• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's to U, Wii U

ViolentP

He was saying that you definitely did not ignore this Nintendo thread despite you saying that you ignore everything with the word Nintendo in it.

I got it. I was talking in context of gaming, of course. That would be quite the Achilles Heel if the word alone made me turn around.

Walpurgis

Banned
As a day one Vita owner, I have always looked at the Wii U with admiration. It's been clear to all for years that the Wii U was far beyond saving but Nintendo neither discontinued it nor did they leave it on life support. Instead, they supported it with some of the greatest games in the industry. Some nights I dream about a world where Nintendo controlled the Vita... Sigh.

Haganeren

I'm buying the NX for Monolith Soft's next game. They value story in video games as well as putting a lot of ambition into their games. I'm sick of arcade gameplay featuring cereal box characters.

Well, you can like or hate whatever you want but don't expect much from Nintendo, it will avoid you to be disappointed. That's what i wanted to say.

Personally, i like both so no problem.

TI82

Banned
A complete failure which still had some fun games. I bid you adieu Wii U, hopefully Nintendo learns from your mountains of mistakes and builds upon your successes with the NX. As a lifelong Nintendo fan, I truly hope so.

200.gif

Chorazin

Had a Wii U at launch, sold it.

Just picked up a used one from another GAF member cheap, grabbed Splatoon, Mario Maker, Captain Toad. Gonna grab Xeno X and Bayo 2 eventually. The GF and I will get a lot of play out of Mario and Splatoon, that's for sure!

R00bot

I got it. I was talking in context of gaming, of course. That would be quite the Achilles Heel if the word alone made me turn around.

Ah, gotcha. Hypothetical, what if the NX was really really good, would you change your stance on Nintendo or not give them a chance based on their name?

ironmang

Even if it had some great games I'll still be disappointed with my attempt to get back into nintendo consoles. Bought it a couple years after launch and never really had a reason to be excited about owning it unlike with the PS3 I bought 4 years after launch and still had great games to look forward to each year.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a Wii U and ended up selling it (and a 3DS sold too, while I have no regret selling the Wii U as it's now killed dead even a year or so out from the successor, 3DS I'm a little regretful of considering Monster Hunter Generations is a thing now).

Some great games, sure. Amazing ones, a few of them. But the Wii U itself was such a goddamn mess. My biggest gripe was the launch menu. God that was bad. Will miss Wii U games (if they don't get ported to the NX, and many of the major ones possibly could be), but I certainly won't miss you, Wii U. Good riddance. Hopefully the NX learns from your mistakes.

ViolentP

Ah, gotcha. Hypothetical, what if the NX was really really good, would you change your stance on Nintendo or not give them a chance based on their name?

Absolutely. There is a difference between preference and stubbornness. Disregarding Nintendo is currently the preference built upon my previous experiences with their products. All that means is that the NX has more to prove. If it in fact does, nothing should prevent me from picking it up. As it stands currently however, that is a pretty high hurdle.

Sir TapTap

I don't understand the, "It had some great games, but it sucked," mindset.

How is a console anything more than a box to play games on? How is a console's worth anything more or less than the worth of the games you play on it?

If you played great games on a system, how does that not make it a good system?

A system where it's painful to play games on is still a bad one.

A system clearly holding those games back is still a bad one.

A system that had a stunted library due to the complexity and then value of said system is still a bad one.

The Wii U fucked up in basically every way except games, and all those fuck ups went back to fuck up games too. Bad controls, conservative releases, and I'm sure a bunch of games were pushed to NX.

I don't entirely regret the purchase, but it's still probably the worst console I've owned. Maybe the wii. but the wii's party gimmick was worth some fun at least, even though that aspect was pretty much dead by a year in. At least it was cheap.

Drek

A really great software library tied to a horrible mistake of hardware design, now shafted by Nintendo's inability/unwillingness to follow through on the basic covenant that historically made Nintendo consoles relatively "safe" buys.

To me it stands alongside the Dreamcast and the Vita as platforms that were fantastic despite the repeated failings of their producers to handle the product with anything resembling intelligence or insight.

Mine isn't going anywhere though. When the Splatoon servers get shut off and my wife and I have had our fill of Mario Kart and Rayman Legends we'll box it up, store it, and in about five years when my daughter is old enough to enjoy more robust games I'll break it out and play them all with her again (except Splatoon, obviously).

A really great software library tied to a horrible mistake of hardware design, now shafted by Nintendo's inability/unwillingness to follow through on the basic covenant that historically made Nintendo consoles relatively "safe" buys.

