• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's my take on how PlayStation can continue to strive in Japan.

Lethal01

Thing is it sold very well in Japan.

Not as well as momotaro.

Joking, but the point is that when people are talking about Japanese centric they are talking about games made specifically to appeal to Japan. Being about japan is just a single part of appealing to something. So saying ghost of tsushima is "THE MOST JAPANESE CENTRIC GAME EVER" because it's set in a realistic Japan is just insane.

Like, imagine if you just made Kratos into a girl then claimed God of War was "for girls".

Not as well as momotaro.

Joking, but the point is that when people are talking about Japanese centric they are talking about games made specifically to appeal to Japan. Being about japan is just a single part of appealing to something. So saying ghost of tsushima is "THE MOST JAPANESE CENTRIC GAME EVER" because it's set in a realistic Japan is just insane.

Like, imagine if you just made Kratos into a girl then claimed God of War was "for girls".
But Sony only has one developer that make those kind of Japanese centric games. Unless you're asking Sony to acquire more studios just for Japan, this is a fruitless endeavor.

Lethal01

But Sony only has one developer that make those kind of Japanese centric games. Unless you're asking Sony to acquire more studios just for Japan, this is a fruitless endeavor.
"Just for Japan" Japanese people also enjoy western games. Tons of western people enjoy Japanese games. You don't have to go to the level of Momotaro but they could stand to get some more Persona's or atleast FF7's in the mix.

"Just for Japan" Japanese people also enjoy western games. Tons of western people enjoy Japanese games. You don't have to go to the level of Momotaro but they could stand to get some more Persona's or atleast FF7's in the mix.
Well now you're getting in the realm of "what if's" and that is something I'm not betting on. They'll get the same Japanese support they always have unless Sony wants to go aggressive and start buying developers and signing exclusive deals just to fill this "void".

bxrz

Japan is an incredibly small Market.

Sony has sold 113,000,000 PS4s (Roughly)
Nintendo has sold 68,000,000 Switches (Roughly)
Microsoft has sold 48,000,000 Xbox Ones (Roughly)

Sony is doing more right than Microsoft and Nintendo, they almost outsold both their competitors combined.

Edit: I excluded Xbox One X and PS4 Pro sales. Not sure if they're combined with the figures I found.
Japan is a moderate big market. Its the reason the 360 didn’t beat the PS3 in sales when it should’ve

Woopah

The "for Japan" or "for the West" discussion is only possible if you ignore Nintendo. It's hard to argue that Mario Kart 8, BOTW, Clubhouse Games, Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Pokémon SnS are doing well in the country because they are "Japan-focused games."
Aren't there more PlayStation users than any other platform in us? I found anything else hard to believe.

Switch is currently outpacing PS4 launch aligned in North America. In Europe it is more mixed as in some countries PS4 does better (UK) while in others Switch does better (France).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The "for Japan" or "for the West" discussion is only possible if you ignore Nintendo. It's hard to argue that Mario Kart 8, BOTW, Clubhouse Games, Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Pokémon SnS are doing well in the country because they are "Japan-focused games."

Switch is currently outpacing PS4 launch aligned in North America. In Europe it is more mixed as in some countries PS4 does better (UK) while in others Switch does better (France).

I seriously didn't know that. I thought Sony dominated everywhere (except in Japan obviously.)

Any idea why they are mostly dominating Europe while Nintendo seems to own USA?

NahaNago

Sony is just weird when it comes to Japan and Japanese Otaku like things. They corner the market on all things anime in the west and they were the dominant place to play jrpgs but they won't actually make either of those things. ( Do they make anime and I'm not aware?)

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Japan has made its choice and it sure as shit ain't the Playstation. It's gamers aren't interested in what Sony has to offer so that should be respected.

Its not Sony or Nintendo they care about. Its portable machines. Otherwise the Wii U would of been a hit right?

They care about portable machines, portable games, Niche Japanese games, some classics and JRPG’s.

PS4 selling 10 million units in Japan isn’t anything to complain about. Its pretty good.
The Wii sold like 12 million a console at half the price of the PS4/PS3. Switch 17 million because its a hybrid portable/Console. Wii U sold like 3 million?
So not like Nintendo sells great all the time Because of name.

So don't celebrate too early bud. PS5 sold out in Japan and theres a global shortage.

What Sony needs is some more Japanese centric games, Carry on with the JRPG’s like last gen. More classics and more niche smaller titles.
And use more of the anime connections they have. Buying some Japanese studios would be good.

A new portable would be great. The Vita was a disaster because of the lack of games and memory cards. Both which wont be an issue if they release PSP3. They can use the PS4/PS5 library on the portable PSP3 like Switch does and they can use a Micro SD card too

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They just need to fix what they had been doing wrong with Vita. No more hidden charges like the proprietary memory cards, and the ability to actually support the system long term. Former is fixable but the latter is almost impossible now that they had pretty much abandoned AA japanese centric games development, and them needing to focus fully on PS5.

I think if they share the PS4/PS5 library with the PSP3 like the Switch does, it would be a big hit. Asking studios to make dedicated games for the Vita in this day and age was a mistake. Plus the memory card issue. And yes some smaller AA Japanese centric games would go far.

sunnysideup

Banned
The difference between japan and the west.

Adults dont play videogames, other than time wasters on the phone.

Sony needs to normalize adult game playing.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo is fixated on Japan and design their consoles for better or worse around that market.

I can't really blame Sony for going after the bigger picture.

This isnt really true. Wii U sold 3 million units, Wii sold 12 million units both coming alot cheaper than the PS3 and PS4 which both sold 10 million units.
Its the Nintendo portables that do well. Portables machines, Portables games, niche games

Woopah

I seriously didn't know that. I thought Sony dominated everywhere (except in Japan obviously.)

Any idea why they are mostly dominating Europe while Nintendo seems to own USA?
Hard to tell really, a lot of it depends on the brand power Sony built up with the PS1 and PS2 vs. what Nintendo built up with their consoles/handhelds (the N64 was a much bigger deal in North America than it was in Europe for instance.

Even within Europe Its quite interesting to see how different countries favour different brands. In the graphs below for instance, you'll see that the 3DS did pretty well in France and Switch will outsell the PS4 there. Whereas Nintendo is much weaker in the Nordics and PS4 will win there.

wiglSaj.jpg
osLwr8C.jpg
iNbossI.jpg
zOUKwYS.jpg

JimboJones

This isnt really true. Wii U sold 3 million units, Wii sold 12 million units both coming alot cheaper than the PS3 and PS4 which both sold 10 million units.
Its the Nintendo portables that do well. Portables machines, Portables games, niche games

I said they are designed for that market doesn't necessarily mean they will do well.
The vast majority don't give a shit about the size or energy footprint of a console in the west, both of those where considerations taken when designing those consoles.
The tablet wiiu gamepad was obviously a failed first attempt at what would become the switch.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I also think it's too early in a time where supply is non-existent. Also price is also an issue for Japan.

I wonder if they have a plan just to release a hand held just for asian markets?

Kokoloko85

I said they are designed for that market doesn't necessarily mean they will do well.
The vast majority don't give a shit about the size or energy footprint of a console in the west, both of those where considerations taken when designing those consoles.
The tablet wiiu gamepad was obviously a failed first attempt at what would become the switch.

I just think Nintendo did well with the Switch, they didn’t target it for Japanese Market, just made a hybrid potable and struck gold.

I loved the Wii U, but like the Gamecube and the N64 (Which I also loved ), Japan doesnt care about Nintendo consoles or the name exactly. They care about portable games like Monster hunter and Pokemon. Console wise, its been Playstation since PS1.

iHaunter

Impressively stupid post. Great job.

The PS4 has been out for double to time of the switch... The Switch is at roughly 80million sales while PS5 has broken 10 million. I guess that means Nintendo is doing 10x better than Sony right?
Same gen vs Next gen.

Unfortunately you can't buy common sense.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hard to tell really, a lot of it depends on the brand power Sony built up with the PS1 and PS2 vs. what Nintendo built up with their consoles/handhelds (the N64 was a much bigger deal in North America than it was in Europe for instance.

Even within Europe Its quite interesting to see how different countries favour different brands. In the graphs below for instance, you'll see that the 3DS did pretty well in France and Switch will outsell the PS4 there. Whereas Nintendo is much weaker in the Nordics and PS4 will win there.

wiglSaj.jpg
osLwr8C.jpg
iNbossI.jpg
zOUKwYS.jpg

Didn't expect that at all. I actually thought Sony dominated USA.

So Sony and Nintendo seems to equally dominate around the world, while Microsoft loses everywhere?

Woopah

Didn't expect that at all. I actually thought Sony dominated USA.

