• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

Aceofspades

Banned
I always adjust my expectations regarding Nintendo systems. I look at what MS/Sony does currently in the industry (hardware, functionality), revert back couple of years then set my expectation for Nintendo.

Switch has a sleek design, novel idea and good OS but at the same time it has some glaring issues as well. OP points are all valid btw.

Everything will improve I hope, games will keep coming. OS will improve, updated hw to fix screen scratch and joycon disconnect.

Outlook will be positive I hope.

Spy

I think most people who are having a go at the OP do have a point. Most of us are really happy with our Switches, but more importantly we all recognise that it has a couple of quirks and things to work out. But we're ok with that! It's being rational. Like i wish the dock had a charging light and straight away on setting the switch up i was concerned about the screen getting damaged. But everything else about the Switch has left a really good impression. Nintendo really have outdone themselves.

But the problem is, there are already topics of most of the elements in the OP list (which you could argue validates his thread). But he is already posting in every single one of them. I don't think judging by his posts he actually even owns one. Which for me is actually a big issue. His arguments have no actual context other than other peoples experiences. So it seems to many of us that Spy is just blatantly trolling at this point. Because all his threads do his bring out the same people (including me ugh, should just be enjoying playing games really) on both sides. I read his topic, predicted the people that would post, and yup there they were. So no actual discussion does happen. It can't because of people are aware of the OP posting history.
bZ1XgN7.png

Hi.

Won

Boy what a thread. Not having played on a console in a while you actually tend to forget how console talk works on online forums.

On the actually topic. Failed is a strong word and not one I would use, but on the other side calling it a "Softlaunch", while probably correct, sounds almost too nice.

I was interested, almost excited, after the initial reveal, but in the weeks and months before the launch things started to look almost grim.

My personal biggest disappointment all things considered is actually the lack of a browser and some basic apps. I would go as far as saying that this basically defeats the purpse of the machine for me. And the PR answers Nintendo gave (according to my google fu) don't fill me with much confidence for the near future.

Software also ended up a special kind of a wasteland, even for a launch.

I have no idea what the future brings of course, but after the Wii and WiiU I admit I have a hard time being optimistic with such a rocky launch and the poor messaging before it, no matter how much I would love this machine being a compelling and successful product.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I finally downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo (took me 2mn, do it guys it even has a VS mode :)

Tetris is a good game to test the analog stick precision, right?
Can the joy-con one replace a dpad? Was it designed to do so?

Absolutely. It's awesome, try it.

FLAguy954

Look at the mod post people were indeed criticizing the PS4 when it first launched, Switch is receiving more *vitriol* as you put it because it flat out has way more problems then the PS4 when it launched its that simple. People aren't Nintendo bashing there isn't a secret anti Nintendo club the Switch is just a poorly launched system.

i left gamefaqs and joined this place......to get away from this kinda stuff.

why must i run into nintendoomed everywhere i go. This things been out for 1 day.

i've played it for like 8 hours or so....and nothings scratched, melted, desynching.....snakes are not manifesting physically in my home.

One of my favorite things with Nintendo is that they dont have a trophy system. Almost all recent games ive played the trophies have eighter been designed so they come naturaly from playing the game (aka pointless as you already are rewarded for progress) or grinds (lazy boring trophy design).. The developers must be sick of being forced to add trophies.

I cant belive they dropped activity log tho.. booo. I love being able to see where my fun times is spent.

They sure try to scare customers away with the expensive controllers.. a new set of joycons 90€, if I want to enjoy Zelda the best its 80€ for a pro controller.. Atleast put it on the same lvl as the competition..

why must i run into nintendoomed everywhere i go. This things been out for 1 day.

i've played it for like 8 hours or so....and nothings scratched, melted, desynching.....snakes are not manifesting physically in my home.

I mean that last one happened to me just this moment, but it wasn't the Switch's fault.

However those first two things are valid concerns that have happened to a number of people and just because a vast majority of people, anecdotal or not, have not had that same experience does not mean those in the minority should be diminished. And I say that with a Kimishima avatar defiantly looking at knives, these sort of problems shouldn't be ignored.

eot

Banned

Maybe the problem is you. Making a thread to discuss actual shortcomings with the hardware isn't saying that Nintendo is doomed. If your skin is that thin then don't open the thread.

Hesemonni

Banned

So you're saying the issues OP raised are moot or they shouldn't be discussed?

I'm not detecting any nintendoomed in OP's post seriously. And of course flaws of new hardware are discussed when said hardware is launched. This is nothing new.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

CanardPC and forum.hardware.fr used to be filled with negativity towards Nintendo, no to say trolls. They have become Disney World since launch, everyone is happy about Switch.

