• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's my take on how PlayStation can continue to strive in Japan.

Derktron

Banned
So it seems that Nintendo is striving so much in Japan where some in the industry claim that Sony is slowly losing interest in Japanese gamers. Here's my suggestion to Sony revive the PlayStation Portable and make it where people in Japan would buy and not make the same mistakes you did that killed off the Playstation Vita. For me personally, I can see them coming back up from Japan where they can strive even more than they usually do. Also, I know it may be sensitive for some but they also need to cut down on the censorship where Nintendo which people still claim they are a "Family Company" allows some things to not be censored I hear a lot of gamers in Japan don't like that sort of things. So you tell me what's wrong with the picture. Another thing I wanted to mention, it would be nice if Sony revived some of their old classics like The Legend of Dragoon and Killzone and so forth. There are so many things I can think of for Sony to do but one of the main things I can see Sony doing in keeping themselves up float in Japan is to seriously consider reviving the Playstation Portable console.

What are your thoughts?

TLZ

Banned
Portable is defo the way in Japan, or at least, a smaller size console. But it's better just having a portable over there that outputs to TV.

Derktron

Banned
Portable is defo the way in Japan, or at least, a smaller size console. But it's better just having a portable over there that outputs to TV.
I think that's the way to keep the decline down. I mean look at Nintendo.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because that's their homeland and major devs like Square-Enix and Capcom and so forth are from Japan too. What an ignorant and stupid thing to even ask.
Last time I checked pc and Microsoft aren't from Japan, and AFAIK they get games as well from Capcom and Square Enix.

What makes my comment Arrogant and stupid? Why are you such a nationalist?

isoRhythm

Banned
Because that's their homeland and major devs like Square-Enix and Capcom and so forth are from Japan too. What an ignorant and stupid thing to even ask.
Have you considered that the people buying Square's & Capcom's games are outside of Japan

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't think Sony cares. The big money is in rest of world.

If Sony really cared, they:

- Would make more Japanese centric games
- Spend time and money buying Japanese devs
- Would leave Sony gaming HQ in Japan instead of move it to California
- Would spend put more resources into AAA budget games from their Japanese studios. Heck, even a samurai game Ghost of Tsushima was made by Sucker Punch. An American studio based in Bellevue, WA

Orta

Banned
Japan has made its choice and it sure as shit ain't the Playstation. It's gamers aren't interested in what Sony has to offer so that should be respected.

Derktron

Banned
Last time I checked pc and Microsoft aren't from Japan, and AFAIK they get games as well from Capcom and Square Enix.

What makes my comment Arrogant and stupid? Why are you such a nationalist?
Why are you so ignorant, seems like my thread has made you salty over the fact that Sony is in a decline. Because they focus too much on American movies-like games. But again me giving out a suggestion makes me some sort of a damn Nationalist. Give me a damn break.

isoRhythm

Banned
Don't think Sony cares. The big money is in rest of world.

If Sony really cared, they:

- Would make more Japanese centric games
Has there even been more "Japanese centric" games than GoT or Shenmue in recent years? Or does "Japanese centric" mean games with "lolis" & "waifus"?

But I agree, every game thats come out of Japan studio or games they've supported have been golden. Even the smaller games like Loco Roco, Patapon, and TLG. I'm sure the positive reception for Astro & DeS might change things a bit

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Japan has made its choice and it sure as shit ain't the Playstation. It's gamers aren't interested in what Sony has to offer so that should be respected.
Yes because Sony refuses to listen to their main customers. Look at Nintendo compared to what Sony is doing now. You think this won't affect Japanese devs. It's one of the many reasons why Microsoft is trying to make a name for themselves in Japan when it comes to developers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m all excited about Elden Ring and Resident Evil Village. I’m always shocked to hear that Japan isn’t the ahead in terms of sales figures. Those two games as well as Final Fantasy are franchises/developers to be proud of. Our cafes/theme parks are beercades and credit card style token system arcades filled with racing and hunting games. In Japan you have Reaident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Final Fantasy themed places to eat and drink.

Is western sales keeping the Square-Enix cafe up and running? Is Japan more about Final Fantasy XIV and Monster Hunter World? I have a lot of weird questions. I wonder how well Village and Elden Ring will sell in Japan versus the west. Of course those aren’t exclusives. Last time I checked the Xbox wasn’t exactly doing great either. The Switch sales make me think that you have more families buying the console or people who want to rebuy a game that a lot of us played two console cycles ago.

