• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose: Skyrim vs Witcher 3 vs Fallout: New Vegas

I want to start a large open world rpg in the coming weeks and have it narrowed down to (probably) one of these 3 games. Last time I made one of these threads it was to pick a shooter and came away with Titanfall 2 which was awesome... so here we are.

I'm looking for something with awesome story, side quests, exploration, and customization.

Some background - I've played Fallout 3 and 4 and loved the setting, atmosphere, and exploration. I'm just worried that New Vegas on my Xbox One (via 360 bc) might look like shit and be a buggy mess.

I also love games like Breath of the Wild and GTA 5

Otherwise, I've heard nothing but good things about Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

Which should I pick?

I would reccomend New Vegas or Witcher 3 for a long game where you can be invested in the story other than an also excellent (so superior in W3) sense of exploration.

If I was in your place and was going to chose one to experience all over I would definetely pick Witcher 3, though.

That game really is something else.

Waiting for the PS4 Pro patch to start a new playthrough.

Jawmuncher

I mean you could get Witcher 3 GOTU Edition for like less than $30 bucks right now. New Vegas on sale is even cheaper. I’d say from what you listed witcher 3 would give you the newest style experience.

You played Fallout 3 and 4 so you know what to expect from new Vegas and Skyrim. Just more of that with one not having guns, vats, and in a different setting.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Witcher 3 is easily the best of those 3 IMO. It has tons of quests, way better main story than each of those games IMO. It has enough customization to satisfy you most likely. It's one of the 5 best games I've ever played and has such a rich and engaging story with some of the best characters ever and beautiful world. I'd play that and also all the DLC expansions.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Can't go wrong with any of these games. You've got fantastic gaming ahead of you. My personal recommendation would be Skyrim, since you are a Bethesda fan. It'll tick the same boxes but with a much more beautiful and richer world.

ST2K

Witcher 3 is a clear nod for story and side quests. Exploration and customization are more New Vegas and Skyrim's neighborhood, but I'd still go with Witcher 3.

New Vegas isn't a great experience without PC mods to fix it, in my opinion. And while Skyrim is great, it's extremely lackluster in the story department, so I'm not sure it fits what you're looking for.

Swarley

I love Skyrim and New Vegas... But The Witcher 3 is in a league of its own. Absolutely brilliant game. Such a beautiful word, side quests that make main quests in other games look dull, and a fantastic story. Play the expansions as well.

Late Flag

Put me down for New Vegas. Witcher was fine, but I like building my own character and doing my own thing, and The Witcher isn't really about that the same way that Fallout is.

New Vegas. For me, it has the best of nearly all of your criteria. Fantastic story (so good you'll want to complete multiple times for all the factions, but you don't have to ofc), side quests are great and often hilarious, and the exploration is pretty awesome too, so many cool and unique locations to discover.

Also, afaik the BC version of New Vegas runs absolutely fine, not heard anyone having issues with it personally

Tygamr

Fallout: New Vegas. Probably my favorite RPG. Haven’t played Witcher 3 yet though, and everyone seems to love it.

Skyrim. Witcher 3 had too much dialogue, weird tank controls, and combat was same-y throughout. Not to say Skyrim was radically different but you had choices beyond use this sword and spam and roll.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’ve put over 200 hours in each of them, over 400 in Skyrim.

My opinion? Skyrim is the game of forever for me, I can go back to it anytime and love it

Witcher 3 is incredbable, but once your done with it, your done (though it will take you over 100 hours to be done, so that’s not a negative)

New Vegas is great but the most dated. I have a hard time going back to it now.

Witcher 3 is superior in everyway. Amazing story and characters. Some of the best side quests in an RPG. Best open world to date.

I've put over 200 hours in each of them, over 400 in Skyrim.

My opinion? Skyrim is the game of forever for me, I can go back to it anytime and love it

Witcher 3 is incredbable, but once your done with it, your done (though it will take you over 100 hours to be done, so that's not a negative)

New Vegas is great but the most dated. I have a hard time going back to it now.

100 hours?? I have 500 hours in TW3 and still finding new sidequests to do lol.

You can't choose between 3 good games! Just pick one and start.

PS
Put New Vegas in the middle as the setting is different. For the sake of variation.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I haven't played Skyrim or Witcher 3, but I can vouch for New Vegas.

I had never played an open world western rpg before that. Its very accessible and easy to grasp while simultaneously still offering a lot of intricate character/stat building. Its kind of in a middle area between hardcore and casual.

I've heard that the 360 version is better than PS3. It will look like shit on your xbox one but at least it will be a functional videogame unlike the PS3 version lol

Netprints

Witcher 3. Became one of my favorite games of all time. Never played 1 or 2. I also enjoy skyrim and fallout but TW3 made me care about the characters in that world. Also the dlc is the best additional content a studio has offered.

dlauv

TW3. If you like that and think you can handle more jank and more open-ended mechanics, go for FO:NV.

Skyrim for when you want to podcast or something.

g11

The Witcher 3. NV is really good but I think the expansions for TW3 puts it over the top in the content/story department. All of them have kind of clunky combat in their own way so they're all pretty equal in that regard. Skyrim is fine but it's story is the worst of the three.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
One thing that should be mentioned here for OP, is that I guess that a lot of the people not recommending Skyrim also probably think that F3 and 4 are trash, which are two games the OP loved. Bethesda RPGs aren't exactly beloved by a big portion of Gaffers. Which is fine, but keep that in mind.

