• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill is The Witcher

iorek21

It already destroyed Star Wars...

Yeah, but Star Wars has a big name and moves millions yearly, it can retake some of its prestige eventually under a good admnistration

On the other hand, this is the first chance Witcher has, and if it fails, it may never get another one

Thiagosc777

The people in charge probably believe they don't have to market to the current fans of the series because "they are going to watch it anyways". Similar to Disney's Star Wars.

Just don't watch it.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
They should feel free to pick whoever they feel would portray the character best. This goes both ways. I don’t mind her being non white (I don’t think her race was a big part of character) but I’m not in favour of excluding white folks either

Yeah ok.

oagboghi2

It's Netflix. Their was no way the Witcher was going to have a predominantly white cast. I'm honestly surprised Geralt is white.

Their are still people bitching and petitioning Netflix to make Iron Fist into an Asian character, and that is 2 seasons in.

the sad/funny thing being, Elba is awesome charismatic motherfucker. I loved his Luther and Stringer Bell. You know, new great characters written for him. But him playing Roland Deschain or James Bond or say, Geralt?

Fuck. No.

In an interview with New York Times, Idris explained: ‘I think it’s more about, “We just want to have a black guy play James Bond” rather than, “Idris Elba, the actor, play James Bond. That’s the part I’m like, ugh, come on.’

moon knight

Neo Member

No, the problem of Disney Star Wars are bigger and far worse than some pandering.

Same for The Witcher, in terms of the potential fuck ups Netflix could do, the casting of Ciri is the minor issue. The Witcher is 2 books of short stories and a more connected saga, that only stars with the third book, and that is easier to adapt on a TV format. But you can't skip the short stories because they are essential to the worldbuilding and establishment of the characters and their role in the world. And it's a nightmare to adapt it to a TV show, because you can't do 2 seasons based on the format of "crime of the day" and then make the rest of the seasons with an "horizontal narrative". And there is also the tone of the series, which is gritty realism, almost nihilistic, where even the protagonists are deeply flawed, fallible.

moon knight

Neo Member
the sad/funny thing being, Elba is awesome charismatic motherfucker. I loved his Luther and Stringer Bell. You know, new great characters written for him. But him playing Roland Deschain or James Bond or say, Geralt?

Fuck. No.

Luther was great, it's a shame they didn't continue it.

kunonabi

It's Netflix. Their was no way the Witcher was going to have a predominantly white cast. I'm honestly surprised Geralt is white.

Their are still people bitching and petitioning Netflix to make Iron Fist into an Asian character, and that is 2 seasons in.

And sadly they got their wish in the most hamfisted way possible

Wow, what a surprise. The showrunner is a coward.

man reading through her twitter i absolutely hate how she talks in this stupid smarmy tone. she 100 percent has contemporary woke cartoon humor and i hate her for it. nobody_important would think shes hilarious and witty

Last edited:

royox

I am loving the casting decisions so far. They also have already stated that Ciri will not be white. They are going for a minority lead for that part. Really interested to see how they portray her.

Yay! Next step will be a black Galadriel for Amazon's TLOTR!!!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yay! Next step will be a black Galadriel for Amazon's TLOTR!!!

See you joke, but I would be 100% down for a minority lead for Galadriel. That goes for the rest of the elves as well.

So long as I get my Scottish Dwarves I'll be fine.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So, danger avoided.
I wonder who they'll blackwash now.
No one I hope. Just make up new stuff for the love of god. Picking up established IPs and then changing it to fit some social agenda is so stupid. If Netflix insists on diversity in their shows they shouldn't have picked up the Witcher series in the first place....

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I would still watch it regardless of who they cast as Ciri. Continuity issues would bother me admittedly, but I want to see this way too much to prevent me from watching it. Casting Ciri as a black, latino, asian girl(have they even decided yet who will play her?) would be the same as Game of Thrones casting Jon Snow as a black, asian, latino guy. I'd still watch, but continuity issues would bug me.

thief183

I would still watch it regardless of who they cast as Ciri. Continuity issues would bother me admittedly, but I want to see this way too much to prevent me from watching it. Casting Ciri as a black, latino, asian girl(have they even decided yet who will play her?) would be the same as Game of Thrones casting Jon Snow as a black, asian, latino guy. I'd still watch, but continuity issues would bug me.