The only reasoning I see Animal Crossing selling so well is because the game doesn’t require a lot out of the player. You can have a pretty peaceful time living on your island.

The_Mike

Why are you so ignorant, seems like my thread has made you salty over the fact that Sony is in a decline. Because they focus too much on American movies-like games. But again me giving out a suggestion makes me some sort of a damn Nationalist. Give me a damn break.
Still. What makes me arrogant?
And why, out of everyone on this forum, should i be salty over Sony is in a decline in Japan?
To me, it sucks if any of the concerns are in a decline. But let's be real, having lost Japan at the cost of gaining the rest of the world doesn't sound that bad in my ears.

The right question is: Why should I care since I don't live in Japan?
You could also put it like that. The most correct question should sound like:
Why should anyone buy Sony care?

Edit: Some typos.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I dont think there's any merit to Sony not giving as much focus to Japan. Seems like early launch FUD. They were very Western on PS3/4 but they still had collaborations with studios there. There's no evidence to suggest things will change this gen.

jakinov

The gaming division of Sony is all US centered now (it's literally where their HQ is). Japan being the homeland doesn't mean shit in terms of business. Square-Enix and Capcom may be from Japan, but they operate worldwide and aren't going to stop supporting PlayStation if the Japanese gaming market declines. So those two having Japanese origins isn't any reason for PlayStation/Sony to really care about making sure they survive there.

Unknown?

Right... PS4 had Monster Hunter World, FFXV, FF7R, DQ11, Yakuza and way more high profile games than PS3 but it still did worse. It's a shift away from consoles to portable not away from playstation.

Moogle11

Banned
Portable is definitely the way to go. And heavily tout remote play for those who also buy a PS5 as a selling feature for both.

That and/or just get cloud gaming working well so people can play PS5 games on their phones, tablets etc. with DualSense's paired.

Edit: Or maybe a portable that works with PSVR. A higher resoultion, cordless headset could be a nice option for the market that doesn't own TVs (which seems to be growing over there). That can provide a simulated big screen experience for non-VR games as well.

Last edited:

InDaGulag

Also, I know it may be sensitive for some but they also need to cut down on the censorship where Nintendo which people still claim they are a "Family Company" allows some things to not be censored I hear a lot of gamers in Japan don't like that sort of things.

Otaku games are not mega popular in Japan. The best sellers list in Japan for the Switch is dominated by 'family friendly' games, not Anime School Girl Simulator 37. Hell the best selling 3rd party game for the Switch in Japan is Minecraft. Like everywhere else in the world, Japanese gamers are more than only horny men between the ages of 10-30. Cutting back on 'censorship' would do jack shit to help PlayStation in Japan.

Now making a portable console would help. But the issue is none of the games built for PlayStation 4/5 are built for how low spec a portable machine would have to be. Sony would have to essentially double it's dev budget or divert funds from existing development to create games for a PSP 3. Whereas Nintendo only has to worry about creating games for one console spec. Plus a PSP 3 would have the trouble of competing with the Switch, App Store, Google Play Store, and Mobile GamePass.

So why gamble billions of dollars when the mainline console biz is doing just fine for them?

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
To me, it sucks if any of the concerns are in a decline. But let's be real, having lost Japan at the cost of gaining the rest of the world doesn't sound that bad in my ears.
"He sold his mother and his soul in exchange for the latest Bugatti Veyron, but let's be real, that doesn't sound that bad in my ears".

It is EXACTLY like that.

We already have a western gaming behemoth (Microsoft) and a "family-oriented" company (Nintendo). We, as gamers, lost the eastern-soul games that only the PlayStation brought here. =/

geordiemp

Yes because Sony refuses to listen to their main customers. Look at Nintendo compared to what Sony is doing now. You think this won't affect Japanese devs. It's one of the many reasons why Microsoft is trying to make a name for themselves in Japan when it comes to developers.

Who are sonys main customers - the 120 million users who bought ps4 and play Sony games ?

Or the Japanese mobile centric market that also plays Nintendo handhelds, Gatchas and the like.

You might want to think that through a bit more.

If sony want revenue in Japan, they may as well make a mobile game.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
There's too many games on each system anyway. I can't keep up.

Flirty Reaction GIF by moodman

Yoboman

Sony can't cater to Japan first because the rest of the world wants cutting edge console hardware

But they should do something like a $299 handheld that plays PS5 games in 720p. Dont brand it as a separate handheld like PSP and Vita where they were ultimately constrained by limited libraries. Its just a PS5 Portable.