To me it stands alongside the Dreamcast and the Vita as platforms that were fantastic despite the repeated failings of their producers to handle the product with anything resembling intelligence or insight.

Mine isn't going anywhere though. When the Splatoon servers get shut off and my wife and I have had our fill of Mario Kart and Rayman Legends we'll box it up, store it, and in about five years when my daughter is old enough to enjoy more robust games I'll break it out and play them all with her again (except Splatoon, obviously).

This is a great assessment. Well said.

Zero83

As a guy who don't have the slightest interest in playing anything open-world, the Wii U has been quite a gold mine for me. I prefer streamlined experiences with a lot of replay value, games that were much more common before GTA 3 changed the industry.

Playing Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3 have been some of my best times playing video games, ever. DKC: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, NSMBU, Rayman Legends and Smash Bros were excellent too.

I'm even having a blast playing through Star Fox Zero, which I find to be a vast improvement over SF 64. People complain that it's not "ambitious" like No Man's Sky and whatnot, but I'm very thankful that a hugely replayable arcade-like game like this can actually exist in this time and age.

Playing Nintendo games in HD has been a revelation for me, and while the diversity of the Wii U library has been lacking, it has brought me a lot of good times. Its lack of power never bothered me, unlike the Wii.

NDPsycho

Yeah, I can get behind this.

The Wii U basically represents everything I liked about gaming back in the late 90s/early 2000s, which I think was the best the industry's ever been. It's a system where the games have an exceptional amount of polish, didn't feel the need to be super edgy or pandering, and where games are focused on just being games; not overblown cinematic or social experiences. Despite most of the rest of the industry's best efforts, it's a system that remembers what fun is.

And that's kinda cool.

You did an excellent job summarizing what I feel about the system and didn't know how to say it. Nice job!

NYCrooner

Probably the best failure in gaming history. I played the shit out of pretty much every game listed in the OP and then I sold it for a PS4. No regrets. It was a short but sweet relationship.

To many, the Wii U is a commercial failure that came out at the wrong time, had the wrong idea and failed to compete with its direct competition. To others, the Wii U is this:

cgVQa9Z.png

While we didn't get a Metroid, F-Zero or even an exclusive Zelda game we did get some of the best games to ever hit the industry. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers of all time, Splatoon is a fresh take on the industrys most oversaturated genre and Super Mario 3D World is fun burnt onto a disc.

Then we have the games that wouldn't have existed if it wern't for Nintendo's push and support. These are games that were doomed from the start in terms of sales but they exist because theres an audience out there who want them, no matter how small that audience may be. Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third and Project Zero: Maiden of Blackwater. These aren't games that sell a million units in a week, a month or even ever but they are important to a handful of consumers, and its really cool that they were made.

Then we have the budget games like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Yoshi's Woolly World and even Splatoon. Games that focus on providing a fun time without the AAA budget. I want more of these and by the sounds of it this will be a big part of NX's future.

The indie presense on the Wii U is also phenomenal, this isn't a full up to date list but its pretty extensive (great thread too):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172907

The Wii U had its shortcomings, the hardware was limited, the third party support was close to non exsistent but it had its perks. The gamepad could truly offer an enhanced experience as demonstrated by the Zelda remasters, Zombi U, Splatoon, Star Fox Zero and Nintendo Land. Nintendo even lent their properties and partnered with third parties in the case of Pokken, Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros and Wii Sports Club.

Looking back on everything the systems accomplished I'm not just happy with the Wii U, I love it. It may have only sold 13 million units but that means 13 million people bought one system to play one companies games. I think thats pretty special even if its Nintendo's worst performing system.

We've still got Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Paper Mario Colour Splash and The Legend of Zelda to come and while thats a very small lineup they all offer something unique and special to further diversify this fantastic library. I'm all for a fresh start with NX, but the Wii U is not a failure to me. I've had so much fun with this little box.

The Wii U is Captain Toad. Lego City, Nindendo Land, a rehash of NSMB and it's expansion, 2 Zelda remakes, Pokken Tournament, Zombie U, Wii SPorts, Wii Fit, and Wonderful 101?

That's a pretty pathetic line-up. The 3DO, Dreamcast has a better line-up.

The Wii U is Captain Toad. Lego City, Nindendo Land, a rehash of NSMB and it's expansion, 2 Zelda remakes, Pokken Tournament, Zombie U, Wii SPorts, Wii Fit, and Wonderful 101?

Way to cherry pick.

I bought a wii u specifically for Bayonetta 2 so no real regrets because that was my GOTY and one of my favorite games of all time but I disliked/hated just about everything else I tried (22 or 23 of the games in the OP)

If there's no Bayonetta 3 then I guess I'm finished with Nintendo consoles which I would be sad about except they've made 3 in a row now that I didn't like so there's not much sadness to be had

As a day one Vita owner, I have always looked at the Wii U with admiration. It's been clear to all for years that the Wii U was far beyond saving but Nintendo neither discontinued it nor did they leave it on life support. Instead, they supported it with some of the greatest games in the industry. Some nights I dream about a world where Nintendo controlled the Vita... Sigh.

This, so many times. Great post.

Thores

The Wii-U definitely hasn't had a perfect run, but it's resulted in some of my favorite games of this generation, and I'm really fond of the system itself. Off-TV Play is downright revolutionary, and I hope the NX keeps a feature like that intact in some form.

Fun fact, this thread actually inspired me to start a Let's Play series with my roommate, where we give the system a send-off by playing through its exclusive library in chronological order. We're calling it Wii U-Logies. It's a liiiiitle ambitious but we're excited about it right now. New episode every weekday this week!

And yet you left out the Bayonettas, DKCTF, SM3DW, MK8, Splatoon, and Smash...

Good job.

You wanna name off the Dreamcast & 3DO line-ups so we can compare apples to oranges?

Edit: I keep editing this post with games I accidentally omitted. Also, I really can't think of a single Dreamcast/3DO game that I would willingly chose to play over any of the Wii U games listed.

And yet you left out the Bayonettas, DKCTF, SM3DW, MK8, Splatoon, and Smash...

Good job.

You wanna name off the Dreamcast & 3DO line-ups so we can compare apples to oranges?

Edit: I keep editing this post with games I accidentally omitted. Also, I really can't think of a single Dreamcast/3DO game that I would willingly chose to play over any of the Wii U games listed.

Yes I left out those and listed toward the majority of his list.

That means he had to scrap to make the list making the WIi U look worse.

Also I'm pretty sure the'res a DC/3DO game you would play over Captain Toad or Zombie U even if you are bias.

Yes I left out those and listed toward the majority of his list.

That means he had to scrap to make the list making the WIi U look worse.

Also I'm pretty sure the'res a DC/3DO game you would play over Captain Toad or Zombie U even if you are bias.

You're funny.

Go ahead and tell me what they are and stop it with the assumptions.

Look, I owned a Dreamcast and I remember those days fondly, but I don't have any form of revisionist history that's telling me that there are games more enjoyable on the Dreamcast. I know a lot GAF loooooves the Dreamcast, but I just simply don't relate.

EDIT: I've played SM3DW and like the Toad sections, but have never played or purchased Capitan Todd. I would if it went on sale, but Nintendo games don't like to go on sale.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
WiiU did a more than adequate job of keeping me busy while waiting for the PS4 library to pick up...

Mario 3D World is my favorite 3D Mario game by far. While it wasn't a patch on the original, Xenoblade X took me close to 160 hours to beat (the longest I've ever spent on an RPG) and still was one of my favorites of 2015. Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse were some bitesized blasts and showcased some excellent level design (something that a lot of devs have forgotten about but where Nintendo is still unparalleled in). Bayonetta 2 was great although the bosses were a bit too HP-sinky for me. The NES Remix games combined my love with oldskool games with the innovation the WarioWare titles have. Having Mother and Earthbound on VC was a nice boon and enabled me to finally play through the first game legally. (here's hoping 3 is coming!). And Mario Maker is a concept that was a long time coming. Miiverse is a pretty cool social application even for someone like me who generally ignores that kinda stuff.

I haven't even given Yoshi's Wooly World or Tropical Freeze a fair shake, yet. And there's still SMTxFE, which seems up my alley.

Don't get me wrong, the system had a ton of flaws - VC games STILL not tied to your account, and a much weaker selection than Wii. An extremely confusing, unfocused message. Clunky gamepad that wasn't really exploited very much. Weak 3rd party support, even from Japanese devs. Extremely sluggish OS (when the system first launched it was unbearable). Hopefully this all changes with the NX (Nintendo's WiiU + 3DS output combined, a variety of indie titles, along with the amount of 3rd party Japanese 3DS efforts would make for my dream library).

shanafan

Not sure where else to post this, but is NBA 2K13 on the Wii U considered a rare title?

I was trading in another video game on Amazon, and it showed my past purchases's trade-in values, and 2K13 was $21. I was pretty surprised to see that amount for a sports title, so I jumped on eBay and auctions are $50+.

Is this another NCAA College Basketball 2K3 for GameCube thing?

Top Bottom