means it has all the rights and privileges to the games on it, untethered (even if your internet goes out, even under a different gamertag).

Any other Xbox also has rights and privileges to the games you've purchased so long as you're signed in to your gamertag.

So you want to set the xbox that other people will be using as your Home Xbox. And a second Xbox can be the main Xbox you use with your gamertag.

mboojigga

I think it's just called Xbox Gold Home now. I still am able to setup accounts for my spouse and children under it, I'm just not paying for multiple gold accounts like I used to.

What your describing has nothing to do with having a gold account. That feature is available for anyone with multiple groups which is usually house holds with multiple gamertags. The one person on one Xbox One with a Gold account will allow anyone from anywhere in the world that can log into that Xbox and access games and Gold features.

Dural

I did the same thing, gave my 8yo the old Xbox and replaced with X. I had a hell of a time figuring it out, I was under the impression the X should be the main console. Will try this out tomorrow, he kept logging me out to play when I was watching a movie on Plex.

easyheimer

Neo Member
I did the same thing, gave my 8yo the old Xbox and replaced with X. I had a hell of a time figuring it out, I was under the impression the X should be the main console. Will try this out tomorrow, he kept logging me out to play when I was watching a movie on Plex.

Glad I’m not the only one who was confused. Lol. I will also be doing this tomorrow.

thegreatwb

Neo Member
I wish they still had the old program where you could pay $100 and share Gold with up to 4 xboxs. We have 4 Xboxs in our house but can only log into gold on 2 at a time.

munroe

Hmmmm. Interesting. I was always under the impression you wanted to set your main Xbox as your “Home” Xbox. I also have an Xbox One X and S and the X is currently set to my home Xbox. So you’re saying I should set my One S to my home Xbox instead? Would that let my wife be logged into my account and use our services while I’m also logged in downstairs on the X playing games? I had to make a secondary Xbox live account so she can sign on upstairs because it would sign her off of my main account when I logged in and played.

She still needs her own gamertag. Just read the replies at the top of the page.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Having an issue with Game Pass; got another XBox One S for the missus so she could play games with me from the other room, like she (we) wanted.

Did everything I've read as far as I'm aware.

- My account has several months worth of Game Pass Ultimate.
- I turned off Home console on mine.
- Using my account on hers, I set it to Home console.
- Logged back into mine with her logged into hers.

Results:
- She can access my bought games
- ...access my gold games
- ...even play the game pass games that I downloaded for her while signed in.

ISSUE:
- When she peruses Game Pass, she never gets option to download, just option to join Game Pass, which when clicked will go all the way through to payment options like it's not registering the currently active GPU account privileges. (So if she ever wants to DL anything from Game Pass, she has to log into my account.)

NOTES:
- Both accounts are adult (non-kid) unrestricted accounts.
- Thinking sharing would work I applied the Gold and EA Access codes that came with new console to my account.
- Weirdly, when she loads up the Game Pass games that I DLed for her while I was logged in, the Game Pass logo actually DOESN'T show in the corner of the splash screen (if that could hint at anything).

Is there something I'm missing or is this a known GPU bug? :-/

PS - And yes, have us set as a family on XBox. Seems weird that she can access literally every other account privilege except for being able to download off of Game Pass.

Kagey K

Banned
Having an issue with Game Pass; got another XBox One S for the missus so she could play games with me from the other room, like she (we) wanted.

Did everything I've read as far as I'm aware.

- My account has several months worth of Game Pass Ultimate.
- I turned off Home console on mine.
- Using my account on hers, I set it to Home console.
- Logged back into mine with her logged into hers.

Results:
- She can access my bought games
- ...access my gold games
- ...even play the game pass games that I downloaded for her while signed in.

ISSUE:
- When she peruses Game Pass, she never gets option to download, just option to join Game Pass, which when clicked will go all the way through to payment options like it's not registering the currently active GPU account privileges. (So if she ever wants to DL anything from Game Pass, she has to log into my account.)

NOTES:
- Both accounts are adult (non-kid) unrestricted accounts.
- Thinking sharing would work I applied the Gold and EA Access codes that came with new console to my account.
- Weirdly, when she loads up the Game Pass games that I DLed for her while I was logged in, the Game Pass logo actually DOESN'T show in the corner of the splash screen (if that could hint at anything).

Is there something I'm missing or is this a known GPU bug? :-/

PS - And yes, have us set as a family on XBox. Seems weird that she can access literally every other account privilege except for being able to download off of Game Pass.
My kids have the same issue. The only workaround we found is that my son has to sign into my daughters account to start the game download and then he can sign her out and it will finish downloading and he can play it.

Oddly my gf has no problem downloading Gamepass games even though I’m game sharing with her.

Don’t know why it works for my gf but not my kids.

Top Bottom