I'm not saying GAF is becoming gamefaqs, but the negativity is stronger each day. We are talking about gaming.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So you're saying the issues OP raised are moot or they shouldn't be discussed?

I'm not detecting any nintendoomed in OP's post seriously. And of course flaws of new hardware are discussed when said hardware is launched. This is nothing new.

Well don't act as if he title and OP are well balanced
Especially considering how there is a OT exacyou to discuss the hw launch

Is as if someone open a topic called "let's discuss how great the switch launch is"
I am prettyet sure the fair complaints about switch would have been expressed in a more rude way to counter OP positivity

Let's not pretend hyperbole or agenda are a one way thing

BUT NO ONE WHO OWNS THE GLORIOUS NINTENDO SWITCH CAN CRITICIZE IT IN ANY WAY. THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A 3D PRINTED SWITCH WITH THE HOME SCREEN PHOTOSHOPPED ON.

In all fairness if he truly had a Switch, he'd have already downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo from the japanese eShop.

TI82

Banned
While flawed I still enjoy the thing? I think it's Nintendo's first GOOD system since the Gamecube?

liquidtmd

Banned
First party software! But if they don't address Metroid and Pokemon in the FIRST year then I have a personally have a problem.

ALSO: I'd have killed a man for this system if they would have ported all the Wii U exclusives to this for launch. What a missed opportunity!

Get the feeling we're gonna be waiting till year 2 before Nintendo even mention Metroid and Pokémon.

Because Nintendo.

With the nature of their schedule I don't think it'll be long before more Wii U ports get announced. They'd be mad if Tropical Freeze didn't make a quick jump over with Smash getting more love for a Deluxe style port.

JoeNut

Well I'm enjoying it op. I understand some of your points but to be honest I just want to play games on it, and that's what I'm doing, and it works

PantsuJo

The OP wrote valid points for criticize the Switch and he just proves that he has a Switch (so no stealth hate post).

I don't understand your hate, guys.

Is just so difficult to discuss strengths and weaknesses of your new console?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
While flawed I still enjoy the thing? I think it's Nintendo's first GOOD system since the Gamecube?

In terms of hw industrial design I agree
In terms of pure enjoyment themail Wii gave me a lot out of the box
Switch is giving me similar vibes btw but I hope 2 things

1. They actually fill all he services holes thee system has right now (cloud saves, friend list, Web browser for istance)
2. They give us ALL in terms of software merging portable and home software streams

Is just so difficult to discuss strengths and weaknesses of your new console?

I think the reaction is mostly because of the lens of it being framed as a failing, along with several sentiments that the controllers are nothing more than a novelty (in the bad way).

openrob

The simple question is whether most of these issues can be worked out and implemented in the next 6 months. If not then I really have to wonder about the long term security of the company.

It is not just this console, but they have seemingly not done much better than hey did with the Wii U. Actually scratch that, they have done worse. They have removed he features that made the Wii U worthwhile.

The OS stuff specifically. I mean with the release of the Nintendo Account and all that, I thought we were done with friend codes! Fucking freind codes lol. No Miiverse. Come on! And nothing to replace it. This is my biggest concern.

I can sort of understand the lack of a browser for security concerns, but no Youtube? Netflix?

Essentially it is the inability to learn and grow.
Sad, because I really, REALLY love Nintendo

Spy

I think the reaction is mostly because of the lens of it being framed as a failing, along with several sentiments that the controllers are nothing more than a novelty (in the bad way).
Everyone keeps quoting me as saying the Switch is a failure when I never said that. I said where "Nintendo has failed in regards to the Switch" and listed all of my points where yes, they have failed.

ryseing

Just wait unti the Ditects start rolling, every month will be like Christmas and every Direct like E3. Each month a aurprise game will be released and features will be added.
Gamecube virtual console, video recording, netflix, browser and other apps, Mario Sunshine HD, FZero Online, Metroid, Online Virtual console, Mother 3, Four Swords, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Platinum 202 & Bayo 3, Xeno 2, Pokemon, Wave Race, Nintendo Sports Club, Nintendo Fit, Arms, MK8, Spla2, FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey. This will be the best year a console ever had.

Is Nintendo going to buy me a puppy too?

If half of those unnanounced games and features happen I will eat a hat.

Just reading the general discussion ITT- the reason so many are particularly angry about the Switch is that Nintendo yet again seems like they're a decade behind. They give me no confidence they can fix the issues mentioned because they still haven't done so on previous platforms. The PS4 launch wasn't perfect but at least Sony showed they could evolve throughout the PS3's lifetime. I had faith they would get their ducks in a row and they have done so. When is Nintendo going to?

DVCY201

It is not just this console, but they have seemingly not done much better than hey did with the Wii U. Actually scratch that, they have done worse. They have removed he features that made the Wii U worthwhile.