Will probably take a few years before the tech is there to make that possible though

InDaGulag

But they should do something like a $299 handheld that plays PS5 games in 720p. Dont brand it as a separate handheld like PSP and Vita where they were ultimately constrained by limited libraries. Its just a PS5 Portable.

There's no way in hell you're selling a portable console can that can run PS5 games in 720p for $299.

Take a gander at the GDP Win 3, a handheld PC that's much more powerful than the Switch. It's also massive and expensive.

And even it won't be playing most PS5 games at 720p.

AmuroChan

Sony's strategy in Japan is to lean on their mobile games rather than PlayStation. Fate/Grand Order alone has grossed over $4 Billion for them. That's a game that didn't need a $150m budget and a 250-person AAA studio to make. IMO, that's a better path forward for them. Have SIE focus on PS5 and PSVR. Let Sony Music/Aniplex handle gaming in Japan via their mobile offerings.

The_Mike

"He sold his mother and his soul in exchange for the latest Bugatti Veyron, but let's be real, that doesn't sound that bad in my ears".

It is EXACTLY like that.

We already have a western gaming behemoth (Microsoft) and a "family-oriented" company (Nintendo). We, as gamers, lost the eastern-soul games that only the PlayStation brought here. =/
It sucks if you enjoy these games, but Sony didn't just take the switch because of they wanted to copy Microsoft, which is already the underdog.

The Japanese games are niche, and that's why Sony is turning away from it. I know many of you love the Japanese games in here but truth is they aren't the titles that sells the most.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yes, I was gonna say that. There have been many generations of non-portable consoles that sold very well over there.

Smaller console, the right kinds of games, and the right marketing. That would help tremendously. They're certainly not gonna snatch the #1 place from Nintendo overnight, but they could still do okay by sticking to their big guns, and making a few changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
Why should Sony care about Japan when they own the rest of the world?
Because Sony isn't Microsoft. Because Sony were previously successful with the PS1 and PS2 in both Japan and the rest of the world. Because what made PlayStation interesting in the first place was that they were cutting-edge and developed and published games that appealed to Japanese and western audiences thereby reaching a global audience, not just one or the other.

I don't understand why some people act like Japanese developers and Japanese gamers only care for mobile and handheld gaming. Is it because Nintendo is so successful and they forget about the many Japanese games you can play on the PS3, PS4, PS5? Do you think the only real success is being number one? Imagine if Sony just decided one day to never release a new PlayStation or any games in Japan and their reasoning for that was because they were doing pretty good in the rest of the world. It wouldn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Because Sony isn't Microsoft. Because Sony were previously successful with the PS1 and PS2 in both Japan and the rest of the world. Because what made PlayStation interesting in the first place was that they were cutting-edge and developed and published games that appealed to Japanese and western audiences, not just one or the other.

I don't understand why some people act like Japanese developers and Japanese gamers only care for mobile and handheld gaming. Is it because Nintendo is so successful and they forget about the many Japanese games you can play on the PS3, PS4, PS5? Do you think the only real success is being number one? Imagine if Sony just decided one day to never release a new PlayStation or any games in Japan and their reasoning for that was because they were doing pretty good in the rest of the world. It would be crazy.
Well that last situation is not going to happen so lets forget that. I think people here are just like, "Why should Sony spend more of their focus on a market that doesn't seem to care about them because they're not Nintendo?". For Sony to be even competitive in Japan now they would have to have software that appeals to both Japan and the rest of the world at the same time while not alienating their other markets. And then on top of that, Sony would need more developers that focus exclusively on Japan to bring those unique experiences back that people liked in the past. But all of this would cost billions and years they could have spent elsewhere on the other markets. But even then there's no guarantee the Japanese market would still care.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Depends on what you consider a struggle Microsoft is dead last in Japan so even if Sony does Bomb in Japan the rest of the world is next

The_Mike

Because Sony isn't Microsoft.

Apparently they are, or have become, by your logic.

When I talk to people about what made PS1 and PS2 great, no one ever mentions the Asian games. Its the unique titles Sony had that could not be found on pc.

Crash Bandicoot, Syphon Filter, Loaded, WipEout, twisted metal.