So Sony and Nintendo seems to equally dominate around the world, while Microsoft loses everywhere?
Mostly yes. Globally Switch is selling faster overall (even more so since Animal Crossing launched and the lockdowns hit) but there are places like the Nordics and New Zealand where PS4 beats the Switch. I believe PS4 also beats the Switch in the Middle East and Latin America but we don't get a lot of solid data from those areas. That could change in the future as Nintendo is making moves into emerging markets (see recent launches in China and Brazil) but for the next few years I expect Middle East and Latin America to be dominated by Sony

For Microsoft, they've never done well in Asia but they were doing very well in Europe with the 360. They lost that all with the Xbox One, and their European presence outside the UK is now not that big. Having said that, they continue to do well in North America and are very competitive with Sony (although still losing). The US is by far the most competitive of the major markets and I'd say no company truly dominates there.
ODlZwhq.jpg

kmcPSWH.jpg

MagnesG

Banned
I think if they share the PS4/PS5 library with the PSP3 like the Switch does, it would be a big hit. Asking studios to make dedicated games for the Vita in this day and age was a mistake. Plus the memory card issue. And yes some smaller AA Japanese centric games would go far.
It's more than impossible to even create a $300 PS4 portable with the current technology though, and by the time it is possible to do so Nintendo would've already launch Switch 2 around the same specs.

Unless they went down on the subsidy route, no hidden bullshit costs.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It's more than impossible to even create a $300 PS4 portable with the current technology though, and by the time it is possible to do so Nintendo would've already launch Switch 2 around the same specs.

Unless they went down on the subsidy route, no hidden bullshit costs.

The Switch is playing alot of current gen games like Witcher 3, Doom etc With tech from 4 years ago.
Im sure Sony can make a PSP3 by 2023 to play games better. Not saying to use PS4 specs but to be able to play them in portable form like the Switch Does. Plus DLSS type technology would go far.

Instant access to your PS4/5 collection would be a Hit. There will be no shortage of games

Yes agreed, no need to have there own memory cards like the Vita, when they can use micro SD cards.

MagnesG

Banned
The Switch is playing alot of current gen games like Witcher 3, Doom etc With tech from 4 years ago.
Im sure Sony can make a PSP3 by 2023 to play games better. Not saying to use PS4 specs but to be able to play them in portable form like the Switch Does. Plus DLSS type technology would go far.

Instant access to your PS4/5 collection would be a Hit. There will be no shortage of games

Yes agreed, no need to have there own memory cards like the Vita, when they can use micro SD cards.
I'm in the notion where they need to have some sort of virtual machine to readily access PS4 and PS5 library without much costs, which is still impossible at least under 5 years.

If it's a completely new system, possibly with ARM like Switch then yeah. Not sure it could survive without instant ps4/PS5 library though.

yurinka

While in the rest of the world the home console market is growing, in Japan is shrinking because they are moving to mobile. This reached to the point that the Japanese market is becoming irrelevant for the big publishers. Nintendo is in a better shape because Japan always has been a market more focused on handhelds than in home consoles compared to the other countries and now Switch has the monopoly.

If instead of a hybrid Switch would have been a home console only, it would be dead in Japan, in way worse shape than Sony.

But this has very little to do with recent low sales from Sony. Sony didn't sell more consoles because they didn't have stock, they are sold out worldwide. Regarding 'how PlayStation can continue to strive in Japan?', they only need to solve the worldwide supply constrains issues they currently have.

Not sure how fast can Japan adapt the game streaming, but if it's the case a PS Now handheld with no native games or a DualSense attachment for phones could be an option. There isn't a worldwide market for a new PSP or Vita with native games and Sony already has a ton of work supporting PS4, PSVR and specially PS5. In a couple of years, once they discontinue PS4 and PSVR, they will release and support PSVR2. They don't have manpower to properly support native handheld games on top of that, and we saw it with Vita.

They need to focus on the worldwide market, not in Japan. They are breaking gaming history records with PS4 and PS5, and should continue with their current focus. Which is to support the PS5 launch with a ton of games, some of them also available on PS4 to milk the big cow, and in the next year or two to adapt PS Now to the next gen, and then to release PSVR2 in 2023 or so.

Compared to the recent Sony AAA games, Legend of Dragoon and Killzone games had crappy worldwide sales, so in business terms they must continue buried. Regarding JRPG they have almost all the biggest IPs or companies of the market, some of them exclusive and some of them multi. Sony doesn't need to make their own JRPG.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I'm in the notion where they need to have some sort of virtual machine to readily access PS4 and PS5 library without much costs, which is still impossible at least under 5 years.

If it's a completely new system, possibly with ARM like Switch then yeah. Not sure it could survive without instant ps4/PS5 library though.
I mean like BC library. Wii —> Wii U. PS4–> PS5 etc
So whatever games you have on your PS4/PS5 username you can potentially download onto your new PSP3.

Yeah your right it wouldn’t survive without PS4/PS5 library unless going forward they just have a downgraded PSP3 version of every/most PS5 game etc
Its the only chance Sony has with a PSP3

Top Bottom