• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help with iPad buying decision

AppleBlade

I have $600 giftcard that I can use at the Apple store and I want to buy an iPad. I can pay out of pocket for anything over the credit.

The primary reason I am getting this iPad is for reading Comic Books and books in bed. I do like to tinker with apps and games but I would not say I am a power user as I'd rather use my Macbook for those types of things. I do family movie editing and

One thing to keep in mind is that I have an M1 Macbook Pro.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I get an Education discount which is minor but I think changes the discussion a little bit (It's only $20 on the entry level iPad but $50 on the above models).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple is currently running a promotion for free Airpods with iPad Air and above models. There is no such promotion for the entry level ipads. Since I have Airpod Pros I would give these to my wife. She is using my ancient OG Airpods that I got when they first came out and the battery life seems to be going.

Here are the models I am considering:
1 - 32 GB iPad Classic ($309)
2. 128 GB iPad Classic ($409)
3. 64 GB iPad Air ($549) (with free AirPods)
4. 256 GB iPad Air ($699) (with free AirPods)
5. 128 GB 11 inch M1 iPad Pro ($749) (with free AirPods)

I think I have ruled out the iPad Classic. I could get the 64 GB iPad Air without having to pay a dime out of pocket and I'm sure it would fit all of my needs but I'm not sure how long 64GB goes nowadays on an iPad. Upgrading to the 256 GB Air will bring a ton of space and have me pay 100 out of pocket ($150 with tax). Upgrading to the new 11 inch M1 iPad Pro would cost me $150 out of pocket ($200 with tax). I am very comfortable with 128GB meeting my needs but on the other hand I think the performance capabilities are overkill for what I want to do.

Thoughts?

to narrow it down, i'd say it's between the 64GB Air and 128GB Pro. it makes no sense to get the 256GB Air with the 128GB iPad Pro only being an extra £20 (i'm in the UK) and you're getting a 120Hz display, face ID, double the RAM (4gb vs 8gb), an M1 SoC, better camera, thunderbolt support.

Only get the 64GB Air if you are 100% sure that it's enough capacity for you. I have a 256GB Pro and so far have only used about 41GB. here is what i have on it:

2i582tW.jpg

ZDpnCi5.jpg

If you're just gonna be reading comics/ebooks with the odd app/game then 64GB should be fine. If you aren't sure 64GB is enough or just want to be future proof then go for the 128GB iPad Pro. you might not need the extra features especially with an M1 macbook but for an extra £20/$50 it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Bite the bullet, get the pro with m1 and bump the storage.

When it comes to ipads, you either just want something to read comics, books and browse the web or you need something you can do things with.

Which means go cheap or go expensive.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I use my Ipad Air 4th gen, I use it for digital art, the screen is a little smaller than I would like but I really enjoy it. I would say the pro might be a little too big for reading comics the air might be more comfortable for you.

TrueLegend

1. Dont buy Apple - Made with Slavery
  2. If you have to just know this, I was very very very enthusiastic about getting a tablet for years but now my S6 tab just collects dust
  3. For reading comics and books you need to have your back against the wall or a heightened bed frame or sofa i.e. half your body MUST be erect
  4. Books are much better to read in mobile with the epub format and I hate mobile which is why I bought tablet and had to back peddle
  5. The most underestimated thing about the tablet is weight, you cannot use it laying down, it's painful
  6. Gaming Experience is also painful at times
  7. So, In conclusion, if you wanna read a lot of comics and pdfs only then go for it
  8. Also if there is any way you can head down to the Apple store go there and test which version you want and try to see if ipad mini is a better suit for you because low weight, more PPI, etc. ESPECIALLY test which model loads a comic book in such a manner that it doesn't require zoom in and is perfectly readable. Do it by downloading a sample.
  9. And last and most important point, tablets simply suck at any sort of typing
  10. TLDR: Only useful for Watching TV Shows, Youtube, Reading Comics and Books
  11. PPS: When you end up buying it. Come to this post one week after and post your experience.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
  2. If you have to just know this, I was very very very enthusiastic about getting a tablet for years but now my S6 tab just collects dust
  3. For reading comics and books you need to have your back against the wall or a heightened bed frame or sofa i.e. half your body MUST be erect
  4. Books are much better to read in mobile with the epub format and I hate mobile which is why I bought tablet and had to back peddle
  5. The most underestimated thing about the tablet is weight, you cannot use it laying down, it's painful
  7. So, In conclusion, if you wanna read a lot of comics and pdfs only then go for it
  8. Also if there is any way you can head down to the Apple store go there and test which version you want and try to see if ipad mini is a better suit for you because low weight, more PPI, etc. ESPECIALLY test which model loads a comic book in such a manner that it doesn't require zoom in and is perfectly readable. Do it by downloading a sample.
  11. PPS: When you end up buying it. Come to this post one week after and post your experience.
Counter point I love my iPad and use it everyday. I buy eBooks from Apple & Amazon and love both apps.