Okay final fantasy and tekken could be seen as Japanese titles, but they aren't unique in the style of anime and such we see today.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I’m all excited about Elden Ring and Resident Evil Village. I’m always shocked to hear that Japan isn’t the ahead in terms of sales figures. Those two games as well as Final Fantasy are franchises/developers to be proud of. Our cafes/theme parks are beercades and credit card style token system arcades filled with racing and hunting games. In Japan you have Reaident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Final Fantasy themed places to eat and drink.

Is western sales keeping the Square-Enix cafe up and running? Is Japan more about Final Fantasy XIV and Monster Hunter World? I have a lot of weird questions. I wonder how well Village and Elden Ring will sell in Japan versus the west. Of course those aren’t exclusives. Last time I checked the Xbox wasn’t exactly doing great either. The Switch sales make me think that you have more families buying the console or people who want to rebuy a game that a lot of us played two console cycles ago.

The only reasoning I see Animal Crossing selling so well is because the game doesn’t require a lot out of the player. You can have a pretty peaceful time living on your island.

With the world going shit its no wonder they want to fall back to therapeutic games like Animal Crossing over strenuous games with dystopia setting.

Apparently they are, or have become, by your logic.

When I talk to people about what made PS1 and PS2 great, no one ever mentions the Asian games. Its the unique titles Sony had that could not be found on pc.

Crash Bandicoot, Syphon Filter, Loaded, WipEout, twisted metal.

Okay final fantasy and tekken could be seen as Japanese titles, but they aren't unique in the style of anime and such we see today.
Well yeah, I also liked Jet Moto, Twisted Metal: Black, SOCOM II, MotorStorm, but just as well Siren and other Japanese survival horror defined PlayStation for me.

No, not everything Sony puts out sells millions of copies but then why not just put more money into marketing these games instead of just the usual AAA blockbuster experiences?

Last edited:

ranmafan

For Sony to compete in Japan again the way it did in the PS1 and PS2 era, it’s going to need to do some major things.this is going to be long but it’s based on my observations and conversations with people here in my nearly two decades living in Japan.

1. First, get supply into the country. This is so important and needs to be stressed. The low sales of the PS5 at launch is only due to this huge issue. There is no supply, but there is more than plenty of demand here. But the longer Sony keeps systems away from Japan while sending a majority of systems to the west is just going to continue to make people here frustrated. And when gamers are frustrated here they will just pick up a switch.

2. Change the marketing. Sony used to have some of the best commercials in Japan for gaming. They were funny and interesting and got people talking. Today the commercials are simple, not interesting, and honestly boring. And it doesn’t do a good enough job to showcase why playstation is worth it. Some style but no flash. And it’s geared to a specific audience, older gamers and hardcore Otaku gamers. Which can be probmatic Which leads me to my next part,

3. Sony has to expand its gaming focus and library past what it does now to include games for everyone. In the near two decades I’ve lived in Japan I’ve seen kids go from loving the PlayStation brand to literally not even recognizing the logo. The brand today is so focused on a certain group of gamers that most people are left out. playstation used to be the all you need and all you want system in Japan with games that focused on all groups. It’s time to do that again. Nintendo has games for every group, every part of society In Japan from Mario and Momotaro Dentsu, to hardcore Otaku games. It satisfies the entire spectrum of gamer in Japan. And while having one of the most powerful systems on the market might be something Sony likes to mention, it’s not that big of a deal here. The game could look like shit but play amazing and gamers will dig it. Gameplay has and always will be more important here than whatever resolution and teraflops the system can do.

4. don’t allow your major hits to go to the competition. The biggest blow to Sony in the last two generations, was losing its biggest third party game to Nintendo, monster Hunter. That loss resurrected the 3ds and killed the vita overnight. And not just that it hurt the PlayStation brand in general. We have seen how big monster Hunter did when it came back to playstation, so Sony needs to hold onto those games tightly if it wants to keep gamers. Make PlayStation a place that you know is going to be the only place you can play these games. Sure people don’t like exclusivity but if Sony wants to compete it will need to step up and do it.

5. more variety in Games. You got great experiences that Japanese gamers like. Great, keep up at that. Ghost of tsushima was a huge win for japan. Push them even more. And go for other big titles and franchises. They have a Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) game coming this year. Advertise the hell out of it. Make sure every kid in the country knows it. That franchise is so huge now and can help Sony even if the game sucks. And again spread out the variety. Sure you got the hardcore market, but that market keeps getting smaller each year as people get older. This isnt the west where keep playing games into adulthood. Most dont.

6. I don’t think they need to push for a portable here as people always state. Yes gamers here in Japan love portables for their convenience, which is an important aspect to the market. But even with that look at Nintendo’s sales. The regular switch dominates over the lite. Why? It has games people want to play, and games people want to play on the tv. Yes believe it or not Japanese gamers like the tv option. It’s a plus not a minus.

7. The censorship issue needs to be addressed. While Sony needs to focus on regaining the majority of the market it’s also losing hardcore fans due to the censorship of games. Some of this is due to CERO’s draconian rules and meaningless z rating but a lot of it is due to Sony themselves and it’s making game developers mad and shifting games that would’ve been small but nice hits for the system to Nintendo, which is more willing to take in those games. And this is a big issue for everyone here. Look at how Nintendo pissed off gamers here during the marketing of Tokyo mirage sessions #fe where they lied to gamers and then admited the game had the western censorship. They ended up having to give refunds to preorders online for the first time ever for that and that censorship mistake made a huge dent in the release and sales of the game here.

And last the most important thing, this is going to be a long term battle for Sony. They can’t at this moment change the momentum on a dime. They have made too many mistakes here since the PS3 while Nintendo makes almost none. The sales of the switch and it’s games are due to that and due to Nintendo rightfully reading the market and making the games and the deals needed to win over everyone. And having systems that are unique and convenient and cool for all here helps the most. But ps5 and whatever Sony has in the future can be shown to be just as cool and convenient to gamers and just as worthful of a system. Focus on their strengths, superior online over nintendo which is good for things like fortnite which is big here. Focus on cool things like the duelsense features which Nintendo doesn’t have. Bring in important franchises and advertise them like they used to it’s the good days. Use those great studios you have to not only make these amazing experiences older gamers enjoy but also make and push games everyone can enjoy. Make sure people know Astrobot exists. Keep pushing vr as it’s been a plus here. And many more things.

do I think Sony can do it, I’m not sure. They have dug a hole here that’s quite big to get out of. And having the us branch decide everything now hurts it in Japan. But if they start making changes now they can make a difference. There are plenty of franchises here that thrive on PlayStation but don’t on switch. The goal for Sony is to find a way to make it so that more games and franchises do. They have a long road ahead that’s for sure. But I have to stress again, the longer they keep the ps5 out of the hands of Japanese gamers by limiting stock here, the less of a chance they can make any comeback against the switch.

FrozenFlame

The real question is why does Sony keep paying big bucks to people to come up with ideas for their business when they can get them for FREE on the internet?

DavidGzz

Sony fans make fun of MS for releasing a Series S because "it will hold back the generation." so I doubt that releasing a handheld that will be weaker than the S will make them happy. Why would we want Sony to have to make games playable on a weak handheld when we want them to push the PS5? I think Japan wants different things than the rest of the world, let it be Nintendoland for all I care. Japanese devs will still make games for the rest of the world.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Sony can not do a magic thing to take japan back from nintindo

the real problem is in japanese consumers

they do not like console and high profile big budget games anymore

they prefer handheld and mobile gaming now

the rest of the world like AAA gaming even japanese devs do AAA games for western consumers and they are their target audience

best thing sony can do is to take care of their japan studio and make great games for their consumers regardless japanese or rest of the world

MagnesG

Banned
So it seems that Nintendo is striving so much in Japan where some in the industry claim that Sony is slowly losing interest in Japanese gamers. Here's my suggestion to Sony revive the PlayStation Portable and make it where people in Japan would buy and not make the same mistakes you did that killed off the Playstation Vita. For me personally, I can see them coming back up from Japan where they can strive even more than they usually do. Also, I know it may be sensitive for some but they also need to cut down on the censorship where Nintendo which people still claim they are a "Family Company" allows some things to not be censored I hear a lot of gamers in Japan don't like that sort of things. So you tell me what's wrong with the picture. Another thing I wanted to mention, it would be nice if Sony revived some of their old classics like The Legend of Dragoon and Killzone and so forth. There are so many things I can think of for Sony to do but one of the main things I can see Sony doing in keeping themselves up float in Japan is to seriously consider reviving the Playstation Portable console.

What are your thoughts?
They just need to fix what they had been doing wrong with Vita. No more hidden charges like the proprietary memory cards, and the ability to actually support the system long term. Former is fixable but the latter is almost impossible now that they had pretty much abandoned AA japanese centric games development, and them needing to focus fully on PS5.

Top Bottom