• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help buying a new HDTV for gaming?

HeresJohnny

Buying a TV by eye and brand instead of reading reviews and professional opinions and tests is literally the worst thing you can do.
Eh, ok. He stands just as good a chance at getting a good panel doing that as he does making a thread, and without all the brain poison. But carry on.

He's looking at a $900 dollar TV, you are recommending TV's that cost $2000-$3000. Gotta be realistic here. If money was no option surely he would be buying the 65AG9 [or 65XG950 if not OLED].

JUE4Y3B.jpg

dotnotbot

This guy is biased. He says things like "better, punchier", shows that QLEDs have slightly better color volume (few percent), forgets completely that OLEDs have better contrast, tone mapping (Samsung overbrightens things in HDR and crushes blacks in darker scenes to hide blooming) and so on.

I'm not saying that overall OLED is better than QLED though. It all comes down to preference and money you can spend.

That's why OP shouldn't ask on GAF where he can meet warriors from both sides, instead he should read about how different tehnical parameters affect picture quality and based on PROFESSIONAL reviews and tests choose something that fits bests his use case and personal preferences.

For a brighter environment and watching a lot of TV or using your set as a monitor you will want LED. For a dark, controlled environment you will want OLED for near-reference picture quality, though keep in mind that reference doesn't always look better to your eyes than brighter, oversaturated image.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This guy is biased. He says things like "better, punchier", shows that QLEDs have slightly better color volume (few percent), forgets completely that OLEDs have better contrast, tone mapping (Samsung overbrightens things in HDR and crushes blacks in darker scenes to hide blooming) and so on.

I'm not saying that overall OLED is better than QLED though. It all comes down to preference and money you can spend.

That's why OP shouldn't ask on GAF where he can meet warriors from both sides, instead he should read about how different tehnical parameters affect picture quality and based on PROFESSIONAL reviews and tests choose something that fits bests his use case and personal preferences.
It's more than slightly better
2020_trends.png

He has said that OLED is the best tech for quality in other videos.

The dude's done pro OLED videos too

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm currently looking at buying the Sony Bravia KD65XG81 65 inch 4K UHD, HDR TV as it's on sale for £889.00. I need to replace my old 42" Sony Bravia Bravia KDL-40ex403, which I've been happy with overall other than its inability to mirracast my laptop etc.

I know absolutely zero about tv's, how to compare them or what they need for gaming application and future proofing.

• Does the TV in question have good enough refresh rate/input lag for gaming?
  • Does it have the right updated version of HDMI spec or HDCP version number?
  • Anything that would stop it playing nice with PSVR / PS5 version of PSVR?
  • Can it connect to a pair of Bluetooth headphones?
  • Can it screen mirror wireless from a mobile phone or a Windows 10 laptop?

I suppose another question that is also important is: Have Sony fallen by the wayside for TV's, should I be looking more towards Samsung, LG or HiSense these days?

I would suggest you wait for Bravia XH90, it's said that it'll support full HDMI 2.1 features. Don't rush.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would suggest you wait for Bravia XH90, it's said that it'll support full HDMI 2.1 features. Don't rush.

Sony supports Dolby Vision in its TV's, so expect PS5 to do as well. Samsung only supports HDR10+, not sure if supported next gen, better wait than be sorry.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's more than slightly better
2020_trends.png

He has said that OLED is the best tech for quality in other videos.

The dude's done pro OLED videos too

He also claimed that OLED is a dying tech, which is true, but most of his content was deleted recently due to being hacked. OLED is the best picture quality today, but longevity is its weakness.

Amaranty

I'm waiting for the new Sony 90/900 series but after watching this I am very tempted to go LG C9. It could possibly be "the best" If you can't afford new buy reconditioned. £900 on ebay.

I'm glad that Vincent did a video on this. It's quite remarkable what a hit local dimming takes in game mode on the Q90R.

*plays the tard-trumpet*
I bet your moma bought ya that trumpet. If you want the best you get a smler screen for the money you have which is still bigger that what he has. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME OR DO I NEED TO EXPLAIN AGAIN? If you are legit retarded I apologise and will stop talking like your dumb.

Top Bottom