• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me pick a phone gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I just moved to South Korea 4 weeks ago and now I can finally get a phone thanks to my ARC card finally arriving. I can't decide which phone to get. It's between the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Iphone 4s and the Samsung LTE II HD. Can anyone tell me which phone is the best.

Kyou

can't go wrong between the nexus and 4s, just pick which ecosystem you want to chain yourself to

Qasiel

old_telephone.jpg

Old is the new New.

Serious answer though, I'm happy with my iPhone. I find it a bit easier to use than my gf's Galaxy.

If you like iOS then wait for the iPhone 5. If you like Android or are willing to try it out, get the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus phones are the Android flagships and the iPhone is the only phone that runs iOS and is thus the flagship by default. Both of these flagship lines are updated ~annually, with major upgrades happening ~every two years (iPhone 3G --> 4 --> 5 / Nexus One --> Galaxy Nexus). The in between years see step increases (3GS --> 4S / Nexus S). If you're a normal consumer, it makes sense to purchase one of the major upgrades, keep it two years, and then purchase the next major upgrade ad infinitum.

So basically, GN >>> 4S in terms of freshness/sexiness because the GN is a major upgrade while the 4S is a minor upgrade. Major usually implies design overhaul in some sense. If you're platform agnostic it simply makes no sense to tie yourself to the 4S for two years over the GN. The 4S will quickly be thoroughly outshined by the 5 whereas the GN will still feel quite fresh 21 months from now.

Just think of it like buying a new car as soon as its design is refreshed instead of 3 years into the product cycle.

Full disclosure: proud owner of both a launch day Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
iPhone 4S unless you hate Apple.

I don't know if you're learning/know Korean, but you'll have a lot more Korean support with the iPhone, too.

Ok so I am a noob when it comes to smartphones other than the Iphone. What is the storage of the Nexus and is there a memory card slot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so I am a noob when it comes to smartphones other than the Iphone. What is the storage of the Nexus and is there a memory card slot.

No removable storage for the Galaxy Nexus... which is insane considering what Android is supposed to be about. You can still hook it up via USB and put stuff on it, though.

I think it comes in 16GB and 32GB models, but I'm not sure.

Bgamer90

Banned
Both are great.

If you want entertainment on the go, get the iPhone.

If you care a lot about customization, get the Nexus.

Plasmid

Ok so I just moved to South Korea 4 weeks ago and now I can finally get a phone thanks to my ARC card finally arriving. I can't decide which phone to get. It's between the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Iphone 4s and the Samsung LTE II HD. Can anyone tell me which phone is the best.

4S and jailbreak it.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
N-Gage's are pretty cheap now and you can play Tomb Raider on it.

But you gotta take the battery out to put the game in that is the one down fall. Everytime I make a long call and want to change the game I always turn the phone off.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Nexus. Galaxy S II doesn't do ICS even half as well as the Nexus.

Iphone if you are already tied into the apple ecosystem.

G2X ONLY because I've dropped this phone on the freeway and it still survived.

All because I chased a car while I drunk and launched the phone in the air and it survived.

All because my phone flew into a vehicle I was working on while trying to break dance - it survived. Plus many more stories but the phone has survived it all in the end. I love it!

I've had similar stories with my ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco, it's survived falling into the toilet, being dropped multiple times and numerous other things that would probably break a normal phone. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom