• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP!!! Black Spotting on my new PS Vita Screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vMaxx

Hellow fellow Gaffers.

I have just purchased my PS Vita Wifi+3G from Amazon UK.

I am very impressed with the system so far. It's a very nice console.

I have a problem though and I would like to ask for your opinions since the Neogaf answers are vey valid.

When I play my Vita in a dark room, while it loads for example Uncharted, I can clearly see various black spots in the screen. The spots are only visible while the screen of the Vita is black. While playing a game, the dark spots are not visible and they do not affect the colours of the screen or the image quality.

I did a little bit of research in some forums and people said that this is standard in the OLED technology and is not something that it is defective.

Do you have similar experiences with your Vita screens. Did anyone returned back his/her Vita and got a new one without the black spots?

Raonak

Banned
It's normal. OLED screens do that.

My vita does that too. looks sorta greenish(?) with lots of pure black spots around the edges and a large line going through the middle. Can only see in the dark when the screen is mostly black (like you say, at a loading screen)

It's highly likely that even if you returned it and got a new vita, it would get spots soon.

Roxas

Yeah i have like an upside down L shape on my screen. No biggie though, like you said, you only briefly see it during a loading screen or whatever and the only game i have noticed it on is Uncharted too.

Oppo

Geez, some of you are really anxious about your electronics. You already read about the issue so what's the "HELP!!!" all about?

Apparently it's normal although I can't say I've noticed it myself. Maybe I haven't played in a dark enough room.

Eusis

Turn on a light. There, you solved it. Surprised you still made the topic ANYWAY despite all the discussion you saw about it.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Normal part of having an OLED screen. Everyone seems to have the lines in different locations though.

parski

Interesting. I noticed spots on my screen when I was watching a Breaking Bad episode through Remote Play while streaming it to my PS3 from my computer. I figured since there was compression through those devices it was a compression problem.

gkryhewy

Mine has little black spots on the uncharted load screen in a dark room as well. I think it's because of the way the screen is attached to the plastic front of the system. Normal.

Raonak

Banned
Mine has little black spots on the uncharted load screen in a dark room as well. I think it's because of the way the screen is attached to the plastic front of the system. Normal.

I remember reading why it happens- from what I remember; when displaying blacks, the pixels are meant to be "off", so they don't display any colour, ie: they show black.
but some of the pixels retain a small amount of current. so they are slightly illuminated.
this means you have some pixels which are fully black and some pixels which are slightly illuminated(on my screen, it looks like very, very dark green). thus blotches.

it's completely normal, and you only notice it when the screen displays lots of black.

Kyoufu

When I first saw it I freaked out because I paid a lot of money to import it. Then I read about it and it looked like it was just an OLED issue.

vMaxx

Geez, some of you are really anxious about your electronics. You already read about the issue so what's the "HELP!!!" all about?

Apparently it's normal although I can't say I've noticed it myself. Maybe I haven't played in a dark enough room.

I am sorry that I just paid 500 Pounds for Vita, accessories and games and I want it to work properly. Neogaf Is usually the forum that I trust for answers.

the-iek

The first Vita I got had a huge Mura problem, there were lines all over the screen. The new one was better and not that annoying.

For eveyone wondering what we are talking about, here is a picture of the problem I found with Google. I upped the brightness to make it more visable.

9LruZ.png

bs000

I have a nice black bar across the bottom of mine.

Does anyone else get little vertical streaks all up and down the screen? It's especially noticeably on dark colors and I can see them on people's faces in Uncharted. Is that to be expected from OLEDs too?

just to be a pedant, aren't the black bits correct, and the *off black* bits the defect? the screen is supposed to be black when displaying black ;)

big_z

uAPSf.jpg

it's from a problem during manufacturing. possibly from cheaping out on the way the touch screen and oled adhesive is applied. if you want to know for sure ask samsung, they make the oled in the vita. some phones using samsung screens have this problem as well.

Lafazar

As long as it is not as bad as this:

Yes, that's an OLED screen, one of the very earliest models. This happened to me, and from what I could tell all these systems (called Wiz, a Korean Handheld) will suffer this fate eventually due to the manufacture of these particular OLED screens. But I'm sure OLED technology is more reliable now, at least I hope so. I got a replacement for that and that's still working fine.

Durante

These hyper-brightened images give a slightly wrong idea of the issue.

imgp0017wyx12.png

There's a black spot on my Vita display in this image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom