• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help... how to turn OFF the progressive scan on PS2 movies?

shpankey

not an idiot
Long story short. Brother brought over his PS2, we hooked it up with some component cables on my HDTV and when playing a DVD movie on it, I went into the DVD options (while the movie was playing) and set it to progressive scan.

He took his PS2 home to his normal non hdtv TV and now he can't view movies (just gets a black screen, with sound). I am guessing this is because it is outputting in progressive scan.

How can he reset the DVD settings or somehow turn the progressive scan off for his movies (his games play fine)???? Help!

uuse the standard yellow, white, red cables and adjust the setting back to non-progressive that way.. once done re-connect it with components.

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, that's the thing. He is using the standard cables and is not getting a picture at all. He doesn't have component cables (I had a pair I used on my hdtv to get PS).

neptunes

1. stop the ps2
2. un-plug the RCA cables (or RGB if used)
3. un-plug the power cable
4. pick up your ps2

5. put it somewhere else

ge-man

Try this--Take the green component cable and plug that into the yellow composite connector. You should get a black and white image--enough to change your settings if you goofed up. This is something that has worked for me with the Xbox and I suspect that the PS2 is no different.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
neptunez, the king of not funny....

Anyways, the dirty way to do it - just tell him to bring it back to your place, so that you can change the option.

ge-man

shpankey said:
That's not really an option though Marco. Any other ideas?

Look at my previous post. That should work and your brother shouldn't have to make a trip to your place to fix anything.

shpankey

not an idiot
ge-man said:
Look at my previous post. That should work and your brother shouldn't have to make a trip to your place to fix anything.

He doesn't have a component cable though... he just has the regular composite cable that came with the system.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
If this is the new 50001 PS2 model, then first off in the system config menu output to composite only instead of RGB. Then when playing a movie, stop the movie press select to go to the select menu and there is an option to turn on/off progressive scan for movies. Should work out fine.

shpankey

not an idiot
Defensor said:
If this is the new 50001 PS2 model, then first off in the system config menu output to composite only instead of RGB. Then when playing a movie, stop the movie press select to go to the select menu and there is an option to turn on/off progressive scan for movies. Should work out fine.

Yes, but he can't see the option because there is no picture. It's a catch 22, if you follow me. We can't see a picture to turn off the setting which makes it where we can't see the picture.

jwang

here is the DVD player progressive scan reset trick:
- place DVD video disc in the PS2
- press the RESET button
- hold down the START button on controller 1 until the DVD picture shows up
this is described on pg 28 of the 50001 Instruction Manual.

also, since the initial OSD (On Screen Display) / Browser is always in 480i , he can also use the OSD to change the DVD progressive option:
- press Triangle to enter the Version screen
- select DVD Player, press Triangle for Options
- disable Progressive Scan.
this is described on pg 15 of the 50001 Instruction Manual.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you have the same PS2 model, power it on, and record on paper what button presses you need to do to get to the progressive scan option and disable it. Then walk him through the button sequence as he presses it blindly.

If you don't have the same PS2 model, I hope someone here can do that for you. I would, but I'm at the work at the moment.

*edit* I guess this crap method won't be needed now :p

shpankey

not an idiot
cool, thanks guys... i'll get him to try that tonight.

Marco, actually, just in case the other way doesn't work, it would be awesome if you would give me the button presses too. Thanks again, you guys have been really great! I appreciate this very much.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, here's the button sequence to revert back to interlaced DVD mode (however, when you get to change the setting from OFF to ON, it clearly tells you that you can do the holidng START button trick to override this setting!)

Let the movie start playing, then press

O, SELECT
UP, RIGHT, X
RIGHT, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
X, DOWN, X

At that point it switches to interlaced mode, and you can resume the movie playback,

I have even set the DVD player to prog scan mode and disabled it this way (my TV, although regular, still can stomach the progressive scan input, it just displays the distorted picture, but it's perfectly readable and recognizable)

shpankey

not an idiot
Thanks guys... we got it fixed by doing the...

also, since the initial OSD (On Screen Display) / Browser is always in 480i , he can also use the OSD to change the DVD progressive option:
- press Triangle to enter the Version screen
- select DVD Player, press Triangle for Options
- disable Progressive Scan.

...way you laid out for us. Although it said "reset progressive settings" (or something similar) instead of "disable PS". Nevertheless, we got it done. :) Appreciate all the help you two!

Top Bottom