TrueLegend

Counter point I love my iPad and use it everyday. I buy eBooks from Apple & Amazon and love both apps.
I do enjoy book reading too especially pdf on my tab and playing old-school dungeon RPG but I really use it rarely. Pdfs on mobile are just NO No for me but buying a tablet was overkill.

Cyberpunkd

I have iPhone 11 Pro, MacBook Air M1 and iPad Pro 12.9” with 4G from 2017. Here’s my take:

I don’t read books on the iPad, I have Kindle. iPad screen is the same as any other so if you want to have a better sleep avoid looking at a screen 30 minutes before bed.

I don’t play much games but the ones I do are very fun.

Major use really comes from: a. Watching movies and Netflix in bed b. Taking notes with Apple Pencil during the business meeting for a wow effect, here a smaller iPad would have been better.

greyshark

If I were you I’d get the 64 GB Air. I got 256 GB for my phone and don’t really need the space. So much is stored on the cloud nowadays.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I would buy refurbished direct from Apple. You get the same warranty as brand new. Apple replaces any defective parts from customer returns and lists them back up at discount.

Still on my refurbished ipad pro 2018 model, was identical to the unopened ones but I paid $130 less.

nush

Me lying in bed with my iPad on my chest in a case that folds out into a stand. None of the things you have listed have ever been a problem. My Kindle books are great to read on this thing.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Get the most ram and fastest you can stomach.

Tablets can either last quite a while or you find they are running slow after 2 years. Don't skimp.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you get a nice, fast one you may find yourself doing more of your browsing on it.

For what it’s worth, my not very good Android tablet is 32GB and I haven’t filled that up. It means not having so many comics downloaded at once, but it’s not that much trouble to delete when you’re done and download more while you’re either reading something else or sleeping.

I do kind of wish I spent the extra money and got an iPad, because Android tablets outside of Samsung (and sometimes even then) are disappointing. At least you know the iPad is going to last you.

But at the same time, you don’t need the Pro. The screen would be great to read on, but that’s using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I say iPad Air 64GB. Get those free AirPods.

Last edited:
I got an iPad Pro 12.9" for a few years now and I love it. it's great for reading manga and watching videos. the quad speakers is great also when watching movies and stuff. doing Excel on it is also fine, even without a keyboard. the one issue is that it's kinda heavy and I had smack myself in the face using it in bed. also keep in mind I'm not in the Apple ecosystem at all outside of the iPad since I use an Android phone. depends on what you want to use it for, I highly recommend the new big Pro if you can swing it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I just got the new 12.9 inch pro one but had a 11 pro and used the new air for a few days. If you can swing it go with the pro, the 120hz screen is way better then the air screen, once you have used it hard to go back to the 60hz screens. That said if you haven‘t used it yet the Air does just about everything else well so get the one with ad much storage you can afford.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I want an iPad, but they're simply too big for my taste and to use in bed. But once an upgraded iPad mini with an m1 chip rolls out I'll be purchasing that.

dcll

Banned
I'm confused on a new ipad as well, I have read that one of the older pros might be the best option or the new Air.

deafmedal

Pro for sure. I have the bigger one but honestly prefer the smaller one. Great device, should last a few to several years. I would recommend bumping the storage though, it’s nice to load a bunch of movies etc. for when there’s no internet. Movies look fantastic on it.

The Belkin keyboard case works great for a lower cost alternative to the ridiculously priced Apple option. Not sure how the pencil works with the other model(s) that support it and I think they only support the series 1 pencil? I love handwriting notes and the text conversion is decent too. Procreate is amazing as well. Double tapping to change to eraser is really handy.

Plus you can play CivVI on it pretty dang well!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
$600 gift card? That seems crazy, iPad lost to the surface pro in sales but it’s still a banger device.

bed-post-4.jpg

Flexible-leg-iPad-stand-in-white-540x422.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member

1. Dont buy anything, its all made with oversees slavery, including your S6. The current global supply chain of rare metals sadly makes this a constant acrost all devices.
2. Counterpoint: My iPad Pro 12" is used every single day for drawing and reading, right along with my M1 Macbook PRo and my high powered editing PC. The iPad is a super valuable tool both in the studio and in the field.
3. False, like wtf, just hold the thing!
4. iBooks and Kindle work great on my iPad
5. EviLore EviLore can we get free gym memberships for some of our users in need :p could be a nice gold perk
6. Never have used it for games, Switch and such is for that
7. Or do tons of things like sketching/drawing, CAD work, touched base 3d design, photo manipulation or emergency 2nd monitor use
8. Always agree with inperson testing. But why does this weight thing keep coming up?
9.. I mean any productive typing on the iPad Pro should be done on its awesome *but expensive* apple keyboard. It was worth it to me. Apple Pen is also a must have and the nicest digital writing tool I've ever used.
10.. TLDR: I highly disagree with TL
11. Agreed, do it OP!