Out of those 3, they are all great games, but I'd highly recommend NV. The world, choices, and actual RPG-ness of it is unparalleled. Especially if you like F3 and F4. IMO NV is vastly superior in virtually every way.

Witcher 3 is also a great choice, but I'd definitely rank Skyrim at the bottom of the list.

If you're looking for a good open-world to explore go with Skyrim, especially the remastered version.

If you're looking for guns and quests that have multiple paths/endings go with NV.

If you're looking to get invested in characters and story go with TW3.

That's the basic gist of the three. Most people are saying TW3 but I enjoyed exploring more in Skyrim when I first played that compared to TW3, even though I'd say TW3 is the better game. Based on what you wrote about Fallout 3 and 4's atmosphere I think you'll appreciate Skyrim more on a first playing. It's a great game to walk around in.

What would you be playing Skyrim on if you chose it?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Witcher 3 is incredbable, but once your done with it, your done (though it will take you over 100 hours to be done, so that's not a negative)

Nah, I finished my first run (150 hours) last week and just started a new playthrough so I can roleplay as Scumbag Geralt with a completely different build.

megalowho

Witcher 3. Awesome story and lore check, varied and interesting side quests check, open world exploration check. Customization maybe not as much as a blank slate RPG but there's plenty of loot and crafting to mess with. Beautiful looking and sounding game too, artistically and mechanically cohesive. All very good RPG's, but Witcher 3 gets my vote.

senj

Witcher 3 is probably the best open-world RPG ever made. New Vegas is certainly my pick for the best modern Fallout, and one of Obsidian's best games. Skyrim is certainly popular, but Bethesda games aren't my cup of tea.

For me, Witcher 3 > New Vegas >> Skyrim.

Unless you're super into Bethesda's style of game and not necessarily concerned about the attendant writing and jank, then you might enjoy Skyrim more.

Keasar

I'm looking for something with awesome story, side quests, exploration, and customization.

Skyrim eliminated before OP post ended.

Here is my suggestion, if you play on consoles mainly, go with The Witcher 3 Game of the Year edition so you get all the DLCs etc. Its the game that works best out of the box. It has excellent stories, great (and I mean GREAT side quests), tons of exploration and customization of your character, exactly all what you want.

If you have a PC and am not averse to do some modding, Fallout: New Vegas is excellent. I say PC and modding cause the game still has some bugs Obsidian didn't get to fix, but there are unofficial patch mods that does it for you. That being said, The Witcher 3 is also great on PC. Fallout: New Vegas offers you tons of stories, well written dilemmas and characters and more.

Skip Skyrim. Only play Skyrim if you play on PC and wanna mod. Like skipping everything Skyrim and playing Enderal instead. Enderal makes Skyrim worth it.

So all in all, play The Witcher 3. If you're after story, you will be hard pressed to find better games. It is teeming with story that is written well, characters you will love and care for, both good and "evil". You will be put into situations where you have to ask yourself if what you're doing is right or not. You will meet characters that will follow you for a long time even after you stop playing. Villains who you can sympathise with cause they are not cookie cutter, out of the textbook example of "bad guy". None of this can be found in Skyrim where the only character I can remember is "there was that dragon".

Blobbers

New Vegas is the game for you, then. Lot's of opportunities to roleplay, lots of customization options with regards to your character build, the exploration is great, the writing and humor are top tier. Most missions can be beaten in several ways, most sidequests are well worth your time. The game sinks its fangs in you and before you know it, you haven't done a main quest in 20 hours. Crazy and colorful characters, factions stemming from wildly different cultures, New Vegas stands at the top of the RPG pile. [In the future, New Vegas will be one of those rare games to fit the "If you mention it, someone will reinstall it" meme]

The Witcher 3 has amazing writing and characters, but the open world structure and a lot of gameplay elements feel undercooked. The over-reliance on the witcher sense, and how you'll generally just be going from on map marker to the next to experience the next bit of good writing. The Witcher 3 is not a great RPG as it is a great story stuck in a needlessly bloated AAA open world design. The Witcher 2 had it right with it's large areas. [In the future, The Witcher 3 will not be one of those rare games to fit the "If you mention it, someone will reinstall it" meme, as once you experience the story once, there is not much left there]

1. New Vegas is the best best game. Just prepare yourself for that it doesn't look that great today, and that the start is slow. But if you like how the game is being described to you, power throug. Give it at least 5h.

2. The Witcher III is awesome. It has less agency in actual gameplay then New Vegas, but is still awesome, and more epic. Just be prepared that you will need give at least 60h for a proper playthrough.

3. Skyrim is good, at it's best when you just go for a hike and see what happens. It much less tries to force you to continue on the main path then The Witcher III, and feels awesome when you just enjoy the atmosphere. Held back by the lacklustre writing.

Logistic

Skyrim IMO and it's not even close

For me the combat was incredibly dull in Witcher 3. New Vegas is another fallout game. tons of fun, but it's a fallout game

You can't go wrong with any of them but I would pick either New Vegas or Witcher 3. Of those two I feel Witcher 3 has a better story, and probably side quests. New Vegas has a lot more customization and in my opinion I enjoyed exploring it more. However both of them are top 10 games for me, perhaps even top 5.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Witcher 3, but then again, NV and Skyrim are both amazing too (NV has far better stories, Skyrim has better exploration though).

It's a win/win/win situation you're in here: definitely play all 3 eventually.

Top Bottom