• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP, RTX 3080 TI not working in new build!

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
So i just build a completely new pc with the specs below
- GIGABYTE RTX 3080 ti EAGLE
- ASUS TUF GAMING z590 PLUS
- Intel i7 11700K
- ASUS ROG STRIX LC240 RGB
- Corsair obsidian 500D RGB SE
- Corsair RM850X
- 3 X Corsair LL120 RGB fans
- 4 X 8gb 3200 G.Skill Trident Z Royal
- and my old 1tb Samsung 970 evo plus coming from my old computer with windows on it (980 pro on the way!)

So i plugged everything correctly, and when i put the hdmi cable in my GPU hdmi ports the pc boots i see the loading screen but after that i have no signal while the pc is still working. When i try the HDMI from the motherboard everything works. I tried everything uninstalling all the drivers unplugging the rams sticks and gpu. When i plug it on the motherboard and i go to system hardware i can see that it detects the 3080 ti and even the Nvidia driver update recognizes it, but i can't use it. It also gets hot because the fans don't spin, they only spin 5 sec when i boot the pc. I have also taken out the battery of the motherboard and waited 5 min for it to reset the motherboard, but still nothing. Also this was not my first build, previously build 3 computers so its not something new to me. But i never had a problem like this before and don't know what to do now. Any help will be appreciated!

Buggy Loop

PSU 8 pin connectors, you used separate cables to separate PSU outputs correct? No Y-splitter like the typical GPU cables that come with the PSU which splits near the end?

If you have another build with a working GPU, try swapping in the 3080ti to a system you know works and try the swap-out GPU in the new build.

Based on what you’re describing my guess is the GPU isn’t getting enough power draw if the fans aren’t spinning and there’s no output signal. Just a hunch.

Turk1993

Can you try it with a different display?

Can you take pictures of the build?
I will post some pictures in 5min, and the display is a LG C9 work on all the hdmi ports so thats not the issue i think.

PSU 8 pin connectors, you used separate cables to separate PSU outputs correct? No Y-splitter like the typical GPU cables that come with the PSU which splits near the end?
yes, 2 seperate 8 pin connectors

If you have another build with a working GPU, try swapping in the 3080ti to a system you know works and try the swap-out GPU in the new build.

Based on what you’re describing my guess is the GPU isn’t getting enough power draw if the fans aren’t spinning and there’s no output signal. Just a hunch.
I have a GTX 1080 somewhere in the garage but need to search for it.

PaintTinJr

So i just build a completely new pc with the specs below
- GIGABYTE RTX 3080 ti EAGLE
- ASUS TUF GAMING z590 PLUS
- Intel i7 11700K
- ASUS ROG STRIX LC240 RGB
- Corsair obsidian 500D RGB SE
- Corsair RM850X
- 3 X Corsair LL120 RGB fans
- 4 X 8gb 3200 G.Skill Trident Z Royal
- and my old 1tb Samsung 970 evo plus coming from my old computer with windows on it (980 pro on the way!)

So i plugged everything correctly, and when i put the hdmi cable in my GPU hdmi ports the pc boots i see the loading screen but after that i have no signal while the pc is still working. When i try the HDMI from the motherboard everything works. I tried everything uninstalling all the drivers unplugging the rams sticks and gpu. When i plug it on the motherboard and i go to system hardware i can see that it detects the 3080 ti and even the Nvidia driver update recognizes it, but i can't use it. It also gets hot because the fans don't spin, they only spin 5 sec when i boot the pc. I have also taken out the battery of the motherboard and waited 5 min for it to reset the motherboard, but still nothing. Also this was not my first build, previously build 3 computers so its not something new to me. But i never had a problem like this before and don't know what to do now. Any help will be appreciated!
Does the motherboard bios (advanced, not Ez bios, or whatever ASUS calls it) have a setting to specify whether to use integrated graphics as primary output or external GPU?

Alternatively, put a second hdmi lead into the GPU - and a 2nd hdmi port on the mTV/monitor - while booting up with the first hdmi attached to motherboard, and then when getting into windows, press start button + P, and select duplicate screens, and then switch TV hdmi to see if it displays from the other TV input.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you can see the boot screen that usually means Windows is switching to a resolution your monitor cannot display.

I think you can press F12 while booting to choose a low resolution mode for trouble shooting

Turk1993

Can you try it with a different display?