Nope, As for Death Note (I mean really... ma white ans a black man as protagonist? They are Japanese FFS!) I wouldn't have wotched it, we all should vote with our time in this case and send messages, if we all don't give a f**k THEY can do whatever they want

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Nope, As for Death Note (I mean really... ma white ans a black man as protagonist? They are Japanese FFS!) I wouldn't have wotched it, we all should vote with our time in this case and send messages, if we all don't give a f**k THEY can do whatever they want

I can't be a hypocrite, I have defended a creator's right to create any form of art in their own vision and in this case the showrunners have the right to cast any actor they want for any character. That doesn't mean I or you have to like it, and we also have the right to not watch if we so choose, but I think they should have the right to cast anyone they desire for these roles. I defended that stance with the Scarlett Johansson transgender movie which she was rudely and viciously pressured out of, because she wasn't a true transgender person, and I defender her right to play a trans person in a movie and them to cast her as one. So even though the continuity will annoy me, I will defend their right to cast a black girl as Ciri or whatever.

If it was something far more important, I would enact my right to not watch, but it's just a TV show. There are far more important things to me to start movements on, for me this isn't one of them. But obviously you have the right to act how you do, if you don't want to watch that's perfectly fine with me.

ILLtown

I know you are bombarded by a ton of angry fans right now. And I know you said you just think they are big fans with strong opinions... But allow me to give you some context into why it is THIS intense.

People underestimate the cultural significance of witcher for Slavic nations (Not just Poland, - Czech, Slovaks...). Back at the time (1992), there was a boom of fantasy works coming in. And we were bombarded by awesome novels from the west. All that DND stuff, and comics etc...

The thing is. All of it was based around germanic/northern mythology with some greek mixed in. We liked it, and we wanted to give back something of our own. To share our culture and lore with the world. To prove we are cool as well.

And then, like a summer storm - out of nowhere, came Witcher. It proved to us that we can do it too. That our own mythos and culture can be cool and badass. It became an instant hit and a cultural pivot point for entire east Europe.

Many of us grew up on reading those books. Geralt of Rivia is a household name here. Everyone knows Witcher. When the Larping community became a thing as many kids wanted to be Aragorn as they wanted to be the White Wolf or Ciri or Yennefer.

And when CD project red (A polish studio!) made a game and it became internationally successful we were elated. A piece of our own culture, mythos.. a piece of us(!) made it to the world and the world loved it.

And with every new game, more people in the west came to appreciate the books, the stories the lore. The monsters you meet there are things straight from our legends and fairytales. Grandmas to this day scare kids with "Polednice" (The noonwraight).

And then came the announcement about the Netflix adaptation. We were worried. For the first time the Witcher, our beloved story, a part of our identity, was to be handled by an outsider. And an American company no less.

And you. You personally reassured us that there is nothing to be worried about. That you will adhere to the books and will try to portray the characters accurately to their very essence,

And now, we're here. We not only feel betrayed and lied to. We feel robbed. Because that casting choice is nothing else than a cultural appropriation. The story reflects us. It comes from our suffering as nations... and you would happily paint it over in American colors.

You may feel that the girls at home in U.S. need some representation. That they need to feel included. And you may be right. But this is not the place, not the story. Give them their own story. Here, they are not supposed to feel included. It is OUR story.

ne we entrusted YOU to bring over and represent to the rest of the world. Are the heavy themes of racism from the nations that lived through Nazi and Soviet occupations and the Holocaust not enough? Do you realyl have to make it about yourselves?

I beg you. Think about it. Pause and think about what are you doing. The impact it will have. The implications, the effect your decisions will have on a bunch of small nations that had to struggle for survival against much bigger neighbors. Please, do the right thing.

SOURCE

She's probably just a racist, alt-right Nazi or something though....

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
No just a little obtuse. This is an American adaptation of the Witcher. Netflix is an American company, they’re going to adapt the Witcher for an American audience, not a Slavic one.
Netflix is a worldwide company and makes content for a worldwide audience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Netflix is a worldwide company and makes content for a worldwide audience.

Exactly. They have a ton of programming in region's native language where they are filmed there, use native actors, and you need English subtitles if you do not understand the tongue.

Javthusiast

Banned
Visually Ciri actress looks great for the role, can't say much about her acting skills cause haven't seen anything with her. My problem is that Yen actress seems way too young. Looked it up and she is 21 years old. Cavill in his mid 30s.

Fuz

Banned
Isn't Yen supposed to look young, being her a sorceress and all? And she's younger on the books anyway (like Ciri is).
Ciri looks perfect, imho.
More like fake news to put public pressure on them. The director never said anything about t
There was a leak on casting. They never refute it. They just rode the outrage.