I can sort of understand the lack of a browser for security concerns, but no Youtube? Netflix?

Well, I guess the benefit would be the new hardware itself that is superior to the Wii U in messaging and design. So I don't think they've done worse.

This is a genuine question, has the Netflix and YouTube app been ever ready for a console launch? I rarely use it, but recognize its importance. But the Browser NEEDS to come back soon, please. I used it so much for streaming on the Wii U

It was rushed because the Wii U was a colossal flop. And it shows. Hopefully in 12 months it's more fully realized and it is still viable
I don't think it was rushed. Nintendo had plenty of time, especially with using an external partner for online. How many times are they gonna get this pass? With every system they release? I think they released it as it is because this is how they want it to be, and regardless of common conventions in the industry. That apparent Reggie comment about friend codes being gone lend credence to the theory that he is just a mouthpiece and actually has no idea what's going on because NCL is calling the shots.

NAPK1NS

Sorry, man. Everyone I've spoken to loves the console and loves Zelda. A few people who have stopped by to see it have mentioned picking one up a some point. Nindendid it.

Yes I think it's a great idea to highlight its current failings. There's many reasons in the OP why I've not invested and I'm sure that's the same for the majority. It feels like a rushed system simple as. It's like it's not ready for prime time but they released in now to soft launch it in disregard of making sure the launch was nigh on perfect. And after the WiiU fail they really needed to come out of the gates all guns blazing.

Sure lots can be fixed in time just like the failings of other systems but for it's initial launch it's lacking or having key issues that you really don't want. The more people know about its failings the sooner hopefully Nintendo can get about fixing them. It really will be interesting to come back in a year or two and see where it is and if they improved anything.

Right now though OP highlights some significant weaknesses that are going to hurt the systems appeal and image. People in here trying to bury their heads in the sand should be looking at the bigger picture here. The problems won't go away by putting your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes. They need to be discussed if the Switch is going to be in any way successful.

Jubenhimer

I don't think it was rushed. Nintendo had plenty of time, especially with using an external partner for online. How many times are they gonna get this pass? With every system they release? I think they released it as it is because this is how they want it to be, and regardless of common conventions in the industry. That apparent Reggie comment about friend codes being gone lend credence to the theory that he is just a mouthpiece and actually has no idea what's going on because NCL is calling the shots.

Did they though? The Switch began development sometime in 2014. By 2015, the Wii U's fate had been sealed, and it's successor was already announced. Look it's clear to everyone this system should've been released later this holiday. Nintendo system may have lackluster online functionality, but they are never this barebones and unpolished at launch.

Zemm

Eh seems like a pretty standard console launch to me. When was the last time there was one that didn't have some of the issues you've listed? I don't agree with most of them but the one I do agree with the most is the accessories pricing, absolutely ridiculous what they're doing with stuff like the dock and charge grip.

groansey

Sorry, man. Everyone I've spoken to loves the console and loves Zelda. A few people who have stopped by to see it have mentioned picking one up a some point. Nindendid it.

Let's wait to see how the thing sells, shall we?

It's not like folks on GAF generally want a Nintendo console to fail.

Geez. Are we at this point now?

What is next? Proof of ownership required for GOTY voting thread?

From this point forward, proof of ownership is required for any game, console, or PC you talk about on GAF. If you don't own it, you're not allowed to talk about it!

This would be one sad forum if that happened

T.O.P

Banned
I'm loving it honestly

Features will come, for now I'm happy enough to be playing one of the best games ever made on the go

Butane123

I don't own a Switch yet, and as of right now I don't have a plan to get one soon due to financial obligations and the fact my PS4 died and I want to get a PS4 Pro before anything right now.

That being said, I'm interested in seeing where Nintendo takes the Switch. I don't really feel like they know exactly where to position it within the market so far due to them saying it is not a replacement for the 3DS, but the ability to make it into a successor to it and the Wii U is there. Maybe they have directly said something, which in case I just haven't heard which is on me.

I know what I want it to be. I want it to merge what I like about console gaming, my 3DS, and my tablet gaming all into one device. I want a portable machine with (some of) the graphical fidelity and online connectivity/ease-of-use as a PS4 or Xbox. I'd love to see mainline Fire Emblem and Pokemon games with Street Pass functionality like on the 3DS. And finally, I'd love to be able to boot up my media apps I have on my tablet and phone like Spotify and such while being able to play my main tablet games like Hearthstone and FTL (Yes, I know both are on PC).

That's what I want, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility of the Switch to do that, but I do feel Nintendo has a sense of stubbornness about them that would make it less likely for that to actually happen. I'll most likely get one in the future, but I'm just cautious about it right now because I want to see what the system will turn into.

Top Bottom