Can you take pictures of the build?
OThD4pj.jpg

7xvwNtD.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Did you plug the display cable in your GPU and not in your motherboard ?
ah you did,

easy check is to yeah swap gpu’s
i had a faulty 2070s a while ago and this simple check saved me a lot of time

Last edited:

Turk1993

If you can see the boot screen that usually means Windows is switching to a resolution your monitor cannot display.

I think you can press F12 while booting to choose a low resolution mode for trouble shooting
Will give this a try!

Does the motherboard bios (advanced, not Ez bios, or whatever ASUS calls it) have a setting to specify whether to use integrated graphics as primary output or external GPU?

Alternatively, put a second hdmi lead into the GPU - and a 2nd hdmi port on the mTV/monitor - while booting up with the first hdmi attached to motherboard, and then when getting into windows, press start button + P, and select duplicate screens, and then switch TV hdmi to see if it displays from the other TV input.
I looked up for it but didn't find it, will try this one also.

Spukc

You could do a clean windows just to be sure
i always have shit going wrong in super weird ways when importing to new build.

just make a bootable windows 10 usb stick
licence should be tied to your email anyway..

Last edited:

Turk1993

It worked like a second screen now so the hdmi works but i only see the background, dont see my mouse or windows bar can't do nothign there.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Have you checked in windows if the 3080TI is the primary display driver?

Looks like some Intel integrated graphics thing with that mobo.

Last edited:
I recently built a PC and had trouble getting displayport to work, turns out I had to uppgrade my bios. It was also an Asus motherboard, might be worth a shot to flash it if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Turk1993

You could do a clean windows just to be sure
i always have shit going wrong in super weird ways when importing to new build.

just make a bootable windows 10 usb stick
licence should be tied to your email anyway..
Yeah true but i have too much software installed on my ssd and other thing would be nice if it just worked.

Spukc

Yeah true but i have too much software installed on my ssd and other thing would be nice if it just worked.
I understand this could cross off a lot of other things,,, you don’t have to use it.. just to make sure your 3080ti isnt fucked,

Are you using hdmi or display cable >\ i fucking hate HDMI

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

just a second to late :)
On my old Asus board - not that the Socket/chipset supports CPUs with integrated GPUs - the option would likely be in one of the first three sub menus, after you click on the advanced tab - in your screenshot above.

Also, when it shows a blank screen, that sounds like start + P didn't set it to duplicate, the main screen. You maybe need to right click the desktop using the primary graphics - the integrated GPU - and use Win10 Display settings to get it to clone integrated to your external GPU.

Turk1993

I recently built a PC and had trouble getting displayport to work, turns out I had to uppgrade my bios. It was also an Asus motherboard, might be worth a shot to flash it uf you haven't already.
Yes upgraded to the latest bios

Have you checked in windows if the 3080TI is the primary display driver?

Looks like some Intel integrated graphics thing with that mobo.
This is what i see, because i put 2 HDMI in the pc from the same display it says that IGPU is first display and RTX for second display
uTuuQ7i.jpg

If you move your mouse far up or right does the cursor show on the screen?
I have duplicated the screen so i have full control now but its still not the main source and i don't now if its gonna start properly if i remove the hdmi from the motherboard

Turk1993

On my old Asus board - not that the Socket/chipset supports CPUs with integrated GPUs - the option would likely be in one of the first three sub menus, after you click on the advanced tab - in your screenshot above.

Also, when it shows a blank screen, that sounds like start + P didn't set it to duplicate, the main screen. You maybe need to right click the desktop using the primary graphics - the integrated GPU - and use Win10 Display settings to get it to clone integrated to your external GPU.
Again seconds to late :messenger_tears_of_joy: just did what you said with cloning the display.

Spukc

Yes upgraded to the latest bios

This is what i see, because i put 2 HDMI in the pc from the same display it says that IGPU is first display and RTX for second display
uTuuQ7i.jpg

I have duplicated the screen so i have full control now but its still not the main source and i don't now if its gonna start properly if i remove the hdmi from the

Last edited:

Turk1993

One question, is it normal that the fans don't spin in normal usage outside gaming?

crumbs

One question, is it normal that the fans don't spin in normal usage outside gaming?
Yes, many newer GPUs will have a zero fan setting where the fans don't turn on until the GPU hits a certain temperature threshold. As long as the fans come on when the GPU is under load, you should be fine.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My 3080 doesn't spin often at all at idle. I'm sure you've tried playing something by now. All is well?

Congrats on your rig sir!

Top Bottom