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I have $600 giftcard that I can use at the Apple store and I want to buy an iPad. I can pay out of pocket for anything over the credit.

The primary reason I am getting this iPad is for reading Comic Books and books in bed. I do like to tinker with apps and games but I would not say I am a power user as I'd rather use my Macbook for those types of things. I do family movie editing and

One thing to keep in mind is that I have an M1 Macbook Pro.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I get an Education discount which is minor but I think changes the discussion a little bit (It's only $20 on the entry level iPad but $50 on the above models).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple is currently running a promotion for free Airpods with iPad Air and above models. There is no such promotion for the entry level ipads. Since I have Airpod Pros I would give these to my wife. She is using my ancient OG Airpods that I got when they first came out and the battery life seems to be going.

Here are the models I am considering:
1 - 32 GB iPad Classic ($309)
2. 128 GB iPad Classic ($409)
3. 64 GB iPad Air ($549) (with free AirPods)
4. 256 GB iPad Air ($699) (with free AirPods)
5. 128 GB 11 inch M1 iPad Pro ($749) (with free AirPods)

I think I have ruled out the iPad Classic. I could get the 64 GB iPad Air without having to pay a dime out of pocket and I'm sure it would fit all of my needs but I'm not sure how long 64GB goes nowadays on an iPad. Upgrading to the 256 GB Air will bring a ton of space and have me pay 100 out of pocket ($150 with tax). Upgrading to the new 11 inch M1 iPad Pro would cost me $150 out of pocket ($200 with tax). I am very comfortable with 128GB meeting my needs but on the other hand I think the performance capabilities are overkill for what I want to do.

Thoughts?
You know they can print comic books on paper now, right?

TrueLegend

1. Dont buy anything, its all made with oversees slavery, including your S6. The current global supply chain of rare metals sadly makes this a constant acrost all devices.
2. Counterpoint: My iPad Pro 12" is used every single day for drawing and reading, right along with my M1 Macbook PRo and my high powered editing PC. The iPad is a super valuable tool both in the studio and in the field.
3. False, like wtf, just hold the thing!
4. iBooks and Kindle work great on my iPad
5. EviLore EviLore can we get free gym memberships for some of our users in need :p could be a nice gold perk
6. Never have used it for games, Switch and such is for that
7. Or do tons of things like sketching/drawing, CAD work, touched base 3d design, photo manipulation or emergency 2nd monitor use
8. Always agree with inperson testing. But why does this weight thing keep coming up?
9.. I mean any productive typing on the iPad Pro should be done on its awesome *but expensive* apple keyboard. It was worth it to me. Apple Pen is also a must have and the nicest digital writing tool I've ever used.
10.. TLDR: I highly disagree with TL
11. Agreed, do it OP!
1. It might surprise you to know that some people know where the things they use come from. There is no slavery involved with S6. Absolutely None. Underpaid sure.
3. I meant you can't do it in any position, unlike mobile. You have to use both your hands after some time.
4. Working great is ok but in bed, it feels heavy. It works great on mine too. Even better than the iPad since google got motion comics with zoomed dialogue bubble pop up.
5. Go home grandpa you are drunk. I am talking about what happens if you drop it on your face like one other guy already posted.
9. I doubt you have ever used any good typing device in your life if you are in apple's ecosystem especially if that iPad keyboard is awesome to you. That doesn't even qualify as dogshit compared to even a budget mechanical keyboard.

I have an iPad Air 2nd Gen (2019) and I like it quite a bit. Mine's only 64 GB also but I mainly just keep games on it.

Now I also have an M1 MacBook Pro.

I hope the slaves suffered greatly while making my electronic toys. 👹

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
1. It might surprise you to know that some people know where the things they use come from. There is no slavery involved with S6. Absolutely None. Underpaid sure.
3. I meant you can't do it in any position, unlike mobile. You have to use both your hands after some time.
4. Working great is ok but in bed, it feels heavy. It works great on mine too. Even better than the iPad since google got motion comics with zoomed dialogue bubble pop up.
5. Go home grandpa you are drunk. I am talking about what happens if you drop it on your face like one other guy already posted.
9. I doubt you have ever used any good typing device in your life if you are in apple's ecosystem especially if that iPad keyboard is awesome to you. That doesn't even qualify as dogshit compared to even a budget mechanical keyboard.

Mechanicals aren't inherently better, they're just a fetish.

And I use mechanicals, but only because I like fancy things. Truth is pressure curves, smoothness, keyfeel, sound and all those things the kb community obsesses with don't make a keyboard better at typing.

And frankly you're just showing your ignorance with that commentary about "good typing devices in the apple ecosystem" considering that company used to ship keyboards with alps switches.

Top Bottom