KonradLaw

I like it. Ciri seems like a great choice. Yen seems a bit young, so she must have knocked it the hell out during audition. She's a shade darker than what I imagined, but this type of look/skin tone isn't something that rare in Poland, so she doesn't break the slavicness of the setting.
It seems they did throw in some black chick in there,. but it's for lesser important character, so it's not that bad. I just hope they will change her family connection and it should be fine.

Last edited:

Dunki

Isn't Yen supposed to look young, being her a sorceress and all? And she's younger on the books anyway (like Ciri is).
Ciri looks perfect, imho.

There was a leak on casting. They never refute it. They just rode the outrage.
Donald trump sucks dick I got this from a leak. Just because these „journalists „ write articles about some leak does not mean that there even was one . These people will write everything to get clicks and they do not fact check at all. Their leak was probably some person on Twitter writing them a dm.

Dunki

Read again. They never refute that leak.
Why should say even do this? I would not waste my time refuting bullshit "journalist" claims. The only comment they had was that they do not comment on any castng chice until its official. And this is the correct way to deal with these assholes who want to stir fake outrage and put public pressure on them.

Fuz

Banned
Oh please. A false comunicate comes out (which is also controversial) and they don't take the time to say "nope, that's not a real document". Don't be so naive.

Dunki

Oh please. A false comunicate comes out (which is also controversial) and they don't take the time to say "nope, that's not a real document". Don't be so naive.
If they would have comened they would have been done for no matter what they had said. This is the only right choice to deal with these people by ignoring them. Recent gaming examples. Dice, GOG, Project RED etc. They all reacted and got shitstormed for it

Last edited:

kunonabi

Looks like Fringilla is the one that got saddled with the diversity casting. Shame too because she had a cool look.

iPaul93

I have no expectations from this, since it's made by Netflix.Most of their adaptations are ruined by forced diversity.Just take a look at Death Note.

KRAai

I have no expectations from this, since it's made by Netflix.Most of their adaptations are ruined by forced diversity.Just take a look at Death Note.

Oh well i kind of trust tomasz bagiński who is producer on that show so unless proven otherwise i have high hopes

edit....

hmm why instagram media doesn't work?
link

Last edited:

KRAai

just read some interview with tomasz bagiński from 31.12.2018
he said he met with sapkowski and from word to word they decided to start working on a witcher movie
but 2 years ago it chamged into netflix show

he has pretty healthy attitude towards all the people whining about castings

"people have right to criticize. We are paid also because we are exposed to criticizm.
if someone feels better when he yelp on internet because he doesn't like some
of our catsing choices then paradoxically it means that we are doing our job well.
Our job is to entertain people and if someone enjoys whining on internet then everyone should be happy"

Dontero

Banned
Oh well i kind of trust tomasz bagiński who is producer on that show so unless proven otherwise i have high hopes

Baginski isn't funding it though. Which means that he has jack shit to say.
He and his studio are fx guys. Which is pretty obvious when script and casting is done by netflix team.

KRAai

Take your own meds, please.
Baginski isn't funding it though. Which means that he has jack shit to say.
He and his studio are fx guys. Which is pretty obvious when script and casting is done by netflix team.

he is one of the producers
he is way more than only fx guy
but yeah
i bet you are right mr netflix is funding this show
so nobody really has anything to say
he is doing all the writting and casting
and let me guess he has some political agenda
and choose to adapt some polish fantasy books
to unleash it on the whole world

take your meds please.

But him playing Roland Deschain or James Bond or say, Geralt?

Fuck. No.

Why not?

If they created a new character for him in these kinds of projects people would says he’s shoehorned in, or is just a token.

Seems like there’s no way to win?

Edit: I didn’t realize I was replying to a months old comment. I haven’t really followed this thread.

So, I’ll guess I’ll just say that it feels like they are screwed no matter what they do in situations like this nowadays

Last edited:

Denton

Why not?

If they created a new character for him in these kinds of projects people would says he’s shoehorned in, or is just a token.

Seems like there’s no way to win?

Edit: I didn’t realize I was replying to a months old comment. I haven’t really followed this thread.

So, I’ll guess I’ll just say that it feels like they are screwed no matter what they do in situations like this nowadays
I would not mind new character at all. Or he could simply play characters that fit his looks. I wouldn't want Geralt to be played by Jonah Hill either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom