• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help Get Shirley Curry a Part in Elder Scrolls VI

Humdinger

Fans campaign for Skyrim-playing grandmother to be immortalised in The Elder Scrolls 6
Victory or Sovngarde.

As possibly the coolest grandma on the internet, you may well have already heard of Shirley Curry. She's an 82-year-old YouTuber who primarily records herself playing Skyrim, and has pretty much won the hearts of everyone in the Elder Scrolls community. Referring to her subscribers as "grandkids", she goes out of her way to reply to every comment on her videos, and her let's plays are basically the most wholesome thing you can find on the internet. And, if you still doubted her credentials, last year she even made it into the Guinness World Record book as the oldest video game YouTuber.

Her place at the centre of an internet campaign, however, began after a Reddit user spotted her comment on a YouTube video analysing the comments Pete Hines made to Eurogamer about TES6's release window. "I guess that puts the nail in my coffin," Curry wrote. "When Skyrim 6 comes out I'll be 88! So I probably won't get to play it."

"Evidently, this tugged on the heart strings of many Skyrim fans, some of whom decided to take action. Reddit user phantom-scribbler kicked things off with a post calling for Curry to be added to TES6 as a follower. As highlighted by phantom-scribbler, Bethesda has previously done something similar for Oblivion fan Erik West, who visited the studios shortly before passing away from cancer in May 2011. He was subsequently immortalised in Skyrim as Erik the Slayer, and fans now want something similar for Curry.

"How cool would it be to come across an elderly Breton who wants to kick some ass and asks to come along with you," phantom-scribbler explained. "She takes up [her sword] and puts on some armour, says, "come on, grandson/daughter!" and you're off to tackle whoever gets in your way. Who wouldn't want her as a follower?"

jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...her-to-be-immortalised-in-the-elder-scrolls-6

Here's the petition, if you'd like to help out:

https://www.change.org/p/bethesda-g...ue-weapon-or-location-in-the-elder-scrolls-vi

Here's where I originally saw it. I thought it was a nice idea and it warmed my heart a little. It reminded me that gaming is filled with some good, kind people.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Union? It's got nothing to do with a union.

Here's her response under the Review Tech video, btw:

"I never thought that such a casually dropped remark would cause such a stir, or resonate so sadly with people. :) But I do love the concern and the love of the people in the gaming community. I have been so blessed to have the sweet and loving subscribers that I have on my channel. Between them and everyone I meet at gaming conventions I have found that gamers are basically great people!! In spite of the trolls and twerps that litter the internet. lol When I first started recording I was being warned of how toxic the internet, and YouTube, was, but it wasn't long until my channel became a wonderful place to be. I've made friends there; had young people tell me their troubles; laugh and cry with them; and chat the day away. And I"m glad that I make so many of them happy. Whether I get to play ES6 or not, I still have my beautiful Skyrim, and still have many stories in my head to tell, so I have more than enough to keep me busy. lol"

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Man, when I get to the age of 70+, I want to be like her.
Well, I guess I won't be a woman. But, then again, never say never!

Mr Hyde

She´s awesome. I´ve seen a couple of her videos and it warms my heart to see an old lady such as her be so passionate about games. I hope I game when I´m 80. I think will. Haven´t quit yet.

Kreydo

I tried to make my bored grandma who watch dumb TV show(despite being a very clever woman) all days to play some easy and narrative video game, but no she's to refractory.

Anyway about Shirley Curry, If Bethesda don't do it, modder will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom