• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Her Story | Spoiler Thread

http://www.herstorygame.com/

wcxCV0G.jpg

Link to OT

AkuMifune

Banned
So Eve was in the "attic" recovering from an STD while someone poisoned Hannah's parents with deadly mushrooms. Did Hannah do it? Eve had more motivation. Though she seems to be the more stable one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
OK so how I think events go, more or less.

- Hannah is a shy, introverted child. She watches alot of tv and reads a lot of fantasy books, like Rapunzel. I don't think it's ever alluded she was abused in any way. At age 5 she meets Eve, her "twin" / imaginary friend. Eve lives in the attic in the house where Hannah lives with her parents. Both Eve and Hannah are names which are spelled the same backwards and towards (important because hannah mentions her name is, and it would be a hell of a coincidence if this other persons name also was, it's not because they are the same person)

- in her teens Hannah continues to be shy and introvert while Eve is the strong personality. They dates boys as Hannah but fuck them as Eve for example. Eve gets around but Hannah does not (she says she's not a slut in a video and how dare they ask that).

- at age 17 she meets her Prince (like in her fairy tale books), Simon. This is her first actual love and relationship so she wants Simon all to herself so Eve is pushes out of the picture for a bit as Hannah doesn't need her anymore. She gets pregnant with Simon which prompts them to get married and move on with her parents (Eve says in a video that she wasn't living with them and was going to move in later). She miscarriages the baby and her parents die from apparent mushroom poisoning, even tho her father works with mushrooms. Hannah is told by doctors that the miscarriage left her infertile.

- Hannah and Simon continue trying to get pregnant over the years but Hannah's shit tragic year pushes her over the edge and marks the return of Eve. Hannah disguises herself as Eve with a blonde wig and goes out to bars to play guitar sometimes, when one day Simon finds her, presumably while out for a drink himself. He goes to her but she's now Eve. Thy start a fucked up affair, presumably since Simon knows full well it's his wife. Hannah tells the cops many times Simon wouldn't cheat on her...and she's technically correct lol.

- Hannah / Eve gets pregnant, even tho she was told she was infertile (how can people still think they weren't the same person at this point, what are the odds the would both be infertile as eve clearly says they are in a video)

-Hannah has a tattoo of a apple and snake on her arm..you know, from Adam and EVE :p

-On her birthday Simon gifts her a unique handmade mirror, except it's not unique at all and it's the same thing he already gave her before. It's not clear if he thought he was giving it to the Eve persona or if he was trying to make her snap out of it, but this makes her cracking and she breaks the mirror and slashes his throat. There's a video with Eve describing this entire event, as if she's just looking on, if she was a real person why wouldn't she intervene? Why wouldn't Simon see her etc.

- There's no happy ending here. The whole game is her daughter Sarah (from the real pregnancy not the miscarriage of course) just wanting to know what made her mother do what she did. That she did it is never in question. You, the player, and by proxi Sarah find out your mom was a nutcase.

- Sarah knows what her mother did (the person on the phone at end asks her if she's happy to know why now, not how or who) so one assumes Hannah/Eve was either arrested, had Sarah in prison and had her taken away, or most likely sent to a mental institution, again had Sarah and had her taken away. There is no world where she raised Sarah or she would have no reason to come look for these tapes.

Some tidbits:

- Nothing that Eve says happens with Hannah can be taken for granted, it's all fight club style watching from outside of your body.

- Eve says she had the same diseases as Hannah, the same period time, that they are both infertile. When hannah gets in a fight and a black eye, she says hannah punches her so she also has a black eye. When hannah loses her tooth she says they rip out one if hers to match.

- how would a couple of 5 year old come up with this elaborate plan? How could they hide even their entire teenage life without the parents knowing. Hell if eve was real how couldn't the parents know about her lol.

- You never see Eve with short sleeves, only Hannah (for people saying one has a tattoo and the other doesnt)

There's a bunch more stuff that at the very least heavily indicates she was just crazy. It's a very classic split personality story. Feel free to argue it was actually a twin, I mean I didn't make the game so I can't be 100% sure, and in the end what matters is whatever theory you have, you liked it. And I loved it :D

So Eve was in the "attic" recovering from an STD while someone poisoned Hannah's parents with deadly mushrooms. Did Hannah do it? Eve had more motivation. Though she seems to be the more stable one.

That std probably caused her miscarriage, since, you know, they were the same person :p

SmithnCo

I'm leaning toward split personality now, especially considering the chat message which asks if Sarah understands why her mother did what she did, which would be a bit out of place if her mother was Eve, considering Hannah was the one that actually killed Simon.

Though I still don't fully understand the significance of the bruise and to a lesser extent, the tattoo. Did she just cover it up while she was a different personality?

It also makes me wonder if Florence was a real person who 'accidentally' fell down the stairs, or just made-up backstory for Eve. It would be more sinister if Hannah/Eve had killed her in addition to Simon and her parents.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Eve talks about Florence so one assumes everything Eve says regarding her existence to be made up :)

Also the more I think about it, they never even say they are sisters, just friends right? Hannah tells the story about almost drowning her friend, and Eve says her mommy fell down the stairs. So in Hannah's mind this is just her friend, not sister. Which explains why she thinks she's blonde when eve isn't blonde at all. Damn game, you good

XRA

Neo Member
im still a bit mindfucked by the tattoo, there is a day where she is wearing very short sleeves and no tattoo is visible (also shown in credits footage), but its before the tattoo shows up on later days, so maybe it was recently gotten?

AkuMifune

Banned
Eve talks about Florence so one assumes everything Eve says regarding her existence to be made up :)

Also the more I think about it, they never even say they are sisters, just friends right? Hannah tells the story about almost drowning her friend, and Eve says her mommy fell down the stairs. So in Hannah's mind this is just her friend, not sister. Which explains why she thinks she's blonde when eve isn't blonde at all. Damn game, you good

Eve mentions the only time Hannah called her 'sister' was when she called for help after murdering Simon. Eve does say she was born with hannah and just thrown out as well.

Good write-up btw. Mostly agree. Though I think it was Eve who was usually in the wig playing guitar shows. She mentions wearing it to go out and wearing it to perform.

Only missing a few videos now.

Rhaknar

Oi by the way post the more obscure word combinations you guys fund that work because I'm also still missing like 10 videos

I just want to talk about this game. That was 5.09 well spent, even gifted a copy to a film buff friend of mine, think he will also be into it

Trying to unlock the ending and I'm pretty sure the last 8 or so locked slots in row 9 are preventing me from proceeding. Anyone remember a keyword from that section?

SmithnCo

Trying to unlock the ending and I'm pretty sure the last 8 or so locked slots in row 9 are preventing me from proceeding. Anyone remember a keyword from that section?

They might be the lie detector videos. You have to type in "yes" and "no" with the quotations. They don't really advance the story though. If not then ignore.

Rhaknar

They might be the lie detector videos. You have to type in "yes" and "no" with the quotations. They don't really advance the story though. If not then ignore.

Last row is full blown smug eve in the lie detector yes

Cat, suspect, reflection and numbers from one to ten are also stuff people might miss

You don't need 100% for the ending btw, not even close. As soon as you get the chat prompt you can technically finish the game

Ah, perfect. Got the chat prompt many videos ago. I'll pick up these last few lie detector ones, watch the ending and then hunt for the last ones spread around the chart.

Rhaknar

Ah, perfect. Got the chat prompt many videos ago. I'll pick up these last few lie detector ones, watch the ending and then hunt for the last ones spread around the chart.

After you finish the main menu Start turns into Continue and you can just go back in to hunt the rest

IcyStorm

By the way, you can go to the game directory to find the videos (AVI) in chronological order if you want an easier way of trying to piece together your theories after you "finished" the game.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
If you guys type in "admin_random" without quotes, a single random clip will show up in the search. I found the rest of the clips I needed to find to get 100% by doing this as generally for me, every other clip was one that I had not watched. Not sure if you need to have seen the credits already but both that and admin_unlock showed up at the end of the credits.

But anyways, I was feeling pretty sure that the story involved twins but having gone over what Rhaknar typed up, I'm starting to think otherwise.

IcyStorm

If you guys type in "admin_random" without quotes, a random clip will show up in the search. I found the rest of the clips I needed to find to get 100% by doing this as generally for me, every other clip was one that I had not watched.

Considering what like 8-9 of the clips are, I don't see how you can get those without using that command.

Rhaknar

Considering what like 8-9 of the clips are, I don't see how you can get those without using that command.

There is a achievement for a random video I guess that's how you get it

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.

I got the last batch pertaining to the lie detector from doing the random search though it didn't occur to me to search for Yes and No according to SmithnCo.

Rhaknar

What's the significance of the coded messages?

Basically morse code. One is something like "I love you" and the other "goodbye hannah" roughly

Yes and no in quotations differs from just yes and no?

Because I did both yes and no. Man I tried so many words lol. Dirty words work too btw, obviously "fuck" since she says it a few times

IcyStorm

I got the last batch pertaining to the lie detector from doing the random search though it didn't occur to me to search for Yes and No according to SmithnCo.

'yes' and 'no' exceeded even the 15 results with ADMIN_UNLOCK for me, I think. I'd have to check again.

---

Not sure if this information will actually be helpful, but if you're interested.

June 18: Hair down. Ring on left hand. Left arm covered. Black coffee.
June 25: Hair up. Ring on left hand. Left arm not covered, no tattoo. Tea. Bruise on left cheek.
June 27: Hair down. Ring on left hand. Left arm covered. Black coffee. No bruise on left cheek; touches wrong cheek when asked about it.
June 30: Hair up. Ring on left hand. Left arm not fully covered, but it seems like no tattoo. Tea, one sugar.
July 1: Hair down. Ring on left hand. Left arm covered. Black coffee. Tattoo revealed after she changes because of the coffee spill.
July 2: Hair down. Ring on left hand. Left arm covered. Coffee, milk and sugar.
July 3: Hair down. No ring. Left arm covered. No drink.

I'm not exactly sure which theory I find more believable because I think there's still things to both sides, despite how ridiculous the idea of them actually being twins is. I think it's mostly the tattoo. Could it be a temporary one?

Sera O

Banned
I like the conclusion that they are one person - it is hard to believe an extra person can live in the attic of a house without the other inhabitants noticing. But there were definitely points where it seemed the person questioning her was trying to identify a third set of fingerprints in the bedroom (the part when she's answering about who would have been in the house, how often she cleans etc). It's still ambiguous, I suppose. Later when Eve is being questioned about the fingerprints she gets all pissy and seems very confident they will match.

The sudden appearance of the tattoo and disappearance of the bruise also makes it seem like two different people. Unless you think the tattoo is a fresh one - a tattoo that's only a few days old is usually pretty obvious, with swelling etc.

I'm still puzzling over the bit about the parents dying/killed with poisonous mushrooms and whether they were discovered right away or after many days passed. If they are different people, that part is really strange.

Rhaknar

The videos are different days, I don't understand the bruising argument at all. Hell you could barely see it as it was in that day.

And again, I don't remember seeing any short sleeve video besides the one where she has the tank top

Karkador

Banned
The interesting thing I caught about the bruise is that Hannah shows a bruise on the left side of her face (our right) , but Eve describes the bruise as being on the right side of her face (our left)

It's like a mirror

Basically morse code. One is something like "I love you" and the other "goodbye hannah" roughly

Yeah I got that much on my own, but why those particular messages?

Rhaknar

The interesting thing I caught about the bruise is that Hannah shows a bruise on the left side of her face (our right) , but Eve describes the bruise as being on the right side of her face (our left)

It's like a mirror

Likes she's a reflection? :3

Plot twist, the real version is Eve is from a parrarel dimension and she crossed over via the mirror when they waved at each other :3

Rhaknar

Hannah killed Simon so she has to leave. So they're saying their goodbyes.

Eve does say near the end you can't charge someone that doesn't exist (meaning hannah one assumes)

Rhaknar

Where's the tattoo?

HcYeCNN.jpg

POSj30V.jpg

Nice. Fresh tattoo then? What's the dates on the videos? The tattoo does look very colorful, but then again if it was days old it would be all red and swoly

Edit: nvm it's right there 1 day difference. Meh

If this somehow proves it's 2 people not only is it super obvious but, in my opinion of course, completely goes against most of the other clues and would actually make me think less of it. We need a official word from the dev I guess :p

Holy crap, you guys really helped me piece it together. I was still a bit confused by the time I got the chat log to pop up. Was there supposed to be an ending? I just typed "yes" in the chat prompt and then saw credits.

Sera O

Banned
The videos are different days, I don't understand the bruising argument at all. Hell you could barely see it as it was in that day.

And again, I don't remember seeing any short sleeve video besides the one where she has the tank top

I wouldn't have thought much about the bruise thing, except I know that things have to be pretty dark to show up that well on videotape and it was also pretty large. Her responses the next time also call attention to the quick healing of the bruise, like the interviewer finds it out of the ordinary.

Rhaknar

Holy crap, you guys really helped me piece it together. I was still a bit confused by the time I got the chat log to pop up. Was there supposed to be an ending? I just typed "yes" in the chat prompt and then saw credits.

Why would you type yes right there if the chat log appears like barely 50% into the videos :p

I imediatly was like "no fuck off leave me alone with my tapes!"

Edit: twin theory breaks the game for me, twin theory means eve is real, which means her mom that fell down the stairs was real, which means she can't have at least the same mom as Hannah, which means she couldn't be a twin.

Not to mention how ridiculous the notion of 5 year olds coming up with that plan to hide her and SUCCEEDING being ludicrous :/

It makes some of the stuff they tell more fucked up tho which I like :p

(Like it would mean they really shared boys, they really beat each other to have the same bruises and they really took Hannah's virginity with a hairbrush)

A replay might be in order tbh, see if I catch new stuff in the videos I saw when I started

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nice. Fresh tattoo then? What's the dates on the videos? The tattoo does look very colorful, but then again if it was days old it would be all red and swoly

Edit: nvm it's right there 1 day difference. Meh

If this somehow proves it's 2 people not only is it super obvious but, in my opinion of course, completely goes against most of the other clues and would actually make me think less of it. We need a official word from the dev I guess :p

Seriously. The multiple personalities thing is what makes sense... But the tattoo and the bruise thing tell me otherwise, and it's killing me, haha.

