• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help removing xbox live account from hotmail account

thenexus6

I am looking on the xbox support page, but its not making much sense to me..

Basically my primary hotmail account has my old xbox live account which I have not used in about 6 years. I plan on getting an xbox one later this year and would like to create a new gamertag with that email address.

How do I remove this old xbox account completely from my hotmail?

glaurung

I am looking on the xbox support page, but its not making much sense to me..

Basically my primary hotmail account has my old xbox live account which I have not used in about 6 years. I plan on getting an xbox one later this year and would like to create a new gamertag with that email address.

How do I remove this old xbox account completely from my hotmail?
Not possible as far as I know.

You need to go through Xbox Support and they will tell you no just the same.

If you want to create a new account, it's much easier to create a new @outlook.com/@live.com mail address.

I'm also interested on this. Wanna transfer my gamertag from hotmail to gmail. Any help will be much appreciated

NINJA EDIT: Can't do. ok

Tailzo

I tested my moms windows phone, and to help her download apps, I added my hotmail account to temporarily help her. But I can't remove it.

Really annoying. She gets my contacts and gets confused all the time.

Create another live account and move your current profile over to that which frees up your primary email for a new account.

I've done it before

thenexus6

Create another live account and move your current profile over to that which frees up your primary email for a new account.

I've done it before

Is it possible to do that all via web? I don't have the xbox yet, but would like to have the accounts setup ready.

Podge293

set up a new email, transfer ownership of the old account to that new email, close that email account and then your old email will be free...

i have done this as me and my bro shared an account (under his email) then i wanted to take ownership and he's subsequently set up an account on the previously used email

probably quicker to contact support though, their twitter support is surprisingly good

edit: didn't even see dreadnought there... s/he's 100% on the ball

Is it possible to do that all via web? I don't have the xbox yet, but would like to have the accounts setup ready.

Go to xbox.com and sign in
>Open My Account
>Click on Security
>Open Change security info
>Go to Your Info

From there you should be able to change what email is linked to your xbox

I've tried doing the same thing, being that my hotmail hasn't been used in years and I'm sure Xbox support told me that it can't be done.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You can. Just login at login.live.com with your current information and their should be an area called Manage Your Sign In email address. Select that. Then it will probably ask you to verify your account with a code, do that. Then Add email alias, and make the new email you add the primary alias. That will make it the main sign in for your gamer tag and entire Microsoft account.

You can add whatever email address you want, so long as it isn't not currently attached to another Microsoft account/gamer tag.

Now if you want to move your current Microsoft account to another existing Microsoft account, you can do that from the Xbox 360

thenexus6

He's telling me about creating a new hotmail / outlook to move my old gamertag to - however I don't have any Xbox systems in my house so he's seeing if it can be done via web.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is it possible to change the email address that you use to actually sign in to your account?

Yeah. Actually my post is more about doing that than what the OP is asking. The OP wants to free up his email to a new gamer tag, that can be done from the Xbox 360. Changing just the login email can be done on login.live.com

thenexus6

Xbox chat guy sent me this

James: at 13:17:04
Found the answer but it's tricky, it will require a lot of your patience

http://support-origin.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/errors/error-code-80154013

Apparently I need my original email, and two dummy accounts. All because I don't have an xbox 360 to transfer it over.

Edit:

James: at 13:24:20
I think we have a little problem. Just now I reviewed the document, and it seems that, that still should be created using Xbox 360. Then I looked again on our policy database, I found out that moving of gamertag can only be done using Xbox 360 and it is not available to PC and Xbox one.

I guess I need to find a 360 to use to clear up this mess then.

jelly

Your options.

1. To unlink your Xbox Live Gamertag from a Microsoft ID (@hotmail, @outlook etc.) and transfer to another Microsoft ID you can only do it via an Xbox 360 console.

2. If you want to change your Microsoft ID currently linked to your Xbox Live Account, you can do that via Microsoft account options. Create an alias 'Your new preferred Microsoft ID" then make that alias the Primary ID which is turn makes your old Microsoft ID an alias which can be kept or deleted.

You need to do the first option unless Xbox One actually supports it like 360 does.

The nuclear option is as follows.

Follow number 2, make an alias, change primary etc. then delete the email address you actually want to use. In 30 days, that email address will become available again for you or anyone to snap up but it gives you the ability to attach a fresh gamertag to the email address you want to use. A risk, a bother but an option if Xbox support can't do it or Xbox One doesn't get that 360 account swap option. Use at your own risk.

thenexus6

Your options.

1. To unlink your Xbox Live Gamertag from a Microsoft ID (@hotmail, @outlook etc.) and transfer to another Microsoft ID you can only do it via an Xbox 360 console.

2. If you want to change your Microsoft ID currently linked to your Xbox Live Account, you can do that via Microsoft account options. Create an alias 'Your new preferred Microsoft ID" then make that alias the Primary ID which is turn makes your old Microsoft ID an alias which can be kept or deleted.

You need to do the first option unless Xbox One actually supports it like 360 does.

The nuclear option is as follows.

Follow number 2, make an alias, change primary etc. then delete the email address you actually want to use. In 30 days, that email address will become available again for you or anyone to snap up but it gives you the ability to attach a fresh gamertag to the email address you want to use. A risk, a bother but an option if Xbox support can't do it or Xbox One doesn't get that 360 account swap option. Use at your own risk.

I am not sure if I can do that second option, I mean all my emails and other accounts are linked to it so I don't see how that'll all work with it going offline for 30 days.

jelly

Yeah, it's a last resort option. You're basically screwed until Xbox One supports the swap like 360 does, I imagine they will though so if your in no rush wait it out.

If you must have the gamertag now or whenever, just create a new Microsoft ID, sign up and do the three way switcharoo when Microsoft support the swap feature on Xbox One.

Lastly, if you're thinking of doing it on a friends 360 or even buying a 360, once you download your profile to the 360, you need to wait 30 days until you can do the Microsoft ID switch. Stuff like adding payment options also resets the 30 days. Hope that helps you out.

thenexus6

So I just got my old fat xbox 360 back with 60GB hard drive. Since I had to transfer the account over I have to wait 30 days (as mentioned in this thread).. and have a active gold membership and one billing method attached. So I now I just have to wait for 30 days then I can do it.

They don't make this stuff easy do they.

Top Bottom