Sera O

Banned
Edit: twin theory breaks the game for me, twin theory means eve is real, which means her mom that fell down the stairs was real, which means she can't have at least the same mom as Hannah, which means she couldn't be a twin.

Wait, wasn't she referring to the midwife falling down the stairs? As in her adoptive mom? I do not recollect this mom falling down the stairs thing as being a conflict point in my mind.

The reason I thought of the dissociative personality thing as being a red herring was because of her name. Eve. It's like the most cliched name you could ever pick for a woman who has multiple personalities, ever, period. Eve was like my second search term (I started with police and got the bit about sneaking off to Bob Dylan with Eve). At that point I was already concluding "Oh, so they want me to think she has multiple personalities."

Rhaknar

Also, and I'm super nitpicking now (it's a $5 little game lol) but what cop wouldn't go "yo why do you have a tattoo and a tan today?"

Because I didn't watch them in order I didn't notice it was just 1 day difference in those videos, she looks like a different person lol

SmithnCo

It's like a mirror

I noticed that too, good detail.

Not sure exactly what it implies, but the open interpretations are fun.

Sera O

Banned
Also, and I'm super nitpicking now (it's a $5 little game lol) but what cop wouldn't go "yo why do you have a tattoo and a tan today?"

Because I didn't watch them in order I didn't notice it was just 1 day difference in those videos, she looks like a different person lol

The cop totally asks about the tattoo in that interview though. Probably doesn't make it clear how weird he thinks it is though, because they would rather catch her off her guard. I think that's when she talks about how long she had it.

Inkwell

Banned
I've only accessed a little over 50% of the clips, but I was wondering about the whole twin/split personality bit. Split personality seems more likely, but there was a mention of an alibi. Hannah was supposed to be in Glasgow (which would have actually been Eve). This might be cleared up in another clip since again, I've only seen around 50% of them.

IcyStorm

I still don't quite understand why the bruise appears on June 25 but was missing a week prior when the murder happened on June 17/18.

Or at least she wasn't asked about it.

Rhaknar

I've only accessed a little over 50% of the clips, but I was wondering about the whole twin/split personality bit. Split personality seems more likely, but there was a mention of an alibi. Hannah was supposed to be in Glasgow (which would have actually been Eve). This might be cleared up in another clip since again, I've only seen around 50% of them.

The alibi is never substanciated in any of the videos, that one is the easiest to dismiss. She could just be making a bunch of shit up

I am now going to write another long ass essay on my views of the story coming from a twin perspective, but not on mobile lol.

Also we are all coming from a "there's no plot holes because we love the game Yay!" Viewpoint when for all we know there could be a bunch of plot holes lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Well, on that front: we can't possibly know if the alibi was verified.

Rhaknar

If eve is real, having a apple and snake tattoo is super on the nose aswell. Like "GET IT? BECAUSE MY NAME IS EVE? LIKE ADAM AND EVE?" while if she didn't exist it was just Hannah's psyche having a tattoo related to her imaginary friend that only she knew the reference to. I don't like the twin theory guys, I'm sad now :(

Sera O

Banned
Yeah she could just have been bullshitting. But I think it's likely the alibi checked out. For one thing, hospital records would be a weird thing to expect cops not to look into if they are already asking her to repeat her account so many times.

For another, the cops eventually ask her about being twins. This is kind of a big deal.

From cop perspective it would be way more likely to conclude mental illness. That's way more common than having a secret twin that has managed to stay hidden for almost 30 years and who also has no legal identity, which is how we roll in gothic novels only. So unless this is gothic novel universe with secret wives in attics and shit (totally possible given the midwife stealing babies story), the alibi checking out has to be the reason why the cops would even consider the batshit hidden twin thing - inconsistencies with tattoo/bruise/possible strange fingerprints would have led them to ask about twins on the second-last day (black shirt interview).

Slacker

I kinda thought clipD154-A, (where she was talking to herself while alone in the interview room) was the smoking gun on the split personality theory (find it by searching for "hannah eve" without the quotes).

Rhaknar

Also if the alibi checked out the cops would have zero reason to ever call her back in or have her as a suspect.

Guys stop ruining the game for me damn it :(

Lol

Karkador

Banned
I'm still on team "from an alternate universe"

OR

new team,

They were born, not as "twins", but as one person who was split in two, and separated at birth.

SmithnCo

I just got the reason why they put the "Mirror Game" in. I'm slow.

Besides the obvious mirror symbolism, it's a two-player game that you can only play by yourself, mirroring the split personality thing. Clever.

Top Bottom